Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Wow, the lack of perspective makes it look like it's just above the ground. (It's totally not, judging by the lack of a shadow.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

http://goo.gl/maps/AHTjL

Dredge in the Panama canal. The soil and rock is being piped to the river edge.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Speaking of the Canal, if you were looking around, did you notice the random cuts of clear ground along the sides of the canal, like this?

Curious what they are? Zoom out and follow them into the water, notice how they line up with the main channel (they line up exactly, in fact). They're Ranges which are two fixed boards that, when lined up one atop the other, tell a ship they're where they are supposed to be.

Click here for the Maps link.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
America has a new largest* park.

Its name is Schenley Park, and it starts near Pittsburgh.

It leaves the city and crosses I‒79

Leaves the state and enters West Virginia

Passes through Ohio

Kentucky

Tennessee

Mississippi

Arkansas

Louisiana

It crosses into Texas at the Toldedo Bend reservoir.

As it progresses into Texas it becomes smaller and smaller

Till it vanishes entirely in West Livingston, TX.

* Its area is actually only about 87 km2.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 4, 2014

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

That is a huge pain in the rear end to fix on mapmaker too.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Schenley Park was the main place to go do drugs when I was in college, particularly at "the ledge". I approve of this expansion.

Subliminal Sauce
Apr 6, 2010

Spreading freedom and spreading it thick; that's just a thing us right-wing nutjobs do!
^^^Hey pittsburgher! Yeah that goes right by my house and I have not a clue about any park. The bike trails are workin out ok though.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The Feldman Felcher posted:

^^^Hey pittsburgher! Yeah that goes right by my house and I have not a clue about any park. The bike trails are workin out ok though.

I'm actually an ex-Californian and now live in Brooklyn, but I did my undergrad at CMU. I haven't been back to Pittsburgh in 12 years. I hear it's changed a lot since then (and not just because of the magic 2500 mile park expansion)

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Platystemon posted:

It leaves the city and crosses I‒79

Leaves the state and enters West Virginia

Passes through Ohio

Kentucky

Tennessee

Mississippi

Arkansas

Louisiana

It crosses into Texas at the Toldedo Bend reservoir.

As it progresses into Texas it becomes smaller and smaller

Till it vanishes entirely in West Livingston, TX.

* Its area is actually only about 87 km2.

holy loving poo poo

I love this thread.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Platystemon posted:

That's got to be a mapping error right? it looks like someone accidentally dragged a node from the edge of that park down to Texas since it's straight and it narrows all the way down there too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

GutBomb posted:

That's got to be a mapping error right? it looks like someone accidentally dragged a node from the edge of that park down to Texas since it's straight and it narrows all the way down there too.

Yeah, it’s just a single misplaced vertex. The surprising thing is that there was no sanity check.

I have been told that it’s been like that for more than a month.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Why is it so hard to fix? Couldn't someone just delete that point in Texas? Or do they have to literally erase the whole thing manually?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

GutBomb posted:

That's got to be a mapping error right?
Nah, I think it's a real park.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Palpek posted:

Nah, I think it's a real park.

Well I wasn't thinking actual park, but when I was a teenager I worked as a data entry clerk for a phone company in Colorado digitizing old paper right-of-way permits from the 40s and there were a lot of maps with tiny strips of land like that where the phone lines were. They were marked so the technicians knew where they could go to work on phone lines that go across private property so they know when they are trespassing or not. I was pretty sure it was just a mistake but thought there might be a tiny chance that some sort of data for something like that (like a pipeline or something) made it's way into the google maps data.

I remember posted earlier in the thread there was a satellite photo with a weird straight line that went across part of a city starting in a grocery store parking lot or something like that and it was over-ground points marking where a pipeline was underground.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's a pipeline right-of-way that crosses the park.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

withak posted:

Yeah it's a pipeline right-of-way that crosses the park.

No, it's quite clearly a vertex error. Aside from the fact that there's no pipeline there, pipelines do not run perfectly straight for thousands of miles over populated terrain, getting narrower as they go along.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Some pipelines do.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Earwicker posted:

Why is it so hard to fix? Couldn't someone just delete that point in Texas? Or do they have to literally erase the whole thing manually?

It's hard to fix because 99% of edits to google maps are done via google mapmaker, and done without a human interacting. It's easy to tell maps that the park's boundaries are wrong, but they're not:

What's wrong is the overlay(underlay?) and that's not something that I think you can change in mapmaker.

So someone has to wade into the support forums and find a live person on the maps team and show them.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
Misplaced vertexes are fair game now? Here's one showing a brand new runway that cuts across the entire downtown area of Singapore. It's the giant grey triangle:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

What UI for Google Maps is that?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

kimihia posted:

Misplaced vertexes are fair game now? Here's one showing a brand new runway that cuts across the entire downtown area of Singapore. It's the giant grey triangle:

is that a printed map? How does that get past the proofreading stage?

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Trap street runway.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Funny looking triangle.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction
Weird trench-looking thing in a local man-made lake by my house

e:

TheWordOfTheDayIs fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 18, 2014

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

TheWordOfTheDayIs posted:

Weird trench-looking thing in a local man-made lake by my house

It's the original stream channel from before they built that dam, visible either through the water or because there is an IR component included in the image and the deeper water is colder.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
I was wondering what these things in Manhattan's East River are:

http://www.google.com/maps/@40.7548163,-73.9618046,172m/data=!3m1!1e3

Barge platforms? Atlantean skyscrapers?

But if you zoom in on those blue/purple containers, you can make out the name "Phoenix Marine." Which turns out to be "the premiere marine construction company in the New York City Harbor area." So I guess they're floating construction platforms.

Should I be worried that they appear to be sinking? :ohdear:

Maultaschen
Jan 19, 2004

Two Twitter feeds that this thread should find interesting:

@BPEarth posts a random land image from Google Earth.
@random_places posts a random Street View image.

They post every 90 minutes, about 15 minutes apart. All the images are geotagged and it's just a cool thing.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I wonder how BPEarth weeds out ocean shots.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Cichlid the Loach posted:

No the East River is already full of all kinds of crap like that, a little more won't hurt.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Maultaschen posted:

Two Twitter feeds that this thread should find interesting:

@BPEarth posts a random land image from Google Earth.
@random_places posts a random Street View image.

They post every 90 minutes, about 15 minutes apart. All the images are geotagged and it's just a cool thing.

These are great! Thanks!
Any feeds like them that post interesting stuff from Maps like in this thread?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cichlid the Loach posted:

They aren't sinking, it's just an artifact of how Google Maps fades one image into another. In this case, one image has the barge in it, but in the other the barge was moved somewhere else, so it just fades out weirdly in the composite of the two images.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Elendil004 posted:

I wonder how BPEarth weeds out ocean shots.

I'd imagine they have access to vector data and simply don't pick anything inside a water poly.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Not so much "identify" but last night I watched a show on Netflix called Forgotten Planet. The first episode was on Pripyat and Picher, Oklahoma. I've never heard of Picher and the story was terrible: former lead and zinc mining town that got poisoned from big piles of "chat" - the waste from mining lead and zinc.

They showed huge piles of gravel that the residents said they used to play on, the playgrounds were made from chat, etc. The town eventually became the first superfund site and the gov't realized the damage was too much to repair so they bought everyone out.

So this morning I went and looked at it:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.981113,-94.834973,14z

Click on the satellite view to see all of the chat piles. loving sad and scary.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Rich Radbards posted:

Streetview is even creepier, especially since there are still *some* people living there.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

SybilVimes posted:

Streetview is even creepier, especially since there are still *some* people living there.

Yeah. One website says 6 people still live there, the show said no one. I noticed they didn't go down all the streets. The show also said that some of the miners reported seeing tree roots at the top of the mine, that they had dug too close to the surface.

That whole town is going to disappear into a big sinkhole one of these days.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rich Radbards posted:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.981113,-94.834973,14z

Looks like a cancer from the air. Wikipedia says that a tornado in 2008 destroyed 150 houses and killed 8 people. Clearly this a place where the earth does not want people to be any more.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

withak posted:

Looks like a cancer from the air. Wikipedia says that a tornado in 2008 destroyed 150 houses and killed 8 people. Clearly this a place where the earth does not want people to be any more.

That was also mentioned in the show. It's available to stream and I recommend watching it. The piece on Pripyat was interesting too.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

If we dig precious things from the land we will invite disaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Earwicker posted:

If we dig precious things from the land we will invite disaster

(Ten-minute slow motion shot of failed Atlas launch)

• Locked thread