Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Zojirushi rice maker, with Fuzzy Logic. 8 or 10 different rice settings... you just put the rice in, fill to the water line, close the lid, and hit start; perfect rice every time! Keeps it warm for 12 hours, has a delayed start setting. It also plays Happy Birthday when your rice is done and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star when you start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
This is the one I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-ZCC10-Cooker-Warmer-Premium/dp/B00007J5U7/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1290883743&sr=1-1

Just reminded me, it has a battery, so I've never seen its clock reset, and it's been unplugged for a few weeks at a time before in its 5ish years of service.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Sgs-Cruz posted:

Link? Googling gets me this :cool:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...688&marketID=39

My google search turned up: http://www.thecoolist.com/dry-tech-the-20-coolest-umbrellas-youll-ever-see/

One is an umbrella that powers its LEDS through raindrops... crazy!

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Disciple of Pain posted:

This is untrue, unless your car says that a certain octane level is required, buying higher-than required is not saving you any money or improving your mileage.

If your car requires, say, 93 octane and you put in 89 or 91 (because its all that is available), you will get worse mileage but that is if and only if your car's knock sensor detects predetonation and pulls timing to save your engine.

Well I noticed my MPG increases when using Shell gas vs. Wawa or Sheetz gas... let's just call it that!

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Juriko posted:

The hinge is the weakest part of pretty much any laptop, and a major failing point across the board. Having seen how the average person handles their laptop hinge failure is the least surprising thing on earth.

My 2004 Sony VAIO hinge finally failed a few months ago, after being thrown/kicked on the floor multiple times throughout the years(sometimes hardwood!). It really was a great laptop in the end! The battery didn't even go out until late 2009! On the flip side, I had a friend with almost the exact same model and he was having trouble with it just a year or two after getting it.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
$149.99 for virus removal... I think $99 for OS install... those 2 things are enough to make me hate Geek Squad. Oh yeah and the $99+ backup that only backs up pics and mp3s, oh yeah baby. I think your GS Certified was "GS Optimized" or whatever they call charging $40 to remove the preinstalled BS programs and to make sure your $1k+ product actually works.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Kitsy posted:

I need a recommendation for a really good deep moisturizing hand/foot lotion for someone who lives in a godforsakenly cold place, spends a lot of time working with plants and hands in water (so something thick that will really soak in) and doesn't smell too froo froo, because it's for a guy. I don't mind splurging, but I would prefer to be able to get it from a local store- I live in a decently sized city, so most chains that appear in the southeastern US are available to me.

Soul Owner by Philosophy is the best foot cream ever:

http://www.amazon.com/Philosophy-Owner-Exfoliating-Cream-Ounce/dp/B000OIBUZW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1291729488&sr=1-1

Plus, it's pretty neutral to even slightly manly(eucalyptus) in the smell department.

Sorry, no recommendations for hand cream, I just use a decent quality hand lotion like Aveeno or whatever as needed.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

big mean giraffe posted:

That's the most :smith: thing I've read on here in a while.

Why? It's a male dildo, kinda.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

fordham posted:

Someone recommend me a single malt scotch that I can obtain easily somewhere in Mass.

It's gotta be

a) drat good
b) <$200/bottle

Johnny Walker Blue Label! :) Probably can get it for around $160 or so.

edit: nm, I guess it's blended? I don't know why I'm even trying to recommend a scotch 2nd hand.

ayekappy has a new favorite as of 15:00 on Dec 16, 2010

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
I like how toxoplasmosis even looks like a cat. Too many of them will drive you insane!

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

DrBouvenstein posted:

The reason that set is so cheap is because it's the lovely line of Wusthof knives. While still better than a $10 Wal-Mart knife, they are pretty bad compared to good quality knives. Get the 'Classic' or 'Grand Prix' line from Wustof.

And on that note, also avoid the Henckel 'International' line (only one little man on the logo on the blade.) That is their economy brand. Anything with 'Twin' in the title is a quality Henckel.

But anytime you want to buy a knife, always go to a store that has the exact model, style, and size you want and try it out. The biggest thing that determines if you use a knife is if it's comfortable in your hands. The best knife in the world will go unused if it makes your hand cramp after one minute.

Maybe I just don't do hardcore enough cooking, but combined with a wetstone and regular maintenance, my original Gourmets from like 8 years ago are still holding up fine and cut just as fine as some of the mixed in Grand Prixs and Classics. The one bad thing about the Gourmets is they had stickers, and some fell off.

Although I have to admit my favorite is my giant rear end Classic bread cutter, but I bet the Gourmet wouldn't be much worse, but I did want to avoid having the serrated points bend after time so I chose the safer option just in case.

Who knows though? Maybe their Gourmets have gone down in quality over the years.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

medicin77 posted:

Just want to throw my two cents in on grooming products. I am a huge fan of Every Man Jack.

https://www.everymanjack.com

My skin is allergic to Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, and all of their products are free of it. They also come in great scents, and really help to keep my skin moisturized. I went from trying out their body wash to using almost every product they make because it's soothing and cleans so darn well.

The signature mint body wash in particular is excellent. Just enough tingle to wake you up, not so much that it feels like you've just maced your junk. My grocery store (Fred Meyer) just started carrying the complete line, so I'm pretty psyched about that. I understand you can also find it at Target.

Their shaving cream was horrible though, and I wasn't a fan of the face wash I had gotten from them. Maybe I should have tried the body wash.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
That OBDII stuff is badass. I don't know why I never thought to get something like that. Especially if it can reset the check engine light.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
I always thought making sure to wash your hair with just slightly hot water is one of the best dandruff remedies; coupled with only doing a light drying of the hair w/ towel. Otherwise, the really hot water will just dry your scalp out by taking away your oils amongst other things.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Catkin posted:

Can someone recommend a good HEPA air filter that costs less than $100? I'm allergic to dust and I live in an old-rear end house with two cockatiels and a boatload of cats, so there's dust galore. If it has a a washable/reusable filter, bonus points.

Honeywell hht-149. If you have any friends at Best Buy, the margin is pretty high, you can snag one for a little over $100 and it's totally worth the extra few bucks. Permanent HEPA filter, extra filters, can do a fairly large room 5x an hour, even has a UV light to help kill extra microbes.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

pigdog posted:

Those "shiny and healthy" "natural oils" are actually really loving gross for everybody around you. I had the same retarded idea at middle school :facepalm:

My hair actually looks worse if I shampoo and condition daily. My hair is thin enough I suppose, that merely rinsing it out with warm water gets rid of any excess oils or whatnot. I shampoo and condition maybe once a week or two, although when working especially dirty and sweaty jobs, this probably does go up to daily.

My hair never feels greasy, feels more like cashmere. It's the curse and the gift of having thin hair, besides the sun bleaching my hair really easily.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

TLG James posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Biotene-Plaque-Dissolving-Mouthwash-33-8-Ounce/dp/B002KAOAYA/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1294370091&sr=1-1

This stuff works wonders and I don't have dry mouth. Also Alcohol free.

Seconding this. I don't have drymouth either, but I love Biotene because of its more subtle enzyme approach as opposed to alcohol napalming of germs.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
What's so bad about using a Mach 3?

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Seconding Oral B, I have the Triumph Professional Care 9000. Mine isn't as new and fancy with a pressure sensor, but it does a great job and has multiple heads, although I definitely prefer the one that's circular with 4 special yellow plastic/rubber pieces to get more in between teeth.. I've used the Sonicare and it just didn't seem to do as well in the same 3 minutes.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

An observer posted:

I need black women's shoes/sneakers that I can stand in for 10+ hours a day with minimal aching in knees/calves/heels. Any recommendations?

Dansko

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

JimBobDole posted:

I teach and am on my feet from 7am to 4pm and I swear by Ecco. I can even be in their heels for a full day without aching. Dansko is also good, but the heels come off at lunch.

Okay, I meant this specific clog line.

http://www.dansko.com/Womens/Footwear/Styles/Clogs/

They were designed for people who stand on their feet all day. Lots of doctors wear them. :)

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Lenovo is awesome. They are the anti-Dell... not really that stylish, but a solid workhorse with nice features.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Etrips posted:

Go to a doctor. Get a prescription for a nasal steroid. I was recently having the same problems as you, nasal passage would close up, couldn't breathe quite right. And whenever I would go lay down to sleep, it would get significantly worse. I was also using the nasal decongestant the whole time unknowingly to me, that it was making it worse. So if you're using a nasal decongestant, stop immediately. That stuff is absolutely terrible for you.

Don't be hating on my Pseudoephedrine!

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

melon cat posted:

I'm looking for an air purifier, specifically one that targets mold, ragweed, and other allergens. I'm not picky about price as long as it works!

This is the newer model of the one I got about a year or so ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-HHT...06845714&sr=8-2

Honeywell HHT-145 HepaClean UV Antibacterial HEPA Tower 3-in-1 Air Pur

quote:

Product Features
Whisper-quiet tower air purifier for rooms up to 185 square feet
Germ-fighting UV lights help reduce viruses, bacteria, fungi, and mold spores
Permanent HEPA filter removes up to 99 percent of harmful indoor particles
Odor-control pre-filter; 12 power levels; timer; optional ionizer and oscillation
Measures 11-2/9 by 10 by 28-2/3 inches; 5-year limited warranty

It's kept me in pretty decent shape in this lovely house despite the mold and dust mites that seem to flow from the walls.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Red Baron posted:

I have a really dusty room, and I want to reduce the amount of it just floating around and potentially being all up in my laptop and such. What are my options? I try to dust with swiffers or whatever pretty frequently, but we have a lot of cats and carpet so even though I keep my doors shut I still get some driftage from that I feel like.

Vacuum daily? Brush the cats outside every other day? Paint the room? Air purifier would help too.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Criminal Minded posted:

Any suggestions for carpet steamers? $150 tops, please.

For that price maybe you should just rent a Rug Doctor from your local grocery store. Online at their site you can get a $5 coupon for the unit and $3 off the cleaning product, which makes it like a $15 deal and you get to use it for 24 hours. If you do steam more than twice a year, perhaps you should consider breaking your $150 limit and go with whatever expensive option a goon could recommend.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Intern Dan posted:

Don't do this, they're universally terrible and won't do a decent job. You're probably better off hiring a service at the price point, or

this.

I don't know, maybe it's because the carpet was new, but the Rug Doctor got out all the dog urine stains and smells at my gf's place. Of course, they were blotted up immediately upon being seen and lightly cleaned to begin with. I suppose it is pretty weak with deep stains on older carpets though.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Dudebro posted:

Is there a better liquid hand soap dispenser system than the standard container with the pump? Those always leave a bit at the bottom.

My ghetto solution is to put just a teeny bit of water in and shake it up, that'll get you the 2 or 3 pumps of the "pure soap" out of the tube and you'll have some pumps left of the "crappy" soap that works just as well.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

NarwhalParty posted:

You have to meet certain criteria for the Invisalign. If you happen to get metal braces, I wouldn't recommend getting clear or white rubber band colors. They end up staining and making your mouth look gross.

I got lucky because I used the rubber bands like once or twice and then just didn't use them and somehow I still came out corrected in the overbite department. Regular ones do kind of suck because you stand a good chance at getting calcium stains. Get a permanent bottom retainer if you can! It saved my rear end from losing all the work the braces had done because I sucked at keeping my top retainer in, but the bottom one kept the top teeth relatively stable. Thing's still in my mouth too, 20 years later... good orthodontist I guess!

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

EvilMuppet posted:

My bed is way too hard, can't afford a whole new mattress and someone mentioned mattress toppers. Just had a look online and it seems there are whole bunches of different sorts. I'm looking to make it feel as soft as possible. Don't really want to spend too much, up to about AU$100.

Anyone know of anything I might like?

http://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Studio-2-Inch-Ventilated-Mattress/dp/B000LQD88E/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1315331908&sr=1-2

Memory foam. $75 bucks, with $5.00 shipping to Australia. Only would suck if your room is relatively hot, it would not be so good then.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

EvilMuppet posted:

Thanks but how do I get $5 shipping? The lowest one is $33?

Oh, I guess it's because it's fairly large, sorry. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Circus Pies! posted:

Or was it that his sanity was the price he payed to create great soap?

With great soap comes great delusionality.

Well judging from his wiki, he was batshit insane. I'm sure having to flee from Nazis and his parents not being so lucky probably didn't help; and suicidal crazy wife. I might try some of that soap though!

• Locked thread