Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tab8715 posted:

Well, that correct... But it's a 28" TN Panel.

Yeah, I shouldn't encourage purchase of such things. (I am eager to replace my TN Swift, indeed.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gwaihir posted:

They exist, but yea, TN, don't bother with them yet. Multiple monitors works fine with Gsync. (I have the Acer xb270hu, a dell 3014, and an HDTV on the other side of the room plugged in to my desktop).

Can you enable gsync on non-primary monitors?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
No? The control panel detects which one is gsync enabled, and also says that you have to set it as your primary monitor for it to work. The toggle is just a global toggle, too, it's not a per monitor thing.
I don't know what would happen if you had something like multiple XB270HUs plugged in. I'm guessing that gsync would only work on one of them at a time, although I guess if you somehow combined 3 of them in to a surround screen that might work?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, that's what I was wondering too. I might do 4K primary and 1440 gsync secondary, gaming mostly on the latter. I guess I could make 1440 the primary, I forget why I didn't want to do that.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
Anyone have any opinions on the ASUS VG278HE for gaming? About to buy two...

tyrelhill fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 27, 2015

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Has anyone heard of a Korean or any cheaper offbrand 34" 1440p ultrawide yet? Really want to pick one of these up for work but the pricetag is still a bit painful. The non-curved LG one is down a hair under $800 which is better, though I am still not sold on if the curve is good or not.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, that's what I was wondering too. I might do 4K primary and 1440 gsync secondary, gaming mostly on the latter. I guess I could make 1440 the primary, I forget why I didn't want to do that.

Mostly it just controls what monitor windows pop up on by default. That can be annoying if the primary screen happens to be turned off, but otherwise it's pretty harmless. In some cases it also controls what list of potential resolutions will show up in games, depending on the title.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

tyrelhill posted:

Anyone have any opinions on the ASUS VG278HE for gaming? About to buy two...

I would not get TN screens that big, it has good response times but I'd rather get one XB270HU than two of those, higher resolution, much better color, 144Hz with GSync etc...

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Cinara posted:

Has anyone heard of a Korean or any cheaper offbrand 34" 1440p ultrawide yet? Really want to pick one of these up for work but the pricetag is still a bit painful. The non-curved LG one is down a hair under $800 which is better, though I am still not sold on if the curve is good or not.

Crossover makes a 1080p 21:9 monitor but I haven't seen any of the Korean brands with a 1440p model. My guess is that the production runs of these panels isn't big enough to provide enough b-stock to support a 3rd party market in them.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I would not get TN screens that big, it has good response times but I'd rather get one XB270HU than two of those, higher resolution, much better color, 144Hz with GSync etc...

Okay thanks for the advice, i went with a XB270HU

radioaktivitat
Sep 2, 2011
I need a monitor to fit into a fairly small space on my desk at home, so size is a major limiting factor. I've been using a 17" TN panel from the dark ages but would like to upgrade a bit. I tried a Dell P1914S which is an IPS panel but the maximum resolution is 1280x1024 and text is very visibly blurry - I think it would be fine if it did 1600x1200 but it looks like all 19" 4:3 monitors do a maximum of 1280x1024. I think this means I need to get a small widescreen instead.

My work monitors are a pair of BenQ G2222HDLs which seem OK and do 1920x1080. I think they're pretty old now though so I guess there are better 21.5"/22" options out there. I've mostly just got confused while trying to figure out what to go for, and unfortunately there aren't really any stores near me where I can go and check some out in person.

I mostly want it for websurfing and a small amount of non-professional-standard photo stuff. I need a DVI input. Budget is ~£150. I think I might be hugely overthinking things. Help?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Krailor posted:

Crossover makes a 1080p 21:9 monitor but I haven't seen any of the Korean brands with a 1440p model. My guess is that the production runs of these panels isn't big enough to provide enough b-stock to support a 3rd party market in them.

That's what I was worried about, really don't want to go down to 1080p. Being able to have someone else's 1080p monitor in only a part of my monitor in a remote session is really nice.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
What kind of card do I need to reliably drive 1440p high/ultra details at ~60fps in most games? I'm trying to do decide whether I want to bother with 1440p gsync stuff, I might not if it requires a 980 Ti equivalent every 2 years or something.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
A 980ti every 2 years.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

The Gunslinger posted:

What kind of card do I need to reliably drive 1440p high/ultra details at ~60fps in most games? I'm trying to do decide whether I want to bother with 1440p gsync stuff, I might not if it requires a 980 Ti equivalent every 2 years or something.

A 980 Ti will do it easy, but if you are willing to run at high and turn down AA a 970 will manage pretty well.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

The Gunslinger posted:

A plain 980 satisfies me at 1440, the only settings I never really turn on are AA. I don't find I need/want it at that res. It's not a guarantee of 60 FPS all the time, but with gsync I don't notice or care.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Cinara posted:

That's what I was worried about, really don't want to go down to 1080p. Being able to have someone else's 1080p monitor in only a part of my monitor in a remote session is really nice.

With the general support and popularity of 4k you'll probably be able to get a pretty good Korean 4k monitor long before a 21:9 1440p.

I want to know where the b-stock monitors are using the 5k iMac screens that didn't make the cut at Apple.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gwaihir posted:

A plain 980 satisfies me at 1440, the only settings I never really turn on are AA. I don't find I need/want it at that res. It's not a guarantee of 60 FPS all the time, but with gsync I don't notice or care.

The 980 Ti seems a much better value than the plain 980 these days, though it is indeed strictly more expensive.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Subjunctive posted:

The 980 Ti seems a much better value than the plain 980 these days, though it is indeed strictly more expensive.

To be fair, the 980 was never good value, the 970 overclocked was just plain making GBS threads on it from a great height in terms of price/performance. It did a price cut recently, however. 980 Ti is great, though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HalloKitty posted:

To be fair, the 980 was never good value, the 970 overclocked was just plain making GBS threads on it from a great height in terms of price/performance. It did a price cut recently, however. 980 Ti is great, though.

Yeah, I guess I mean that it's no longer the top-end absolute perf, and its price/perf is worse than both its bigger and smaller siblings. I mean, no reason to throw out one that you have already, but probably not going to be flying off the shelves any more.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Subjunctive posted:

For sure, but I got it before the 980ti came out, and wanted just a little bit more insurance than a 970 provided (And didn't mind the cost.) It was also a bit easier to find them in stock than the good 970s during the initial huge rush.

I'll probably unload it somewhere and get a 980ti anyhow :v:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I have a single 980 ti and my current 1080p monitor is a joke. Is it worth getting 4K for gaming? I don't mind turning a bunch of settings down.

I assume there aren't any IPS+GSync monitors out, either?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Odette posted:

I have a single 980 ti and my current 1080p monitor is a joke. Is it worth getting 4K for gaming? I don't mind turning a bunch of settings down.

Sure are.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Odette posted:

I'd still suggest anyone that thinks about gaming at 4k really see if they can somehow try 21:9 instead of 4k, you might be surprised.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Odette posted:

Get an XB270HU, be happy.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Cinara posted:

The curve is good and the dell curved has been down to 810 on newegg with sales. It may still be.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
I'm building my first gaming rig and need a monitor to accompany it. I'm on the fence on whether or not I want 24" or 27", but I think I value the image clarity of an IPS monitor over the response of a TN panel. From what I've read online it seems like any response rate under 5ms is negligible. I play mostly single player games from all genres, so I don't value the response time as much as somebody who plays competitively.

The only thing I'm on the fence about is, having never experienced it, whether or not I value 120/144hz over 60hz enough to sacrifice IPS for TN. I currently have a 2015 Dell XPS 13 so I think I'm being spoiled by the screen. I know there's not really a question here, but does anybody have any insight on what I should do? The ASUS VG248QE seems like it offers a lot of value and has great reviews but I'm not sure I want to sacrifice the quality of the image.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
what is your budget?

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
I was thinking a max of $500 CAD. To complicate things, now I'm wondering if I should save a bit more and bump up to 1440p. I'm going to be getting a GTX 980 Ti and from what I read it should be sufficient to run most things at close to max settings/60 fps comfortably at 1440p. I'm putting away about 800/mo to save up and I'm already at $1750, so in a few more months I could get something better.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Carbolic Smokeball posted:

I was thinking a max of $500 CAD. To complicate things, now I'm wondering if I should save a bit more and bump up to 1440p. I'm going to be getting a GTX 980 Ti and from what I read it should be sufficient to run most things at close to max settings/60 fps comfortably at 1440p. I'm putting away about 800/mo to save up and I'm already at $1750, so in a few more months I could get something better.

I'd save and get a XB270HU, it's about the best thing you can pair with a 980 Ti.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Get your poo poo together acer:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

CopperHound posted:

Get your poo poo together acer:

If they want to sell premium products they need premium service..

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Premium products would help too.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

HalloKitty posted:

If they want to sell premium products they need premium service..

Yeah, but Acer.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Bad times. My Dell UltraSharp U2312HM, which I bought 2 years ago on the advice of this very thread, is dying. It turned 2 years old on Monday and it suddenly started bleeding red from the right side of the display. I swapped the DVI cable and saw no improvement. Then I swapped monitors and the problem was gone. It looks like a series of very fine lines which wave to the refresh rate.

http://imgur.com/wudnbuM

Am I correct in assuming that this is a hardware problem and I'm SOL? 2 years isn't a very long life for a nice monitor.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Is that a screenshot of your monitor problem? :laugh:

But yes, 2 years is short for a monitor. I've had my LG for 6-7 and it' still great. I think those Dell screens have 3+ years of warranty? Definitely check if you can get it RMA'd.

Also, try plugging it into a different computer. I had the weirdest experience at work the other day, where one monitor had this dark stain looking thing on top left on one pc, but on no other pc. :shrug:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

FistEnergy posted:

Bad times. My Dell UltraSharp U2312HM, which I bought 2 years ago on the advice of this very thread, is dying. It turned 2 years old on Monday and it suddenly started bleeding red from the right side of the display. I swapped the DVI cable and saw no improvement. Then I swapped monitors and the problem was gone. It looks like a series of very fine lines which wave to the refresh rate.

Am I correct in assuming that this is a hardware problem and I'm SOL? 2 years isn't a very long life for a nice monitor.

Three year warranty. get that puppy RMAed and probably replaced with something newer.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Thanks guys. SH/SC has been the best for more than a decade.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

FistEnergy posted:

Thanks guys. SH/SC has been the best for more than a decade.

You're welcome Andrew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

FistEnergy posted:

poo poo happens, but they have 3 year advanced exchange warranties on them. You call Dell and they'll send you a new one straight away, then collect your old one. No worries.

The warranty is a decent part of the reason the Dell Ultrasharps get recommended in the first place.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jul 29, 2015