Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skyworks
Oct 2, 2010

by angerbutt

The Casualty posted:

Google maps has been buggy for me too as of late. It keeps reverting to the lowest resolution image and then I end up looking at the northernmost tip of Canada.

edit: While looking through North Korea I found this. At first I saw the northern half of the construction, and I thought it was possibly a military airfield, but the concrete strip is too narrow and short to be of much use to jets. Then I zoomed out and noticed that it appears to continue much further on the other side of that hill! I can't tell for sure but it looks like there's a tunnel going through the ground. I wonder what it is...

It is likely a military airbase of some sort. I remember reading something years ago that stated they store the fighter aircraft inside hollowed out mountains to prevent them being bombed and just roll them out and take off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyworks
Oct 2, 2010

by angerbutt

Slo-Tek posted:

Here is one of those. The China Air Museum at Datanshan is a formerly secret air-base drilled through the side of a mountain big enough to drive a 60's vintage intercontinental bomber through.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...012338&t=h&z=17

You can see the distintive hexagonal arrangement of an SA-2 Missile battery, as well as two TU-4 Bull strategic bombers that were copied from the American B-29, the TU-16 that dropped China's first Hydrogen bomb, three American built C-46 transports captured from the KMT, and more Mig 15's than you can shake a stick at.

This sort of thing was prevelant when the accuracy of delivery systems was measured in miles rather than hunderds of metres. Burrow important stuff into the side of a mountain and it prevents some of the nasty things like overpressure (blown away) and thermal damage (lit on fire). Pretty good idea too, you need to hit it hard, repeatedly and at ground level. It is doubly effective as a groundburst is less desirable than an airburst when you are looking for the best bang for your buck, and the first hit throws so much crap up it makes hitting it repeatedly much harder.

Systems are more accurate now, so they don't use this defense. This makes places like this all the more cooler to find. Keep searching, once you know what to look for there is stuff like this everywhere left over from the bad old days.

Skyworks fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 10, 2010

Skyworks
Oct 2, 2010

by angerbutt

The Scientist posted:

I'd be down to see this posted somewhere.

Not only is this interesting it is educational. Despite not hitting the urbex standards, I would love for you to post this.

Skyworks fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 11, 2010

Skyworks
Oct 2, 2010

by angerbutt

orange lime posted:

This is from back on page 1 or something, but just wanted to say that quote #2 is the reason for quote #1. All those B-52s at the boneyard that are lined up in a nice grid with their wings cut off and placed neatly beside them? It's so that the USA could prove to the Soviets that they'd actually dismantled as many strategic bombers as they were required to by the START/SALT/whatever treaties. Not that the Soviets ever sent inspectors over to Arizona or anything -- they just flew their satellites over and counted from the pictures. Standard procedure all around I understand.

So it is equally possible that they are wooden mockups of aircraft, rather than real ones. That would lessen your sadness, and explain why you have to take a tour rather than being allowed to walk around on site.

E: I don't get a kick out the idea that there are hundreds of hidden bombers that can streak in at 150 ft and 560 knots using their laser systems to avoid terrain and pound someone with 31 tonnes of nukes. Would make a good book though. Actually, it is likely definitely good that poo poo like this is broken now.

Skyworks fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 13, 2010

Skyworks
Oct 2, 2010

by angerbutt

The SARS Volta posted:

Anyone know what this (and similar areas) south of Miami are meant to do?

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=25.391179,-80.303535&spn=0.140812,0.305901&t=h&z=12

Water cooling system for that powerplant it is attached to, maybe.

E: Beaten, not desal plant though, they have a smaller footprint and pump the high salinity water back out far from the intakes, no lakes involved.

Skyworks fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 15, 2010

Skyworks
Oct 2, 2010

by angerbutt
It's not a problem, you were interested and asked. You were not right, but not wrong, you showed us something interesting anyway. That's how we learn to find random things.

OK, I'll give you a project. Found something random at:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...003484&t=h&z=19

Let me know what that is!

Tip. There is something to the close South East that is relevant too.

If anyone is wondering my name is Paul Scorer and I am residing in Bulgaria.

Skyworks fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 15, 2010

Skyworks
Oct 2, 2010

by angerbutt

The SARS Volta posted:

I'd go check myself if I weren't on the other side of the state (note: this is a good thing)

The object to the SE is almost certainly a house. If I had to venture a guess, it has something to do with ranching

No. Seriously, if you are that close, you need to take a look. Just stay the gently caress back from the fences. I figure the people there have a distinct lack of sarcasm.

gently caress it, too many clues, identify it you prick!

E: You cant see it from the road. Nice earth walls in the way.

Skyworks fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 15, 2010

Skyworks
Oct 2, 2010

by angerbutt

The SARS Volta posted:

Maybe I'm being thick this morning but I seriously have no idea. And "that close" means a 6.5 hour drive.

Will not get more specific here, sent a pm.

Skyworks
Oct 2, 2010

by angerbutt

mds2 posted:

To me it looks like a place where the state keeps gravel/salt/etc for road maintenance. They are all over the place.

Or, you know, it could be a minutman site... Looks like a heavy duty concrete door that flicks back on rails to me. The 'ranch' to the SE seems like a command site as well. Might be completely wrong.

Skyworks
Oct 2, 2010

by angerbutt

Arturo Ui posted:

It is definitely a missile silo -- see this website
http://asuwlink.uwyo.edu/~jimkirk/warren-mm.html

It is labeled "C-2".

Nice to know, found it while looking at random stuff. Was looking for confirmation.

That is a nice site, will find the rest.

Skyworks
Oct 2, 2010

by angerbutt
^^^That is not secret, they dropped nukes 200 yards from his parent's farm.

mds2 posted:

Good find, but there are a lot of those around the state too. The "ranch" is definitely just a family farm though. There is a missile silo not far from my parents house in the middle of a junk yard. They opened it up about 20 years ago and now they throw old tires in it.

Thanks for the info I was sure it was a command site after I figured the silo out because it has a berm between them and a nice growth of trees. I am looking for more as we speak, I will discount obvious farms. I hope to find a command site soon!

Skyworks fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 15, 2010

Skyworks
Oct 2, 2010

by angerbutt

mds2 posted:

Well look up Bellevue Nebraska. That is where the Strategic Air Command is located. I imagine they control all of the missile sites.

I know that one, I am looking for the local command sites that give the order and the guys in the bunkers turn the keys. I am pretty sure I have one now. Stop distracting me. It looks completely innocuous, not sure. Will try to confirm.

Skyworks
Oct 2, 2010

by angerbutt

mds2 posted:

Raymond Central High School used to be a military base so it probably is a missile site, or something similar. I have a friend that lives about a half mile from whatever that is. I'll ask her about it next time I see her.

Looks like a Nike Herculese site. A surface to air missile that nukes incoming missiles type thing. Old school ABM, set off nukes overhead and stop opposition hitting cities. Could be completely wrong.

E: Regardless of how way off base we have been, we have found some great stuff. Keep it up guys!

Skyworks fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 15, 2010

Skyworks
Oct 2, 2010

by angerbutt

bladernr posted:

(Hosting is mine)

This big green field with air vents in the middle sits about 15 miles or so north of my house...

http://maps.google.com/?ll=35.782754,-79.073614&spn=0.004883,0.009645&t=h&z=17

I don't know what it's currently used for, but in the past, it was a top secret facility that was supposed to guarantee that phone communications could be maintained in the event of a nuclear war...

Here's an article on the place: http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/big-hole-deep-secret/Content?oid=1182760

That article is interesting. I'd be inclined to go with it being a place that fires off something like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Rocket_Communications_System

In the event of really bad communication issues, like a decapitation strike, the E-4 alert planes on nightwatch http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Airborne_Operations_Center get the order and send it to a ground based site that fires them off. Apparently they don't use them anymore, but you never really decommission things like that.

They are not stupid. They know that the only communications that matter when you start throwing these things at each other is communications with your own launch sites and SSBNs.

That would be a good place to fire one off if you wanted to talk to your subs in the Atlantic...

Skyworks fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 14, 2011

Skyworks
Oct 2, 2010

by angerbutt

The Scientist posted:

But in order to communicate with subs via UHF wouldn't they have to surface or at least extend a radio mast above the surface of the water? I thought they issued orders to subs via ULF.

Dunno, I was under the impression they got a low frequency 'ping' and then headed up so Milstar or whatever could tell them to commit mass murder on a horrific scale.

Skyworks
Oct 2, 2010

by angerbutt

The Scientist posted:

It must be for testing helicopter rotor designs... although its weird because the walls of the containment structures, as per the shadows they cast, look like they're just open frame and truss; you would think they'd be like either solid or really, really thin to try and affect airflow in a specific, predictable way. That's pretty cool, though. Good find.

What about some sort of way of simulating how their designs work in flight without having to worry about the ground effect. You put your rotor and motor in there, switch the fan on shooting the air up, and it allows them to see without any prop wash coming off the ground?

Skyworks
Oct 2, 2010

by angerbutt
I'd say there is something underground. If you zoom out an follow the line it makes to the SW there are lines in the ground, cleared areas through scrub, access paths and it matches up to the edge of a suburb.

e: Looking to the northwest there is indications of that too, there is actually an easement through the back yards in some of the houses in that suburb. Also, a really strange white building that has it running through the middle. Piping for oil or gas maybe?

Skyworks fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 28, 2011

Skyworks
Oct 2, 2010

by angerbutt

Mescal posted:

That's wild. I'd love to be an archaeologist in the ancient city of Phoenix in the year 4000. I live in the pac NW, so we aren't lucky enough to have any old poo poo. Nature reclaims everything in a few years, so no ghost towns.

Yeah, nature is mad. We lived in the tropics for about five years and I poo poo you not the 'jungle' reclaimed my whole yard about about two weeks after it was tidied during the rainy season when the river flooded. We lived on the edge of town and there were a whole load of WW2 emplacements just behind us over the river. Big heavy duty bunkers and gun emplacements made out of concreted sandbags and poured in situ reinforced concrete. The jungle had ground them to barely distinguishable humps of rubble in 60 years.

Skyworks
Oct 2, 2010

by angerbutt
40 years! I thought it was still in use. Throw that in the tropics for 40 years and then try to even find it again. That thing is going to be there forever.

Thousands of years down the track our whole society is going to be reconstructed from crap like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyworks
Oct 2, 2010

by angerbutt

Shnakepup posted:

"It's presumed that the all the Ancients architecture was based on similar styles"

~cut to historical reconstruction "house"~

While it might come as a shock to the uneducated, those who have been involved in the excavations have long known we are a desert people.

• Locked thread