Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

GreenNight posted:

Saw this one just popup:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/27-IPS-Glas...=item5b0817fe9d

Here is the link to the item on the monoprice site:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_...2587#reviewInfo

4/5 stars with 130+ ratings.

* 27" IPS monitor with LED backlighting
* Grade A-1 panel with zero defects/anomalies
* 440 cd/m� brightness
* 16:9 aspect ratio
* 2560 x 1440 @ 60Hz maximum resolution
* Glass laminate glossy panel with antiglare coating
* Includes DisplayPort, VGA, HDMI, and Dual Link DVI-D input options
* Removable and angle adjustable stand (+20 ~ -5 degrees)
* Built-in stereo speakers with 2 watt/channel amplifier

Really considering it. Anything I'm missing where this is poo poo?

$300. 5% back if you use ebates first.

What, if any, difference is there between that and their 'Zero G' monitor?
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=114&cp_id=11401&cs_id=1130703&p_id=10509&seq=1&format=2

Looks like the same panel with a different bezel/stand and no displayport/speakers.

I'm in it pretty much solely for gaming, so I'm wondering if actually a 24" 144Hz or w/e is the way to go over a bigger size

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Hearing that the Acer B326HK has a very soft AG coating, which is good. It seems like it's available in Europe right now but not the US, where it's been "paper launched" but no one has stock. If it really does reliable SST 4k at 60hz it's going to be hard to pass up.

10000lbsofbananas
Jan 3, 2005

Not for consumption.
Dell Canada has listed the price of their U2715H at $269.99. When I called, they flat out refused to honour their error and could only offer a $130 discount. Their rep was pretty rude too. Terrible customer service.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hah it's still up for that too. I'd take it for $130 off the $699 that's still a great deal!

$269 is one of those obvious mistakes.

FlyingKipper
May 11, 2005

Strong Sauce posted:

Anyone with the 34UM94-P have problems when your computer comes out of sleep mode? When I wake it up the screen is extremely jumpy. It looks like how TV shows and movies make monitors look like when they get "hacked". Not sure how else to explain it.

The Yellow Ant posted:

I have the curved version, and it used to do that. Sort of a streaky vertical interlacing problem? It hasn't happened in a while. My computer is set to turn off the displays, but never fully sleep itself. I turned DisplayPort 1,2 off in the monitor's menu about when the problems stopped happening, so maybe start there?

I've seen the same issue on my 34UM94-P. I also turned off Displayport 1.2 and haven't seen it since. Looks like a bug.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-126-LG

anyone know anything about this screen? seems like a good deal. Not on tftcentral so don't know about the frame lag and cant really find other reviews. Still using a Samsung 226BW TN. Not sure if I need a x1440 screen though. All I play at the moment is PoE and DOTA on a GTX770. More worried about losing 60fps in those games than anything. Don't know if I'll be playing newer games yet and also blowing up a 720p mkv to fullscreen might look like rear end. If I get an NUC and NAS also I can swap to watching everything on my TV anyway

Thinking of upgrading because mine emits this high pitched whine that bugs me and someone else in my family might be able to use it. I wouldn't normally upgrade until it's totally broken otherwise. My other option would be a Dell U2414H for about £200. Don't really care about or have a need for 4k either. Don't really want a glossy monitor either

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 25, 2014

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

10000lbsofbananas posted:

Dell Canada has listed the price of their U2715H at $269.99. When I called, they flat out refused to honour their error and could only offer a $130 discount. Their rep was pretty rude too. Terrible customer service.

Holy poo poo a CSR was rude to an rear end in a top hat trying to get their company to honor a blatantly obvious price mistake? You should post that on your blog.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

My sincerest apologies if this is the wrong thread for this, but I figure it's related so close enough. I'm looking for desk-clamping dual/triple monitor mount and there's so many to choose from yet many of them look awful. Basically I would need it to be very flexible and very sturdy, by flexible I mean I want to be able to move my monitors up/down/left/right/away/towards easily, and have a large range of motion, by sturdy I mean I don't want it to feel like it's about to drop my monitor (or detach from my desk) when I'm doing this. Dual monitor is probably fine but if there's an option for 3 that's even better.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

Brut posted:

My sincerest apologies if this is the wrong thread for this, but I figure it's related so close enough. I'm looking for desk-clamping dual/triple monitor mount and there's so many to choose from yet many of them look awful. Basically I would need it to be very flexible and very sturdy, by flexible I mean I want to be able to move my monitors up/down/left/right/away/towards easily, and have a large range of motion, by sturdy I mean I don't want it to feel like it's about to drop my monitor (or detach from my desk) when I'm doing this. Dual monitor is probably fine but if there's an option for 3 that's even better.

I've got an Ergotron monitor arm and it has been great. There are double and triple monitor arms as well.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Brut posted:

I recently got a 2-arm Ergotron model and it's been fantastic. Worth the price.

10000lbsofbananas
Jan 3, 2005

Not for consumption.

Crackbone posted:

Holy poo poo a CSR was rude to an rear end in a top hat trying to get their company to honor a blatantly obvious price mistake? You should post that on your blog.

It's fair game. If they don't want assholes like me calling to purchase what many may think is just a good deal, they should verify their commits in their tooling before going live. A company with better business practices would have honoured the mistake and then promptly closed the loophole. They STILL haven't fixed the error.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

10000lbsofbananas posted:

It's fair game. If they don't want assholes like me calling to purchase what many may think is just a good deal, they should verify their commits in their tooling before going live. A company with better business practices would have honoured the mistake and then promptly closed the loophole. They STILL haven't fixed the error.

Companies refuse to honor pricing mistakes all the time, you crazy entitled weirdo.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I'm looking to replace a slightly damaged u2311h with a new monitor and that extra wide LG 25' 2560x1080 is going to be on sale at NCIX for $190 CAD which should amount to $230-240 total after taxes and shipping. Is this a worthwhile upgrade or should I bear with my slightly imperfect 1080p monitor for a while longer? I'm thinking about buying a GTX 970 too so I can't exactly throw a huge amount of money at a new monitor right now.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

You're free to try and get it for that price (and I doubt anyone here wouldn't try) but no one is going to sympathize with you that you didn't get it. They offered you $125 for their mistake. They literally could have just said, "tough poo poo, pricing mistake" and hung up on you. But instead they offered free money to you and you refused.

ploof
Jun 5, 2007
The Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor - U2414H is $249.99 for Black Friday off Dell's Web Site. People here are reccomending the U2412M though. What's the difference? I just threw the bones down on a pimpin' new machine with a gtx 970. I'd like to view games on a sweet monitor instead of the costco TN crap I'm running.

1. the u2412M has 1920x1200 vs. the u2414H's 1920x1080. Aren't most games in this resolution anyways?
2. won't 1920x1200 reduce frame rate in games like far cry 4 vs. a 1920x1080 monitor?

thanks in advance! Recommend a monitor to me to take advantage of the new system: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4b8M6h

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

ploof posted:

1. the u2412M has 1920x1200 vs. the u2414H's 1920x1080. Aren't most games in this resolution anyways?
2. won't 1920x1200 reduce frame rate in games like far cry 4 vs. a 1920x1080 monitor?

1. Yes, but PC games should support any relatively common resolution (1920x1200 is very common)

2. Yes, there are more pixels, but I doubt that you will see any significant decrease in performance.

The upside is that you get 120px of vertical space. They can pry my 16:10 monitors from my cold, dead hands.

Have you looked into G-Sync monitors? They seem to be overpriced, but the experience is supposed to be great.

Un-l337-Pork fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 27, 2014

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Un-l337-Pork posted:

They can pry my 16:10 monitors from my cold, dead hands.

You have my axe. 16:10 for life

ploof
Jun 5, 2007
Cool, you have convinced me. The 1920x1200 u2whateverM is available on amazon for $220.00 right now. Now I just want to know if I'll get a better deal (or lose out) by waiting until Monday for this beast.

Eesh and now I want two. I have a feeling my old TN panel is going to look really sad sitting next to this beauty...

1. Do I need a squaretrade warranty on this thing? I've had great experiences with the company whenever I break my cellphone, but feel like my monitor will be pretty safe on my desktop. $40.00 seems cheap for 4 years of warranty.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I wouldn't get the 2414 just because it is 1080 instead of 1200.

Thankfully they went back to 1200 for the u2415!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sheesh, only 1920x1200? Get a 2560x1440 or 2560x1600. I have one, and it's glorious.

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D

ploof posted:

Cool, you have convinced me. The 1920x1200 u2whateverM is available on amazon for $220.00 right now. Now I just want to know if I'll get a better deal (or lose out) by waiting until Monday for this beast.

Eesh and now I want two. I have a feeling my old TN panel is going to look really sad sitting next to this beauty...

1. Do I need a squaretrade warranty on this thing? I've had great experiences with the company whenever I break my cellphone, but feel like my monitor will be pretty safe on my desktop. $40.00 seems cheap for 4 years of warranty.

I bought this monitor from Amazon 11 days ago for $234 and I just called them and was given a refund for $14. They usually let you do this within 7 days, once per item, so if I were you I'd buy it now and watch for price drops in the next week. YMMV, but Amazon's usually good about that stuff.

Izam
Jun 6, 2005

The Milkman posted:

What, if any, difference is there between that and their 'Zero G' monitor?
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=114&cp_id=11401&cs_id=1130703&p_id=10509&seq=1&format=2

Looks like the same panel with a different bezel/stand and no displayport/speakers.

I'm in it pretty much solely for gaming, so I'm wondering if actually a 24" 144Hz or w/e is the way to go over a bigger size

I was looking at these as a cheap wide gamut display. The Zero G version has better back light uniformity whereas the Pro has better color fidelity across sRGB and 77% of Adobe RGB. However this is based off of Anandtech's reviews who were calibrating them instead of out of box presets. Gaming it really depends on what you're playing, if you have something fast pace and can push out the frames I'd suggest the 144 over the 27".

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
Anybody know anything about the Samsung S24D590PL? Primary use is going to be for gaming and I'm trying to keep it under $150, although I could probably go a little higher. TrustedReviews seemed to like it as a cheap gaming monitor, but I have no idea if they know what they're talking about.

Paiz
Jan 14, 2004
I got the Acer UHD B286HK off newegg for 350 bucks on Monday. I was a little worried because there were some customer reviews saying it had ghosting problems but I haven't noticed any since I got it. I got it Tuesday and it seems really solid, if it dips back down to that price anyone on the fence about getting 4k should buy it! It runs at 4k @ 60Hz but it doesn't have freesync or gsync.

I probably sound like a shill but I've been really happy with my purchase.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ploof posted:

$220 is the cheapest this monitor has ever been on Amazon, it's not going any lower. This is the Black Friday sale price.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Dell.ca has Dell UltraSharp U3014 for $1000.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&sku=225-4429

Never seen such a low price on it.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Izam posted:

I was looking at these as a cheap wide gamut display. The Zero G version has better back light uniformity whereas the Pro has better color fidelity across sRGB and 77% of Adobe RGB. However this is based off of Anandtech's reviews who were calibrating them instead of out of box presets. Gaming it really depends on what you're playing, if you have something fast pace and can push out the frames I'd suggest the 144 over the 27".

Yeah, that's the way I ended up going, got the Asus VG248QE. Came today, really smooth. Tried CSGO and I could totally feel the difference in response time off the cheapo display I had been using. I play a variety of stuff and the extra pixels would have been nice for strategy stuff probably not as much of a difference maker than the speed for actiony stuff, which I lean towards anyway.

I also have an R9 290x coming (currently have just a 6870) so it should be even better going from ~100fps to maxing it out

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

ASUS VN289H Black 28" 5ms (GTG) HDMI Ultra-Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor ,300 cd/m2 ,ASCR 80000000:1 (3000:1) Built-in Speakers, Tilt Adjustable

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236392&cm_re=asus_28_inch-_-24-236-392-_-Product

$159

Is this the great deal it seems to be?

I need a new gaming monitor.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Kubrick posted:

ASUS VN289H Black 28" 5ms (GTG) HDMI Ultra-Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor ,300 cd/m2 ,ASCR 80000000:1 (3000:1) Built-in Speakers, Tilt Adjustable

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236392&cm_re=asus_28_inch-_-24-236-392-_-Product

$159

Is this the great deal it seems to be?

I need a new gaming monitor.

it's 28 inches and 1920x1080 resolution so things will look kind of blocky and huge. It's also a TN panel so it won't be as nice as an IPS. If you don't care about that and just need a big big monitor, then yeah it's a good buy. If you do care about those things then the Dell S2340M for $120 is a very good deal on a nice monitor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260109

and if you want a more premium one the Dell U2412M Ultrasharp for $220 is pretty good:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260047

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
I'm looking to finally step up from my 1680x1050 Acer Al2016W and I am looking at these monitors:

Dell U2412M for $220
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260047

ASUS VN248H-P for $135
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236335

I play games, watch movies, and write things on my computer. I built this computer last summer with a 4690k and an r9 280x. I am thinking that I should just buy the Dell.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
Reading the recommended IPS monitors and looking for sales, looks like the best monitor at around 24inch for me is the Dell u2412m and u2414h which Dell is graciously offering for about 270. I was probably going to go with the 2412 since it's 16:10. Sad that it doesn't have an hdmi port but certainly not a deal breaker. Thoughts?

e: must mention that I have to suffer Canada prices

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The 2412 is pretty nice but I'm not buying specifically because it doesn't have HDMI. I'd want to hook my PS3 up.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

You could get a hdmi -> DVI converter for pretty cheap, they are just passive devices. You lose the audio though, if you were going for pass through.

I think the DVI on the u2412 is hdcp compliant but I can't remember 100%

But yeah it sucks they don't have hdmi input, come on! The u2415 does (but not on sale)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don't think I'd need passthrough. The ps3 has a headphone jack right? I have dozens upon dozens of hdmi to dvi converters sitting around at work.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I'm just looking for a monitor to hold me over for at least (3 I hope) years. I use my PC mostly for gaming and read through the OP but I'm still unclear as to what the ultrasharps offer over other monitors? And it seems like they would be worse since I'd have to use an hdmi converter or use DVI but I'm unsure on this. I'm using an AMD HD 7800 graphics card if that matters.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Yes the DVI on the U2412M is HDCP compliant. But the main reason that it's not ideal for use with a console is that it doesn't have a 1:1 pixel mapping mode - 1920x1080 is actually stretched to 1920x1200 rather than letterboxed. If you don't mind that it's a very good monitor (I own one), but I couldn't stand using it for my PS3 back when I used a monitor for console gaming.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That's a good point, forgot about the pixel mapping. The u2414 would be great if you want the 1080p & hdmi I bet.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

GreenNight posted:

The 2412 is pretty nice but I'm not buying specifically because it doesn't have HDMI. I'd want to hook my PS3 up.

Careful, the U2412M is not capable of letterboxing 1080p and will stretch the image to fill the screen, so it's not suited to hooking up consoles.

Whatever monitor you choose, you can always just get a DVI to HDMI cable if it doesn't have HDMI built in.

Edit: oops, there's a whole new page. That's what I get for posting from my phone.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah that makes sense. Skip, then. My perfect monitor will work great with both my GTX 970 and PS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidRiot
Dec 14, 2007

"I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you're only going to kill a man."
What's the opinion on 144hz monitor's? I know it's Black Friday so I'm looking for a good deal. I've heard great stuff about the Benqu monitors. I've always been at 60hz. Lookin' to move up!