Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Has anyone had experiences with the LG 29UM57-P? I can't find any professional reviews on it so I can't tell if it's decent or not. Friend's looking to get a 21:9 monitor (2560x1080 is all he wants) and is eyeing that one. Are there any other decent 21:9 monitors around that size worth considering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Does anyone have a favorite 27" 2560x1440 display that does Display Port natively? Preferably in the $300-400 range. I recall some news blurbs early this year that Dell was going to release such a thing, but haven't seen anything like that actually available. I've got two of the cheap Korean deals from a few years back, but my new graphics card only has one (DL)DVI port. I'm also considering a DP to DVI converter, but from what I gather I need an active one, which will cost $80-100 and could be a crap shoot on whether it will work / work well. I am kinda kicking myself for not picking up a Samsung 4k display that costco had for $430 a few months ago.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Aquila posted:

Does anyone have a favorite 27" 2560x1440 display that does Display Port natively? Preferably in the $300-400 range. I recall some news blurbs early this year that Dell was going to release such a thing, but haven't seen anything like that actually available. I've got two of the cheap Korean deals from a few years back, but my new graphics card only has one (DL)DVI port. I'm also considering a DP to DVI converter, but from what I gather I need an active one, which will cost $80-100 and could be a crap shoot on whether it will work / work well. I am kinda kicking myself for not picking up a Samsung 4k display that costco had for $430 a few months ago.

I'm getting one of these (used) shipped in today. The used/refurbished ones cost between 330-375-ish. I'll let you know what I think.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

So I'm in the very preliminary budgeting stage for a new gaming PC, and I figured I'd start with the monitor since it'll dictate the resolution I aim for (and thus the video card and thus basically half the cost of the drat thing between the monitor and video card) and I'm curious: has the market always been this unnavigable mess of alphabet soup or did this start happening with LCDs and the rise of HD? The last time I bought a monitor was like 2002 and it was a CRT from a box store so I'm kind of reeling at the sheer gamut of options.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Well first off, what are you going to be using the monitor for? What is your price range?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

ProfessorBooty posted:

I'm getting one of these (used) shipped in today. The used/refurbished ones cost between 330-375-ish. I'll let you know what I think.

So, hey. I like this monitor. Then again, I'm using this as a secondary monitor, so I don't have a problem with 60 hz/5 ms delay. Apparently it can be overclocked to 120 hz safely (I know nothing of overclocking monitors)? I cannot detect any of the 'damage' described by Amazon's used section, and it shipped free with prime. I would recommend checking what specifically is damaged, though. I know one described scratches on the panel. It seems as bright a my Asus VG248QE, so they go well together for the most part. It doesn't support displayport daisy-chaining (not a problem for me as my video card has more than enough displayport outputs), and it can be flipped vertically pretty easily for viewing/plugging in stuff.

I am by no means a monitor professional, but I love the extra workspace.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

GruntyThrst posted:

I'm curious: has the market always been this unnavigable mess of alphabet soup or did this start happening with LCDs and the rise of HD? The last time I bought a monitor was like 2002 and it was a CRT from a box store so I'm kind of reeling at the sheer gamut of options.
The later, more or less. When they were CRTs they were all effectively the same display tech--only towards the end did anyone really try to advance it, and even that was just tweaks: "flat screens" and the like. Now you have legitimately different display technologies providing you options and trade-offs depending on what it is you value most. Also they don't weigh 50+lbs. It's nice.

ProfessorBooty posted:

Apparently it can be overclocked to 120 hz safely (I know nothing of overclocking monitors)?
This was put forth by a Guy On The Interwebs who didn't really know what he was doing. Yes, you can force it to accept signals at higher than 60Hz, but the monitor itself will simply discard all but 60 of those frames. So if you sent it a 120Hz signal, it would only actually display every other frame (though most likely it wouldn't be that consistent and would randomly skip 1-3 frames instead of a nice either-or pacing). If you want an IPS over 60Hz, you have to either buy a QNix (or similar) or one of the just-released fancy-pants monitors that legitimately supports 120/144Hz.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
So after a couple of days using a Dell P2415Q monitor, I have to say that at 24 inches, 4k is too much. My head is about 4 feet from the monitor and it is hard to discern individual pixels. This would probably matter less if windows' UI scaling wasn't so terrible. Menus and text seem to scale properly but I have seen two annoying examples of scale failure so far: Text inside a button scales, but the button does not so half the text is hidden, and Chrome takes the windows scaling and applies it to viewing image files, so an image will be blown up by whatever scaling percentage you chose. This means if you choose 150% (because everything smaller is tiny) then your 4k image is suddenly 6k pixels wide and blurry so you have to zoom the browser out to 66% to see it at its actual resolution with 1:1 pixel ratio.

The monitor itself has a decently small bezel, 3 USB ports and tilts, swivels and rotates at pretty much any angle. The base it is attached to is pretty nice too and lets you elevate the monitor from roughly 5-20cm above the level of the desk. Just enough to rotate to portrait mode.

IDK if I will keep it, I'll have to see if I get used to 4k at this physical size.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

ProfessorBooty posted:

So, hey. I like this monitor. Then again, I'm using this as a secondary monitor, so I don't have a problem with 60 hz/5 ms delay. Apparently it can be overclocked to 120 hz safely (I know nothing of overclocking monitors)? I cannot detect any of the 'damage' described by Amazon's used section, and it shipped free with prime. I would recommend checking what specifically is damaged, though. I know one described scratches on the panel. It seems as bright a my Asus VG248QE, so they go well together for the most part. It doesn't support displayport daisy-chaining (not a problem for me as my video card has more than enough displayport outputs), and it can be flipped vertically pretty easily for viewing/plugging in stuff.

I am by no means a monitor professional, but I love the extra workspace.

Thanks, this is just the kind of info I'm after.

Of course the more I think about it the more I want a 120Hz or Gsync or 4k monitor :(

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Budgie posted:

So after a couple of days using a Dell P2415Q monitor, I have to say that at 24 inches, 4k is too much. My head is about 4 feet from the monitor and it is hard to discern individual pixels. This would probably matter less if windows' UI scaling wasn't so terrible. Menus and text seem to scale properly but I have seen two annoying examples of scale failure so far: Text inside a button scales, but the button does not so half the text is hidden, and Chrome takes the windows scaling and applies it to viewing image files, so an image will be blown up by whatever scaling percentage you chose. This means if you choose 150% (because everything smaller is tiny) then your 4k image is suddenly 6k pixels wide and blurry so you have to zoom the browser out to 66% to see it at its actual resolution with 1:1 pixel ratio.

The monitor itself has a decently small bezel, 3 USB ports and tilts, swivels and rotates at pretty much any angle. The base it is attached to is pretty nice too and lets you elevate the monitor from roughly 5-20cm above the level of the desk. Just enough to rotate to portrait mode.

IDK if I will keep it, I'll have to see if I get used to 4k at this physical size.

I found Chrome's scaling to be garbage compared to Firefox. I've also been using Win10 which handles scaling a hell of a lot better than 7, too.
24" 4k without scaling is hellishly small though, I find 27" 4k to be borderline.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Are there any reasonably-priced e-ink monitors/displays available? I'm looking for an ultra-low-power display to drive from a Raspberry Pi. The only one I've managed to find is the Dasung PaperLike, and they want almost a grand for it. Refresh rate isn't an issue at all, in fact ideally I'd only refresh when there's updates on the screen and even then only once every couple seconds.

I'm thinking I may be best off trying to build on top of the Kindleberry Pi concept instead. I'd rather not waste the power of running a second processor, but I guess it'd be ok.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so newegg has the u2414h for $220 with a promo code. is that about as good as it gets? kind of need a new monitor pronto.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Budgie posted:

Yeah, there is no way in hell I would use a 24" 4K unless it's with HiDPI for 1080p effective.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

GokieKS posted:

Yeah, there is no way in hell I would use a 24" 4K unless it's with HiDPI for 1080p effective.

Even then half your apps will be broken as gently caress.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Don Lapre posted:

Even then half your apps will be broken as gently caress.

I probably should've also specified "on OS X".

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Paul MaudDib posted:

Are there any reasonably-priced e-ink monitors/displays available? I'm looking for an ultra-low-power display to drive from a Raspberry Pi. The only one I've managed to find is the Dasung PaperLike, and they want almost a grand for it. Refresh rate isn't an issue at all, in fact ideally I'd only refresh when there's updates on the screen and even then only once every couple seconds.

I'm thinking I may be best off trying to build on top of the Kindleberry Pi concept instead. I'd rather not waste the power of running a second processor, but I guess it'd be ok.

http://www.densipaper.com/product/ez102at011-tc

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/SW074AS182/SW074AS182-ND/4898789

Seems like it's more economical to rip apart an old Kindle though.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 8, 2015

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
OK, just gotten an AOC U3477PQU set up. Fairly knocked out by first impressions, even though I haven't done any kind of calibration on it yet or really run it through its paces.

There's a bit of IPS glow but that's no shock considering the reviews, and having tried a few "dark" things out it looks like something I can easily deal with considering how awesome everything else is.

Only one thing is, when I turn the monitor off, the windows all reset into the corner in Windows. Apparently the card might have something to do with it - it's a AMD 6950, which is obviously the next thing I'll have to deal with since it has no business trying to drive anything this big.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Abel Wingnut posted:

so newegg has the u2414h for $220 with a promo code. is that about as good as it gets? kind of need a new monitor pronto.
It’s great with the one exception of the capacitative buttons, which will drive you up the goddamn wall. Always takes me five attempts to shut the drat thing on and off.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I want to have a 27" 1440 monitor flanked by 2 monitors in portrait mode. Is there a known set of monitors out there that will give me IPS panels with decent resolution with bezel and screen size that fits the 27" monitor to line up perfectly?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

signalnoise posted:

I want to have a 27" 1440 monitor flanked by 2 monitors in portrait mode. Is there a known set of monitors out there that will give me IPS panels with decent resolution with bezel and screen size that fits the 27" monitor to line up perfectly?
You'd need something like a 15-16" 1440x900 (maybe 1440x1024 if those exist) IPS monitor, I believe some panels in laptops have those and might suit, but I've very quickly searched for a standalone monitor of that particular size and resolution and come up with zilch.

15" monitors exist, but they're usually 1024x768 (and probably mainly get used in industrial situations or something these days). 1440x900 monitors exist, but they're usually 19" and thus will be too "tall" to match the 27".

There's a bit of indepth discussion here, though the thread is from 2012 so IPS is probably more prevalent now but unless you're going to gut a couple of laptops for their panels, there's nothing really out there that would match the configuration you're after.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1687193

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Deadly Hume posted:

Only one thing is, when I turn the monitor off, the windows all reset into the corner in Windows. Apparently the card might have something to do with it - it's a AMD 6950, which is obviously the next thing I'll have to deal with since it has no business trying to drive anything this big.

This is just how displayport behaves. With other connectors, even if the monitor is turned off, there is a passive connection between two pins that says 'something is plugged in here'. Not so for displayport.

When you turn off a displayport monitor, windows thinks it has been entirely unplugged, so tries to move any windows/icons onto the remaining display(s). If you don't have any others, it defaults to the 640x480 'minimum' display.

If you can, adjust your power savings to sleep the monitor, and leave it physically turned on.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

EoRaptor posted:

This is just how displayport behaves.
is this also a valid answer for why my graphics driver randomly fails and recovers itself for no reason like once or twice a day? (I have a MSI GTX 970 and a LG 27MB85R-B)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EoRaptor posted:

This is just how displayport behaves. With other connectors, even if the monitor is turned off, there is a passive connection between two pins that says 'something is plugged in here'. Not so for displayport.

Not true, DisplayPort is actually more strict about this than DVI and HDMI. I looked up the specs when a similar claim was made a few months ago: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=445449225

If your monitor is "disappearing" when powered off it's doing DisplayPort wrong.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

wolrah posted:

Not true, DisplayPort is actually more strict about this than DVI and HDMI. I looked up the specs when a similar claim was made a few months ago: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=445449225

If your monitor is "disappearing" when powered off it's doing DisplayPort wrong.

Yea, I was going to say this. Many (expensive, even) monitors do this wrong. My Dell U3014 fucks it up. The HP Z27s and Acer XB270hu I have both do it right, aka windows doesn't reset my desktop on power off unless I physically pull the power cord from the screen.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
That poo poo happens all the time with my u3415w which is supposedly new and expensive... so maybe it's a Dell thing.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Can you guys suggest a good 24" IPS monitor that's flicker free? My friend is looking to finally upgrade his 19" screen (yea I don't know how he lives with that) and has a budget of up to $200. Used for gaming, like skyrim, WoW, no fps type stuff, and web browsing. Potentially Netflix.

I suggested the LG 24mp55hq-p but he has something against buying things that aren't directly through Amazon or newegg (it's currently from Directron through Amazon). He's looking at the AOC i2421vwh but that doesn't seem to be flicker-free.

I think I've inadvertently put my pickiness onto him and thrown way too much information at him that may be irrelevant (TN vs IPS, flicker-free).

So any suggestions would be helpful. Constantly trying to check reviews on each monitor he finds is proving a lot of effort.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

wolrah posted:

I just picked up a cheap ASUS PB278Q on Craigslist and, yep, I can add this one to the long list of monitors that do DisplayPort wrong.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
Is it the monitor or the OS? This happens with my AMH A399U on Windows, but not Ubuntu.

Nilisco
Sep 11, 2001
Switched gears and ended up getting the VA Benq ew2740l. 1920 at 27 inches is way too few pixels but man actual really good black levels is such a nice change. Media is gorgeous and watching night scenes in film is much more pleasant.

Keeping this until a higher res decently reviewed VA comes out (that isn't 1300$)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zorilla posted:

I just picked up a cheap ASUS PB278Q on Craigslist and, yep, I can add this one to the long list of monitors that do DisplayPort wrong.

That's really odd, since Asus gets it right in the VG248QE.

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011
Got a used QNIX QX2710 and going from a 23 inch to 27 inch adds a lot of wonderful space. I should have done this months ago. :stare:

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Papercut posted:

Is it the monitor or the OS? This happens with my AMH A399U on Windows, but not Ubuntu.

It's an arguably bad interaction between the monitor and Windows. When you press the power button on affected monitors, it disconnects completely (which it shouldn't do), then Windows goes and acts like you've just dropped the resolution down to 1024x768 or whatever and moves all your windows into those confines.

While it's still a good idea for the OS to prevent windows from positioning themselves outside the usable desktop area, there really should be an option for advanced users to prevent this behavior since it's obvious monitor manufacturers are refusing to get their act together.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 10, 2015

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Zorilla posted:

While it's still a good idea for the OS to prevent windows from positioning themselves outside the usable desktop area, there really should be an option for advanced users to prevent this behavior since it's obvious monitor manufacturers are refusing to get their act together.
It'd also be really nice for when you do physically disconnect things, but don't want to re-shuffle everything because you're just going to reconnect it later. See: laptops being connected/disconnected to projectors. But we'll never get that because Windows.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

After messing around with a bunch of regedit hacks that didn't really work, I found some kludgy thing which at least keeps the windows where they've put.
http://www.ninjacrab.com/persistent-windows/

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS
I'm looking for a 27" IPS 60hz 4K monitor for primarily gaming use with some occasional movie watching and programming work. I know about input lag but I don't think I'll be able to tell the difference.

My budget is around $900 CAD :canada:

The best match seemed to be a Dell P2715Q which can be had from newegg for $719. Is this a good choice at a good price for my needs?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Daysvala posted:

I'm looking for a 27" IPS 60hz 4K monitor for primarily gaming use with some occasional movie watching and programming work. I know about input lag but I don't think I'll be able to tell the difference.

My budget is around $900 CAD :canada:

The best match seemed to be a Dell P2715Q which can be had from newegg for $719. Is this a good choice at a good price for my needs?

Honestly, why not look at a 34" 21:9 instead of 4k?

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS

Don Lapre posted:

Honestly, why not look at a 34" 21:9 instead of 4k?

That's pretty huge for my needs and the space it would be set up in. I tried using a 32" 1920x1080 LG and the text was completely unreadable. The 4K is optional, it just seemed to be what everyone was moving towards and it sounded vaguely nice to have.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
32" and 1920 * 1080 sounds like it was a TV and not a monitor, which typically mangles text really badly. (Cleartype settings need to be adjusted, TV settings like sharpness need to be reigned in).

I still wouldn't bother with a 4k screen primarily for gaming purposes. The ultrawides or high refresh rate gsync Acer are just plain better choices imo.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Yeah 4k at 27" is pretty rough in 2 ways: text gets small as hell for most apps, and your video card now has to render a poo poo load more data per frame. I'd try to find somewhere you can see it in person before jumping from 1440p to 4k.

I'm not saying don't do it, just that I'm using a 1440p 27 and I don't think I'd want 4k at this size.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS
Okay, thanks for the advice thread. I think I'll go with the ASUS PB278Q instead.