Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Do you have availability on the XF270HU? It's freesync and IPS and not a super fancy luxury monitor like the eizo is so it might be reasonably priced, since the eizo is priced about where it is here and the Gsync ones are all usurious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is the xb271hk (4k version) just less of a good buy because of the graphics card requirements (and extra $$)?

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

I got my summer vacation money and since I'm not actually going anywhere, I'd like to move away from this pretty old TV that I'm using as a monitor atm.
Something relatively cheap, 300-450 range or so. Gsync would be nice, and 1080p would be fine for me.
Physical size would be around 28" to 32"
I use my computer for mostly gaming and youtube, so nothing too serious.

Any suggestions or tips would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Is the price premium of IPS really that great over TN? A monitor isn't like a TV, I'm viewing it directly in front of my face and not from different seats around my living room. I have a local Microcenter so I can get the TN version of the Acer XB270HU Abprz for $500 instead of $600 like here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009848

Not to mention the $230 price difference to get the XB271HU.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

KingKapalone posted:

Is the price premium of IPS really that great over TN? A monitor isn't like a TV, I'm viewing it directly in front of my face and not from different seats around my living room. I have a local Microcenter so I can get the TN version of the Acer XB270HU Abprz for $500 instead of $600 like here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009848

Not to mention the $230 price difference to get the XB271HU.

IMO, it's worth the extra to get the IPS version if you can possibly afford it. You are already spending a lot of money on something that should last a long, long time, it does not make sense to skimp on it when you might come to regret it later on. You would have to live with that buyer's remorse for 5+ years so the question is what do you value more? 1) ~$200 or 2) Piece of Mind for 5+ years of ownership? Even if something better comes out down the line you can at least know that you got the best thing you could when you bought it.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
TN is washed out old-school looking panel, when I'd look at LCDs against my plasma TV and laugh at how poo poo the colour reproduction was.

IPS is holy poo poo that looks nearly as good as my plasma but doesn't weight 50kg (literally for my 50" TV in my lounge room).

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

xthetenth posted:

Do you have availability on the XF270HU? It's freesync and IPS and not a super fancy luxury monitor like the eizo is so it might be reasonably priced, since the eizo is priced about where it is here and the Gsync ones are all usurious.
$960 USD. :shepface:

This is garbage.

Might have to suck it up, goddamned nVidia tax here. AIB 1070s are $540+ here. :argh:

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 28, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

LiquidRain posted:

$960 USD. :shepface:

This is garbage.

Might have to suck it up, goddamned nVidia tax here. AIB 1070s are $540+ here. :argh:

Jesus. How much is international shipping? Could you just order something from America? I've done that many times with books -- Amazon.uk will deliver internationally, for example.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 28, 2016

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

The x34 predator is going for about 1900$ in Canada these days.
A guy on kijiji is selling his for 1100$. Manufactured in Sept 2015.

This seems like a great deal, but I'm afraid to take the deal due to the quality issues iv read about on these forums.
I guess I could always try and resell it myself if it had issues.

Can anyone tip the scales in a direction for me?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Jesus. How much is international shipping? Could you just order something from America? I've done that many times with books -- Amazon.uk will deliver internationally, for example.
I've never done it before and I fear the wrath of customs as well as a lack of warranty. :(

Are there any FreeSync monitors with a range that goes to 144Hz? I'm reading that nice ASUS (MG279Q) one only does 35-90 for FreeSync? Are there any non-adaptive options for 1440p144 IPS just so I can do some price checking, or is there only "cheap TV 144 and expensive g-sync 144"? Are prices in the US cheaper for 4K60 Free/G-Sync monitors than 1440p144 too? (because that's what I'm seeing here and it's making me wonder if I'm going to care more about 144Hz or 4K in 2-3 years)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

LeninVS posted:

This seems like a great deal, but I'm afraid to take the deal due to the quality issues iv read about on these forums.

Ask for a picture of it in a dark room?

LiquidRain posted:

I've never done it before and I fear the wrath of customs as well as a lack of warranty. :(

Are there any FreeSync monitors with a range that goes to 144Hz? I'm reading that nice ASUS (MG279Q) one only does 35-90 for FreeSync? Are there any non-adaptive options for 1440p144 IPS just so I can do some price checking, or is there only "cheap TV 144 and expensive g-sync 144"? Are prices in the US cheaper for 4K60 Free/G-Sync monitors than 1440p144 too? (because that's what I'm seeing here and it's making me wonder if I'm going to care more about 144Hz or 4K in 2-3 years)

That Eizo has a freesync range that maxes out at 144 Hz. It's also dick-punchingly expensive. For hilarity's sake, how much is the XR341CK?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

About $1600. :smith:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

LiquidRain posted:

About $1600. :smith:

ouch.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

LeninVS posted:

Um, it's an amazing monitor. But Acer is Acer, which means they're not great. Taking the plunge with no warranty and no recourse.. that's a big gamble for a thousand bucks. I'd pay the extra and not gamble with my money, even though I'm parting with more.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Meanwhile the LG 27MU67, an IPS 4K60 Freesync model, is $500 new here and I saw a show floor model being blown out last week for $370. I think I'm going to have to give up on my 144 dreams, since anything 144 and IPS is $1k or more.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
60Hz? No dude.

I'd take 1080 at 100Hz over 4k at 60 any day of the week. I'm a gamer and that's the context, might not be relevant for you.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I started playing around with DSR in Cities: Skylines. Doubled my 1440p resolution and went from around 140fps to ~85fps. And I just realized that I can definitely tell the difference between 144hz and 85hz, even with gsync enabled, and immediately wanted to go back to 144. It's totally obvious if you spin the camera around. :rip: me

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

fozzy fosbourne posted:

It's totally obvious if you spin the camera around. :rip: me

Doctor, it hurts when I do this...

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I don't want to try 144Hz, because I just can't give up 4K.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I had expected to appreciate the difference in fps games but not so much map games, so I was a bit surprised. Also, for years I've been reading claims that people can't perceive high framerates/hz. I can comfortably say that's either a load of bullshit or I'm a kryptonian, at least when it comes to sample and hold displays like lcds. I suppose that the imperceptible high framerate claim might be more true of CRTs* and people have just assumed it's true of LCDs and never been very curious what's beyond 60hz.

I should try Cities with DSR and ULMB and see how it compares.

Not trying to show off, I'm just surprised at how big a difference it makes to me after all I've read.

*of course, low hz CRT flicker is its own thing so you still want high hz there. And I recall 100hz CRTs being much smoother in motion so maybe it's not even true there..

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I had expected to appreciate the difference in fps games but not so much map games, so I was a bit surprised. Also, for years I've been reading claims that people can't perceive high framerates/hz. I can comfortably say that's either a load of bullshit or I'm a kryptonian, at least when it comes to sample and hold displays like lcds. I suppose that the imperceptible high framerate claim might be more true of CRTs* and people have just assumed it's true of LCDs and never been very curious what's beyond 60hz.

I should try Cities with DSR and ULMB and see how it compares.

Not trying to show off, I'm just surprised at how big a difference it makes to me after all I've read.

*of course, low hz CRT flicker is its own thing so you still want high hz there. And I recall 100hz CRTs being much smoother in motion so maybe it's not even true there..

I think the idea is something along the lines of a really outdated study of standards that 60hz was "good enough" for pure video motion, but the study was conducted in a time they wouldn't have envisioned that we would ever NEED to see that high.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
There are people that will swear up and down that they can't even tell 30 and 60 FPS apart, which seems like a good superpower for saving money. Otherwise I'd say you can definitely tell the difference.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

HMS Boromir posted:

There are people that will swear up and down that they can't even tell 30 and 60 FPS apart, which seems like a good superpower for saving money. Otherwise I'd say you can definitely tell the difference.

It's easy to test, go into your GPU control panel and turn your refresh down to 30hz. In my experience most people find it extremely obvious and will bitch up a storm about the early 4K monitors that run 30hz.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
Recently picked up a 1080/XB271HU, and I'm having some issues with some intermittent stuttering. I'm assuming it's related to the DVI/DP (my secondary being a Korean DVI).

Anything setting-wise that can be done with this, or is it just disable/unplug the other monitor? Clearly I already hate money, but I don't know that I hate it enough to buy another monitor to fix it.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

FakePoet posted:

Recently picked up a 1080/XB271HU, and I'm having some issues with some intermittent stuttering. I'm assuming it's related to the DVI/DP (my secondary being a Korean DVI).

Anything setting-wise that can be done with this, or is it just disable/unplug the other monitor? Clearly I already hate money, but I don't know that I hate it enough to buy another monitor to fix it.

Have you tried unplugging the secondary monitor to see if that is actually the issue?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What AA settings do you fancy dudes with 2k monitors use for gaming with current-gen releases, is just post-process FXAA generally good enough with a decent card?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

What AA settings do you fancy dudes with 2k monitors use for gaming with current-gen releases, is just post-process FXAA generally good enough with a decent card?

FXAA doesn't do anything for temporal or subpixel aliasing (http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=444). Temporal Supersampling like in UE4 or Doom is the best bang for the buck. If the game's engine doesn't implement that, then MSAA is next up. If neither of those are available, then SMAA at native res or FXAA with downsampling. Source: dsfix/gedesato guy, Durante

Personally, just like "high hz is imperceptible," I kind of think there is a common misperception that higher resolution doesn't benefit from significant AA anymore or that it's more bang for your performance buck. Not just now with 4k, but each major resolution hop I've seen this suggested by PC gamers. I also think that some people haven't been keeping up with AA advances and are letting memories of old bad AA, when it was arguably lose-lose, influence them.

e: another article by Durante: https://www.beyond3d.com/content/articles/122

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 28, 2016

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So I just picked up a 1070gtx and I'm looking at upgrading my monitor now. My primary monitor is 5 years old and is a 24 inch samsung 2ms led 1080p. I'm unsure if I want to go 1440 or stay 1080p. I hear that 144hz gaming is all the rage and I don't think that I can pull 144hz gaming with a sole 1070. Would you guys recommend going 144 1080 or just upgrade to a 1440p monitor? If so what are some solid recommendations for both without breaking the bank?

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.

Zotix posted:

So I just picked up a 1070gtx and I'm looking at upgrading my monitor now. My primary monitor is 5 years old and is a 24 inch samsung 2ms led 1080p. I'm unsure if I want to go 1440 or stay 1080p. I hear that 144hz gaming is all the rage and I don't think that I can pull 144hz gaming with a sole 1070. Would you guys recommend going 144 1080 or just upgrade to a 1440p monitor? If so what are some solid recommendations for both without breaking the bank?

I am in the same boat and it seems like a good strategy is to get yourself the 1440p 144hz monitor. You will be only getting around 80fps on more intense of games but for many you will go over that. Also it means that in the future when you upgrade your video card further you wont have to also get a new monitor (who wants to get a new monitor every 3 years?). Worst case you can always turn down some settings or the resolution if you want to go full mlg for a competitive game (things like overwatch will be able to both do high res and high fps). That being said I am in your same shoes so I could be totally wrong so anyone that can back up or poo poo on my plan should chime in.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Get the 1440 / 144. Your card will be fine.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Do I need to worry about gsync / free sync?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Zotix posted:

You will be fine at 1440p and if you're not the GSync will cover your rear end, GSync is fantastic down to like 40 fps and below.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Zotix posted:

Do I need to worry about gsync / free sync?

Yes? If you have GSync you need an NVIDIA card, and if you have FreeSync you need an AMD card/APU. Also it needs to be newer than a 600 series or so.

What are you thinking you might need to worry about? It pretty much Just Works once you turn it on in the control panel of your drivers. Keep within your sync range and it'll be fine.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Any recommendations for a monitor that fits what I'm looking for as a starting point? If I get one with gsync, do I need to have 144hz?

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Does tomshardware typically do good reviews for monitors? I'm looking at picking up a BenQ VZ2470H for a new monitor as my current one is about 10 years old and the color is pretty poor. Reviewed quite well on toms, but other sites don't like it quite as much. I will be using it for gaming, but mostly strategy/low speed games as I use my TV for pretty much anything first person, so refresh rate won't be critical. Will also be using for browsing and some videos, so primarily looking at good color, contrast, and picture quality. Also not looking to spend more than $300-400 and this seems to have good value.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Hey monitor goons. I recently picked up an AOC 3477PQU at the recommendation of someone in this thread (who I can't remember - sorry!) and have a question re: overclocking it. I can set it to 70hz in the nVidia control panel custom resolution tool, but I seem to recall there's ideal increments that you should go up in (and I can't recall the technical explanation as to why). Is it even worth sitting on 70hz or is it effectively doing nothing?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Thoughts on this monitor?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G43J4805

I'd like to go 1440p/ 144, but i don't really want to drop $600 at this point.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Zotix posted:

It's a TN monitor, so if that's acceptable to you, why not pay a little more and get Dell's S2716DG and get 1440p and G-sync?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
^doh, beaten

Zotix posted:

That's passable given your standards, but remember that you are dropping the IPS display for TN. In that case, you can also try to meet your goals by shooting for (at least a decent) 1440p TN film monitor with the Dell S2716DG. It's less on the Newegg link, but see if you can snag a big Dell coupon on top of a Dell deal to slash its price down to meet your budget--it was once $470 before any extra coupons.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=210-AGJR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6BM42V2658

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm also shopping for a new monitor and it seems like the main knock against TN is for video playback. But if I don't really watch a lot of Netflix on my PC and just wanna game, is there a more practical difference?