Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

I'm on an ACER X223W that's I've had for, god, 7 years now? In the past couple days I've been getting some serious flickering going on, with the blacklight changing brightness rapidly and sometimes going completely black. I know the backlight is probably dying and I've since turned the brightness and contrast to their lowest possible settings and I make sure turn the thing off whenever possible. I know I'm probably on a fixed lifespan at this point, is there anything I can do to squeeze as many hours of life outta this thing as possible? I'd like to hold off on buying a new monitor as long as I can.

10 MINUTES LATER EDIT:

nvm it just died

RIP

Ezzer fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

everythingWasBees posted:

What's a good price for the U2312HM? There's some on Amazon for 248, but if I could get it for cheaper I'd be willing to wait.

There's also the Dell U2412HM for sale for the same price but I'd like to be able to support my PS3 without stretching, which the OP said was an issue.

It used to be available for $200 or less all the time (I think I paid $180 + tax for mine from Micro Center), but It's been replaced by the UZ2315H and U2414H (which is 1080p at 24" rather than WUXGA of the U2412M), so probably not going to be on sale terribly often going forward. The U2414H can probably be found at around the $250 mark if you wait for a sale though.

GokieKS fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 31, 2014

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Ezzer posted:

I'm on an ACER X223W that's I've had for, god, 7 years now? In the past couple days I've been getting some serious flickering going on, with the blacklight changing brightness rapidly and sometimes going completely black. I know the backlight is probably dying and I've since turned the brightness and contrast to their lowest possible settings and I make sure turn the thing off whenever possible. I know I'm probably on a fixed lifespan at this point, is there anything I can do to squeeze as many hours of life outta this thing as possible? I'd like to hold off on buying a new monitor as long as I can.

10 MINUTES LATER EDIT:

nvm it just died

RIP

:rip:

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

What do you guys think about the U2913WM? is 29 inches too large for 1080 vertical resolution?

I haven't been able to find it locally to look at it myself.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Drogadon posted:

What do you guys think about the U2913WM? is 29 inches too large for 1080 vertical resolution?

Personally I think 27" is too large for 1080p, let alone 29". On the other hand, if you're using it for putting it like 6' away from you to play games on or something, that may not be an issue.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

It's not 1080p though, it's 2560 x 1080.

I really like the idea of ultra wides but I definitely need to see it in a store before ordering it and the Dell store here is terrible so will probably have to wait until the next time I'm in the US

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So what's the deal with refresh rate overclocking? It's not in the OP. Is it something most IPS models support or is it just a few?

Basically I'm looking for a 27 inch IPS panel. I've used a U2412M for a long time and am very happy with it, and I understand the U2711 is basically the bigger version of that. However TFT central says the response time is significantly worse than it is on the 2412 (~30ms vs ~9ms). Those aren't the manufacturer numbers, those are the numbers they tested, right? Is that a noticeable problem for games? More importantly, are there other 27 inch IPS panels available that are better on that front, or does it just come with the territory?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 1, 2014

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

So what's the deal with refresh rate overclocking? It's not in the OP. Is it something most IPS models support or is it just a few?

Basically I'm looking for a 27 inch IPS panel. I've used a U2412M for a long time and am very happy with it, and I understand the U2711 is basically the bigger version of that. However TFT central says the response time is significantly worse than it is on the 2412 (~30ms vs ~9ms). Those aren't the manufacturer numbers, those are the numbers they tested, right? Is that a noticeable problem for games? More importantly, are there other 27 inch IPS panels available that are better on that front, or does it just come with the territory?

The 2713HM is the bigger version of the 2412M. The 2711 is a 10-bit panel that does full adobe RGB and is a bit slower, it's the bigger version of the 2410.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Booley posted:

The 2713HM is the bigger version of the 2412M. The 2711 is a 10-bit panel that does full adobe RGB and is a bit slower, it's the bigger version of the 2410.

Ah, OK. That still looks like it has significantly worse lag though. Are there any 27 inch IPS models that have less than 16ms input lag?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

Ah, OK. That still looks like it has significantly worse lag though. Are there any 27 inch IPS models that have less than 16ms input lag?

Viewsonic makes one. Only 1080p though.

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VX2...wsonic+vx2739wm

16ms input lag is still only ~1.5 frames. If you're not a professional gamer, it just won't matter.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Okay, how about the Asus PB278Q? It appears to be a U2713HM with better input lag. Can anyone with experience here see any problems? If not I think that's pretty much what I'll go with

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

icantfindaname posted:

The QNix/XRite Korean 1440p 27" monitors are IPS, have near-zero lag, and are overclockable to 80-100FPS depending on your luck (mine does 92Hz).

Also for consideration: The ASUS PB278Q (~16ms). There are probably others out there that perform similarly, but those two are top options--the QNix for its stupid low price and OC ability, and the ASUS for its solid QA, features, and all around good price:performance ratio.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Only the single input versions of those Korean panels have low input lag. The multi-input versions have higher input lag than the single inputs.

edit: You may also want to check out this thread and the linked reviews/recommendations.

GrizzlyCow fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 1, 2014

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

DrDork posted:

The QNix/XRite Korean 1440p 27" monitors are IPS, have near-zero lag, and are overclockable to 80-100FPS depending on your luck (mine does 92Hz).

That is tempting as fuuuuuck.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Delta-Wye posted:

That is tempting as fuuuuuck.
I absolutely love mine. As GrizzlyCow notes, you need to get the single-input version, but that's fine because that's also the cheapest version--they take regular trips below $300 shipped.

Just be aware that the stand absolutely sucks, so factor in $20 or so to get a replacement HP VESA stand like this one. Also, to actually attach said stand, you need to crack open the case to remove the old one. Not a big deal, really, but some people are very averse to futzing with their monitors. I went one better and entirely removed the plastic frame, leaving just the metal inner frame, and painted it matte black. Fits right in with my ASUS and Dell monitors, and looks fantastic.

Despite needing a little TLC to get it to look nice, it's an absolute steal. Yeah, there's a decent chance you'll have 1-2 dead/stuck pixels (I have one that's green when it should be black, but apparently otherwise functional), but with the DPI on them you stand a really good chance of never noticing. Also, don't buy the "pixel perfect" ones--they send you the same monitor, but offer to refund you something like $10/bad pixel in most cases.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I've been looking for a new monitor lately and the one I've landed on that seems like it suits what I want is this one, the ViewSonic VX2858Sml. I figure before I do anything though it'd be wise to ask if anyone has any experience with this model or company and what your thoughts are. I can't seem to find much in the way of actual reviews for it out there.

Generally speaking I just want a large (At or over 27") 1920x1080 or larger 16:9 screen with multiple HDMI ports, an overall decent color quality/black level, LED lit, and built in speakers so that I can connect headphones or better speakers directly to it from an audio jack without having to fiddle with more wires and poo poo coming from my consoles. If there's a better model that fits that description, especially for a better price, though, let me know and hear about it.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
For the 21:9 1440p crowd, Dell has announced their own 21:9 monitor to one-up the LG 34UM95P. The release date is off because November is for China and December is for other regions.

The U3415w is not what anyone would have really expected:

quote:

Dell released its UltraSharp U3415W, a 34-inch curved ultra-wide monitor, which the company claims will provide an ergonomic multi-display workspace with just two displays; to rival those with three full-HD ones. The displays are equipped with blue-light reduction technology, to reduce eye-strain. The U3415W offers an aspect ratio of 21:9 (cinematic), with a native resolution of 3440 x 1440 pixels, refresh rate of 60 Hz, and 8 ms response time (GTG). Display inputs include HDMI 2.0 (sufficient bandwidth to run the panel at its native specs), mini-DisplayPort 1.2, and MHL. The monitor takes both analog inputs, and digital audio passthrough from its HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.2 connections, to drive its inbuilt 9W stereo speakers. The UltraSharp U3415W from Dell will begin selling some time in November, 2014.

necrobobsledder fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 1, 2014

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Shima Honnou posted:

I've been looking for a new monitor lately and the one I've landed on that seems like it suits what I want is this one, the ViewSonic VX2858Sml. I figure before I do anything though it'd be wise to ask if anyone has any experience with this model or company and what your thoughts are. I can't seem to find much in the way of actual reviews for it out there.

Generally speaking I just want a large (At or over 27") 1920x1080 or larger 16:9 screen with multiple HDMI ports, an overall decent color quality/black level, LED lit, and built in speakers so that I can connect headphones or better speakers directly to it from an audio jack without having to fiddle with more wires and poo poo coming from my consoles. If there's a better model that fits that description, especially for a better price, though, let me know and hear about it.

I bounce back and forth between my Dell U2713hm and a nice 32" 1080p tv for my monitor depending on how much I want to play consoles. The tv was my main display for several years and was/is great. You'll get a lot of naysayers in this thread but try one out and keep your receipt if you don't like it. The only thing is you gotta turn your sharpness down to 0 to make the text not look fucky.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

necrobobsledder posted:

For the 21:9 1440p crowd, Dell has announced their own 21:9 monitor to one-up the LG 34UM95P. The release date is off because November is for China and December is for other regions.

Dog honkers. If that had DP 1.2a that'd be awesome.

I mean, FreeSync vs. G-Sync is going to be years more before it really settles and using Adaptive Sync becomes a matter of course for both AMD and Nvidia. But monitors can last years, and that sounds like a nice one, so shame it doesn't have Adaptive Sync.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Anyone have first hand experience on how noticable the latency increase is going from U23HM12 to U27HM13? TFT Central's reviews make it seem like an absurd leap, 0.6 ms to 22.2 ms.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

DrDork posted:

I absolutely love mine. As GrizzlyCow notes, you need to get the single-input version, but that's fine because that's also the cheapest version--they take regular trips below $300 shipped.

Just be aware that the stand absolutely sucks, so factor in $20 or so to get a replacement HP VESA stand like this one. Also, to actually attach said stand, you need to crack open the case to remove the old one. Not a big deal, really, but some people are very averse to futzing with their monitors. I went one better and entirely removed the plastic frame, leaving just the metal inner frame, and painted it matte black. Fits right in with my ASUS and Dell monitors, and looks fantastic.

Despite needing a little TLC to get it to look nice, it's an absolute steal. Yeah, there's a decent chance you'll have 1-2 dead/stuck pixels (I have one that's green when it should be black, but apparently otherwise functional), but with the DPI on them you stand a really good chance of never noticing. Also, don't buy the "pixel perfect" ones--they send you the same monitor, but offer to refund you something like $10/bad pixel in most cases.

Do you have any guides for this or pictures of your setup? I am tempted to get a couple and a stand to do just this but I'd love to see how it looks afterwards first.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

I mean, FreeSync vs. G-Sync is going to be years more before it really settles and using Adaptive Sync becomes a matter of course for both AMD and Nvidia.
As much as NVidia hates it, I simply can't see how G-Sync is going to make any sense going forward. Why go to the expense of an actual hardware based solution when what you're trying to do can be effectively achieved in software simply by getting all the players to agree to enable it?

Delta-Wye posted:

Do you have any guides for this or pictures of your setup? I am tempted to get a couple and a stand to do just this but I'd love to see how it looks afterwards first.
I don't have any pictures of mine, specifically, but there are good guides on the monitor as a whole and specifically the parts about making a VESA mount for it. I'll admit that they look kinda scary, but as someone who had never taken a monitor apart before, I found it to be pretty easy to do. A plastic spudger is probably required if you just want to replace the stand but keep the plastic bezel--if you're going to strip it down like the guys in the guide did, you can just use a screwdriver and not care about loving up the bezel.

They're not kidding about the paint selection, though--use the Rust-Oleum Professional High Performance Enamel Spray Paint - Flat Black like they recommend and it will look fantastic. Blends in perfectly with other "professional" monitors. I ended up using gray primer instead of black, and that worked just fine.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

necrobobsledder posted:

By the time I can afford that (and have space to put it down) it should be reasonably price. The 1440p 21:9 monitors look absolutely fantastic.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks
Has anyone tried one of these 32" Acers? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009643

I guess I'm a little worried about VA ghosting but I also cannot remember the last time I actually saw a monitor ghost noticeably, so kinda uncertain about the reality of the concern.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tigerdirect has a sale on the U2412M right now for $185 after $15 coupon and $50 mail-in rebate. The rebate sucks but even without it it's still just $235. Shipping is $11 or free if you have Shoprunner, no tax in most places..

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5535458

$15 coupon - http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/campaigns/include/events/2014/TD_Discount/index.asp

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Drogadon posted:

It's not 1080p though, it's 2560 x 1080.

I really like the idea of ultra wides but I definitely need to see it in a store before ordering it and the Dell store here is terrible so will probably have to wait until the next time I'm in the US
The main issue for me with them is just the existence of 2560x1440 monitors. Like it's an ultrawide yeah, but it's also basically just a cut down 1440p display. If my only choices were vs other 1080p displays (cause price I guess?) I'd go for it though.

DrDork posted:

As much as NVidia hates it, I simply can't see how G-Sync is going to make any sense going forward. Why go to the expense of an actual hardware based solution when what you're trying to do can be effectively achieved in software simply by getting all the players to agree to enable it?
I figure cause early adopter gamers eat that poo poo up and Nvidia will take any advantage they can get, even if it's only temporary. And the more early adoption they get the longer it'll extend their temporary advantage.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Drogadon posted:

I have the NEC one, it's great for gaming. I also like having two 4:3 windows side by side when I'm working regularly; that's why I didn't like a lot of the 16:10 1440p displays -- you end up with two really tall windows and things scale awkwardly.

I've already said this in this thread, but I prefer 21:9 displays to 16:9 or :10 because I get more gaming immersion, in my experience. The screens are wider in real inches over similar sized screens, which fills my peripheral vision better than having a big "square" in front of me. I don't have to move closer to fill my view either.

I will say that 1080 is a bit too short and leaves you wanting a few more pixels. Those 1440 21:9s were perfect when I got to see one IRL.

Dell posted:

Dell U2711
25.17" wide

Dell U3014
27.15" wide

Dell U2913WM
27.55" wide

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Is it close enough to black friday to wait for some crazy sale? I've had these mismatched 1680x1050 monitors for 6 years and my eyes are going to die

down to this
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-293M3-IPS-LED-23-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B009H0XQRS
or this
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VS247H-P-23-6-Inch-Full-HD-LED-Lit/dp/B005BZNDS0

Why are there 23, 23.6, and 24 inch monitors and is that 0.4 inches worth an extra $15?

(I'd rather not buy additional mounts, I don't want usb ports on it, and my budget is $400-500 for 2 monitors.)
Which of these two (or similar) sucks less?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I've always been a fan of the 21.5" Dell, but that's because it was $120 at Microcenter for 6 months straight which kept the online price down for everyone else. As of last Friday they went back up to $160.

So, the Asus might be more convenient to you since it has an HDMI and Audio In port in addition to the Dell's DVI and VGA. It's also a lower price even before arsing with the mail in rebate.

Failing that you could check to see if refurbished models go on sale at Dell.com, with coupons I've seen them under $100 with free shipping both ways in case you get any dead pixels.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Oh god this is twice as much as I was planning to spend but :swoon:

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-34UM95-34-Inch-LED-Lit/dp/B00JR6GCZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409693373&sr=8-1&keywords=lg+34+um95

Any ideas if there are stores in the US where I could see one in person before I pull the trigger? Best buy or something? I will be in Chicago next week.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

Drogadon posted:

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-34UM95-34-Inch-LED-Lit/dp/B00JR6GCZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409693373&sr=8-1&keywords=lg+34+um95

Any ideas if there are stores in the US where I could see one in person before I pull the trigger? Best buy or something? I will be in Chicago next week.

I was already looking towards something extra wide for this a new gaming PC. I'm p sure I'm deciding between the 34UM65 and the 34UM95. For 2x the price I'm not sure the 95 is worth the premium, but I'm definitely going with one of them.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

Well the UM95 was suddenly (I think) $999 on Newegg when I checked tonight so got that instead. Deffo worth a 50% premium

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mortimer posted:

Is it close enough to black friday to wait for some crazy sale? I've had these mismatched 1680x1050 monitors for 6 years and my eyes are going to die

down to this
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-293M3-IPS-LED-23-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B009H0XQRS
or this
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VS247H-P-23-6-Inch-Full-HD-LED-Lit/dp/B005BZNDS0

Why are there 23, 23.6, and 24 inch monitors and is that 0.4 inches worth an extra $15?

(I'd rather not buy additional mounts, I don't want usb ports on it, and my budget is $400-500 for 2 monitors.)
Which of these two (or similar) sucks less?

The Dell is IPS. I'd get that.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Drogadon posted:

I assumed you already knew about it but didn't mention/consider it cause the price :v:. I've heard Frys carries them...but it doesn't look like their location "near" Chicago (30 minutes away) has them in stock.

There's curved ones on the way from both LG and Dell, and I think AOC was another one that announced their flat one a while ago.

Rotation Confusion posted:

Well the UM95 was suddenly (I think) $999 on Newegg when I checked tonight so got that instead. Deffo worth a 50% premium
$999 is the MSRP :eng101:. A few places had it for $899 a while ago actually.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

japtor posted:

I assumed you already knew about it but didn't mention/consider it cause the price :v:. I've heard Frys carries them...but it doesn't look like their location "near" Chicago (30 minutes away) has them in stock.

There's curved ones on the way from both LG and Dell, and I think AOC was another one that announced their flat one a while ago.

$999 is the MSRP :eng101:. A few places had it for $899 a while ago actually.

Massdrop did.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

The Dell is IPS. I'd get that.

Haha wow I'm a bad consumer. I saw the "IPS WARNING" on the bottom of the Asus and bought those thinking "Well of course they're IPS it has the warning"
Nope they're TN. How the gently caress is that legal?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mortimer posted:

Haha wow I'm a bad consumer. I saw the "IPS WARNING" on the bottom of the Asus and bought those thinking "Well of course they're IPS it has the warning"
Nope they're TN. How the gently caress is that legal?

Because another one of the VS series (VS24AH-P) is IPS, and they don't make individual sales cards for most of these things.

Idk, honestly.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 3, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

Because another one of the VS series (VS24AH-P) is IPS, and they don't make individual sales cards for most of these things.

The 21.5 inch doesn't have the warning but the others do. I dunno man.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

japtor posted:

The incoming Dell and LG 21:9 1440p displays definitely have my ears perked up... I'm looking for something above 1080p, and they are at the top of my short list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

With those 21:9 monitors I wonder if you can setup two or more virtual monitors of custom resolution? On games where I need a guide to cheese off of it would be nice if I could get one monitor as 2560x1440 and the other monitor could be 880 x 1440 so I could have webpages and chats pulled up.