Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

cat doter posted:

Not ludicrously expensive, I hope.

Early estimates put the Acer one at the same price as it's 1440p 144Hz brother, I'm guessing the Asus will be similar.

Also, 75Hz!

E: Better source with more conclusive statement on price ($800)

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

BurritoJustice posted:

Early estimates put the Acer one at the same price as it's 1440p 144Hz brother, I'm guessing the Asus will be similar.

Also, 75Hz!

E: Better source with more conclusive statement on price ($800)

$800 sorta prices me out, which is a bummer. I really hope we start seeing more significant price drops on higher resolution monitors soon because anything with a significant upgrade over my current monitor is really goddamn expensive.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Hambilderberglar posted:

So SLI will become mandatory only if/when I plan on gaming across both screens. Which I'm not sure I ever will. At least I have a better idea of what to expect. Thanks for all the help and I guess I will be sitting on my hands until the new crop of monitors lands

Just to be clear, you can game on both screens at the same time without SLI, so long as the video card can keep up with the framerate.

I have 3 monitors connected to a single 780ti and can use all three at once for gaming or desktop use.

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 5, 2015

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Can a GTX 970 handle two Dell P2715Qs daisy chained on Windows 10?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Monday_ posted:

Can a GTX 970 handle two Dell P2715Qs daisy chained on Windows 10?

You can technically do this but it will drop the refresh rate of the monitors to 30Hz.

This doesn't have anything to do with the video card; it's because DisplayPort 1.2 doesn't have enough bandwidth to push dual 4k@60Hz (effectively 4k@120Hz).

DisplayPort 1.3 will allow this but nothing has that yet.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Krailor posted:

You can technically do this but it will drop the refresh rate of the monitors to 30Hz.

This doesn't have anything to do with the video card; it's because DisplayPort 1.2 doesn't have enough bandwidth to push dual 4k@60Hz (effectively 4k@120Hz).

DisplayPort 1.3 will allow this but nothing has that yet.

What if I were to connect them via separate ports? I'd have to get a new video card though...

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Monday_ posted:

What if I were to connect them via separate ports? I'd have to get a new video card though...

Doesn't that monitor have an HDMI port? You can get a DVI->HDMI adapter for cheap if your card doesn't have two DP ports.

Edit: Nevermind, that monitor is 4k so DVI won't cut it!

Hikaki fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 5, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BurritoJustice posted:

Also, 75Hz!

How are they doing 4K@75Hz? What's the connector tech?

Or is it just 4K@60 but if you set it in a lower resolution it can run at 75Hz?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

How are they doing 4K@75Hz? What's the connector tech?

Or is it just 4K@60 but if you set it in a lower resolution it can run at 75Hz?

Displayport 1.2 has enough bandwidth for 4K@75Hz, it just isn't an officially listed/supported combo. It is pushing right up against the limit.

Think of it as similar to the GSync 165Hz 1440p screen that is technically above spec.

Someone can probably do the maths for me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BurritoJustice posted:

Displayport 1.2 has enough bandwidth for 4K@75Hz, it just isn't an officially listed/supported combo. It is pushing right up against the limit.

Think of it as similar to the GSync 165Hz 1440p screen that is technically above spec.

Someone can probably do the maths for me.

Ah, OK. HDR2 is 17.28 gpbs, so assuming 24bpp it can run UHD at 86Hz. Good, good.

(E: that math doesn't match what I find at http://www.kramerelectronics.com/support/bwcalculator.asp so now IDK.)

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 5, 2015

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

Ah, OK. HDR2 is 17.28 gpbs, so assuming 24bpp it can run UHD at 86Hz. Good, good.

Is there a good glance able reference somewhere for this sort of stuff? hdmi 1.4 vs 2.0 vs displayport xyz and which generations of cards support which?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Is there a good glance able reference somewhere for this sort of stuff? hdmi 1.4 vs 2.0 vs displayport xyz and which generations of cards support which?

I put this together a while back with the maximum refresh rates supported by various interfaces at common and likely future resolutions: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LIwUwnSGl3wjlVNYBsHnNi1YeiPWagLOENYhv38dlIQ/pubhtml?gid=1989960781&single=true

Regarding interface availability, if it doesn't have HDMI 1.3 it's probably due for replacement. nVidia's had it since the GeForce 400 series, AMD since the HD5000 series, and Intel since the early Core 2 era. DisplayPort 1.2 takes us a generation beyond that to the GeForce 600 series and Radeon HD6000 line. HDMI 2.0 is currently exclusive to nVidia's 900 series.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ambaire posted:

I just realized what I like most about the Dell U2415 and U2715H monitors I bought for my new system is that they don't have any goddamn logo or energy saver startup screens. They just go straight to your desktop or whatever. My old Asus and Acer monitors had two of them that took at least 6 seconds to cycle through. So annoying.

How are the XB270HU and the like in that regard?

Delayed response to this, but I have the XB270hu next to a Dell 3014. The Acer shows an Acer/Gsync logo when you turn it on, the dell shows nothing.

If you turn them on at the same time, they both end up showing an image at the same time though.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
I went ahead and got the AOC G2460PG (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160226&) for $350, which is the only gsync monitor sub $700. It's also 24 inches, but I didn't really notice the drop from a 28' much. at 24' the viewing ranges are still thin enough to not really notice the TN light changes

Definitely worth it to me, though the color on the TN panel is noticeable (not bad for a TN however), and ultra low motion blur mode makes the blacks and whites much, much worse. Space is pretty much dark grey in elite dangerous. I wouldn't want to play soma or amnesia with that mode on either.

If a $700+ is above your price range and you don't mind a TN panel yet still want gsync, this is a good (and the only) option.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Okay, now I'm thinking about replacing my secondary 1080p IPS with a 144Hz/3D 1080p, particularly the Asus VG248QE. My video card is a GTX 970 with available DVI-I dual link, DVI-D dual link, and HDMI ports. The PC is running Win 10 Home. I'm particularly interested in 3D gaming/Blu-Ray. Will it play nice in 3D mode with another monitor connected? Do I just need the 3D Vision 2 glasses and the blu-ray software?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Monday_ posted:

Okay, now I'm thinking about replacing my secondary 1080p IPS with a 144Hz/3D 1080p, particularly the Asus VG248QE. My video card is a GTX 970 with available DVI-I dual link, DVI-D dual link, and HDMI ports. The PC is running Win 10 Home. I'm particularly interested in 3D gaming/Blu-Ray. Will it play nice in 3D mode with another monitor connected? Do I just need the 3D Vision 2 glasses and the blu-ray software?

If you're wanting 3D you're probably better off waiting for a VR headset.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

SwissCM posted:

If you're wanting 3D you're probably better off waiting for a VR headset.

Issue with that is that I'm prone to motion sickness. Google Cardboard doesn't bother me but I'm a bit wary of the real thing.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Monday_ posted:

Issue with that is that I'm prone to motion sickness. Google Cardboard doesn't bother me but I'm a bit wary of the real thing.

If google cardboard doesn't bother you than Rift/Vive will most likely not either. Both use very low latency positional tracking which google cardboard lacks, people usually get sick when you physically move your head but your vision doesn't (google cardboard doesn't have positional tracking). If anything, using a 3D monitor will make you nauseous as they typically have pretty low refresh rate per eye and do all sorts of terrible things with active shutters.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Fatal posted:

If google cardboard doesn't bother you than Rift/Vive will most likely not either. Both use very low latency positional tracking which google cardboard lacks, people usually get sick when you physically move your head but your vision doesn't (google cardboard doesn't have positional tracking). If anything, using a 3D monitor will make you nauseous as they typically have pretty low refresh rate per eye and do all sorts of terrible things with active shutters.

That's good to know. Any idea if the Rift will support 3D blu-rays?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Monday_ posted:

That's good to know. Any idea if the Rift will support 3D blu-rays?

For the moment you have to rip them to an MKV file, though at some point that may change. Besides, while a VR headset gives the best possible experience when viewing old 3D movie content, the real future is in optic sensors that can capture the 3D telemetry of a scene. This allows for more than just stereoscopy, with parallax and even a degree of free moment within a recorded scene.

At the moment it's still up in the air what the best headset will be. It's down to two, HTC Vive and the Oculus Rift. They're both very technologically advanced and for viewing traditional 2D/3D movie content they'll both do a great job. The HTC Vive comes with 1:1 tracked controllers and you can wear the headset at room-scale so you can walk around your room and those movements are perfectly tracked to the VR environment. The Oculus Rift apparently can't track quite as big of a space (think a little bigger than 2 yoga mats pushed side to side) and only comes with a standard Xbone controller for input, though they're coming out with rather impressive motion controllers sometime next year.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 7, 2015

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Looks like AMD is essentially giving away Freesync now, there are now a bunch of 60hz TN panel Freesync monitors.

http://techreport.com/news/29158/aoc-gaming-oriented-freesync-displays-start-at-269

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
That was always the FreeSync plan: give it away for free to try to draw people to AMD cards. It hasn't worked too well at the high-end so far, simply because the 980Ti is so dominant, but it absolutely could work in the mid levels where people are a lot more sensitive to the $150 GSync tax.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

DrDork posted:

That was always the FreeSync plan: give it away for free to try to draw people to AMD cards. It hasn't worked too well at the high-end so far, simply because the 980Ti is so dominant, but it absolutely could work in the mid levels where people are a lot more sensitive to the $150 GSync tax.

Yeah, plus Freesync is a low enough premium in a lot of monitors that there isn't much reason not to get it when given a choice, so getting one without to avoid vendor lock in is less compelling, but it's still AMD only.

Sure it isn't stretching the bounds of performance yet, but there's a lot of decent screens with it, rather than low quality gaming screens and the two best.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
What is the hiveminds' opinion on these three? I was set on buying an Ultrasharp, but I have trouble with eye strain and migraines and the 60 Hz refresh rate is kind of off putting. I had the U2414H, but the panel was defective. The Ultrasharp I've had my eye on is the U2412M.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160177

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014370

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don't think the refresh rate matters so much as how the backlight works - on the U2412M it uses PWM which some people are sensitive to

As for the ones you linked it's hard to say - you'd need to read some reviews.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

reagan posted:

What is the hiveminds' opinion on these three? I was set on buying an Ultrasharp, but I have trouble with eye strain and migraines and the 60 Hz refresh rate is kind of off putting. I had the U2414H, but the panel was defective. The Ultrasharp I've had my eye on is the U2412M.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160177

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014370

If you have trouble with eye strain and headaches you should make sure the monitor is flicker free, the flickering of PWM backlighting can cause the sorts of problems you describe, refresh rate should have nothing to do with the eye strain and headaches since the image itself is steady, I'd also concentrate on text & image quality for help with the eyestrain. I would look at the U2415 instead of the U2412M, the U2415 is the newer version of the U2412M, has really good text and image quality and is flicker free, I have one and I really like it.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Looks like Acer's 34", curved ultrawide offering with Gsync (Predator X34BMiphz), is a bust, at least in the first revision.

http://i.imgur.com/YvxYdjA.png

Very audible whine at higher brightness levels, bad color depiction for blue hues and backlight bleeding galore are complaints across the board.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

mcbexx posted:

Looks like Acer's 34", curved ultrawide offering with Gsync (Predator X34BMiphz), is a bust, at least in the first revision.

Very audible whine at higher brightness levels, bad color depiction for blue hues and backlight bleeding galore are complaints across the board.

Help us Asus, you're our only hope.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Anybody seen any new 40" 4K monitors/HDTVs-that-can-be-monitors recently?

I haven't checked in a while but everything I'd pinned my hopes on previously ended up being a dud :(

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

mcbexx posted:

If it is any consolation, the issue with blue hues has been fixed in the latest revision.

The other stuff is just QC issues that seem to plague every gaming monitor release these days. One from a good batch should be great, as the TFTCentral review shows.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

BurritoJustice posted:

The other stuff is just QC issues that seem to plague every gaming monitor release these days. One from a good batch should be great, as the TFTCentral review shows.

If only there was some way to get a hand picked flawless monitor without being a reviewer.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

CopperHound posted:

If only there was some way to get a hand picked flawless monitor without being a reviewer.

Like Acer actually testing their monitors before they package them and having QC minimums. Or do they already? I can't tell.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Newegg is having the U2415 on sale for $240 again with the code EMCKAAX38.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

CopperHound posted:

I was more referring to the things not related to quality control, such as response times and colour performance. The things that don't change between units are good.

I'm not saying bad QC is excusable or not a pain in the arse.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

BurritoJustice posted:

I was more referring to the things not related to quality control, such as response times and colour performance. The things that don't change between units are good.

I'm not saying bad QC is excusable or not a pain in the arse.

It was as much of a stab at reviewers who use product samples instead of something off the shelf as the products themselves.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

CopperHound posted:

It was as much of a stab at reviewers who use product samples instead of something off the shelf as the products themselves.

If you don't use review samples your review will not be available until weeks if not months after the product's release. Reviewers also just don't have the sort of budget necessary to buy all the products they review.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

If you don't use review samples your review will not be available until weeks if not months after the product's release. Reviewers also just don't have the sort of budget necessary to buy all the products they review.

Yeah, this is the crux of the matter. And I've been on both sides, and it sucks.

What I'd like to see is people updating reviews down the line. 99% of the time it's put up and never touched again. It'd be nice to see (especially on items that score well) an update if like the Amazon page gets a million 1-stars for the same problem cropping up.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Reviews are a pretty hard problem and what people want out of a 1 dimensional metric is incredibly varying. I've spent enough time trying to work on the problem in general going far enough to start a company to tackle the various aspects of the problem across different use cases for various demographics looking for different value out of reviews. Also, most big data analytics kind of stuff tends to require a lot more than the maybe 200 reviews that people write, so there's a serious lack of data per item when it comes to reviews.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

necrobobsledder posted:

Reviews are a pretty hard problem and what people want out of a 1 dimensional metric is incredibly varying. I've spent enough time trying to work on the problem in general going far enough to start a company to tackle the various aspects of the problem across different use cases for various demographics looking for different value out of reviews. Also, most big data analytics kind of stuff tends to require a lot more than the maybe 200 reviews that people write, so there's a serious lack of data per item when it comes to reviews.

Sure, but I'm not talking about solving user "reviews" in a grand sense. More that if you have a site like The Verge that reviews a product well, and problems pop up down the road, their article is pretty unlikely to be updated to talk about it despite the fact that page is an authority on the subject for google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiscal Conservative
Feb 26, 2006
Is there any recommended dual monitor wall mounts? Or a single wall mount with height adjustment. I have a Acer Xb270hu and a qnix evo II, their vesa mounts are at different heights.