Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

eightyeight posted:

Those are indeed strange land formations. I couldn't help but pick out this...

Guy smoking a decorative pipe with a little smiling dude on the bottom? Some of the detail is lost in zooming out to see the whole image but...wow.

I see a Romulan Bird of Prey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Fermunky posted:

Please do this. It may be a short one, but it would be interesting.

nthing this. It'd be an awesome thread.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Phalex posted:

A water slide

This is the most awesome thing I've seen all week. This is beyond awesome.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Earwicker posted:

Does the island appear on actual marine charts? I thought it was just on Google Maps and the like, which is not intended for marine navigation use (and would be useless for it since depths aren't displayed, most reefs, shoals, rocks, etc are not displayed)

It doesn't show up on Bing map; I don't have access to marine charts of the Southern Pacific at the moment but I doubt it would appear. Not that it would be a huge deal if it did - Charts in little-travelled area are often based on data from the 19th and 18th century. There are places where islands are fifteen miles off position, shoals aren't charted at all...

Heck, there's an area off Northern Russia that's marked something like "Island reported, position approximate / doubtful, but it's somewhere in this 25 miles radius. Maybe."

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Ships don't really throw out that much light when they're at sea, unless they're doing some sort of offshore work. Unnecessary light interferes with the lookouts' night vision and that's a safety issue.

A cargo ship underway has five lights on, and they're baffled so they don't send too much light upward. There might be some more lights around the accommodations, but we're talking maybe a dozen bulbs, baffled so they don't send light up toward the wheelhouse. Shouldn't be enough to show up on the pictures, unless they adjusted the exposure for darker area.

Anybody fishing or doing offshore work is lit up like an airport, however. Goes double for cruise ships.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Goddamn, that is one remote-rear end memorial.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

E: Beaten

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

What is funny, is that's technically a violation of the way you're supposed to shoot interiors.

How so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

There used to be plenty of uncontrolled crossing between the two countries; since the border moved a few times over the years, some people had houses built right on the border (IE, the living room in the states and the kitchen in Canada). Geodesics are hard, and it's a really loving long border.

After 9/11, they really tightened up the border by cutting roads and adding fences, so now you have to at least get out of your car to get across the border. As we all know, terrorists really hate walking. (There's ground vibration detectors and all sorts of fancy stuff at chokepoints, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were plenty of places you could cross into the US undetected.)

• Locked thread