Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Whhhyyy :(

Edit: Officially died. it now just flickers and turns on and off over and over

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

If you want 4k and don't mind spending the money, is there any reason to wait right now? We're not in some sort of 'new tech lovely early phase' area are we? I have a 660ti running 3 monitors right now, and would like to stay with 3 monitors. It seems to support 4k, but I can't find if it supports 3 4k's at a time. Anyone know? Also, I don't game, so I'm not really worried about frame rate.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

bobua posted:

If you want 4k and don't mind spending the money, is there any reason to wait right now? We're not in some sort of 'new tech lovely early phase' area are we? I have a 660ti running 3 monitors right now, and would like to stay with 3 monitors. It seems to support 4k, but I can't find if it supports 3 4k's at a time. Anyone know? Also, I don't game, so I'm not really worried about frame rate.

Do you do anything other than gaming that requires GPU? As far as support, check your outputs. I imagine you'll have two outputs that can push that resolution at most and probably not at a framerate you'd like for even video (at least across 3). For reference, even 3 1080p displays is as many pixels as 75% of one 4k monitor

and to specifically answer your question, 4k choices are finally reasonable for purcahse though. Its the gpu side that everybody is concerned with, but for desktop use its more than feasible. Im not just not about a 660ti specifically

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 19, 2014

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Cross post from parts thread. If you live near Microcenter and are looking for a 27" 1440P IPS for a good price

http://www.microcenter.com/product/415596/272P4QPJKEB_27_LCD_Monitor $282

The reviews are middling, but they are reviews of a $700+ monitor. Having just come from a Qnix 27 that imploded, I can tell you within the first 10 minutes of using it that this is easily the better deal. The picture quality is virtually the same if not better (supposedly this is also a Samsung PLS although dont know if its the same exact one), there is no noticeable BLB, an actual (basic) OSD with color settings etc, a much higher quality stand. More inputs, and some convenient USB 3.0 outs. The packaging clearly indicates they tried to sell this for $700+ too, you get all the cables and goodies.

Downside is probably the lack of OC, but I shall see

If they are out of stock at your store you are likely able to order or stock transfer one to you

(also a webcam :confused: lol)

edit: My "OC" is just 10% over, 66 hz. Oh well!

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 19, 2014

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Are there any issues to be aware of with using different size/resolution screens for multi-monitor setups?

I'm looking at a new PC for the new year and thinking of going triple-screen, and my workplace is getting rid of some old smallish monitors. Would I have any problems using 1 big monitor in the centre and 2 smaller (non-widescreen) ones for the sides? The typical multiscreen setup seems to be 3 identical monitors and I wonder whether I'm missing something I should be aware of going down this route.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Helicon One posted:

Are there any issues to be aware of with using different size/resolution screens for multi-monitor setups?

I'm looking at a new PC for the new year and thinking of going triple-screen, and my workplace is getting rid of some old smallish monitors. Would I have any problems using 1 big monitor in the centre and 2 smaller (non-widescreen) ones for the sides? The typical multiscreen setup seems to be 3 identical monitors and I wonder whether I'm missing something I should be aware of going down this route.

It works perfectly fine, my setup at work is a 1600x1200 20" and a 1680x1050 22".

You may end up with slightly different color rendering and probably some difference in DPI, but it's OK for me.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Unless you use an AMD video card, you won't be able to game across the three screens as a single ultra-wide surface. Multi-screen gaming is generally sensitive to any difference in resolution and timings, and even different revisions of the same screen can break Nvidia's Surround. If you don't intend to have a single game spanned across all three screens, then there are no restrictions and you can do whatever you like.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Are there any recommendations for 2 monitor arms? I have a 27" QNIX and ~20" 1440x900 screen I like to use in portrait mode and wouldnt mind being able to move the second screen out of the way at certain times.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

App13 posted:

Are there any recommendations for 2 monitor arms? I have a 27" QNIX and ~20" 1440x900 screen I like to use in portrait mode and wouldnt mind being able to move the second screen out of the way at certain times.

Ergotron.

They're the only monitor arms we use at work, because they're apparently the only ones worth a drat.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

App13 posted:

I just bought a few Duronic single mounts. I'll get back to you in a week or so on how they turn out.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Ergotron.

They're the only monitor arms we use at work, because they're apparently the only ones worth a drat.

Oh drat, those are almost as much as my monitor.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

bobua posted:

I have an Acer B326HK on the way and will report back.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

App13 posted:

Yeah they're expensive, but think of a good monitor mount more like a good power supply, case, or the monitor itself. If you choose well it'll last you a long time. It's not the sort of thing you replace every few years.

edit: The more movement it supports the more you want to make sure you get a good one. A simple wall mount or desktop stand with a few degrees of motion on 1 or 2 axes? Pretty much anything works fine. Arm with multiple flex points intended to support a large monitor? Go big or go home.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 21, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I really dont see a reason to get a 4k monitor unless you are doing some sort of 4k video work. I would wait for IPS 4k displays to come down in price.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

I've spent years on two 22" 1680 x 1050's

I suspect i'll max out on 27" and 1440p if three of them and at varying hz.

4k just seems...

Either it's massive screen and i'll be trying to lean back, or it's tiny icons.

But, well. Y'know.

Preferences and all that.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Blinks77 posted:

I've spent years on two 22" 1680 x 1050's

I suspect i'll max out on 27" and 1440p if three of them and at varying hz.

4k just seems...

Either it's massive screen and i'll be trying to lean back, or it's tiny icons.

But, well. Y'know.

Preferences and all that.

Most modern OSes have DPI scaling to make the icons not tiny on a high res monitor (or to make everything gigantic for little old ladies), but of course not every piece of software obeys the OS settings, or was written when that was a thing.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Unless you are using metro apps, windows DPI scaling is loving hell. And nobody uses metro apps.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Hence it may be a safer option to get a Retina 5K iMac if you absolutely must have a high resolution display, as the OS X ecosystem has had over three years to get used to high DPI rendering. Of course, it does help that Apple's idea of high DPI rendering is limited to rendering 2x in each dimension, rather than trying to support variable pixels per point ratios.

I've even seen people on Apple's support forums whining that Tim "lied" with the 5K support, because the default resolution picker won't let you set 5120x2880 non-HiDPI, which is as absurd a claim as it is to be using that resolution setting for any serious work. It's still available, you just have to hold the Option key when clicking the Scaled radio button in the resolution picker dialog, and a list of video modes will appear, including 5120x2880.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

App13 posted:

Just like a good monitor will more than likely outlast your PC, a good monitor arm will in turn outlast your monitor by a significant margin.

The basic functionality of a monitor arm will probably never really change much apart from the weight it has to carry (and monitors generally get lighter, not heavier), and VESA mounting holes for PC monitors will likely stay at 100x100mm forever.

The last major change for monitor arms was when we went from CRTs to LCDs. Since then, really nothing has changed.

Think of it as an ergonomic investment.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Don Lapre posted:

Unless you are using metro apps, windows DPI scaling is loving hell. And nobody uses metro apps.

I like the Metro Netflix, Youtube, and a couple other Metro apps.

The Metro Awful app is definitely poo poo though.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Just like a good monitor will more than likely outlast your PC, a good monitor arm will in turn outlast your monitor by a significant margin.

The basic functionality of a monitor arm will probably never really change much apart from the weight it has to carry (and monitors generally get lighter, not heavier), and VESA mounting holes for PC monitors will likely stay at 100x100mm forever.

The last major change for monitor arms was when we went from CRTs to LCDs. Since then, really nothing has changed.

Think of it as an ergonomic investment.

Yeah I can easily see how they are worth it and the build quality seems excellent. For the time being I'm going to see if I settle on 1, 2, or 3 monitors, then buy the corresponding mounts.

lorddazron
Mar 31, 2011
So my monitor has gone kaput (red tint down the right hand side) after just a year. Its covered under warranty, but in all honesty, I think I'll just get a new one, because I've got no proof of purchase, and no way of getting one, and past experience dealing with warranties has not been great when I've not had that stuff (It's an Asus VX238H). It's not the graphics card thankfully, as I've tested it on another display.

I'm looking for some advice really. The OP is a bit outdated, and I dont really have a clue what I'm look for.

I want something primarily for gaming at 1080p. No bigger than 23", and ideally something around £150 (I'm a UK goon)

Any suggestions?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

I really dont see a reason to get a 4k monitor unless you are doing some sort of 4k video work. I would wait for IPS 4k displays to come down in price.
Or 4k photo work, gaming, etc...

I mostly ordered mine because my 30" ACD died and I really needed a new monitor, and buying a 4k monitor right now is still far less stupid in the long term than buying a 30" 2560p monitor right now.

Don Lapre posted:

Hackintosh.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Hey help me pick a monitor to go with a new build.. I want one that's going to be good for graphic & web design, but can also handle gaming pretty well. I'm going to be buying a GTX 970 so I started looking at 1440p screens but have no idea where to start. I originally was going to get this NEC 24" IPS - 1920 x 1200 screen, but want to see if there are better options out there in 1440p for what I want it to be able to do. What are my best options under $1000? (preferably much less)

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
You'll be looking at 27"+ monitors if you're looking at 1440p and you'll be looking at possibly flawed panels at the lower price range for IPS like the various Korean off-brand monitors mentioned in this thread... or somewhere like $600+ for a Dell or Samsung 27" monitor. If it's worth anything for your graphics considerations, I got a 34UM95-P and I'm surprised at how well my GTX 680 handles the native resolution, it's not much of an effect on the things I play. All the Dell Ultrasharp models are good candidates including the U2715H at $650 without haggling for deals. If that's not right for you, you might want to start listing some other factors like price, input lag, etc. that keep you from getting that. It's kind of a standard 27" 1440p monitor for professional work to me.

PS. Nice username

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Varg posted:

Hey help me pick a monitor to go with a new build.. I want one that's going to be good for graphic & web design, but can also handle gaming pretty well. I'm going to be buying a GTX 970 so I started looking at 1440p screens but have no idea where to start. I originally was going to get this NEC 24" IPS - 1920 x 1200 screen, but want to see if there are better options out there in 1440p for what I want it to be able to do. What are my best options under $1000? (preferably much less)

I just got this for $309 when it was in stock on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JB6HCIC/

I haven't tried out Lightroom on it yet, but the comments seem to indicate that it's fine for color accuracy and whatnot, plus I have a good IPS monitor that I already use for photos. I played lots of Shadow of Mordor on it this weekend and didn't notice any lag, but I'm already used to an IPS monitor, so who knows.

Generally seems to be a good deal from a recognizable brand.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Has anyone bought and or seen reviews floating around for the Dell P2715Q 4k 27" screen? I'm considering upgrading my secondary U2412 to something larger, and that P2715 is in the same ballpark price wise as the 2560*1440 screens.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Being the stupid idiot I am, I tossed my 2005FPW in the trunk of my car while driving home and now it just makes a buzzing noise and displays static. Unlike my 30" ACD that died a few weeks ago, this one was my fault. It served me well for 10 years. Fortunately its not worth poo poo anymore, anyway.

What should I replace it with as a "wing" for the Acer B326HK (32", 4K, 16:9) I have coming tomorrow? I'm looking for a hi-res, probably 20", IPS, semi-glossy or glossy monitor, with portrait capabilities and preferably with a powered USB hub.

e: and maybe 16:10?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 22, 2014

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

necrobobsledder posted:

You'll be looking at 27"+ monitors if you're looking at 1440p and you'll be looking at possibly flawed panels at the lower price range for IPS like the various Korean off-brand monitors mentioned in this thread... or somewhere like $600+ for a Dell or Samsung 27" monitor. If it's worth anything for your graphics considerations, I got a 34UM95-P and I'm surprised at how well my GTX 680 handles the native resolution, it's not much of an effect on the things I play. All the Dell Ultrasharp models are good candidates including the U2715H at $650 without haggling for deals. If that's not right for you, you might want to start listing some other factors like price, input lag, etc. that keep you from getting that. It's kind of a standard 27" 1440p monitor for professional work to me.

PS. Nice username

Erwin posted:

I just got this for $309 when it was in stock on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JB6HCIC/

I haven't tried out Lightroom on it yet, but the comments seem to indicate that it's fine for color accuracy and whatnot, plus I have a good IPS monitor that I already use for photos. I played lots of Shadow of Mordor on it this weekend and didn't notice any lag, but I'm already used to an IPS monitor, so who knows.

Generally seems to be a good deal from a recognizable brand.

thanks for suggestions, I found a few others around the same price range that peaked my interest and wondered how they might compare to those?

Asus PB278Q

LG 27MB85R-B
found a review of this LG, looks nice

BenQ GW2765HT

e: I'd rather not get something that I can see my reflection in the black/dark colors like this crappy laptop I currently have. So I'd want something non-glossy?

Varg fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 23, 2014

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Well, my Acer B326HK came. But, it has a bright red pixel. I left UDPixel on it for a few hours and nothing changed. Anything else I should try before I send it back? :/

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I'm going to be the first to admit I've fallen way, way behind on this thread -- think it's time for a refresh entirely? Or at least an update of the recommended displays?

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

movax posted:

I'm going to be the first to admit I've fallen way, way behind on this thread -- think it's time for a refresh entirely? Or at least an update of the recommended displays?

An update of the recommended displays would be great because most people who come in here, myself included, seem to have the same question (best monitor at X inches with Y budget, IPS or not) and don't seem to get a satisfactory answer.

Discussion of the actual science of displays seems to be pretty light, so the OP is probably okay out side of that?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Hmm, OK -- I'll do some reading to figure out what the current recommended ones are, and read the past few pages of the thread -- if anyone's had some recent buys they enjoyed, please (re)post about it here, that would be awesome.

Thinking about it, there's probably 0 mention of the 21:9 models available these days in the OP...

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
At least a light treatment re: gsync/freesync monitors would help as well. Though honestly those are few and far between. The next big thing a lot of people seem to be asking for/waiting on is a decent IPS gsync monitor.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Debating between LG 27MP35HQ-B 27IN ips LED 5ms 1920X1080 HDMI D-SUB 100X100 VESA Black($189.99 CAD): http://www.ncix.com/detail/lg-27mp35hq-b-27in-ips-led-06-98968-1857.htm
or
Dell 27 Monitor – E2715H($200 CAD): http://accessories.dell.com/sna/pro...k=baynoteSearch

Dell has the great 3-year warranty but lacks the IPS that I appreciate for viewing things while not sitting at my desk, based on the deal I'd be saving $160 with the Dell product and $70 with the LG which makes me curious if I'm missing something as to the quality of the Dell.

edit: So I'm dumb and missed the in-plane switching on the Dell specs, assumed it wasn't there because of lack of acronym, think I'll go with Dell.

Levin fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 26, 2014

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

This may be the wrong place to ask this, I'm not sure. But I'm at my wits' end here and I thought you guys might have a suggestion: I need a designated display for a Playstation 2. They output 4:3 natively, and run any other aspect ratio like total rear end. So I need something 4:3 that takes RCA or HDMI (there are some pretty reliable PS2->HDMI converters)... and as far as I can tell such a thing is a drat unicorn. Any ideas?

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 26, 2014

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Hello gracious thread. I have a monitor, a Dell E248WFP (???The same monitor in the banners in the OP?? :iiam:). I want to buy another monitor because DUAL SCREENS! The video card it would be getting shoved into is a GeForce GT 720 which supports up to 3 monitors but has 3 different ports ( DVI-D / VGA / HDMI) .

Tell me NOT to buy another Dell E248WFP and use my VGA-HDMI convertor thing to make it work in the HDMI port. Please be the voice of reason in my life.

Also, I saw a thing on the internet from 2008 that says the Dell E248WFP is a terrible monitor. My monitor is old as hell :(

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

movax posted:

Hmm, OK -- I'll do some reading to figure out what the current recommended ones are, and read the past few pages of the thread -- if anyone's had some recent buys they enjoyed, please (re)post about it here, that would be awesome.

Thinking about it, there's probably 0 mention of the 21:9 models available these days in the OP...

I got a Samsung S24D590PL for Christmas and I'm really liking it so far. I don't have any real calibration tools and I'm not a photographer or graphic artist, though. It really needs to have HDMI Black Level set to Normal or it crushes blacks like the Confederacy and the stand only does tilt adjustment, but it's not wildly expensive and it looks pretty. The PLS glow is very mild and I don't really notice it unless the screen is almost completely black. We've got a Dell U2312HM on another computer and the main comparisons I'd make are that the anti-glare coating is a lot less obnoxious on the Samsung and there's a lot less glow. The colors look close enough that I can't really see a difference just eyeballing it.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Quaggan Sympathist posted:

This may be the wrong place to ask this, I'm not sure. But I'm at my wits' end here and I thought you guys might have a suggestion: I need a designated display for a Playstation 2. They output 4:3 natively, and run any other aspect ratio like total rear end. So I need something 4:3 that takes RCA or HDMI (there are some pretty reliable PS2->HDMI converters)... and as far as I can tell such a thing is a drat unicorn. Any ideas?

I'd check out some industrial/commercial monitor companies or some arcade forums for advice. Also, older PDP monitors came in 4:3.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GenericGirlName posted:

Tell me NOT to buy another Dell E248WFP and use my VGA-HDMI convertor thing to make it work in the HDMI port. Please be the voice of reason in my life.

Don't do this. Ignore the VGA port, they really shouldn't exist on a computer built since LCDs became standard.

HDMI and DVI are practivally the same thing. Monoprice or Amazon will have plenty of adapter dongles or cables for so little you might pay more for shipping than for the actual device, and you get to keep a pure digital signal.

As for the monitor itself, it is an older unit and Dell's E series are one of their lower end lines, but if you like it and can get one for really cheap there is something nice about having your side-by-side monitors be identical.

Quaggan Sympathist posted:

4:3 displays aren't produced for the mass market anymore, so if you can find a new one it'll probably be a lot more expensive than it should be. I say pick up a cheap used PC monitor if you just can't deal with pillarboxing, otherwise use any modern monitor and ignore the black bars.

A TV-sized 4:3 flat panel will probably be hard to find used as well, so you might be stuck with a CRT cannonball or rear-projection.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 26, 2014