Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

How about a giant motherfuckin' T-Rex?

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h...3,0.006899&z=17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Earwicker posted:

Here's an insanely ugly building I randomly came across:

http://qsview.com/2llwucz3rmlv1z1y4zunz2u

Some very expensive but completely tasteless hotel I guess

So I clicked on your link, then started typing an address in the search bar, and as you type, you jump to different places all over the world. It's pretty fun. I like this new Google Maps.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Glacier talk! I did a bunch of geology, geomorphology, and geography courses here in Canada and almost all of our terrain is wonderfully post-glacial. Those are all scour lines and various types of moraines, and indicate the flow direction of the glacier or icesheet as it advanced. The Northwest Territories is my favourite place, because you can see a clear line where the Cordilleran and Laurentide Icesheets bumped up against each other.

You can see it nice and clear up there because the landscape is mostly tundra, whereas farther south it's covered in forest and altered by agriculture. I just love how the different flow patterns on either side made completely different shorelines on Great Slave and Great Bear Lakes.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

copy of a posted:

Is this thread still (hopefully) at least semi-active? The last post wasn't too long ago, but I don't want to be reviving a dead thread..

Anyway. There's a few things on Google maps that I have found near me that have completely baffled me for as long as I've been exploring Google maps.

I found this a bit north of me. It looks like giant fountains coming out of some sort of pond? It's not really close to anything, just out in the middle of the woods, like most of the other things I'll be posting are.

I searched for this exact thing in PYF a short time ago when someone posted a picture of it from an airplane, it's a pulp mill with effluent ponds.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

withak posted:

Glacial striations. Huge drag marks basically.

This. Glaciers and continental ice sheets scar up the planet in the most awesome ways. I live in a region that was covered in a kilometer of ice 20,000 years ago and it's just so amazing we can still see the effects of that now whenever we go outside.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

That looks nothing like a 100 million year old plesiosaur, sorry guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Funny looking triangle.

• Locked thread