Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
In line with the Amazon Prime love, we have our own thread in which you can get together with some goons to get on it.

link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Also headsets are all pretty much garbage, if you want quality get separate headphones and microphones. :ssh:

I see you and raise you Sennheiser PC 350

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Any suggestions on pillows?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

BigSuave posted:

Request: There's been a lot of headphone discussion but can someone with some knowledge and experience school me on canalphones? I owned two pairs of Shure e2cs (actually one e2c and one e2g but they're basically the same) and they pretty much changed my world. I lost my last pair and am in the market for new ones but Shure's product line has changed and I know a lot of other companies make good canalphones so I would like to hear other's experience. I have a hard time telling if they are actually good headphones or if I just think they're good because they're blocking out other sounds so well so it's difficult to compare them to other canalphones. For example, is it worth dropping the extra cash to get Shure's higher-end canalphones or are the returns rapidly diminishing (as I suspect they are, if other audio equipment is any indication)?

To hold me over until I can get a decent pair I have ordered the Sennheiser CX200s From NewEgg because they are on sale for $15 after rebate so I don't have a lot to lose and figure it will answer my question of if the more expensive Shures are "worth it". Any input/experiences would be much appreciated though.

This has a number of factors to consider, but I would highly suggest checking out this guys review thread over on head-fi.org

Linky

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Bhodi posted:

:words:

How often does one need to refill the reservoir?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

b0nes posted:

Isn't there one that you connect to a showerhead or something?

I need a recommendation for warm work clothes. I work at the airport, and lately it's been getting as low as 40 degrees or less at night. The uniform I get does nothing for me. I basically need to keep my core and my hands warm. On top I wear 2 cotton hoodies, then a t-shirt and undershirt. Don't have any warm work gloves, but I need to get some soon. i wear shorts since I have to move around a lot, my legs rarely get cold.

I also need some good rainwear.

Underarmour coldgear. Expensive, but gets the job done of keeping you warm and fuzzy.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

b0nes posted:

ok I was actually looking into getting some, I didn't know anyone who had them and if it was worth it. I think there are 3 levels of warmth?

Well I've mainly been buying stuff to run outside (20-40 degrees) so your situation might differ slightly. What exactly is your uniform that you have to wear?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

An observer posted:

What are the best math books for self-teaching?

I would be really interested in this as well. Math used to be my favorite subject in highschool... but it's been so long :(

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

robotsinmyhead posted:

If you don't mind looking like a weirdo, Vibram Five Fingers are the best thing I've ever put on my feet. I hate the fact that it's winter now and I can't wear them anymore.

Get some Flows and Injinji socks and you'll be ok!

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Any recommendations on a humidifier? Ours just recently stopped working, so need to get a new one.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Gism0 posted:

Do people actually enjoy humidity or is it for a greenhouse or something?

Because extremely dry air is not comfy!

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Julet Esqu posted:

Other posters in this thread have mentioned that they're hypoallergenic and over time they hold their shape better than a polyfill pillow. I'm not married to the idea of a latex pillow, though, if there's another kind you think is better.

Going to be honest as I've tried out many types of pillows. You really need to feel them in person, for both how thick the pillow is, to how soft / firm it is.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a laser printer?

I need it (well, really REALLY want it) to be wireless, and color would be nice if the price was right. I was just walking through Staples the other day and they had a color laser for only $170 after an instant rebate. But it was an HP, so I was leery...though it at least had separate toner catridges for each color, though I imagine that's the case for all color lasers.

But obviously if the printer was only $170, but each toner catridge was like $50-$60, then that's a worse deal than one that is say $200 upfront, but only $30 catridges.

I believe the goon recommended printer would be the Brother HL-2140. There is a pretty decent thread here.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Any recommendations on school backpacks/messenger bags? Probably looking to carry around my iPad, wireless keyboard, books, and notepads.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

I actually have a Metropolis bag, but find it way to big for my current needs. Trying to downgrade to something a bit smaller with more organization.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

mykel posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation for clearing out sinuses for longer than a few hours? I use a neti pot often, but it will only last for a couple hours, then I feel my sinuses closing back in again.

I feel like my breathing became more restricted about five years ago and never really looked into it.

Any recs beyond neti pot would be wonderful.

Go to a doctor. Get a prescription for a nasal steroid. I was recently having the same problems as you, nasal passage would close up, couldn't breathe quite right. And whenever I would go lay down to sleep, it would get significantly worse. I was also using the nasal decongestant the whole time unknowingly to me, that it was making it worse. So if you're using a nasal decongestant, stop immediately. That stuff is absolutely terrible for you.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

necrobobsledder posted:

I was considering that one for a while and got a Tumi fabric wallet (can't find it anymore online, hrmh)
over a leather one because my last leather one developed some cracking and was worn from getting wet a few times (granted, it was crappy to begin with). I've had mine for about 3 years now and it looks about the same as it did the day my wife got it for me.

Yeah Tumi wallets are excellent! Had mine for about 5 years and still looks new.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

BuddyChrist posted:

This thread seems to be dying but hopefully I can get some answers. I'm looking for a chair. Specifically a computer chair. I've looked at many and they all seem to spout information about ergonomics and lumbar support, but in the end most aren't comfortable. I spend a good amount of time at my computer, whether I'm working, surfing, or watching, and nothing really feels good. I'm willing to pay some money for something that really does the job, but I don't want to believe that more money = best without some reviews or reccomendations that show me why it's the best. Anybody have anything to rave about?

Your best bet would be to go to multiple stores and actually sit in them.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Blackdawgg posted:

Can anyone recommend a good men's face wash product? I've been using Neutrogena Invigorating face wash but don't really care for the menthol. Everything at the store seems to either be a pre-shave or post-shave product.

This is a good thread to readup on for skin care products.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3379410

Myself I use a Desert Essence facial wash which I find pretty nice. Smells like green apples to boot :)

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Centipeed posted:

Is there a decent, solid headset with a good mic in the same price range? I'll need to buy a new one when this one stops working, but I'm looking for something affordable.

Edit: Just realised that the reason I bought this headset is because it was USB - when I buy a new headset I'll be looking for it to be USB as well - is there a decent low-priced USB headset?

Define low priced? To be honest the best setup would be a headphone and a separate stand up mic or something.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Goons, I need a simple, not expensive (let's say sub $200) home desk. Can't be too big, (has to fit in my bedroom,) and absolutely, under no circumstances, can it have a keyboard tray. Also, it needs drawers. A desk without drawers isn't a desk, it's just a half-assed table. Apparently designers nowadays detest drawers and love keyboard trays, so I've had no luck.

Might help to tell us where you are located.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
^^^
e;fb :argh:

Red Baron posted:

I have a really dusty room, and I want to reduce the amount of it just floating around and potentially being all up in my laptop and such. What are my options? I try to dust with swiffers or whatever pretty frequently, but we have a lot of cats and carpet so even though I keep my doors shut I still get some driftage from that I feel like.

Vacuum + air purifier would be your best bet I think.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Redbush posted:

I know there has been a lot of headphone chat in this thread, but it seemed to be mostly about ear buds.

I'm looking for decent headphones that aren't ear buds (think almost like the one DJs wear. I don't know if they have specific name or not.) I don't really want to spend more than 30-40 bucks.

They don't have to be godly. I don't care about hearing the singer take breaths or whatever. I just want a pair of non ear bud head phones to wear when I take the bus to work. It'd also be nice if they weren't incredibly tight against my ears because I have an industrial piercing that refuses to heal, even after a year, so I don't want a lot of pressure on it.

That price range isn't much to work with given that it seems you want full sized cans. However! If you want something decent / portable, I would recommend the AKG K81DJs

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Anyone have any advice for pest control? Specifically roaches and spiders. I can't use anything toxic, I Raid bombed the place and sprayed all the base boards, window and door sills and any openings I could find two weeks ago with Ortho home control and they're already making their way in alive. Our trash is sealed and we don't leave food out.

I can't do toxic again because my downstairs neighbor has multiple chemical sensitivity (she was out of town for a week when I did it), and because obviously it doesn't work.

Any suggestions? I'll pay any amount of money to keep these things out of my house. especially the roaches.

Are you renting from someone? Contact your landlord if so. Else... Look up a pest control service?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Mr. Banana Grabber posted:

How do you get rid of the geckos?

Why would you ever want to get rid of them :colbert:

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Edit: Derp I should check the page number before posting.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Ragman posted:

You may be right about the fluoride. I wouldn't say that I have a good knowledge of some of this stuff. However, I will probably still drink tap water exclusively mostly because it's just cheaper.

The Contigo bottle looks awesome and I want one. I guess maybe if I would have read the OP before posting, I wouldn't have had to ask in the first place. Thanks.

Going to second the Contigo, gf and I use it every day. Best part about it is being able to drink with only one hand.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Progression Please posted:

Any recommendations on decent in ear headphones for outdoor running? If it matters, I have really large ears/ears canal, and the iPhone headphones fall out once I start running.

iPhone earbuds are pretty much crap. I really like these:

Sennheiser CX380

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

XTimmy posted:

The headphone jack on my phone died so I'm in the market for a NON-apple mp3 player. Preferably something between 8-16gb, 100-200$ AUD and no bigger than a full wallet, as I usually go running. Unfortunately no-one stocks creative ZENs in Australia any more and I'm looking for something more recent anyway.

Probably the best bang for the buck mp3 player you can get for size / storage / sq wise. You can also drop in a memory card to expand the size.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Player-Black/dp/B002MAPS6W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311595090&sr=8-2

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Dudebro posted:

Best coffee bean brewer thing?

No real budget, but I'm assuming it won't go over $300. I have no idea. I started drinking coffee recently and figure it's better to just do it at home than rely on a shop and waste more time that way.

Aeropress, this is all you will need for fantastic coffee.

Also buy your beans whole, and grind them yourself before you make your cup.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Dudebro posted:

okay. I'm an idiot and I don't know much about coffee. If I wanted a regular cup of coffee and not this espresso shots business, do I just use one scoop and add more water?

Also, any recommendations for grinders?

Well there are two different types, regular cheapo grinders such as this or a burr grinder which is a bit more expensive such as this

The cheaper grinders will not grind the beans quite evenly, whereas the burr grinder will. The more of a coffee snob you become the more you will notice :)

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Can anyone recommend a nice facial cleanser that doesn't smell... chemically?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

What does it smell like? My girlfriend is extremely sensitive to certain smells :s

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

yaffle posted:

Can anyone recommend some speakers for my Mac? I don't want some huge 5.1 setup, just stereo is fine with me, I'd like some bookshelf speakers if i can get shielded ones that are cheap enough.

What's your budget?

I have these monitors: http://www.amazon.com/KRK-RP8G2-Powered-Studio-Monitor/dp/B001A6IGDG

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Bloody Mayhem posted:

I'm looking for a scale for home use. I'm starting to take control over my diet and I'd like to keep track of my progress in between appointments with my nutrionnist.

My friend has a pretty elaborate one that can allegedly measure your body fat %, but I don't know if that's horseshit or not. If that actually exists without costing an arm I'd be happy to buy it, seeing as body fat is what I'd really like to assess anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Bathroom-Technology/dp/B001KXZ808/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313633167&sr=8-1

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Jook posted:

anyone have any recommendations on some surround (rear) speakers? Just 2 to go on the same wall as the couch. I got some Polk OWM3's but they're way too big, looking for something more satellite, maybe ~4x4inch face? I can't seem to find anything decent on Amazon, and nothing at stores nearby.

Really need a price range as speakers can get super pricey real quick.

Imasalmon posted:

I don't know about a portable 2.1 setup for the iPod, but the Jawbone Jambox does a good job. Not exactly an audiophile level device, but if you cared about sound quality that much, you wouldn't be using an iPod.

An iMod iPod with Rockbox and a portable amp works just fine thank you. :colbert:

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

boondocksts posted:

Im looking for a stylus for my iPad to do some writing with.  Is there anything better than the BoxWave stylus http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...00BUI76S%A0?%A0 A few people I know have one and like it, its a few bucks less than the Griffin one.  Anything else out there I should consider? Thanks

Nope that is pretty much the goon recommended stylus over in the iPad thread.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Can anyone recommend a nice arm band for an iPhone 3GS?

Edit: Nevermind, just ordered the highest rated product on Amazon.

Etrips has a new favorite as of 04:45 on Sep 20, 2011

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Crowley posted:

You're not very patient, are you. :v:

No sir! Needed this ASAP as I'm starting C25K and having my phone bounce around in my pocket isnt very comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

b0nes posted:

How do you find the highest rated products on Amazon?

Search for what you are looking for, look for highest ratings via stars / amount of feedback given. Order.

• Locked thread