Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Sabel posted:

How are you people finding these things

Google

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
I drag street view around any major populated city and the world looks so samey

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Sabel posted:

I drag street view around any major populated city and the world looks so samey

It's a little easier to find interesting stuff if you are using google earth, not street view imo

and also major populated city centers are going to look more similar to each other than other kinds of areas, you got to broaden it. the outlying areas of a Russian city look pretty different from a typical town in Colombia or rural England. also, use mapcrunch

HERMAPHRODITE JESUS
Apr 21, 2010

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

nice north korea overlay.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sabel posted:

How are you people finding these things

We basically do nothing but pan around gmaps all day.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I wish I had heard the term "Pyongyang Ostrich Farm" when I registered my account, here...

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

MrYenko posted:

I wish I had heard the term "Pyongyang Ostrich Farm" when I registered my account, here...

Admins, please rename me "Pyongyang Ostrich Farm."

Kitten Head Ridge
Apr 3, 2009

It is surprising how much space is needed to 'swing a cat'!
Those look like lakes caused by glaciation. Knowing that doesn't make them look any less creepier, though. If you zoom in, and look near the streams in the region, you can see some oxbow lakes, too.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I'm not sure whats creepy about them they just look like small ponds?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Earwicker posted:

At first glance their depth is difficult to make out.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Shifty Nipples posted:

They look pretty shallow to me like most other ponds but I guess I'm just not seeing what you guys are seeing.

Here's an area that I've always found not creepy exactly, but definitely weird, like the Earth was "scraped" here by something large, and I've only seen it at this one spot (an area southwest of Astrakhan)

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.199179,47.6235026,53848m/data=!3m1!1e3

withak explained to me what it was caused by once, but I forgot

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
That whole "creepy holes" part of Alaska is really crazy to look at from space:

Anyone know what specifically caused this? I know glaciers have something to do with it, but I've never seen this specific thing form anywhere else.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Glacial striations. Huge drag marks basically.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Earwicker posted:

Kitten Head Ridge
Apr 3, 2009

It is surprising how much space is needed to 'swing a cat'!

Shifty Nipples posted:

Yeah, that's what makes it seem off to me. You expect to see something like that on a polished slice of agate or something similar rather than on the Earth's surface. I imagine that the digital imaging sort of distorts the lakes' appearance, too.

simple
Apr 11, 2007

Just east of the California Salton Sea.

Mountain Dew Code Bread
Mar 20, 2008

I found an amusing artifact here: http://goo.gl/maps/bwE0X

Is this what really happens when we die?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

withak posted:

Glacial striations. Huge drag marks basically.

This. Glaciers and continental ice sheets scar up the planet in the most awesome ways. I live in a region that was covered in a kilometer of ice 20,000 years ago and it's just so amazing we can still see the effects of that now whenever we go outside.

Christopher Robin
Apr 28, 2013

Maybe this is somewhere in the thread, but there's a Russian site where you can walk around Pripyat and near the Chernobyl power plant in streetview. The reactor is along the road that goes to the southeast.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

copy of a posted:

These giant circles are at a long-closed airport called Renyolds Air Force Base to the southwest of me. Someone once suggested they might be for blimps but these circles are HUGE (these are some of the largest runways out of all the airports in town), and there is no blimp activity ever at this airport.
Mooring circles are huge. You can see the old ones at what used to be Glynco Naval Air Station that have since had the insides paved for use as skidpads, they used to be just rings around grass fields.

http://goo.gl/maps/u3nbt

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
This thread has been around since December 1st, 2010. Holy poo poo.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

rcman50166 posted:

This thread has been around since December 1st, 2010. Holy poo poo.

And I have had it bookmarked all this time, always a joy to see a burst of 30 or so posts. Really with this was more popular!

edit: I regret deeply unbookmarking the ant story thread :(

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
Because we're all so brilliant at finding things in satellite photos, help pore over lots of raw footage from Digital Globe satellites in the hunt for the missing 777 that might be in the Indian Ocean:

http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/mh370_indian_ocean/

Be warned: there's a lot of water without many feature at all.

Also check out the front page or things people have found (eg, oil rigs):

http://www.tomnod.com/nod/

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Was flying into EWR the other day, and on approach I noticed what looked like the hulls of some old boats in the Raritan River in NJ. Anyone know anything about these?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

few more a bit south of that spot as well

just some old rear end boats that got sunk there I guess.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Not that strange, but I'm mostly surprised there aren't more things like this. I'm assuming it's glare, but I'm not sure how the purple and green and yellow came about.

Victoria, B.C.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Megadyptes posted:

just some old rear end boats that got sunk there I guess.

So called "Ghost fleets" are all over the northeast. Mostly reserve-fleet merchants from the First World War.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

:spooky:

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Fors Yard posted:

Not that strange, but I'm mostly surprised there aren't more things like this. I'm assuming it's glare, but I'm not sure how the purple and green and yellow came about.

Victoria, B.C.

Probably chromatic aberration

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Apple maps, but still.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2607667/Is-THIS-Loch-Ness-Monster-Apples-Maps-satellite-image-Nessie.html

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

So that's probably actually Lake Michigan or something

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's a boat.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

withak posted:

It's a boat.

I WANT TO BELIEVE

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's great that even the outline of the boat is still visible and the whole thing is just low contrast because of mist but after a six months analysis by the experts at the Official Loch Ness Monster Fan Club...

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

That looks nothing like a 100 million year old plesiosaur, sorry guy.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

'For six months the image has been studied by experts at the Official Loch Ness Monster Fan Club
lol

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

that reminded me when the local newspaper ran a story about some idiot seeing a ghost on google maps. I googled it and the daily mail also ran the story lol
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2278635/Image-ghostly-man-spotted-Google-Earth-remains-village.html
it's the shadow of some radar mast or something that you can easily look at in the loving street view.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Megadyptes posted:

that reminded me when the local newspaper ran a story about some idiot seeing a ghost on google maps. I googled it and the daily mail also ran the story lol
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2278635/Image-ghostly-man-spotted-Google-Earth-remains-village.html
it's the shadow of some radar mast or something that you can easily look at in the loving street view.

As much as I hate the DM, that was clearly just them using it as an excuse to run a piece on Filton airport & the Brabazon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Found a plane flying over the Columbia River.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=45.936274,-119.187155&ll=45.935979,-119.186184&spn=0.003276,0.004823&t=h&z=18

• Locked thread