Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
This thread is really good but the OP is really out of date. It recommends a number of 2010 models for example. I was thinking about pulling the trigger on a XL2730Z 27" monitor to combine the powers of 1440p and 144hz. Looks like this model is about a year old? Any reason I should look at an alternative? I'm suspcious of why the Asus version of this monitor is an extra 200 dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Well, it's a 27" TN, which means not only will colors suck, but you're likely to get color shift at the periphery unless you're sitting way way back, which isn't so hot. It's a FreeSync monitor, so unless you are/plan on going AMD, you won't be able to use any of the frame-rate compensation coolness. Not sure which ASUS monitor you're referring to, but if said monitor has GSync instead of FreeSync...the $200 difference is because NVidia is a bunch of greedy bastards.

Not sure what your budget is, but since you're already in the $550+ range, you might consider a XB270HU, which while more pricy at ~$750, gets you IPS out of the deal. Though I suppose you lose out on some of the gimmicks of the BenQ, like the headphone hook.

e; also, to not miss out on pointing out the obvious, unless you're pairing that monitor with either about $1000 of GPUs or are only going to be playing games released prior to 2012 or at medium-to-low settings, you're not gonna get anywhere near 144FPS, in which case you really owe it to yourself to ensure you're getting the correct AMD-FreeSync / NVidia-GSync pairing correct. And/or consider some of the upcoming 1440p monitors with max refreshes around 100Hz for (hopefully) ~$600.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 30, 2015

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
So I finally got my ASUS MG279Q back today. Or, rather ASUS didn't repair my old one but sent me an entirely new one. Wondering if warranty still holds.

Well, I have duplicate cables and stand so yay? Is this stand likely to be compatible with other monitors?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DrDork posted:

Well, it's a 27" TN, which means not only will colors suck, but you're likely to get color shift at the periphery unless you're sitting way way back, which isn't so hot. It's a FreeSync monitor, so unless you are/plan on going AMD, you won't be able to use any of the frame-rate compensation coolness. Not sure which ASUS monitor you're referring to, but if said monitor has GSync instead of FreeSync...the $200 difference is because NVidia is a bunch of greedy bastards.

Not sure what your budget is, but since you're already in the $550+ range, you might consider a XB270HU, which while more pricy at ~$750, gets you IPS out of the deal. Though I suppose you lose out on some of the gimmicks of the BenQ, like the headphone hook.

e; also, to not miss out on pointing out the obvious, unless you're pairing that monitor with either about $1000 of GPUs or are only going to be playing games released prior to 2012 or at medium-to-low settings, you're not gonna get anywhere near 144FPS, in which case you really owe it to yourself to ensure you're getting the correct AMD-FreeSync / NVidia-GSync pairing correct. And/or consider some of the upcoming 1440p monitors with max refreshes around 100Hz for (hopefully) ~$600.

Thanks for the reply! I already have a 24" Dell IPS monitor that I'm going to be running alongside whatever else I get. My hardware is an R9 270x paired with an i5 3750k. I play CS:GO mostly, currently at max settings, 1920 x 1200 and something like 200fps.

You mentioned some upcoming 1440p monitors; that sounds cool. I'm not sold on needing 144hz, but I can see the flicker on the monitor I want to replace out of my peripheral vision when its dark in my room. Its a lovely monitor and I think it runs below 60hz or something. 100hz would be plenty I bet.

My budget tops out around 600 dollars right now. I could be convinced to wait and have a larger budget. One thing about IPS is that they have larger imput lag; idk how much placebo is involved in going from 4ms to 1ms though.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

One thing about IPS is that they have larger imput lag; idk how much placebo is involved in going from 4ms to 1ms though.
First, response times are effectively irrelevant; input lag is a function of both the screen response time (1ms! supah fazt!) + processing lag (which is never, ever, ever noted anywhere). It's very possible to have a "1ms" screen with 20ms of processing time, which would then perform worse than a "4ms" screen with only 10ms of processing time. But since the processing time is never on the box...good luck--TFTCentral is one of the few review sites that actually tests for it, so they're a primary source on figuring out what the actual input lag ends up being.

tl;dr a 144Hz IPS will probably have input lag similar to that of a 144Hz TN, no matter what "response times" are cited.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DrDork posted:

First, response times are effectively irrelevant; input lag is a function of both the screen response time (1ms! supah fazt!) + processing lag (which is never, ever, ever noted anywhere). It's very possible to have a "1ms" screen with 20ms of processing time, which would then perform worse than a "4ms" screen with only 10ms of processing time. But since the processing time is never on the box...good luck--TFTCentral is one of the few review sites that actually tests for it, so they're a primary source on figuring out what the actual input lag ends up being.

tl;dr a 144Hz IPS will probably have input lag similar to that of a 144Hz TN, no matter what "response times" are cited.

Cool, thats good to know. Thanks again; do you have any other suggetions for freesync IPS 1440p high refresh rate monitors?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Salt Fish posted:

Cool, thats good to know. Thanks again; do you have any other suggestions for freesync IPS 1440p high refresh rate monitors?

ASUS MG279Q?

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

I have a fairly old system that was running a Samsung SyncMaster 204BW off of a Radeon 5700 graphics card at 1680 x 1050..

The monitor is dying, only showing red. I'm pretty sure it's shot. I had some warning of course but I thought I'd have more time before it gave out for real today.

I'm planning on building an entirely new mid-price gaming rig sometime this year, but I'm not quite ready to do that yet. I have a lot of research and budgeting left to do. Is there a reasonable monitor I could buy that would both work with my old system, but not require immediate replacement when I have my new one together?

Other possibilities:

A) Buy a cheap monitor and just keep it with the old system

B) Use the old system with a tiny CRT until I build my new rig.

Haven't bought a monitor since 2007, so I'm a little bewildered by all the new stuff that's out.

Honestly, I didn't even know about the IPS/TN difference before i dove into this thread.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I really feel like we need an new OP that covers the Korean IPSs in detail because I see so many posts come through here where people should at least know about those before jumping right to the Dells and $800 Acers of the world. That, and the number of posters that start their search with the OP and its 3 year old choices.

It's worse then even the GPU thread.

I'd make one, but I don't have nearly as much reference knowledge as some of you on the other options, but I'd be willing to do an effort post on the Qnix if requested.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 30, 2015

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Mazz posted:

I really feel like we need an new OP that covers the Korean IPSs in detail because I see so many posts come through here where people should at least know about those before jumping right to the Dells and $800 Acers of the world. That, and the number of posters that start their search with the OP and its 3 year old choices.

It's worse then even the GPU thread.

I'd make one, but I don't have nearly as much reference knowledge as some of you on the other options, but I'd be willing to do an effort post on the Qnix if requested.

Its at least offset by people being really helpful and quickly answering questions.

FaustianQ posted:

ASUS MG279Q?

Yeah, this looks about right. I'm thinking I'll grab one off amazon in fact.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Is the OP still up to date for calibration information?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
The OP is not up to date with any information.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

dkj posted:

Is the OP still up to date for calibration information?

Pretty much. There's a Spyder 4 now, but that doesn't change much: if you want correct color, you still should calibrate. If you want accurate color between two monitors, a hardware calibrator is helpful; if you're doing any color-sensitive work (web, print, etc), hardware calibration is basically mandatory. Otherwise you can get away with some of the online calibration resources and get things reasonably close to accurate. Wide-gamut is still a giant pain in the dick for web-work, but is quite helpful for the right print-work applications.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Cool, thats good to know. Thanks again; do you have any other suggetions for freesync IPS 1440p high refresh rate monitors?

Bam: ASUS MG279Q

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

You purchased this item on July 29, 2015.
View this order

:)

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

DrDork posted:

Pretty much. There's a Spyder 4 now, but that doesn't change much: if you want correct color, you still should calibrate. If you want accurate color between two monitors, a hardware calibrator is helpful; if you're doing any color-sensitive work (web, print, etc), hardware calibration is basically mandatory. Otherwise you can get away with some of the online calibration resources and get things reasonably close to accurate. Wide-gamut is still a giant pain in the dick for web-work, but is quite helpful for the right print-work applications.

I have an U2715H which may be wide-gamut, not really sure. I'm looking for basic calibration, I don't do anything color-sensitive and I only have one monitor.

The Sypder 4 a good option?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

dkj posted:

I have an U2715H which may be wide-gamut, not really sure. I'm looking for basic calibration, I don't do anything color-sensitive and I only have one monitor.

The Sypder 4 a good option?

The U2715H is standard gamut, and according to TFTCentral, is pretty damned good out of the box with a dE average of 2.2 if you switch it to "custom color" mode. Keep in mind that a dE of <2 is unlikely to be noticeable by the naked eye unless you are very sensitive/trained/looking for it. Basically I'm trying to tell you that you're unlikely to notice much of a difference from your $100+ foray into calibration, unless you're trying to match it to a high-end printer or are planning on getting a second monitor or somesuch.

That said, if you really want to calibrate it, the Spyder3/4/5 all work just fine, as does pretty much everything from X-Rite (ColorMunki, i1, etc). Most of the differences within the lineups are software-based, so think about what exactly you want out of it, then get the cheapest one that supports those features.

Salt Fish posted:

You purchased this item on July 29, 2015.
View this order

:)

I'd love a trip report: right now it looks like hands-down the monitor to get if you're on a AMD card, and pretty tempting even if you're on the green team.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

DrDork posted:

I'd love a trip report: right now it looks like hands-down the monitor to get if you're on a AMD card, and pretty tempting even if you're on the green team.

4.5ms response time which is basically as good as it gets for displays, really good colors, easy to use menu, bright but not overwhelming, DP on it doesn't misbehave, excellent and easy to use stand (although a bit heavy), doesn't hurt eyes, almost no ghosting, very good Freesync range. I moved from a 20" TN panel so maybe not the most objective review, but I honestly don't think I'll be getting a new monitor unless there is some drastic change in display tech because wow, 27" is fantastic and 1440p IPS is great.

I really can't fault it beyond that the first panel I received had screen issues, but ASUS was polite enough to send me an entirely new MG279Q with all accessories and paid for the shipping so can't honestly complain about customer service either :v:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

FaustianQ posted:

I really can't fault it beyond that the first panel I received had screen issues, but ASUS was polite enough to send me an entirely new MG279Q with all accessories and paid for the shipping so can't honestly complain about customer service either :v:

Yeah, that it's by ASUS and not Acer is a big plus for me. Now if only it were GSync to match that 980Ti that's on my list...

Glad to hear the good things, though, as I expect this thread will be recommending it to a lot of people shortly.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

DrDork posted:

The U2715H is standard gamut, and according to TFTCentral, is pretty damned good out of the box with a dE average of 2.2 if you switch it to "custom color" mode. Keep in mind that a dE of <2 is unlikely to be noticeable by the naked eye unless you are very sensitive/trained/looking for it. Basically I'm trying to tell you that you're unlikely to notice much of a difference from your $100+ foray into calibration, unless you're trying to match it to a high-end printer or are planning on getting a second monitor or somesuch.

That said, if you really want to calibrate it, the Spyder3/4/5 all work just fine, as does pretty much everything from X-Rite (ColorMunki, i1, etc). Most of the differences within the lineups are software-based, so think about what exactly you want out of it, then get the cheapest one that supports those features.

Well poo poo sounds like I'm good then. Thanks.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Hi,

I'm using a Dell U2515H at 1440p and some applications/windows stuff look like absolute dirge. Specifically blurry text.

EG:

Additionally, websites/fonts look a little centered/compact.

I'm not really sure what is the method to fix this. I have a horrible suspicion it's going to be quite a fragmented solution.

Can anyone offer some tips?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

WastedJoker posted:

That almost looks like your video card is detecting it as an HDTV or something and is trying to do some sort of blurring or overscan. Check the settings in the Catalyst/NVidia control panel to ensure it's being seen correctly as a digital monitor.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I dunno. It looks like it is detecting it ok.

Browser text looks sharp enough as do most of the OS fonts/text. It's just an issue around administrative tools and install/setup windows where it goes wonky.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

WastedJoker posted:

I dunno. It looks like it is detecting it ok.

Browser text looks sharp enough as do most of the OS fonts/text. It's just an issue around administrative tools and install/setup windows where it goes wonky.

You could try a displayport connection to rule out the HDTV possibility. I assume you already configured cleartype and such yes?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

DrDork posted:

That almost looks like your video card is detecting it as an HDTV or something and is trying to do some sort of blurring or overscan. Check the settings in the Catalyst/NVidia control panel to ensure it's being seen correctly as a digital monitor.

That looks like Windows' DPI scaling being derpy. If an app doesn't declare itself as compatible Windows just literally blows up the contents. (Mac OS X did the same, but properly scaled most standard system widgets so only custom widgets and bitmap images ended up fuzzy).

You can set a compatibility option in the shortcut (or a few other ways that are harder) to disable scaling for specific programs or you can just set it to 100% system-wide in the display control panel.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

WastedJoker posted:

Hi,

I'm using a Dell U2515H at 1440p and some applications/windows stuff look like absolute dirge. Specifically blurry text.

EG:

I'm not really sure what is the method to fix this. I have a horrible suspicion it's going to be quite a fragmented solution.

Do you have ClearType enabled? Have you tried playing around the ClearType settings?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You could try a displayport connection to rule out the HDTV possibility. I assume you already configured cleartype and such yes?

Affirmative!

wolrah posted:

That looks like Windows' DPI scaling being derpy. If an app doesn't declare itself as compatible Windows just literally blows up the contents. (Mac OS X did the same, but properly scaled most standard system widgets so only custom widgets and bitmap images ended up fuzzy).

You can set a compatibility option in the shortcut (or a few other ways that are harder) to disable scaling for specific programs or you can just set it to 100% system-wide in the display control panel.

I'll give this a go. Cheers.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

WastedJoker posted:

Hi,

EG:

You have DPI scaling enabled, right? Guess what? Not even the Windows shell supports it completely. And it hasn't changed in Windows 10. For the Nth version in a row, Microsoft has barely done anything to the MMC and it will look terrible because it's stuck in 2001.

For more laughs, try this:

Two variations of the same interface. Only one one displays properly.

According to your description, web browsers are behaving as they should. They're applying 125% zoom, which may cause some responsive design CSS rules to kick in since it thinks your browser viewport is 80% of its actual size.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 31, 2015

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So what's the better 27" IPS 144Hz screen? Acer or ASUS?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I had a chance to hook up the MG279Q this morning before work. Only had about 10 minutes to play with it but I can confirm that the r9 270x runs cs:go at ~200fps on max settings at 1440p. Definitely can tell the difference just moving the mouse cursor on first the 60hz and then on the 144hz. I'm looking forward to playing with it some more after I get home tonight.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy

theblackw0lf posted:

Depends if you need gsync or not. Otherwise they're basically the same.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I would say that ASUS is the better company, and that if you need Gsync I might wait until ASUS releases such a monitor. The Acer monitor quality level is an aberration TBH.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

theblackw0lf posted:

Unless you really need GSync, the ASUS is cheaper and from a company with a much better reputation. You do the math.

If you really need GSync, the Acer probably won't rape your dog, but their QC department might come grope your sister a little. As FaustianQ mentions, might be worth waiting until the GSync-equivelant MG279Q comes out (which probably won't be long, really).

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Zorilla posted:

You have DPI scaling enabled, right? Guess what? Not even the Windows shell supports it completely. And it hasn't changed in Windows 10. For the Nth version in a row, Microsoft has barely done anything to the MMC and it will look terrible because it's stuck in 2001.

For more laughs, try this:

Two variations of the same interface. Only one one displays properly.

According to your description, web browsers are behaving as they should. They're applying 125% zoom, which may cause some responsive design CSS rules to kick in since it thinks your browser viewport is 80% of its actual size.

Cheers for this.

I guess what you're saying is: Deal with it?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

WastedJoker posted:

Cheers for this.

I guess what you're saying is: Deal with it?

Set your scaling to 100% and you won't have the problem

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

What are the chances a 24" 1080p 144Hz IPS will ever appear on the market?

I really want a 144Hz monitor, but I don't want to go to 2560x1440 or back to TN after having used an IPS as my main monitor for the past year. Has TN improved at all or do they still look like garbage next to an IPS?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

What are the chances a 24" 1080p 144Hz IPS will ever appear on the market?
Ever's a long time, man. There aren't any on the near horizon, though, probably because it's easier to sell a $600+ monitor when you can boast 1440p or some other substantially-higher-than-1080p resolution. That said, there does exist the EIZO FG2421, which at 23.5" 1080p and 120Hz is probably as close as you're going to get. It's VA, rather than IPS, so its black levels are pretty great. It's also $600, though, putting it at the same price point of those 144Hz 1440p IPS w/FreeSync monitors like the MG279Q.

Kazinsal posted:

I really want a 144Hz monitor, but I don't want to go to 2560x1440 or back to TN after having used an IPS as my main monitor for the past year. Has TN improved at all or do they still look like garbage next to an IPS?
lovely colors and view angles are an inherent property of TN technology, and is the biggest reason we're seeing a lot more activity in the IPS realm right now.

Also, 1440p is pretty awesome, not sure why you'd want to avoid it. If it's because you don't want to upgrade your video card...well, you're already sunk on that boat, since even 1080p@144 is about a 3x increase in GPU requirement over 1080p@60, so you're gonna need a new GPU anyhow; an extra $100 in the GPU department ain't too bad when you're already talking $1100+ in hardware, and you probably won't ever notice the difference between 120 vs 144Hz, but you certainly will the difference between 1080 and 1440. Just sayin'.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 1, 2015

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Is there any news on when Asus will release a gsync 1440p IPS monitor?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

Is there any news on when Asus will release a gsync 1440p IPS monitor?

The PG279Q has been "coming soom" for months and months now with no new info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

WastedJoker posted:

Hi,

EG:

This image is pretty huge, so my guessing is you have DPI scaling set larger than 100%. Change it to 100%. Problem solved.