Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

fookolt posted:

30hz is a dealbreaker for gaming, but this looks like it's perfect for office work.

Is 30Hz LCD as bad for your eyes as 30-40Hz CRT was? I remember having throbbing headaches by the end of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

Well it's about 2700 dollars less than I spent on my 2.1 system, although I'm including preamp, DAC, cables, etc in that figure.

Oh the unintentional comedy in this is great.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Magic Underwear posted:

The audiophile is confused about why anyone would spend a lot of money on a multimonitor setup. That's rich.

It's not the money I object to, it's the logistics of having multiple monitors.

Wibla posted:

Wall mounts or stands that put them above the monitors? Not exactly an ideal solution, but it's one way to solve it, and one I'm considering for my own setup.

I have a 3x24" + 1x20" setup here, with large bookshelf speakers (Tannoy Sensys DC1 - 40.6 x 21 x 29.2 cm) on the sides, and the 20" on top of one of the speakers in lieu of a proper stand. I really doubt this would be workable with 3x27", would push the speakers too far out to the sides.

You appear to have the magical power of Cornerdesk; giving you the ability to have multiple screens and big speakers and maintain correct positioning. I do not possess this power sadly, and my room does not facilitate the installation of such a thing.

If I ever move out of my parent's house I will definitely consider getting one however.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 25, 2013

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

fookolt posted:

Speaking of which, what sort of VESA stand could I get to put 27's or 30's into portrait?
Ergotron Neo-Flex Widescreen Lift Stand.

coffeetable posted:

Is 30Hz LCD as bad for your eyes as 30-40Hz CRT was? I remember having throbbing headaches by the end of the day.

Shouldn't be. It doesn't blank between refreshes.

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011
I tried to place my 27" Asus IPS in portrait as my main monitor with a 55" hdtv occasionally switched on for movies and stuff. But it's in landscape now and every time I switch on the hdtv Windows 7 tries to enumerate the Asus in portrait again before it switches into landscape and the hdtv on. Which part of Win7 does save these settings? I found something for Vista called TMM, but Win7 doesn't have it. Did anyone encounter this problem yet and found a non-OS-reinstalling solution? Having your windows randomly shuffled to somewhere on either monitor each switch is really frustrating.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

yomisei posted:

I tried to place my 27" Asus IPS in portrait as my main monitor with a 55" hdtv occasionally switched on for movies and stuff. But it's in landscape now and every time I switch on the hdtv Windows 7 tries to enumerate the Asus in portrait again before it switches into landscape and the hdtv on. Which part of Win7 does save these settings? I found something for Vista called TMM, but Win7 doesn't have it. Did anyone encounter this problem yet and found a non-OS-reinstalling solution? Having your windows randomly shuffled to somewhere on either monitor each switch is really frustrating.

Windows has a setting for it, and so do your drivers, probably. Try attacking it from Display Settings in the Control Panel and your drivers.

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

What is your recommendation for a relatively small monitor?
I've been using a 10 year old 20 inch dell, I've bought for 700$ back in the day with 1600x1200, but it has got a visible yellow tint since last month.
I don't really need a bigger display and I don't want to spend that much money.

Since the smallest ultrasharp dell is the overpriced 22', is there something that preforms equally good with a 20' inch screen?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Skeleton Apologist posted:

I've been using a 10 year old 20 inch dell, I've bought for 700$ back in the day with 1600x1200, but it has got a visible yellow tint since last month.

Since the smallest ultrasharp dell is the overpriced 22', is there something that preforms equally good with a 20' inch screen?
Anything less than a 21.5" screen outside of laptops/tablets is going to have a resolution under 1920x1080, which is as low as you should go for a new display.

A 21.5" 16:9 panel is ~18.75" x 10.5", plus whatever the bezels are. The panel on your monitor is just over 16" x 12". The total screen area on both is about the same. The biggest difference is width and that's because you're going from 4:3 to 16:9. The 3" difference in width probably isn't as big of a deal as you think, but it's going to suck to lose that sweet, sweet vertical resolution.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
About to buy an LCD LG 22EA53VQ 21,5" (55 cm), AH-IPS, Large (16:9), 1920x1080 (FHD), DVI-D, HDMI (x1). I am in france atm so my options are somewhat limited although this comes from an online retailer. Costs 139€.

Will be used for gaming, desktoping and such foolery. No competitive gaming here, some online fps but I am not a sperglord about refresh rates and response time. I am building a new pc to go with it but reusing my gtx 460.

I like the colors of the new IPS panels. Opinions?

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

Skeleton Apologist posted:

Have you seen "This is Spinal Tap"? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMVMHNG68m8

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I don't understand why you can't play game at 30Hz. Can anyone explain this to me?

Maybe something to do with fast moving games? I only play MtG and Dota2 so would that 4K set be that much of a problem?

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!

KingEup posted:

I don't understand why you can't play game at 30Hz. Can anyone explain this to me?

Maybe something to do with fast moving games? I only play MtG and Dota2 so would that 4K set be that much of a problem?

If your framerate goes above 30fps, you'll see some serious tearing because the monitor can't refresh the image fast enough at 4k resolution. With the current video card hardware limitations that probably won't happen too much with most modern games, but monitors usually last a long time (I'm going on 8+ years on mine now). Give it a year or so and I predict newer video cards will start pumping out 30+ fps in games at native 4k resolutions. If you're serious about gaming, I'd wait until the HDMI 2.0 standard finalizes and 4k monitors support it.

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist
I noticed all these less expensive 27" monitors state that they won't work with laptops. I have a 15" Retina Macbook Pro. Can't I use one of these monitors if I use an active dvi to display port adapter?

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

Yes.

Although for the cost of a displayport to dual-link DVI adapter, why not just get a monitor with displayport inputs?

Chop Suey
Jul 24, 2003

Wake Up!
Been reading here and around online and I'm still having a hard time making a decision.... Here's my situation.

Setup:
- Win7 desktop that I built a year ago (has a 560ti... Which I may upgrade within a year?)
- Latest Haswell MacBook Air 13"

Uses:
- university / masters studies (career change)
- Programming
- Web design
- Photoshop, illustrator, etc...
- Unity3D or the unreal engine?
- indie game development
- mobile app development
- standard web use (movies / reading etc.)
- gaming but its not the driving / determining factor

I've pretty much been looking solely at dell (the premium for apple displays doesn't seem worth it?) and I've been going back and forth between a dual monitor setup using two U2412M monitors or opting for a single and pricier display such as the U2713HM. I have to choose one setup or the other as im trying to keep my costs in the sub $600 range with coupons. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Chop Suey fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 26, 2013

mrpeaches
Jan 12, 2005
Do some of both. I have a U2713HM in landscape and a U2212HM in portrait beside it and it is fantastic. Games, etc. on the 27in and everything else on the 22. I highly recommend it.

Chop Suey
Jul 24, 2003

Wake Up!

mrpeaches posted:

Do some of both. I have a U2713HM in landscape and a U2212HM in portrait beside it and it is fantastic. Games, etc. on the 27in and everything else on the 22. I highly recommend it.

Well I'm trying to keep my costs down so I have to choose between going dual u24 or the single large u27 display.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fookolt posted:

Speaking of which, what sort of VESA stand could I get to put 27's or 30's into portrait?

I have this mount. It is the tits.
http://www.fasttracksims.com/triple-monitor-mount/

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Anyone ITT ever owned or used a Viewsonic VP2770?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Chop Suey posted:

Well I'm trying to keep my costs down so I have to choose between going dual u24 or the single large u27 display.

Are you going to use the laptop as another monitor or are you just going to use MBA as a really slim mac mini?

If you do use the MBA monitor: single 27. If you're not: 2x24in.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Chop Suey posted:

It's really a personal preference thing, but personally I'd say, as a general principal thing, use a single large screen for gaming and media consumption, and multiple smaller ones for office work.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
Just ordered a pair of U2412Ms to replace my pair of aging 22" TN panels. Was going to go with a u27 and keep one of my 22s, but decided to finally get a nice matching pair. (I've been annoyed for years that my 2 TNs were different, plus one was always too blue and the other too yellow)

Though am I going to regret having 6-bit eIPS versus 8-bit IPS

mmm11105 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 28, 2013

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I really prefer a 24" monitor for games like Dota or Starcraft but larger monitors are amazing for RPGs.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

mmm11105 posted:

Though am I going to regret having 6-bit eIPS versus 8-bit IPS

Considering that TFT Central was on a really short list of reviewers that didn't initially think it was an 8-bit panel, not unless you're doing pro photo/color work.

Komputernauta
May 16, 2006

Does anyone here have one of the Korean 27" PLS monitors? They seem to be the new craze on other forums. I ordered a Qnix for $289 and it's waiting for me at DHL. Some moron put in the value as 289 euros so now I have to pay 80 euros in taxes and duties. It should still be worth it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Komputernauta posted:

Does anyone here have one of the Korean 27" PLS monitors? They seem to be the new craze on other forums. I ordered a Qnix for $289 and it's waiting for me at DHL. Some moron put in the value as 289 euros so now I have to pay 80 euros in taxes and duties. It should still be worth it.

I have a Samsung PLS monitor and it is amazing. (technically still Korean but I know its probably not what you meant by Korean).

The only flaw is the ridiculously short DVI cable it ships with.

Valtaherra
Feb 23, 2007

It's a personal pineapple
So I'm looking at desk mount arms for my U2312HM and I'm seeing things that vary wildly in price and I'm not even sure they'll fit my monitor. Does anyone have any experience with this/recommendations? The two products I found that stand out to me are the following:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002R9HQLI

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-3-W...d+monitor+stand

Is it worth it to spend the higher amounts I've seen for stuff like Ergotron or would stuff like this work? Any thoughts or comments on personal experience would be rad

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist

Valtaherra posted:

So I'm looking at desk mount arms for my U2312HM and I'm seeing things that vary wildly in price and I'm not even sure they'll fit my monitor. Does anyone have any experience with this/recommendations? The two products I found that stand out to me are the following:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002R9HQLI

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-3-W...d+monitor+stand

Is it worth it to spend the higher amounts I've seen for stuff like Ergotron or would stuff like this work? Any thoughts or comments on personal experience would be rad

Check out the HP branded monitor arms. They are rebranded Ergotrons but at a cheaper price. I have one and love it. I used to have the Monoprice arms and the HP ones are 10000% better.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I use a U2412M for my main monitor and some really old 19" 1280x1024 junker for my secondary. I'd like to replace the junker* with something a bit better, like maybe a 19" or 20" monitor that can go vertical. Are there any budget options (I'm ok with looking around for something used if it's popular enough to be easy to find) that fit this description?

* Planning to use the junker to hack together a setup for my toddler :getin:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Cicero posted:

I use a U2412M for my main monitor and some really old 19" 1280x1024 junker for my secondary. I'd like to replace the junker* with something a bit better, like maybe a 19" or 20" monitor that can go vertical. Are there any budget options (I'm ok with looking around for something used if it's popular enough to be easy to find) that fit this description?

* Planning to use the junker to hack together a setup for my toddler :getin:

Considering the 2414M just hit an new Amazon low, you should just match it: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B005JN9310/ref%3Dnosim/water70e-20

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

About to buy an LCD LG 22EA53VQ 21,5" (55 cm), AH-IPS, Large (16:9), 1920x1080 (FHD), DVI-D, HDMI (x1). I am in france atm so my options are somewhat limited although this comes from an online retailer. Costs 139€.

Will be used for gaming, desktoping and such foolery. No competitive gaming here, some online fps but I am not a sperglord about refresh rates and response time. I am building a new pc to go with it but reusing my gtx 460.

I like the colors of the new IPS panels. Opinions?

Sorry to repost that but I cannot find reviews using google's might so I'm really hoping someone will chip in. Comes with 3yr warranty so if anything goes bad I'm not SoL but still would suck...

Copacabana
Apr 6, 2010

There was blood and a single gunshot, but just who shot who?
Hey, I just got a VG248QE to go with my new desktop. When I powered it on for the first time, there was this off-center spot that was lighter than the rest of the screen. It looks like someone pressed their thumb into it. It's been a few days, and it's still there. I haven't done any monitor shopping in ages, so I don't know if I should expect this kind of thing with TN monitors, but it's been driving me crazy. Is there any way to fix this, or can I expect it to get any worse?

Here's an image of it. My camera made the background blue, but the contrast I'm talking about is there.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
If what you say is true, then it's likely physical damage from something hitting it. It should not get any worse with time, but you will also be unable to fix it. Hopefully you got it locally and can easily return it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Yeah I have a couple of smaller but similar looking marks on my laptop - they won't get larger but they also won't go away

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

The Dave posted:

Considering the 2414M just hit an new Amazon low, you should just match it: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B005JN9310/ref%3Dnosim/water70e-20
By budget I meant like <= $120. Does the 2007FPW go vertical? http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/sys/3844775609.html

Specs say it does 45 degree swivel, wouldn't vertical be a 90 degree swivel?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Cicero posted:

By budget I meant like <= $120. Does the 2007FPW go vertical? http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/sys/3844775609.html

Specs say it does 45 degree swivel, wouldn't vertical be a 90 degree swivel?
It does, but what you're talking about is called rotation. Swivel is left/right around the vertical axis, as in you can swivel to point it at the corners of your desk if you want.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Copacabana posted:

Hey, I just got a VG248QE to go with my new desktop. When I powered it on for the first time, there was this off-center spot that was lighter than the rest of the screen. It looks like someone pressed their thumb into it. It's been a few days, and it's still there. I haven't done any monitor shopping in ages, so I don't know if I should expect this kind of thing with TN monitors, but it's been driving me crazy. Is there any way to fix this, or can I expect it to get any worse?

Here's an image of it. My camera made the background blue, but the contrast I'm talking about is there.

Have you got light boost on?
http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/m...html#post989776

Edit: Oh, you mean that small spot. I've got nothing.

TerminalSaint fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 29, 2013

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

DrDork posted:

It does, but what you're talking about is called rotation. Swivel is left/right around the vertical axis, as in you can swivel to point it at the corners of your desk if you want.
Hmm, I was going off of Newegg attribute controls, which don't list rotation: http://www.newegg.com/LCD-Monitors/SubCategory/ID-20

It's a bit more than I wanted to spend, but maybe I'll get a U2212HM, someone's offering one for 150: http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/sys/3900892856.html

I'm confused about the huge discount though (there's also one for 160 in a nearby city). Is it likely just refurbished or something, or is there some scam involving nice monitors I don't know about?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Cicero posted:

Hmm, I was going off of Newegg attribute controls, which don't list rotation: http://www.newegg.com/LCD-Monitors/SubCategory/ID-20
I think the newegg option for that is called pivot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy

Copacabana posted:

Hey, I just got a VG248QE to go with my new desktop. When I powered it on for the first time, there was this off-center spot that was lighter than the rest of the screen. It looks like someone pressed their thumb into it. It's been a few days, and it's still there. I haven't done any monitor shopping in ages, so I don't know if I should expect this kind of thing with TN monitors, but it's been driving me

That's clearly a damaged monitor, not a tn thing. Personally I would send it back, especially if it bothers you.

Here's a pic I took of mine for example, with the brightnes set on 100.