Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

BurritoJustice posted:

1gnoirents asked the first question as Nvidia cards support something called Lightboost which is a display-hack thing that makes motion substantially smoother, it is badass but finicky to get going. Most monitors (like that ASUS from earlier) need stuffing around to get it working, the BenQ Z series stuff (like the one that you linked) and the ASUS RoG Swift have it built in.

If you want to get a 144hz 1080p monitor, the general consensus is that the BenQ's are straight up better, with the only reason to get the Asus being price or ability to mod in a G-Sync kit. The last point will become mute once BenQ's G-Sync monitors finally hit (the XL2420G and XL2720G).

For Counter-Strike, being a game that you'll be able to run at a rock solid 120FPS all the time, a Lightboost monitor is your best bet for fluidity and speed over G-Sync.

Thanks for adding, I can't believe I forgot to explain why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Well, I just received the Samsung U28D590 and eagerly plugged it into my 27-inch iMac andddd....nothing.

The monitor is detected in Mac OS (with the incorrect max resolution being a paltry 1080P) but no picture is displayed.

DOA or a different issue?

Edit: Tried it on another 27-inch iMac, this time with Thunderbolt ports instead of mini-display ports and it worked! However, still the same problem of the computer not detecting the UHD resolution and still limits it to 1080P.

McDeth fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 25, 2014

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

McDeth posted:

Well, I just received the Samsung U28D590 and eagerly plugged it into my 27-inch iMac andddd....nothing.

The monitor is detected in Mac OS (with the incorrect max resolution being a paltry 1080P) but no picture is displayed.

DOA or a different issue?

Edit: Tried it on another 27-inch iMac, this time with Thunderbolt ports instead of mini-display ports and it worked! However, still the same problem of the computer not detecting the UHD resolution and still limits it to 1080P.

I have had a lot of trouble with external monitors and Apple

edit: Out of morbid curiosity I looked into it briefly. It appears it does just plug and play for some, while being awful for others. I'm assuming it's just a hardware thing at that point. Also came across this, if its true/applicable

quote:

I definitely do get hiDPI support on the Samsung monitor, with 10.9.3. With 10.9.2, I could only run it in normal resolutions (but admittedly all the way up to 3840x2160). 10.9.3 also offers a color management profile for the monitor, which dramatically improves the default color fidelity.

However, with 10.9.3, I can only drive one external monitor when the Samsung U28D590 is one of them. Given that I live for multiple monitors, this means that I deeply regret installing the 10.9.3 upgrade. If I had been smart and made a backup, I would have reverted to 10.9.2 in a flash!

I am hopeful this will be fixed in the next dot release. Until then, this fancy Samsung monitor is a $700 paper weight for me at home. I'm looking forward to loaning it out. So from my POV, the "improved 4K support" is actually worse.

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 25, 2014

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Yup, as outlined below

quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_(interface)

This appears to be issue #2. Apple doesn't have any Thunderbolt 2 based devices other than the new Mac Pro and the latest MBPr. So it appears that 4k monitors will be useless for all of your older Macs. This is a hardware limitation. Semi disappointing that Displayport 1.2 over Thunderbolt isn't even to the latest iteration yet. Displayport 1.3 as an example supports: "32.4 Gbit/s with the new HBR3 mode featuring 8.1 Gbit/s per lane (up from 5.4 Gbit/s with HBR2 in version 1.2). This will allow 8K resolution video, at either 7680×4320 (16:9, 33.18 megapixels) or 8192×4320 (~17:9, 35.39 megapixels), two 4K streams, or 4K 3D over a single cable."

Thunderbolt 2 even with it's update doesn't have enough bandwidth to support those resolutions, let alone those resolutions and streaming that much data over the cable simultaneously. As such, and as previously mentioned, it only supports up to Displayport 1.2.

GG Apple.

the1onewolf
Dec 19, 2013

Architect of all things Timey-Wimey
I've never gamed on a 120/144 Hz monitor before and I mostly use an IPS monitor. Provided you have the proper hardware, does having a higher refresh rate (above 60Hz) really make that much of a difference in games?

Is stuff like this a valid test?
http://youtu.be/a2IF9ZPwgDM

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's slightly less than 3 years old, so I don't think there's any kind of warranty left to cover that issue, though I'm happy to be proven wrong. (Bought in Denmark.)[/sub]

All these monitors have 3-year on site advanced swap next day warranties.

Call Dell. (Make sure you have the original box, they may ask for the original order number, which is usually on the box). Serial number + Dell order number will get your problem solved fast. (Serial number is on a pull out plastic card on the left of the monitor behind the USB ports, also on the box. The card will also have the date it was made, so you don't need to guess how old it is).

You would be dumb to try to fix it if it is in warranty, when you could easily get a new one delivered next day...

(I know it works like this, no problem, because I had a U2410 replaced and got a brand new one from Dell next day without even sending mine back. They collected my old one after. Wasn't a standby issue, I managed to blow a few of the backlight inverters, so it was dim. Oops!)

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 26, 2014

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

the1onewolf posted:

I've never gamed on a 120/144 Hz monitor before and I mostly use an IPS monitor. Provided you have the proper hardware, does having a higher refresh rate (above 60Hz) really make that much of a difference in games?

Is stuff like this a valid test?
http://youtu.be/a2IF9ZPwgDM

This is a very subjective question that doesn't have a clearly defined answer. It falls under the same category as asking whether you should get a new mouse or keyboard: it could make a huge difference, but requires you to be already playing at a level where you're becoming constrained by your hardware. And there's no way to know for certain if you're hardware-constrained without getting new hardware.

Are you a high-level competitive player with thousands of hours clocked and looking to up your game? Then yeah, definitely consider the high refresh monitors. Casual player with just a couple hours per day at most? You'd probably enjoy the better colors of the IPS panel more.

For what it's worth, I believe that a higher refresh rate mainly helps with tracking (aiming) and to a lesser extent, reaction time. It's up to you to evaluate if that's worth the price of an upgrade.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It's also a huge boost to the immersion factor. I had triple 120's when I was getting really into gaming and I still miss the smoothness of it. I'm not competitive and I could INSTANTLY tell if my monitors were in 120hz or 60hz.

It's really something else to game on 120hz. I don't like the dismissive attitude that people have about high refresh monitors, either waving away the benefits as marginal or even being completely misinformed ("the human eye can't SEE 120hz!").

Is 120hz going to make you a better player? Probabaly not as much as practice. It will, however, be a very unique and is a potentially intoxicating sensation.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Wasabi the J posted:

It's also a huge boost to the immersion factor. I had triple 120's when I was getting really into gaming and I still miss the smoothness of it. I'm not competitive and I could INSTANTLY tell if my monitors were in 120hz or 60hz.

It's really something else to game on 120hz. I don't like the dismissive attitude that people have about high refresh monitors, either waving away the benefits as marginal or even being completely misinformed ("the human eye can't SEE 120hz!").

Is 120hz going to make you a better player? Probabaly not as much as practice. It will, however, be a very unique and is a potentially intoxicating sensation.

To build on this, you don't NEED to drive 120 fps to make a 120hz monitor worth it. I am definitely underpowered for that (using a 7870) and games are still crazy smooth.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

McDeth posted:

Yup, as outlined below

GG Apple.
So yeah you got a 4K display for a machine that can't support it. Well you might be able to get it to work at 4K, but only at 30hz. My wild guess is that you'll have to tweak some setting on the display for that.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Captain Yossarian posted:

To build on this, you don't NEED to drive 120 fps to make a 120hz monitor worth it. I am definitely underpowered for that (using a 7870) and games are still crazy smooth.

I get annoyed as gently caress if I'm not at a solid fps with the lowest variance possible. I.e. underpowered for the refresh is simply not for me. I actually choose to cap fps even though I have a 96+ refresh right now to increase playability. Also its kind of a magic screen tearing fix as well

To each their own is what I'm getting at haha

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

HalloKitty posted:

All these monitors have 3-year on site advanced swap next day warranties.
Are you certain this is true for all countries? I've had no luck trying to find this warranty on the Danish Dell site, and you'd think that would be something they wouldn't keep hidden?

HalloKitty posted:

Call Dell. (Make sure you have the original box, they may ask for the original order number, which is usually on the box). Serial number + Dell order number will get your problem solved fast. (Serial number is on a pull out plastic card on the left of the monitor behind the USB ports, also on the box. The card will also have the date it was made, so you don't need to guess how old it is).
I did not buy it from Dell, so I don't have a Dell order number. I suppose I might just be left with having to call Dell and asking, but I really prefer having a good idea of the precise situation before trying to get things covered by a warranty. Any chance you could link the relevant information which covered you? Might make it easier to find the Danish equivalent, if it exists.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

japtor posted:

So yeah you got a 4K display for a machine that can't support it. Well you might be able to get it to work at 4K, but only at 30hz. My wild guess is that you'll have to tweak some setting on the display for that.

Nah, the maximum output resolution on the 27-iMac's are just too low to support full 4k+QHD (Remember it already has a 27-inch screen to draw on top of the 4k display).

So it looks like I'm limited to a maximum a non-Dell monitor with a maximum WQHD resolution.

Any thoughts on these two?

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS27A850TS/ZA
http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS32D85KTSR/ZA

On another note, I took the 4K Samsung display home and plugged it into my gaming rig. Unf. Knowing how high of a resolution 4K actually is does little to prepare you for the actual experience of 4K. I was also surprised at how well the TN panel looks. I don't have IPS panels at home, so it was still an improvement over my older displays.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Are you certain this is true for all countries? I've had no luck trying to find this warranty on the Danish Dell site, and you'd think that would be something they wouldn't keep hidden?

I did not buy it from Dell, so I don't have a Dell order number. I suppose I might just be left with having to call Dell and asking, but I really prefer having a good idea of the precise situation before trying to get things covered by a warranty. Any chance you could link the relevant information which covered you? Might make it easier to find the Danish equivalent, if it exists.

Ah, well, I did this in the UK, not in Denmark, so I can't help exactly with that (although in an unrelated matter, I am moving to Denmark soon).

I didn't buy mine from Dell directly either, but there will be an order number on the box that relates to the reseller ordering the monitor from Dell. I just remember that being helpful.

I would just try calling and be ready with information you do have.

Edit: yes, Denmark too. For example, here's the page for the newer version, the U2412.

"Standardservicesupport:

3 års avanceret udskiftningsservice og Premium Panel-garanti"

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 26, 2014

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Goddamnit Asus quit being a cocktease and tell us when the ROG Swift is coming out :(

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
On the topic of Asus and 120+ refresh rates, does anyone have any experience with Asus VG248QE or the VG278HE? I'm not looking to buy for a bit longer, but those seem to be one of the higher rated monitors for gaming on a high refresh rate.

the1onewolf
Dec 19, 2013

Architect of all things Timey-Wimey
ROG swift is already out - it's just sold out everywhere for now.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

the1onewolf posted:

ROG swift is already out - it's just sold out everywhere for now.

Oh, great. Couldn't find it on amazon or anything :(

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Falcon2001 posted:

Oh, great. Couldn't find it on amazon or anything :(

Isn't the Swift a TN panel? Have you considered getting one of those Korean monitors and trying to run those faster?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Coredump posted:

Isn't the Swift a TN panel? Have you considered getting one of those Korean monitors and trying to run those faster?

g sync is going to trump the poo poo out of it though. Assuming thats why he wants it of course. From all accounts its the "best" kind of TN possible and mostly suffers from TN angle issues and while I haven't seen it yet I'm certain I'd put up with it

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

1gnoirents posted:

I get annoyed as gently caress if I'm not at a solid fps with the lowest variance possible. I.e. underpowered for the refresh is simply not for me. I actually choose to cap fps even though I have a 96+ refresh right now to increase playability. Also its kind of a magic screen tearing fix as well

To each their own is what I'm getting at haha

It doesn't hurt that the most 'graphically intense' game i've played lately is Dark Souls 2, so it's pretty darn easy to maintain solid fps :)

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Captain Yossarian posted:

It doesn't hurt that the most 'graphically intense' game i've played lately is Dark Souls 2, so it's pretty darn easy to maintain solid fps :)

Oh I thought you meant you were underpowered in the sense you're moving all over the place. If you can do 120 fps, 120hz monitors are sweet. I made these a while ago for something else but this is technically 99 fps

It blows. But I could honestly say I got 99 fps, which I might use to justify buying a 120hz monitor. I would be disappointed. The 1% time there isn't even very relevant, its the fact it wildy varies between ~60-120 fps constantly.

In contrast with this

Which initially looks somewhat similar but it is very different. The singles that drop way down low are virtually undetectable and its not going back and forth in an extreme manner. This is essentially smooth gameplay. In this case it's because I capped it at 60, but if it looked like that at 120 fps then I'd definitely benefit and be happy with a 120hz monitor.

Another example, uncapped

Technically 89 fps, in reality: garbage

Anyways, 120hz is great if you can do it. It's not if you don't. I'm not directing this at you or really to most people here, this is more of a general public perception of 120hz "problem"

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What would be the current recommendation for a 120Hz/:pcgaming: monitor? Newegg doesn't seem to actually stock any 120Hz monitors, which seems strange to me. What's going on here?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

icantfindaname posted:

What would be the current recommendation for a 120Hz/:pcgaming: monitor? Newegg doesn't seem to actually stock any 120Hz monitors, which seems strange to me. What's going on here?

BenQ, then Asus

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
So if I bought a 1440 monitor and hooked up something like a PlayStation TV to it, would it look terrible like watching an SD show on an HDTV?

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

CubanMissile posted:

So if I bought a 1440 monitor and hooked up something like a PlayStation TV to it, would it look terrible like watching an SD show on an HDTV?

Depends. Some of those Korean panels don't have a scaler in them, so it wouldn't see the signal at all. If the display has a scaler then it depends on what the resolution being fed in is. 720p would look fine as it fits evenly into 1440p. However, 1080p would be a bit blurry because the scaler has to fit the uneven resolution onto the screen.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I was thinking an Asus PB278Q. An ROG Swift would be cool, but way overkill for the amount if PC gaming I actually do.

naes12
Jul 30, 2014
Hey all, looking for a 1080p 27+inch monitor for gaming. I like to game in an old lazyboy chair, to try to recreate the couch feel of my console glory days. I am currently rockin a Dell Ultrasharp 2331H that I bought on recommendation 3-4 years ago. Cons: text is too small to read, need a bigger screen with same resolution (because gamers like irritatingly small fonts, higher resolution means no improvement in text size), I notice significant ghosting during camera movement in most games (mount and blade especially).

Can I correct these issues by movie to a BenQ. Note I am still using Radeon 6900 series with 2Gigs, overclocked and flashed to work like its more expensive counterpart. So my card is not top of the line. Still I am playing older games for the most part (backlog)
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_1195_700_1104&item_id=066723

Thats the best I can come up with. I'm in Canada. Please guide me oh wise ones, because I can't get the search function of these forums to work for poo poo.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Is the difference between 2ms and 5ms response times actually noticeable? I play a lot of games, but I'd like an IPS display for photography. I'd be upgrading from a Dell 2005FPW, which has a 12ms response time.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

ijyt posted:

Is the difference between 2ms and 5ms response times actually noticeable? I play a lot of games, but I'd like an IPS display for photography. I'd be upgrading from a Dell 2005FPW, which has a 12ms response time.
No. In fact, the difference between 2ms and 12ms is also "no." As noted in the OP, response times are basically made up mythical numbers that have no direct correlation to anything in this here physical world. Ignore them, and if you're really concerned about the gaming performance of a particular monitor, look up a review of it on somewhere like TFT Central where they actually test them for input lag and latency.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

1gnoirents posted:

g sync is going to trump the poo poo out of it though. Assuming thats why he wants it of course. From all accounts its the "best" kind of TN possible and mostly suffers from TN angle issues and while I haven't seen it yet I'm certain I'd put up with it

Yeah, basically it's a 27" 2560x1440-res G-Sync monitor and I'm exactly the sort of gigantic manchild this monitor is geared towards. Mostly because screen tearing irritates the poo poo out of me so I couldn't really do 120hz before.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DrDork posted:

No. In fact, the difference between 2ms and 12ms is also "no." As noted in the OP, response times are basically made up mythical numbers that have no direct correlation to anything in this here physical world. Ignore them, and if you're really concerned about the gaming performance of a particular monitor, look up a review of it on somewhere like TFT Central where they actually test them for input lag and latency.

Agh, must have missed it - sorry! Not heard of TFT Central before so thanks for the heads up.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Looks like the 21:9 WQHD Dell 34" (U3415W) is going to be curved, and available starting in December. I'm starting to come around on the idea of 21:9 monitors (at least when they have decent vertical resolution), and the LG was very tempting, so definitely keeping an eye on this when it gets released.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

e: dumb question

ijyt fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 31, 2014

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I'm thinking about replacing my aging Dell ST2410b with a dual monitor setup. I'm intrigued by all of the high-refresh rate stuff going on. I'm a bit budget conscious but would rather not buy too cheap and regret it. I've seen these two monitors mentioned at various places and they've caught my eye.

BenQ XL2411Z 24"
http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-XL2411Z-24-Inch-LED-Monitor/dp/B00ITORITU/
ASUS VG248QE 24"
http://www.amazon.com/VG248QE-24-inch-LED-lit-Monitor-response/dp/B00B2HH7G0/

Mostly it gets used for development, interwebbing, occasional art and photos, etc. Pretty standard goony stuff. I play some games but that's not a huge deal. If I could improve that experience though, why not?

To that end, it looks like I can do lightboost if I upgrade my video card to a nvidia and get either of these monitors, and if they ever sell g-sync diy kits, I maybe able to install one of those in the Asus monitors.

Could I do something similar with a radeon and these? I'm considering a couple different video cards and lightboost may end up being the deciding factor :ohdear:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Delta-Wye posted:

Mostly it gets used for development, interwebbing, occasional art and photos, etc. Pretty standard goony stuff. I play some games but that's not a huge deal. If I could improve that experience though, why not?

Are you willing to sacrifice the other stuff for smoother games? Because those are TN panels

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

dissss posted:

Are you willing to sacrifice the other stuff for smoother games? Because those are TN panels

'Yes'. I've never owned anything but, and don't even know what I'm missing. Plus, the nice IPS panels seemed more expensive.

I was hoping to have matching monitors for mostly aesthetic reasons but it occured to me that mixing and matching may not be the worst thing ever. Is that a thing?

EDIT: I guess the U2414H is in the same ballpark price-wise. I like my current Dell, would this be a decent IPS option?
The bezel is sexy http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-U2414H-1080p-Monitor/dp/B00H4MJ1M0/ :getin:

I think part of the problem is I don't know how nice the >60Hz resolution actually is because I've never seen it in person.

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 31, 2014

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Delta-Wye posted:

I think part of the problem is I don't know how nice the >60Hz resolution actually is because I've never seen it in person.
I would describe it as sort like the difference between TN and IPS: very apparent once you've used both, but generally something that if you haven't experienced, won't be missed. Also remember that to get the best use out of 120/144Hz panels, you need a GPU powerful enough to keep FPS solidly north of 60. If you can't, then yes it'll still be smoother on the desktop and such, but it won't be much better in games.

The U2414H is, indeed, a sexy monitor, and a very good overall option. Note that you can get decent 24" IPS monitors for <$150 on sale on a regular basis, so "too expensive" shouldn't be an issue. As a third option, may I recommend you consider a 27" 1440p XRite or QNix from eBay? Noticeably bigger, <$300 most days, and is both IPS and overclockable to 80-100Hz (luck dependent). You run the risk of dead pixels, but at that resolution they're hard to notice. The bezels are ugly, but $20 and some effort can fix that. Something to consider.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud
I ordered a U2713 yesterday from Amazon, with Saturday delivery so I could work on it today...

And it came with a horizontal crack directly in the middle of the screen. It was still usable, but really sucks. Amazon already shipped out a replacement, but it won't get here until Tuesday. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

What's a good price for the U2312HM? There's some on Amazon for 248, but if I could get it for cheaper I'd be willing to wait.

There's also the Dell U2412HM for sale for the same price but I'd like to be able to support my PS3 without stretching, which the OP said was an issue.