Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

japtor posted:

For someone like me that's cheap and wants more space than his old 1920x1200 display, are 2560x1080 screens the best deal as far as pixels for the price? (Other than 1440p eBay brands that is). Costco has the 25" LG for $250, particularly tempting if/when they discount it further like they've done in the past.

Really the best upgrade if you want a larger screen? 25" just doesn't seem like much of a step up, since you're getting less area.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
If your cheap, just get a qnix

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

But the 34 inch 21:9 look awesome.

wargames fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 13, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

wargames posted:

If it were the 29" I'd say yeah, but the smaller ones, I'd say demo it at the store before buying.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I've been looking for a 22-24" monitor to hook up to a Macbook Pro, and I had been considering a Dell P2314H until reading some reviews stating that it doesn't get along with MacOS at all. Are there any decent sub-$200 options in that size range?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

wargames posted:

Agreed. Different story entirely.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

japtor posted:

For someone like me that's cheap and wants more space than his old 1920x1200 display, are 2560x1080 screens the best deal as far as pixels for the price? (Other than 1440p eBay brands that is). Costco has the 25" LG for $250, particularly tempting if/when they discount it further like they've done in the past.

Going from 1200 vertical pixels to 1080, you might end up missing the extra height more than you like the additional width, especially if you are after "more space."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

Sure, you'd be getting an exact number of pixels per pixel, but are you honestly saying that if you have a 2560×1440 monitor, you'd rather watch a 1280×720 video rip instead of a 1920×1080 video rip? We don't live in a world that only has nearest neighbour resizing.

I'd be surprised if it increased the framerate, I'd imagine the games are designed to run at a specific resolution, then a scaler handles the rest after the rendering is done, but I could be wrong, and I'd like to know a bit more on that point, really.

Yeah, output resolution doesn't affect framerate on a current gen console.

Last gen some were capable of rendering at either 720p or 1080p, like Gran Turismo, but they don't do that anymore. They render at 1080p and are scaled if you have a lower output set.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, output resolution doesn't affect framerate on a current gen console.

Last gen some were capable of rendering at either 720p or 1080p, like Gran Turismo, but they don't do that anymore. They render at 1080p and are scaled if you have a lower output set.

Source? First one I found contradicts your sweeping generalization.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Peanut3141 posted:

Source? First one I found contradicts your sweeping generalization.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

Because, dingus, the GPU has a hardware scaler that will scale a 720p or 900p image up to 1080p without any additional performance hit. The render resolution (which impacts performance) is decoupled from the output resolution. The TV (or a monitor) can happily sync at 1920x1080 60p or whatever it likes regardless of whether the game is rendering at 1080p or literal 16 pixels by 9 pixels once a minute.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

Because, dingus, the GPU has a hardware scaler that will scale a 720p or 900p image up to 1080p without any additional performance hit. The render resolution (which impacts performance) is decoupled from the output resolution. The TV (or a monitor) can happily sync at 1920x1080 60p or whatever it likes regardless of whether the game is rendering at 1080p or literal 16 pixels by 9 pixels once a minute.

But that's not what he said. He said "They render at 1080p and are scaled if you have a lower output set."

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

Going from 1200 vertical pixels to 1080, you might end up missing the extra height more than you like the additional width, especially if you are after "more space."
Yeah I was concerned about that but seemed ok when I mocked it up. Only considering the 25” out of the 1080p ones cause at the prices for the bigger sizes I might as well get a 1440p screen...and I'd just say gently caress it and splurge for the 34" superwide at that point.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

japtor posted:

Yeah I was concerned about that but seemed ok when I mocked it up. Only considering the 25” out of the 1080p ones cause at the prices for the bigger sizes I might as well get a 1440p screen...and I'd just say gently caress it and splurge for the 34" superwide at that point.

Some of the 21:9 34" 1440p displays have me all :dong:. I just can't quite bring myself to do it just yet, since it seems like panel technology is in a bit of a growth explosion, right now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Peanut3141 posted:

But that's not what he said. He said "They render at 1080p and are scaled if you have a lower output set."

I was talking about the console he asked about.

The Xbox One is all over the place, yes, but it also sucks and you should not buy it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Some of the 21:9 34" 1440p displays have me all :dong:. I just can't quite bring myself to do it just yet, since it seems like panel technology is in a bit of a growth explosion, right now.
The solution is to hold out for DisplayPort 1.3 and 6880x2880 displays.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

I was talking about the console he asked about.

The Xbox One is all over the place, yes, but it also sucks and you should not buy it.

Fair enough, on that list the PS4 only renders at 900 a few times.

I'm gonna make some popcorn and alert the XBone fanboys that it's not a current gen console. May Hades have mercy on your soul.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And 900p isn't a selectable output resolution anyway, so you're scaling one way or another.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

butt dickus posted:

Has there been anything out with this resolution? I think 16:10 died this generation.
13" and 15" Macbooks

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Peanut3141 posted:

I'm gonna make some popcorn and alert the XBone fanboys that it's not a current gen console. May Hades have mercy on your soul.

Pretty sure the Xbone fanboys have been beaten into submission on this forum to the point that they had to do good and bad threads for a while.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks
So trip report after having the 21:9 3440x1440 LG 34UM95 for more than a week.

Light bleed: Totally there in the bottom left corner. Not too bad, but if you want one of these, be willing to ship it back a time or two if you want to watch movies with it. Some people get them w/o any, some people have gotten three and each have a bit of it. If it's going to drive you crazy, wait or get something else. For gaming I haven't noticed the light bleed except when deliberately looking for it on a dark screen. No dead or stuck pixels.

Otherwise, Picture: Great after some in-windows calibration. I don't knows if it's professional color quality but I'm pretty picky on color and it looks fine to me. Oh the anti-glare coating is probably the best balanced one I've ever seen. Sunny room with side-lighted windows and it's never fuzzy or reflective.

Vid-card demand: The whole "it's a lot more space w/o a crazy ton more pixels to drive like 4/5K monitors have" thing is a really good way to think of this monitor. I can run everything I've got at 60FPS w/ every option turned up on a superclocked gtx780 w/ a 4690 processor. It's a really good expensive but not insane middle ground.

Rotation Confusion fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 15, 2014

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I'm thinking of replacing my 23 inch 1680x1050 TN panel with a 24 inch 1920×1080. I'm not sure about what panel type I should be looking for. I'd be doing some gaming with it, but nothing competitive. I wasn't ever quite satisfied with the color reproduction on my current monitor, but it was on the cheap side.

For 250-300 dollars, what would you recommend? If that's not a realistic budget for a 24 inch, please let me know.

Volcott fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 15, 2014

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Volcott posted:

I'm thinking of replacing my 23 inch 1680x1050 TN panel with a 24 inch 1920×1080. I'm not sure about what panel type I should be looking for. I'd be doing some gaming with it, but nothing competitive. I wasn't ever quite satisfied with the color reproduction on my current monitor, but it was on the cheap side.

For 250-300 dollars, what would you recommend?

dell u2412 or u2414. I'd go with the 2412 for 1920x1200 instead of 1920x1080.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Rotation Confusion posted:

Light bleed: Totally there in the bottom left corner. Not too bad, but if you want one of these, be willing to ship it back a time or two if you want to watch movies with it. Some people get them w/o any, some people have gotten three and each have a bit of it. If it's going to drive you crazy, wait or get something else. For gaming I haven't noticed the light bleed except when deliberately looking for it on a dark screen. No dead or stuck pixels.

Otherwise, Picture: Great after some in-windows calibration. I don't knows if it's professional color quality but I'm pretty picky on color and it looks fine to me. Oh the anti-glare coating is probably the best balanced one I've ever seen. Sunny room with side-lighted windows and it's never fuzzy or reflective.

Vid-card demand: The whole "it's a lot more space w/o a crazy ton more pixels to drive like 4/5K monitors have" thing is a really good way to think of this monitor. I can run everything I've got at 60FPS w/ every option turned up on a superclocked gtx780 w/ a 4690 processor. It's a really good expensive but not insane middle ground.

I'm jealous and i hate you right now.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Did you replace the stand? Have you tried the included software to divide the screen? Are there other options than 50/50?

I'm waiting for reviews on the AOC and further details on the curved LG and the Dell, but other than that I am pretty much sold on the format. I was going to hold out for the whole GSync / Adaptive Sync deal to shake out, but all the gushing over the LG has me sold. I have to replace my 670 anyway, it's started emitting a pretty horrible coil whine, and I was probably going to step up to the 980 since my current monitor is 2560*1440.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Sep 15, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Peanut3141 posted:

To be fair, that was known since the specs were released. It's an extremely cynical and half-assed machine.

The PS4 isn't worlds apart, but they do give you significantly more GPU power and faster RAM for (at launch at least) less money.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 15, 2014

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

Hamburger Test posted:

Did you replace the stand? Have you tried the included software to divide the screen? Are there other options than 50/50?

I'm waiting for reviews on the AOC and further details on the curved LG and the Dell, but other than that I am pretty much sold on the format. I was going to hold out for the whole GSync / Adaptive Sync deal to shake out, but all the gushing over the LG has me sold. I have to replace my 670 anyway, it's started emitting a pretty horrible coil whine, and I was probably going to step up to the 980 since my current monitor is 2560*1440.

I was planning on replacing the stand but the rando VESA mount I got off amazon has a clamp base that's too thin for my desk's soft material. I decided to live with the stand as is for a week and I no longer care about replacing it, it could maybe be a half inch higher. I have a high-chair/standing desk that's a good inch or two higher vs seat than most people's desks, so YMMV. If I run across a VESA mount that has a nice wide clamp base and can support the monitor and isnt $300 I might grab it, but I'm OK with the height for now.

I haven't tried the split screen software, but I think it's 50/50 or 4x25%. I'd love a "2560x1440 & 880x1440" option (would use the 880 for chats/ircs while in game) but it's just not very useful as is. I'll plug in the HDMI tonight and give it a whirl & get back to you.

For the haters:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

I was planning on replacing the stand but the rando VESA mount I got off amazon has a clamp base that's too thin for my desk's soft material. I decided to live with the stand as is for a week and I no longer care about replacing it, it could maybe be a half inch higher. I have a high-chair/standing desk that's a good inch or two higher vs seat than most people's desks, so YMMV. If I run across a VESA mount that has a nice wide clamp base and can support the monitor and isnt $300 I might grab it, but I'm OK with the height for now.

I haven't tried the split screen software, but I think it's 50/50 or 4x25%. I'd love a "2560x1440 & 880x1440" option (would use the 880 for chats/ircs while in game) but it's just not very useful as is. I'll plug in the HDMI tonight and give it a whirl & get back to you.

For the haters:

they see me rollin

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

1gnoirents posted:

they see me rollin floatin

Or thrustin, perhaps?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Have you thought about a smaller companion monitor to go with your ultra-widescreen monitor? I was thinking of placing a scavenged iPad screen below the primary monitor using this kit. It'd also be a great place to put your resource monitors.

It would be neat if it did touch but the kit doesn't appear to do so.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

I usually have an ipad mini propped open below it like so:

I've considered sticking a side monitor off to the right there on that VESA mount I have, but it'd cost me my essential MBP storage space

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Whats a good monitor I can for under $200? Not looking for some massive thing, but definitely want something over 20". I'm currently considering this one, just want to check that its a good buy.

ASUS VX VX228H 21.5-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Quornes posted:

Whats a good monitor I can for under $200? Not looking for some massive thing, but definitely want something over 20". I'm currently considering this one, just want to check that its a good buy.

ASUS VX VX228H 21.5-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-293M3-IPS-LED-23-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B009H0XQRS

If 23" isn't too big for you, this one seems to be a good deal.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Edward IV posted:

Have you thought about a smaller companion monitor to go with your ultra-widescreen monitor? I was thinking of placing a scavenged iPad screen below the primary monitor using this kit. It'd also be a great place to put your resource monitors.

That is very cool!

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

I am having a complete first world problem that will result in many gently caress you's, but I'm going to ask anyway. I've been drooling over upgrading to 21:9 for a while now and finally have the savings to do it. My predicament is as follows:

1. Buy the LG 34UM95 and proceed to be the happiest nerd ever...

2. Buy TWO AOC Q2963PM's (29" 21:9) and stack them, potentially still being the happiest nerd ever...

I was originally put off by the 29" 21:9 displays due to the loss of vertical space, but because those AOC's are so cheap compared to the LG that I've been saving up for, two sorta solves that problem and I'd be able to browse and do other poo poo while playing games in full-screen on the other display. I'd be saving about $200 by getting two AOC's and more overall real-estate, but the LG is also the sexiest display I've ever laid my eyes on (I've checked it out in person).

Thoughts?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
2x29" sounds like way too much horizontal distance to look over to me - I really wouldn't want a lot more than my 2x24" 16:10 setup

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
There's an AOC 34" 21:9 coming out October officially, but I see shops claiming they'll have stock possibly this week already in Denmark. It's based on the same panel as the LG 34" with a more functional but less sexy stand. It seems to be about 10% cheaper (5695DKK vs 6164DKK - down from 6500 last week), whatever that makes it in $ without VAT and Danish tech markups.

There's also a curved version from LG, Dell and AOC - presumably all on LG's panel, coming later this year and a Samsung using their own panel this year or the next.

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

dissss posted:

2x29" sounds like way too much horizontal distance to look over to me - I really wouldn't want a lot more than my 2x24" 16:10 setup

I'd be stacking them, not setting them up next to each other, so it would be the same horizontal distance (I agree placing them next to each other would be way too much).

Hamburger Test posted:

There's an AOC 34" 21:9 coming out October officially, but I see shops claiming they'll have stock possibly this week already in Denmark. It's based on the same panel as the LG 34" with a more functional but less sexy stand. It seems to be about 10% cheaper (5695DKK vs 6164DKK - down from 6500 last week), whatever that makes it in $ without VAT and Danish tech markups.

There's also a curved version from LG, Dell and AOC - presumably all on LG's panel, coming later this year and a Samsung using their own panel this year or the next.

Very good to know. I heard about the Dell, and I've been hoping that news would cause a price drop on the LG, though Dell hasn't announced their own pricing yet.

I will definitely be waiting on my purchase until at least the AOC is out and has it's effect (I don't think the Dell is coming until XMAS, and I can't wait that long).

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hamburger Test posted:

According to Guru3D, the price should be around 499 GBP (or around $800 USD). They are using the same panels as the Dell and LG, and AOC has been consistently cheaper with a handful of extra features, including PBP software.

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

According to Guru3D, the price should be around 499 GBP (or around $800 USD). They are using the same panels as the Dell and LG, and AOC has been consistently cheaper with a handful of extra features, including PBP software.

Yeah, I'm definitely waiting for that. AOC has been killing it lately in every review I've read and that price is too good to not wait for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Overture posted:

I am having a complete first world problem that will result in many gently caress you's, but I'm going to ask anyway. I've been drooling over upgrading to 21:9 for a while now and finally have the savings to do it. My predicament is as follows:

1. Buy the LG 34UM95 and proceed to be the happiest nerd ever...

2. Buy TWO AOC Q2963PM's (29" 21:9) and stack them, potentially still being the happiest nerd ever...

I was originally put off by the 29" 21:9 displays due to the loss of vertical space, but because those AOC's are so cheap compared to the LG that I've been saving up for, two sorta solves that problem and I'd be able to browse and do other poo poo while playing games in full-screen on the other display. I'd be saving about $200 by getting two AOC's and more overall real-estate, but the LG is also the sexiest display I've ever laid my eyes on (I've checked it out in person).

Thoughts?
I think the issue might be just the awkwardness of the vertical height (particularly just looking at the top screen) in that setup.