Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
There is a reason why Google Earth is centered over Southeast Kansas as a default - that is where one of the creators of Google Earth is from, my hometown actually! The Mac version of Google Earth centers on another Kansas town - the hometown of another one of the creators.

The geodetic center of the USA is also in Kansas, but that is not why Google Maps defaults to Kansas.

Just gotta throw that little bit of Kansas fame out there because we don't get much notice :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Devil Wears Wings posted:

See these houses on a remote Antarctic island? That's Villa Las Estrellas, the largest civilian settlement in Antarctica. (Though that's not saying much, since it only supports a little over 100 people.)

There's also this tiny-rear end settlement on a volcanic island smack in the middle of the South Atlantic: Edinburgh of the Seven Seas. One of the most remote villages in the world.

I love using Google Maps to explore places I don't have a chance in hell of ever seeing in real life.

One of the most remote places on earth, and yet we're still managing to screw it up!

http://10000birds.com/oil-spill-threatens-birds-in-tristan-da-cunha.htm

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Mister Roboto posted:

Those are kind of depressing when you zoom out, because you can quickly see encroaching developed fields, I assume they could be for cattle or other grazing animals?

The rainforest seems incredibly small. :smith:

I know, it seems huge but when you zoom out and look at the scale, the rain forest patch is like ~30 square miles :(

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Sid Vicious posted:

I hope this is fitting, its not that strange for everyone else, but this is me, standing outside my old house smoking a bowl and a cigarette. I like how Google blurred my hand holding a bowl. me on Google Maps.

That's loving hilarious. Is the street super close to your front door or what's going on there?

Otik posted:

Any idea what these lines of trees are about in Nigeria? They have them in a few other places in the surrounding area too from the looks of things.

Here.

My guess is that it's something to do with marking out land ownership.

Similarly, what are these patchworks in the Sudanese desert? Search "Umm Dabbus, Sudan" and zoom in and around.

Is this what they're talking about when you hear stuff like "These people have to travel 10 miles a day to get water"? Because this place is in the middle of nowhere. There is nothing around. What are the irregular boundaries made of, trees?

EDIT: This one is nearby too. Why is it all orderly? What is it?

razz fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 12, 2013

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
That is really sad. Where do those people get food and water? How come some of the houses have a way huger "yard"? How do they decide where the boundaries are?

So everyone in those villages was likely killed/displaced then a refugee camp was set up nearby and all the people went there? I just don't know much about the going-ons in Darfur. I wonder if they have a better life at the camp (ie, better access to food, water and medical care).

EDIT: Oh well it seems like it just sucks in general there. Here are some interesting maps/info.

http://www.ushmm.org/maps/projects/darfur/

razz fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
You see those living snow fences pretty often in snowy areas. When I lived in Colorado they were fairly common and I usually saw them running along major highways. Probably to help prevent snow from piling up on the roads?

They all had signs on them too. Every mile or so "LIVING SNOW FENCE" and a number you could call, in case you wanted your own I guess.

• Locked thread