Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
:negative: God drat it, I have been hoping for a bluray release of KnK and then they pull this poo poo. I would buy it without a second thought for $200 (albeit with bitching). Hope Right Stuf offers a discount after its been out for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

serebralassazin posted:

:negative: God drat it, I have been hoping for a bluray release of KnK and then they pull this poo poo. I would buy it without a second thought for $200 (albeit with bitching). Hope Right Stuf offers a discount after its been out for a bit.

Watch them pull the "There's only a limited collector's edition version" poo poo.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Back in the day there used to be this store* in Sydney who sold Anime DVDs right when they first started being produced. He imported from America and essentially had a seller's market going at that point so he was charging extortionist prices like $80 for a standard 4-ep DVD.

These days Australia has it's own distributor, Madman, and everyone has wised up to the game as it's now a buyers market. How in 2010 a North American company can justify and still think they can charge $400 for a bluray boxset of only seven movies beggars belief. It's nearly $60 a movie for crying out loud, the picture and audio quality would have to be immaculate for that price.

I've got 0 interest in the movies, but I feel so bad for the fans who are going to miss out because the price point is daylight robbery.

*This arsehole is still in business and has the gall to constantly advertise that all his DVDs are 50% off when they're actually sitting at the RRP. I met him once and he's practically an anime version of Comic Book Nerd for being such a massive oval office for no reason to his customers.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 14, 2010

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And in other bad news, Manga UK is chickening out of releasing more Full Metal Alchimest: Brotherhood on Region B Blu-Ray because Volume 1 sold poorly leaving those 800 some faithful up the godamned creek.

Why they even bothered to release volume 2 is anyone's guess.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

GoldenNugget posted:

atrocious box art.

(japanese version, but as far as I can tell the US version will be basically identical except cheaper and including a translation leaflet for the artbook)

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Dec 14, 2010

Funny Bunny
Aug 7, 2005

Infinitum posted:

Excuse me for a minute while I nerd out.. :gizz::circlefap:

Why is it always that the Japanese get such lovely covers for their releases? I simply can't imagine US companies coming up with such beautiful understated images for their releases.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Because they need some way to justify selling 2 episodes of a series on a DVD for $80.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What's weirder to me is when American releases go out of their way to change the box art, though I think this is a larger problem with video games. loving ICO.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

TheFluff posted:

(japanese version, but as far as I can tell the US version will be basically identical except cheaper and including a translation leaflet for the artbook)

That's fine as long as it stays that way. It's still too expensive though.

Nate RFB posted:

What's weirder to me is when American releases go out of their way to change the box art, though I think this is a larger problem with video games. loving ICO.

Exactly what I was thinking about. The ICO US box art was terrible compared the the awesome Japanese/Euro boxart.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
http://www.amazon.com/FLCL-Complete-Collection-Kari-Wahlgren/dp/B004DMIIPA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292477112&sr=8-1

FLCL finally dated and priced. Hooray for not having to pay the $140 asking price for the Japanese import.

Has anyone seen those Blu-rays, btw? How's the quality compare?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Skychrono posted:

http://www.amazon.com/FLCL-Complete-Collection-Kari-Wahlgren/dp/B004DMIIPA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292477112&sr=8-1

FLCL finally dated and priced. Hooray for not having to pay the $140 asking price for the Japanese import.

Has anyone seen those Blu-rays, btw? How's the quality compare?

Don't buy that. It's a terrible blurred and warpsharped release that actually has less detail than the (japanese) DVD's. It's probably better than the old R1 DVD's but that's only because those are so incredibly terrible, like most anime DVD's from that era.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

TheFluff posted:

Don't buy that. It's a terrible blurred and warpsharped release that actually has less detail than the (japanese) DVD's. It's probably better than the old R1 DVD's but that's only because those are so incredibly terrible, like most anime DVD's from that era.

:smith:

Why is it so hard to own this series?!

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

TheFluff posted:

That sucks, I have the original collector's edition DVDs and was looking to upgrade. Still might $30 isn't terrible and those DVDs do look mighty rear end compared to stuff later on.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

TheFluff posted:

:(
I was actually waiting for those blurays. You don't happen to know how the R2 European DVD's compare to the japanese/american FLCL DVD's? Worth just getting those instead of the blurays if they are blurred and just generally lovely?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
It's generally safe to assume that anything PAL is pretty bad.

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

TheFluff posted:

I appreciate the head's up Fluff and all, but it feels like you just took a steaming poo poo on my day. FLCL was among the first on my shelf, and at $25 x 3 / 6 (ignoring tax and shipping) was the most I've ever spent per episode, and I'd do it again. I wanted it to be the first of many Blu-ray... And it was releasing right before my birthday... and... :smith:.

Here's hoping for a US (or comprehensibly subtitled) Utena release.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Ferretts posted:

I appreciate the head's up Fluff and all, but it feels like you just took a steaming poo poo on my day. FLCL was among the first on my shelf, and at $25 x 3 / 6 (ignoring tax and shipping) was the most I've ever spent per episode, and I'd do it again. I wanted it to be the first of many Blu-ray... And it was releasing right before my birthday... and... :smith:.

Here's hoping for a US (or comprehensibly subtitled) Utena release.

I felt the way you did... but I don't own FLCL already. So... I have no choice but to buy it... :(

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Plorkyeran posted:

I don't know about the European market, but Australian DVD releases are all around pretty drat good. I've yet to see Madman ever put out a bad release, but I've known smaller distributors like Siren to release some really horrid crap. Their Soultaker and Vandread releases in particular were just godawful and were one of the few times I've ever had to return a DVD.
Never understood why Madman never picked up Vandread. I really liked it.

I'll try and dig up some FLCL shots, but yeah.. apprently it's pretty average. How the gently caress that can happen with an OVA and a Gainax release I have no idea.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Infinitum posted:

I don't know about the European market, but Australian DVD releases are all around pretty drat good. I've yet to see Madman ever put out a bad release, but I've known smaller distributors like Siren to release some really horrid crap. Their Soultaker and Vandread releases in particular were just godawful and were one of the few times I've ever had to return a DVD.
Never understood why Madman never picked up Vandread. I really liked it.

I'll try and dig up some FLCL shots, but yeah.. apprently it's pretty average. How the gently caress that can happen with an OVA and a Gainax release I have no idea.

The Australian Haruhi release was pretty terrible. I was trying to rip and encode mine only to find out that they did the framerate conversion by taking the US source (which had been telecined up from 24fps to 29.97fps) and telecining it back down to 25fps instead of just using the drat film source or whatever. They seriously mangled it, not that it's all that apparent when watching it on a standard DVD player or whatever but that kind of butchery still annoys me (and good luck trying to make any kind of progressive encode from them)

Xythar fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 17, 2010

Zarblebug
Jan 28, 2005

Be happy !!
Is this a Funimation problem? I happened to see this post on another site about their Casshern Sins Blu-Ray release. That seems pretty bad, and it's a shame if the same thing is happening with FLCL.

Unruly Amoeba
Feb 11, 2007
I'm considering picking up the Jin-Roh Japanese Blu, since it seems to have all the stuff the old R1 DVD had anyway. Does anyone know how good it is? The only review I've seen is dvdbeaver's but that was from the old out of print BD from a little while ago.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Can you find some? I honestly can't find any online.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
All the links to the ones posted on 2ch are dead now, but http://www.npc-releases.net/2010/08/not-doing-the-flcl-bd/ has a few. It's just all the usual Q-Tec poo poo of smudging and aliased lines.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Plorkyeran posted:

All the links to the ones posted on 2ch are dead now, but http://www.npc-releases.net/2010/08/not-doing-the-flcl-bd/ has a few. It's just all the usual Q-Tec poo poo of smudging and aliased lines.

Ugh, yeah that aliasing looks gross. I'm dumb at this sort of thing though; can someone explain what exactly "the usual Q-Tec poo poo" is? I want to know how exactly they hosed this up.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Plorkyeran posted:

I probably suck at this, but the BD version sure looks better to me from those screens, even if it's just an upscale.

http://www.npc-releases.net/images/flcl1-bd.png looks a lot nicer than http://www.npc-releases.net/images/flcl1-dvd.png imo.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

That's pretty much the ideal shot for heavy sharpening and linedarkening, but there's still a few ugly spots -- the lines for handle of the iron are pretty bad, and the edges of the clouds were destroyed.

bloodyroarxx
Dec 15, 2009
How is the Quality on the Mnemosyne Blu-rays? Its only $40 so It wouldn't be the biggest loss but still no point if the PQ is poo poo.

Also hows Sengoku Basara S1?

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Is there any word when Ghibli's "Arrietty" is coming to DVD/Blu? I want to see it so bad :(

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Well Laputa and The Yamada's got released all of a week ago, I'd say it's more than likely the next round of Ghibli BRD's will contain The Borrower Arrietty as one of the releases.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Plorkyeran posted:

I don't know which PAL releases you have seen but Eva 2.22 and Akira (Italian BDs distributed by Dyn.It) are pretty good, also Eva 2.22 is a motherfucking feast for the eyes on a plasma.

Also I've seen The Girl Who Leap Through Time, nice movie and a very good release (Italian + French, and it's distributed by Kaze).

If you talk about DVDs, well, there are season-boxes of old TV series with 5 episodes per dvd with lovely transfer and an unbearable interlacing, but those are distributed by Yamato Video.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I was looking into getting the Casshern sins Bluray since it was possibly the prettiest series I have ever seen, but I heard something horrible about the US release on the amazon reviews.

Amazon Review posted:

The packaging for this is nice. The extras follow your standard anime path of passing of things like subtitles, commercials for other products and the opening and closing credits (which are available at the start and end of every episode) as bonus material. Outside of that, there's not much. However, that's not why I rated it 2/5. Nearly every black line in an image (ie things like the outline of a character) has a really weird black glow coming from it that bleeds into the surrounding content. For other shows this might not be a problem since most modern shows use fairly thin lines, but the visual style that Casshern uses exaggerated line thickness, which really draws a lot of attention to the lines, making it near impossible to notice all of the glowing and the bleeding of colors that results from it. This really ruins the visual aspect of the show for me as it shows up in every scene. .

This issue wasn't present in the Japanese television broadcast nor was it in the Japanese BDs so this is purely Funi messing up. I love the series and purchased this out of support for something I initially watched via less than legal methods, but I can't really recommend this unless you want to support Funimation and don't care about the quality of product you receive or you've resigned yourself to buy this but actually watch the one of the non messed up editions, which can be obtained in a variety of methods that shall go unnamed.

Can anyone confirm that the US Casshern release is awful, or can I still hope to get it because maybe it's just that guys lovely player/TV?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Edge Zero posted:

Can anyone confirm that the US Casshern release is awful, or can I still hope to get it because maybe it's just that guys lovely player/TV?

There is line glow for some reason, yeah. Comparison screen shots prove it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Laputa: Castle in the Sky BRD Vs DVD comparisons
My Neighbours the Yamadas BRD Vs DVD comparisons

All I can say is WOW. All the glow is removed from Laputa and Yamadas went from a really good release to something even more special.

Fuuuuuucccccckkkk I'm going to have to pick up the Japanese releases of every Ghibli movie now. Those cases are just gorgeous.
Soon I'll have Nausicca DVD R1, R4, BRD R0, R2 :v:

Revolute
Aug 2, 2007

we've got our peace of mind

Edge Zero posted:

I got it without reading any reviews because the show is great and it was half price. I noticed it didn't look as good as I thought it should, but considering you can get the whole series in a couple of nice boxes for ~$44 I wouldn't say its awful. It looks good enough and if I didn't know what I know now, I would've just thought I misremembered how good it looked.

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

As long as these commoners keep coming, the mountain of corpses will keep growing!
That's a fuckin shame, had some of the best character art in a television show I'd ever seen.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I saw in the Disappearance of Haruhi novel an ad for the R1 DVD release of the movie for it...does anyone know if this includes the Blu-ray? That movie was gorgeous and it would be a god drat shame if we didn't get the BD release over here.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Nate RFB posted:

I saw in the Disappearance of Haruhi novel an ad for the R1 DVD release of the movie for it...does anyone know if this includes the Blu-ray? That movie was gorgeous and it would be a god drat shame if we didn't get the BD release over here.

Yeah, I'd be pretty pissed if we didn't get it. That said, if we don't, I'm sure some group will modify a Blu-ray quality rip with the dub (if they do it).

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Nate RFB posted:

Bandai has neither confirmed or denied plans for a Blu-Ray release of the movie; however Manga (for the UK release) has confirmed multiple times that they will release the movie on Blu-Ray. There might be a chance you can import from the UK if Bandai does not release it in NA.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Any idea if the Jp release of castle in the sky have (maybe) English menus and subtitles? Or at least region free or playable on a ps3?

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Ineffiable posted:

Any idea if the Jp release of castle in the sky have (maybe) English menus and subtitles? Or at least region free or playable on a ps3?

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VWBS-1189

CDJapan posted:

Region Code
Region-free

Subtitles
English Japanese French Cantonese Mandarin Korean

Audio Tracks
Japanese: DTS HD 2.0ch Surround
French: Dolby Digital 2.0ch Surround
German: Dolby Digital 2.0ch Surround
Korean: Dolby Digital 2.0ch Surround
Cantonese: Dolby Digital 2.0ch Surround
Mandarin: Dolby Digital 2.0ch Surround

(all the jp Ghibli bluray releases so far have been multilingual with english subtitles)

• Locked thread