Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

SyHopeful posted:

I've always wondered why Lake Baikal has a superhighway disappearing into its depths...

I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice that thing. Maybe something weird with the map itself? There's no way that's a real human structure, at least as it's not mentioned at all on Wikipedia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Devil Wears Wings posted:

There's also this tiny-rear end settlement on a volcanic island smack in the middle of the South Atlantic: Edinburgh of the Seven Seas. One of the most remote villages in the world.

I remember being creeped the gently caress out when I found that town back when I was scoping out random islands in the ocean. Apparently they're British subjects, but you're not allowed to move there as a resident from the outside, and they all only have like eight last names. Bummer, as I sort of want to build a home on the opposite side of the village and just veg out with my books, my NetFlix (though I guess they couldn't mail me my DVDs as fast), and a piano.

Edit: I love that one of the islands nearby is merely named 'Inaccessible Island' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inaccessible_Island). Kind of punctuates how loving remote this place really is.

Foyes36 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 23, 2011

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

THE HORSES rear end posted:

The northernmost university in the world:

http://maps.google.com/?ll=78.222442,15.654166&spn=0.002492,0.022638&t=h&z=16

"Polar bears are abundant in the area and are a threat to human life. As a result local citizens often carry rifles, and every UNIS student and member of staff spends their first day learning how to use a rifle to defend themselves against bears."

Sounds more interesting than my college orientation.

• Locked thread