Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

When I use in-game console tools to set my max FPS down to 100hz from 144hz I can barely tell the difference. This is in CSGO. I notice it barely but if I had the option of saving 200 bucks or something but being limited to 100hz I would have saved the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

DrDork posted:

If you're not in like the global elite of CS:GO players, chances are you won't really need 144Hz. In which case, may I recommend the Crossover 2795? 27" 1440p IPS and easily overclockable to ~100Hz for $300? Yeah, it's not 144Hz, but it's also not $600 and plagued with hideous QA issues.

Agreed.

Also, MF_James, try setting your current display to 100Hz to see how it is, you can do this via a custom resolution on a Nvidia card, I don't know how you do it for an AMD card but it should be possible. That way you can see how much difference the extra 44Hz makes, I've heard from many people that it does not make that much difference, it's the first 40Hz jump to 100Hz that makes most of the difference.

zarg
Mar 19, 2005

We are the Unity 3D community. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
Can anyone offer any thoughts on the 144hz 1440p IPS market at the moment?

I see three real options there: The $1100 PG279Q, the $950 XB270HU, and the$750 MG279Q.

But... can anyone share their experiences with the above 3 monitors? Specifically, is the panel quality really different between the MG279Q and the PG279Q, or is that cost difference mostly G-Sync markup?

I'd also welcome general thoughts!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

zarg posted:

I see three real options there: The $1100 PG279Q, the $950 XB270HU, and the$750 MG279Q.

But... can anyone share their experiences with the above 3 monitors? Specifically, is the panel quality really different between the MG279Q and the PG279Q, or is that cost difference mostly G-Sync markup?

I've only ever seen the one I bought, the xb270HU and I love it to death. If you can afford to blow a thousand dollars on a monitor you can afford the G-sync models, just save up another couple days.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

zarg posted:

I can't say I have direct experience with all of them, but I am curious as to where you're getting your pricing. The PG279Q is out of stock at most of the normal outlets, but should sell more in the $800-$900 range. The XB270HU is as low as $700 on B&H photo (no tax outside NY and free shipping to boot), and the MG279Q is also more like $550 on NewEgg and presumably elsewhere.

In any event, the PG279Q is supposed to go up to 165Hz via GSync, while the MG279Q tops at 144Hz, so I guess there's that, but yeah, the extra ~$200 is absolutely the GSync/NVidia tax coming to play, because otherwise the monitors are functionally the same in terms of the panel, and the MG actually gets better ancillaries, like more input ports (HDMI, DVI, DP, mini-DP vs HDMI, DP). Albeit the PG gets the ROG color scheme while the MG does not.

The XB270HU should have a similar panel (if not an identical one, since AFAIK there's only one company that even can make them right now), but you're rolling the dice on Acer's QA, which so far has been pretty hit or miss. Maybe the newer XB271HU fixes that, but it's yet to be seen, and that'll also be more expensive. Acer has so far been able to keep the price on these high because they're literally the only option. Prices for them may drop a good chunk once the ASUS PG actually ships, but that itself has yet to be seen.

For my money, if I had an AMD card I'd go with the MG279Q without a second thought. NVidia, I'd wait for the PG279Q to drop and see what happens--I'm inclined to prefer the ASUS just based on better expectations for quality, but if they have manufacturing issues like Acer has, well, that would be something to consider.

e; correction, for my money I'd wait for the PG348Q.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 24, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Australian prices, and the Asus monitors have the exact same QC issues that the Acer monitors have. For the same price it is worth considering the PG279Q, but with the ridiculously markup in Australia it isn't.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Agreed.

Also, MF_James, try setting your current display to 100Hz to see how it is, you can do this via a custom resolution on a Nvidia card, I don't know how you do it for an AMD card but it should be possible. That way you can see how much difference the extra 44Hz makes, I've heard from many people that it does not make that much difference, it's the first 40Hz jump to 100Hz that makes most of the difference.

I do have an AMD card, but my max is 75hz or so says the control center and I'm unable to select a rate higher than that.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

MF_James posted:

I do have an AMD card, but my max is 75hz or so says the control center and I'm unable to select a rate higher than that.

That monitor or perhaps Freesync in general is limited to 75hz. You could shut free sync off and go up to 144hz. It's quite silly and forces you to play a guessing game about where your average FPS is going to fall. G-sync really seems to be the better technology.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

VulgarandStupid posted:

That monitor or perhaps Freesync in general is limited to 75hz. You could shut free sync off and go up to 144hz. It's quite silly and forces you to play a guessing game about where your average FPS is going to fall. G-sync really seems to be the better technology.

Control Center is weird. Apparently (according to control center) I was running 1920x1280 @60hz, but max rate is 75hz for monitor. I swapped it to 75hz and it drops to 1280x1024, if I select 1920 again it goes back to 60hz, but if I leave it at 75hz and go change windows settings to 1920x1280, it stays at 75hz.

I am running DVI-i I think, I forget which DVI it is, is there a limitation with that setup? Do not have display port or HDMI capability for this monitor sadly.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

MF_James posted:

Control Center is weird. Apparently (according to control center) I was running 1920x1280 @60hz, but max rate is 75hz for monitor. I swapped it to 75hz and it drops to 1280x1024, if I select 1920 again it goes back to 60hz, but if I leave it at 75hz and go change windows settings to 1920x1280, it stays at 75hz.

I am running DVI-i I think, I forget which DVI it is, is there a limitation with that setup? Do not have display port or HDMI capability for this monitor sadly.
DVI-I and DVI-D are interchangeable unless you're trying to pull a VGA signal out of it, and have plenty of bandwidth for those resolutions. What monitor are you using? Some claim to support 75Hz at lower than native resolution (but probably don't, in reality).

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Any thoughts on the HP Z30i, particularly compared to the Dell 3014? I'm after a 30 inch 2560x1600 for work and gaming (as touched on earlier I play a lot of strategy and only some of the more action-oriented type of game (including Fallout/Elder Scrolls type games)) so I'm not too concerned about blistering response times (though don't want them to be terrible either)).

I had almost settled on the Dell, but I'm reading at the moment about terrible backlight bleed. Is the HP a better option - are there any other 1600p screens I should consider?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think there's more than 1 2560x1600 panel manufacturer, or has ever been. I'm 99% certain they're all built in the same plant. Choose depending on which one has the features you need.

Also, if you get a bad panel, return it. These things cost way too much to not expect serious quality. FWIW, while I do have some backlight bleed, it's only barely visible in the corners with the entire screen black and room dark. With something not 100% black on the screen it's unnoticeable.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
The PG279Q is getting some really rough reviews on Newegg

Lots of complaints about backlight bleed...

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Truga posted:

I don't think there's more than 1 2560x1600 panel manufacturer, or has ever been. I'm 99% certain they're all built in the same plant. Choose depending on which one has the features you need.

Also, if you get a bad panel, return it. These things cost way too much to not expect serious quality. FWIW, while I do have some backlight bleed, it's only barely visible in the corners with the entire screen black and room dark. With something not 100% black on the screen it's unnoticeable.

I was under the same impression. ASUS and Acer get their panels from the same place, both have QC issues for the same problems. Get it local if possible so you can make same/next day returns.

Yeah, I have an XB270HU and there is very minor bleed in the bottom right and top left corners. It's so minor that I forget I have it unless a game has a total black loading screen. But even in dark areas in games I can't see it when I look for it.
Also it seems to be less than when I got it too, which is odd considering what causes backlight bleeding.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

We gotta stop invading oil countries and find out where they're making these panels.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Well, if you're an ATI user, this is maybe not the worst deal in the world. Just remember, it is TN.

http://slickdeals.net/?pno=169709&lno=1&afsrc=1&mon=1&ref=1&trd=Buy+Now

xorex
Jul 23, 2002
whatever
Does the stand on the Crossover 2795 allow for height adjustment? I can do without rotate and swivel, but generally like to put the height pretty low.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

xorex posted:

Does the stand on the Crossover 2795 allow for height adjustment? I can do without rotate and swivel, but generally like to put the height pretty low.

I don't have mine yet but it just seems like you can only adjust tilt. The stand sucks in general from what I have heard, so I ordered a fully adjustable one off Amazon to try out with it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Any thoughts on the HP Z30i, particularly compared to the Dell 3014? I'm after a 30 inch 2560x1600 for work and gaming (as touched on earlier I play a lot of strategy and only some of the more action-oriented type of game (including Fallout/Elder Scrolls type games)) so I'm not too concerned about blistering response times (though don't want them to be terrible either)).

I had almost settled on the Dell, but I'm reading at the moment about terrible backlight bleed. Is the HP a better option - are there any other 1600p screens I should consider?

I would steer away from the Dell, but not because of backlight bleed (Even though my example does have it quite badly), but because the U3014 has bad pixel overdrive and overshoot issues that you cannot turn off. Other similar vintage Dells let you adjust the overdrive level, but not on the 3014.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

xorex posted:

Nope, there isn't any height adjustment on the stand and there's barely any tilt adjustment. If you don't like the default positioning of the monitor then you really need to get some sort of VESA mount/stand.

xorex
Jul 23, 2002
whatever

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I don't have mine yet but it just seems like you can only adjust tilt. The stand sucks in general from what I have heard, so I ordered a fully adjustable one off Amazon to try out with it.

Cool. Report back when you get everything! If I can swap the stand out, that still might not be a bad deal. I don't need a fancy arm or anything, just something I can move up and down as needed.

Searching on amazon for 10 seconds I found this: http://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Single-M...8380697&sr=1-24

Which one did you order?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

xorex posted:

Cool. Report back when you get everything! If I can swap the stand out, that still might not be a bad deal. I don't need a fancy arm or anything, just something I can move up and down as needed.

Searching on amazon for 10 seconds I found this: http://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Single-M...8380697&sr=1-24

Which one did you order?

That is the one! Although the only negative part (from reviews) is that adjusting it as needed isn't the easiest thing to do. It's more for people that want to adjust it once and leave it alone forever (me).

zarg
Mar 19, 2005

We are the Unity 3D community. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
Thanks everyone for your input re: the PG279Q vs the XB270HU vs the MG279Q

DrDork posted:

I can't say I have direct experience with all of them, but I am curious as to where you're getting your pricing.

My pricing is in CAD, which is why they're a higher - should have said that up front. Our dollar is pretty weak right now!

DrDork posted:

For my money, if I had an AMD card I'd go with the MG279Q without a second thought. NVidia, I'd wait for the PG279Q to drop and see what happens--I'm inclined to prefer the ASUS just based on better expectations for quality, but if they have manufacturing issues like Acer has, well, that would be something to consider.

Hah, yeah that's the real rub. I'm AMD right now, (7970) but I'm tentatively planning to switch to NVidia when their new GPUs launch in Q1 2016.

Unfortunately the best time to buy a monitor is probably black Friday or Boxing Day, meaning I'll very likely have to choose my monitor before I get enough details about the new GPUs to be sure if I'm switching! :(

I'll probably end up assuming I'll switch and going with a g-sync model... probably.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

xorex posted:

Which one did you order?

IIRC you can remove the stand but you also have to remove the bezel to do so.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

IIRC you can remove the stand but you also have to remove the bezel to do so.

Yes, which doesn't seem difficult at all and the instructions are here: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/dgm_ips-2701wph.htm#stand

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 24, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Looks like the new AMD drivers are adding support for frame doubling in Freesync when you fall below the minimum as long as the maximum frame rate is 2.5 times or more than the minimum. That's good to see, are there any other ways freesync falls behind other than specs on currently available screens?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

zarg posted:

Thanks everyone for your input re: the PG279Q vs the XB270HU vs the MG279Q

My pricing is in CAD, which is why they're a higher - should have said that up front. Our dollar is pretty weak right now!

Hah, yeah that's the real rub. I'm AMD right now, (7970) but I'm tentatively planning to switch to NVidia when their new GPUs launch in Q1 2016.

Unfortunately the best time to buy a monitor is probably black Friday or Boxing Day, meaning I'll very likely have to choose my monitor before I get enough details about the new GPUs to be sure if I'm switching! :(

I'll probably end up assuming I'll switch and going with a g-sync model... probably.

If you're in Vancouver and want a hands-on look at the XB270HU before dropping a thousand dollars shoot me a PM. I bought it blind and was kinda nervous about it since you can't really go and see these on display anywhere.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
Is Asus pretty good about returns? The PG279Q is back in stock and I was hoping to pick up a pair. I'm not sure how bad the odds are with the panel lottery though but I have to believe I'm only hearing the bad reviews.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

zarg posted:

FWIW I don't think NVidia is expecting to drop Pascal until more like Q3 or Q4 2016. They're crushing AMD right now and have no real need to rush Pascal to market.

Nodelphi posted:

Is Asus pretty good about returns? The PG279Q is back in stock and I was hoping to pick up a pair. I'm not sure how bad the odds are with the panel lottery though but I have to believe I'm only hearing the bad reviews.
ASUS is not known for their friendly RMA process. That said, during the first 30 days you're probably looking at a return to the retailer, vice ASUS itself. Hopefully you bought it from somewhere with a good return policy (like Amazon).

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Yes, which doesn't seem difficult at all and the instructions are here: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/dgm_ips-2701wph.htm#stand

Okay just wondering for everyone who has the crossover 2795qhd this is going to sound like a weird question, but because I was a little paranoid when I first got the monitor I just want to confirm,

Is this the box for the 2795 that everyone else has been talking about? I ask because the monitor that came in it doesn't have the "Crossfire" logo that the promotional images show, this is what I see:

and the control buttons are on the right side instead of the left. All the labels do say that it's a Crossfire 2795QHD, but it's weird how the monitor itself has a different bezel.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

pandaK posted:

Okay just wondering for everyone who has the crossover 2795qhd this is going to sound like a weird question, but because I was a little paranoid when I first got the monitor I just want to confirm,

Is this the box for the 2795 that everyone else has been talking about? I ask because the monitor that came in it doesn't have the "Crossfire" logo that the promotional images show, this is what I see:

and the control buttons are on the right side instead of the left. All the labels do say that it's a Crossfire 2795QHD, but it's weird how the monitor itself has a different bezel.

Yup, that's what it looks like. They started using a little winky face logo on the bezel.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lowen SoDium posted:

The PG279Q is getting some really rough reviews on Newegg

Lots of complaints about backlight bleed...

Doesn't bode well for the PG348Q, definitely going to wait for reviews beyond the perfect review copy. If it ends up as bad as the X34 I'll likely just go with the (significantly cheaper) Dell.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Nodelphi posted:

Asus is well known for having likely the worst customer support and RMA process in the business, so no.

Buy it from Amazon so you only need to deal with them.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Krailor posted:

Yup, that's what it looks like. They started using a little winky face logo on the bezel.

Is having HDMI and DP correct?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

xthetenth posted:

Is having HDMI and DP correct?

HDMI cable didn't work, I had to use the (I assume) DPI cable included in the box

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

pandaK posted:

HDMI cable didn't work, I had to use the (I assume) DPI cable included in the box

I think he means that you got the multi-input version, which doesn't overclock.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I think I might be nearing time for a monitor upgrade. Currently using a Dell U2311H from about 5 or 6 years ago, and it still holds up pretty well. Next gen of technology is here, though, and I could use a faster response rate for some of the stuff I play.

I'm thinking 24" or 27" 144hz with 1ms of response time. 1440p probably starts getting expensive, and I don't think they even make a 4k monitor that does 144hz yet, do they? I question if my machine is strong enough to get the full advantages of 144hz though - I have a GTX 760, an i5-4690, and 16 gigs of RAM. I would probably also use the monitor for ps4/xbone related stuff, my TV is pretty old and not the best option anymore. Thoughts, thread? Do I upgrade to something on the cheaper spectrum of better to hold me off for another year or two, then go ham? Or do I get something beefer now and expect to use it for the next 5 years?

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010

Nodelphi posted:

If it makes you feel better my order from Amazon is almost perfect except for a little IPS glow, which is a lot less than the Crossover monitor I'm coming from.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Zorilla posted:

I think he means that you got the multi-input version, which doesn't overclock.

Wait, does this mean I can't boost it to 70-80hz or whatever either?

That's... pretty loving balls then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yeah, that's the catch: in an effort to make the single-input model as cheap as humanly possible, they removed the scaler board. The removal of said board is what allows the overclocking to work. The multi-input monitors need the scaler board in order to work (they route the various inputs through it), and hence cannot overclock.