Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

movax posted:

I'll try to update the OP this weekend with some updated impressions from goons, and add a section on our 27" Korean friend, thanks for the jumping on that Shadowhand00.

I also purchased a Catleap 27 inch ips, but it wont be here until mid next week. A $7.50 coupon off of an eBay purchase was enough to push me over the edge, who knew. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Shmoogy posted:

I also purchased a Catleap 27 inch ips, but it wont be here until mid next week. A $7.50 coupon off of an eBay purchase was enough to push me over the edge, who knew. :colbert:

You lucky bastard.

http://myworld.ebay.com/dream-seller/

Dream-seller is actually extremely responsive and seems like an overall nice guy. He's willing to add additional products to his offerings including the Crossfire 27", which seems to be the best Korean-based IPS LCD (discounted).

Actually, I just went through that OP again (movax, if you could add some of the stuff below, I think it'd be helpful for people):

http://translate.google.com/transla..._srl%3D21449157
http://translate.google.com/transla..._srl%3D20925987
http://translate.google.com/transla...ngame%26page%3D

Also, this is a link to a PDF with Bulk Prices for these monitors. Just to show you how you're not being ripped off: (since shipping is about ~100 to and from Korea at the moment):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61830124/Spec.%20sheet%20for%20Shimian%20series.pdf

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 7, 2012

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Trickyrive posted:

Maybe somebody that's had my same monitor before can suggest to me what they upgraded to?

I had a 20WMGX2 and upgraded to a Dell U2412M and I'm satisfied. If I had a larger budget I would have looked for a glossy panel because that is the first difference I noticed. The colors don't "pop" (saturation?) because of the U2412M's AG coating but they seem more accurate. Then again I never calibrated them to each other and I'm no graphic designer.

IMO you trade a little color for a lot of resolution and real estate. I guess thats just the difference between a glossy and AG coated screen. That Korean Catleap monitor seems like it would be a good "big-brother" to the 20WMGX2 though.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Shadowhand00 posted:

Also, this is a link to a PDF with Bulk Prices for these monitors. Just to show you how you're not being ripped off: (since shipping is about ~100 to and from Korea at the moment):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61830124/Spec.%20sheet%20for%20Shimian%20series.pdf

That's pretty interesting, I don't know what paypal fees are for powersellers (other than knowing they're lower) but I paid $363 for mine, so $250 + 100 shipping /fees... How on earth is this viable for them to do?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Shmoogy posted:

That's pretty interesting, I don't know what paypal fees are for powersellers (other than knowing they're lower) but I paid $363 for mine, so $250 + 100 shipping /fees... How on earth is this viable for them to do?

Its possible they may have relationships with the carriers as well. Whenever I ship something to my grandfather, it comes out to $100. Possible they could be getting better prices on that portion. I paid $400 for my catleap, so I know they might have made about ~20-30 for my monitor.

Priam
Jun 27, 2004

Shmoogy posted:

One of the sellers (dream-seller on ebay) is shipping them out in bulk it seems, so they're not all getting shipped out individually one at a time. He seems to do one shipment a week with all of the orders he's getting, and he's definitely getting a lot.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

re-writing OP, everyone should just go use iPad 3 as their screen

e: so this isn't a complete shitpost, shadowhand I will definitely put together a little blurb about that monitor with your links in the monitors section of the post!

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

movax posted:

re-writing OP, everyone should just go use iPad 3 as their screen

e: so this isn't a complete shitpost, shadowhand I will definitely put together a little blurb about that monitor with your links in the monitors section of the post!

I'm totally using an iPad 3 for a third monitor. That resolution is ridiculous.

I would love to see a 30" with the same PPI :swoon:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

fookolt posted:

There may actually be a reason to do so once Windows 8 is out (Metro apps are resolution-independent right?).

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

fookolt posted:

Speaking of 30" screens and advances with them, I remember seeing a comment from one of the guys doing monitor reviews for Anand that development on new 30" panels had essentially stopped, and that all future larger displays were going to be 27" 16:9 based panels instead. I can't find it now, but that's a loving depressing comment if true.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

Speaking of 30" screens and advances with them, I remember seeing a comment from one of the guys doing monitor reviews for Anand that development on new 30" panels had essentially stopped, and that all future larger displays were going to be 27" 16:9 based panels instead. I can't find it now, but that's a loving depressing comment if true.

It's depressing, but you have to remember that we make up like 1% of 1% of computer users out there and these panels are incredibly tricky and expensive to make.

As far as I can tell, this monitor is the most recent advance in this size category (and it's from last June) and god drat, I want it so badly:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/21/eizo-industrial-monitor-does-4k-resolution-at-36-inches-start-s/

36.4 inches, 4096 x 2160, $36000 :smith:

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

Smeed posted:

I had a 20WMGX2 and upgraded to a Dell U2412M and I'm satisfied. If I had a larger budget I would have looked for a glossy panel because that is the first difference I noticed. The colors don't "pop" (saturation?) because of the U2412M's AG coating but they seem more accurate. Then again I never calibrated them to each other and I'm no graphic designer.

IMO you trade a little color for a lot of resolution and real estate. I guess thats just the difference between a glossy and AG coated screen. That Korean Catleap monitor seems like it would be a good "big-brother" to the 20WMGX2 though.

I don't seem to find many choices in glossy panels, just Apple displays, Hazro monitors which don't seem to sell to the US, and a Dell (ST2220T) thats a touchscreen ...

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Trickyrive posted:

I don't seem to find many choices in glossy panels, just Apple displays, Hazro monitors which don't seem to sell to the US, and a Dell (ST2220T) thats a touchscreen ...

There's also the Korean LCDs that I've been posting about, which are OEMs of the Hazro monitors.

L33t_Kefka
Jul 16, 2000

My 1337 littl3 magic us3r, put 0n this cr0wn, bitch! H4W H4W! I 0wn j00!!!!
I cannot wait for an AMOLED monitor.

But in the meantime, can I get anyone's opinion on this LG brand IPS display?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Vidaeus posted:

I'm looking at upgrading. I have been using cheapo TN 24" or 22" non LED monitors for the past 5 years or so (both going at the same time now actually). Now I have a good job and I get paid well, so I am looking at upgrading to a 27" IPS panel. I think 30" would be too big, as it is only sitting on a desk in front of me, and not a particularly deep desk at that. Anyone with a 30" panel disagree that it is too big for a reasonable sized desk?

Would be using it mainly for gaming, web usage, office stuff for work/uni and the occasional movie. I can appreciate good black levels and good colour reproduction, but I won't be working with photos or video editing too much - maybe the odd thing, but nothing serious. Inputs are not important. As long as it has DVI/HDMI I am fine. Don't need USB hubs or S-video or speakers or any of that crap. Just a nice screen.

Is the Dell U2711 still recommended for this size? The Apple 27" display also looks nice, but it is also a fair bit more expensive - $1199 vs $899 from their respective Austrailan web stores. Yes, I can afford it, but if there's not that much difference I won't bother.

Also, I am in no rush. Do Dell often do sales on their web stores? At the moment I can see the U3011 is $340(!) off from $1699 to $1359 and the U2312HM is down $25 from $269 to $244. I could wait for a sale for the U2711 if they do this kind of thing often.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any feedback for me from the last page as I seem to have gotten missed?
i.e. Is 30" too big for gaming/web/office stuff on a normal desk and are the Dell ultrasharps still the go to model for 27" or 30"?

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

Vidaeus posted:

Just wanted to see if anyone had any feedback for me from the last page as I seem to have gotten missed?
i.e. Is 30" too big for gaming/web/office stuff on a normal desk and are the Dell ultrasharps still the go to model for 27" or 30"?

I use a Dell 30" on a "normal desk" (I'm not sure what this means) and can't think of any other monitor I'd want to use. If you check the previous page, you can see a picture I took of my desk (you can use the mouse or Xbox 360 controller as a way to figure out scale I guess!).

And going to a 27" isn't going to make it much smaller in any case.

However, I've used both regularly and those extra 3" diagonal inches (and 409600 pixels) really are worth it in my opinion.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

L33t_Kefka posted:

I cannot wait for an AMOLED monitor.

But in the meantime, can I get anyone's opinion on this LG brand IPS display?

Have no personal experience with it, but the specs look OK to me. IPS panel, excellent. It being 1920x1080 vs. 1920x1200 is your personal preference. You could do a quick price-check to see how low the Dell of comparable size is, I suppose, but I don't think you'll be disappointed with the LG display, especially if you're coming from a TN.

Vidaeus posted:

I don't think 30" will be too big; I use an IKEA Vika as my "desk" right now (it's just really a dumb table) and an Ergotron monitor arm. The arm is basically pushed back as far as it'll go, as the table sucks at supporting the weight I guess, and the table is really shallow, so I can't have it right in my face.

If price isn't the driving factor here, I'd pick up the 30" display, definitely.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Vidaeus posted:

It takes a little bit of getting used to (Sometimes it can be hard to break the habit of always maximizing a browser window), but once you start using a 30" screen you'll never want to go back to anything else.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

It takes a little bit of getting used to (Sometimes it can be hard to break the habit of always maximizing a browser window), but once you start using a 30" screen you'll never want to go back to anything else.

That's a good point; I haven't used a maximized browser window in so long.

WinSplit Revolution is really amazing.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Anyone here have any triple monitor experience? I ended up picking up a PCI GT 520 for my third monitor (first two are on a GTX 560 Ti PCI-E x16) and I'm some serious lag on it, way more than I expected, and on things like 'web browsing, right clicking on desktop, etc'.

I have an Asus P7P55 LX mobo and I have both a spare x16 and x1 slot - what's the best way for me to hook up a third monitor? I can return this card pretty easily to Fry's and replace with a decent x16 card (I dropped 60 on this, as I wanted to get a halfway decent card even if it was PCI), but I can't find decent information on what happens if you start swapping in monitors.

Specific questions, if this helps:

1. If I buy say a GTX 520 PCI-E x16 and plug it into my spare slot with no SLI or anything, what will happen? Decreased performance? x8 mode on both cards?

2. If I buy a PCI-E x1 video card, am I likely to see any improvement over dual PCI-E x16s?

3. For some crazy reason, should I be looking at ATi for my secondary card?

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

Shadowhand00 posted:

There's also the Korean LCDs that I've been posting about, which are OEMs of the Hazro monitors.

What's the difference between the Catleap and the Achieva monitors? The only thing different I see on the ebay store is that the Achieva says it's tempered glass.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Falcon2001 posted:

Anyone here have any triple monitor experience? I ended up picking up a PCI GT 520 for my third monitor (first two are on a GTX 560 Ti PCI-E x16) and I'm some serious lag on it, way more than I expected, and on things like 'web browsing, right clicking on desktop, etc'.

I have an Asus P7P55 LX mobo and I have both a spare x16 and x1 slot - what's the best way for me to hook up a third monitor? I can return this card pretty easily to Fry's and replace with a decent x16 card (I dropped 60 on this, as I wanted to get a halfway decent card even if it was PCI), but I can't find decent information on what happens if you start swapping in monitors.

Specific questions, if this helps:

1. If I buy say a GTX 520 PCI-E x16 and plug it into my spare slot with no SLI or anything, what will happen? Decreased performance? x8 mode on both cards?

2. If I buy a PCI-E x1 video card, am I likely to see any improvement over dual PCI-E x16s?

3. For some crazy reason, should I be looking at ATi for my secondary card?

I'd say the PCI video card is the problem here. The P55 chipset doesn't have native PCI, so you're getting your third monitor running not only at an anemic 133 MB/s of bandwidth, but that's cut in half by a PCIe-PCI bridge chip. Plus, then, the GeForce 520 isn't a native PCI card, so there's ANOTHER bridge chip on there to go from PCI back to PCIe. That's another hit to effective bandwidth, and also a non-trivial amount of latency to add to the connection.

Questions:
1. x8/x8 mode for the cards. You won't see a performance difference, as that's still enough bandwidth for the 560 Ti.

2. No. While it would be a definite upgrade over the PCI version, it sounds like, it might have some specific issues with your board. Specifically: in the only available x1 slot, the card could block the fan for your 560 Ti a bit and raise the card's temperatures/noise; and if you put it in the other x16 slot, you'll still get x8/x8 mode even though the card is only x1 electrically. So, coupled with the lack of performance impact between having the 560 Ti running in x8 mode, an x1 card isn't worth the typical price premium over the x16 card.

3. AMD is really good with multimonitor stuff, but the real benefit would be running all those monitors off of one card. Assuming you're using Windows 7, there shouldn't be any problems running both AMD drivers and nVidia drivers concurrently, so you could use an AMD card. But it won't give you any actual advantages, and the risk of driver infighting makes for a lot of potential problems for a video card that's only going to be doing 2D stuff. Assuming you can get an nVidia card as cheaply, stick with the nVidia card.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Factory Factory posted:

I'd say the PCI video card is the problem here. The P55 chipset doesn't have native PCI, so you're getting your third monitor running not only at an anemic 133 MB/s of bandwidth, but that's cut in half by a PCIe-PCI bridge chip. Plus, then, the GeForce 520 isn't a native PCI card, so there's ANOTHER bridge chip on there to go from PCI back to PCIe. That's another hit to effective bandwidth, and also a non-trivial amount of latency to add to the connection.

Questions:
1. x8/x8 mode for the cards. You won't see a performance difference, as that's still enough bandwidth for the 560 Ti.

2. No. While it would be a definite upgrade over the PCI version, it sounds like, it might have some specific issues with your board. Specifically: in the only available x1 slot, the card could block the fan for your 560 Ti a bit and raise the card's temperatures/noise; and if you put it in the other x16 slot, you'll still get x8/x8 mode even though the card is only x1 electrically. So, coupled with the lack of performance impact between having the 560 Ti running in x8 mode, an x1 card isn't worth the typical price premium over the x16 card.

3. AMD is really good with multimonitor stuff, but the real benefit would be running all those monitors off of one card. Assuming you're using Windows 7, there shouldn't be any problems running both AMD drivers and nVidia drivers concurrently, so you could use an AMD card. But it won't give you any actual advantages, and the risk of driver infighting makes for a lot of potential problems for a video card that's only going to be doing 2D stuff. Assuming you can get an nVidia card as cheaply, stick with the nVidia card.

Did anyone ever tell you that you're awesome, because you're mega awesome. :) Thanks! I tried digging around tomshardware and everywhere else and just couldn't find any clear answers about this, it kept going back to SLI questions. :(

Update - went and picked up a GT520 (compared it to the 430 and picked it for the lower power usage and comparable performance) and so far everything's great! 1080p on any of the monitors for video playback is fantastic, and none of the lag I saw before.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 8, 2012

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Trickyrive posted:

What's the difference between the Catleap and the Achieva monitors? The only thing different I see on the ebay store is that the Achieva says it's tempered glass.

Mostly just outwards presentation. It also appears that the following is occuring:

1. Catleap is able to be clocked up to 97Hz, essentially, overclock them. Seems to allow playing on this frequency with full resolution. Not sure how this affects panel life.

2. Seems like Achievas have a slightly better rate of panel flawlessness. The only panels that are flawed for Achievas, according to that thread, are the ones with tempered glass - these get dust under the glass. The Catleaps seem to have 1-2 flaws + a bit more backlight bleed. The stand on the Catleaps is also not the greatest, but it does have some VESA mounts that are accessible and usable.

3. Panels for both of them are the exact same. These are the same panels used by ACD, Dell (different revision) and Hazros.

HelfMyselp
Nov 2, 2004

Dude, check it. It's a trash can. And a rollerblade.

Now shovel some cheese curls into my trash hole...
My Dell 2007WFP is showing signs of discoloration at the top of the screen. I originally through it was image retention from a certain high contrast background, but the yellowish tint has continually moved downward over the last four weeks or so. These pics aren't great, I know, but it's the best I can do for now.

The discoloration shows up best (worst?) against a dark background, which is proving hard to capture via camera. There are very clear dots in some sections with the bottom of the "u" shape being most prominent.

What could it be? Is it image retention despite the fact I've used a solid color background for the last month? A glue leak of some kind slowly seeping through? Something else? I imagine I won't be able to fix it no matter what it ends up being.

I'm looking at a Dell U2312HM to replace it down the road. That's a logical choice, right?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I'm thinking of getting a new monitor this summer but it's been such a hassle to choose.

It's mostly a panel and input issue. I hook up my PS3 to my monitor, so HDMI is pretty necessary. I don't have enough space on my current desk for a second monitor so I can't just reuse my current one, so the new one pretty much needs to have the right inputs.

Currently, for TN, it's the BenQ XL2420TX vs the ASUS VG278H. I might just opt for the cheaper XL2420T since the 3D is mostly an extra for me rather than something I must have. I just don't really have much of an option for other panels at the moment. The U2410 is pretty much my only choice at the moment, but I've no idea how much an issue input lag will be. I'm also worried about stretching since it is 16:10. At least with the two TN monitors, I can go down to the local NCIX (Canadian here) and see if they have any on display.

Any ideas?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Shmoogy posted:

They don't have any ratings on resellerratings, and they have very mixed reviews from various places. I wouldn't have ordered from them, but hopefully you'll be okay.

e: They have good ratings through amazon marketplace, but just hope you don't need to get a hold of their customer service.

So just in case anyone was wondering, my experience with Deal 4 U wasn't exactly stellar, but it wasn't terrible either. I used PayPal to pay instead of just using my debit card so that I could open a dispute there if it did go tits up. I ordered last Wednesday (so 9 days ago, not 2). The order was accepted and confirmed within a few minutes but then sat on processing for a couple of days. They didn't answer my emails and I was starting to get a little concerned, so I gave them a ring Friday morning. The dude answered the phone straight away, he did sound a little uncertain but checked my order number and told me the monitor would be dispatched "around the middle of next week". By the end of yesterday (Thursday) I was definitely more concerned and was preparing to ring this morning and start to properly pressure them, and give them a deadline to get it to me before I'd be wanting my money back. I didn't have to do that though as I got a dispatch note yesterday evening around 5.30. I was expecting to have to wait another week as I'd chosen 7 day economy shipping, but I just got a message from my girlfriend saying that there's a big Dell box waiting for me at her office. So I'm guessing "7 day economy shipping" actually means "next day shipping we're lazy bastards so it might take 7 days for us to actually send it".

So, assuming that when I get the box open it's going to be legit and in full working order and not just a box of bricks, I have managed to pick up a U2412M for £205 which is a cracking deal.

I look forward to watching my ageing 8800 GTX poo poo the bed this evening when I actually try and run any games at that res, and then having to wait a month to get paid from my new job before I can buy a new one.

chippy fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 9, 2012

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just ordered dual P2312Hs for everybody in our new office which we move to in a week, it's going to be pretty huge upgrade to finally get rid of my single 19in 4:3.

What's considered the best tool for dual monitor window management these days? UltraMon/MultiMon? We all run Win 7.

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

Shadowhand00 posted:

Mostly just outwards presentation. It also appears that the following is occuring:

1. Catleap is able to be clocked up to 97Hz, essentially, overclock them. Seems to allow playing on this frequency with full resolution. Not sure how this affects panel life.

2. Seems like Achievas have a slightly better rate of panel flawlessness. The only panels that are flawed for Achievas, according to that thread, are the ones with tempered glass - these get dust under the glass. The Catleaps seem to have 1-2 flaws + a bit more backlight bleed. The stand on the Catleaps is also not the greatest, but it does have some VESA mounts that are accessible and usable.

3. Panels for both of them are the exact same. These are the same panels used by ACD, Dell (different revision) and Hazros.

Great, thank you! Finally, did you need a transformer to make it compatible with US outlets?

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard

Shadowhand00 posted:

Stuff

Tried googling this crossfire model (sorry if it's in the dropbox pdf - at work and won't open) and can't find any info. I'm assuming it's the same panel just better casing?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Trickyrive posted:

Great, thank you! Finally, did you need a transformer to make it compatible with US outlets?

You just swap the power cord with a standard US one (used for monitors, computers, PS3, tons of other things)-- the brick can handle the power conversion, but south korea uses a different outlet connector.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Argas posted:

I'm thinking of getting a new monitor this summer but it's been such a hassle to choose.

It's mostly a panel and input issue. I hook up my PS3 to my monitor, so HDMI is pretty necessary. I don't have enough space on my current desk for a second monitor so I can't just reuse my current one, so the new one pretty much needs to have the right inputs.

Currently, for TN, it's the BenQ XL2420TX vs the ASUS VG278H. I might just opt for the cheaper XL2420T since the 3D is mostly an extra for me rather than something I must have. I just don't really have much of an option for other panels at the moment. The U2410 is pretty much my only choice at the moment, but I've no idea how much an issue input lag will be. I'm also worried about stretching since it is 16:10. At least with the two TN monitors, I can go down to the local NCIX (Canadian here) and see if they have any on display.

Any ideas?

I don't think you'll have issues with input lag with the U2410 that will negatively affect your gameplay. My mind is blanking on the moment though with the U2410/12s behavior regarding stretching or 1:1'ing 1080p input over HDMI, I'm sure an owner of one of those models will post in a bit.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

movax posted:

I don't think you'll have issues with input lag with the U2410 that will negatively affect your gameplay. My mind is blanking on the moment though with the U2410/12s behavior regarding stretching or 1:1'ing 1080p input over HDMI, I'm sure an owner of one of those models will post in a bit.

U2412 stretches to fill the screen while the U2410 can do 1:1.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shadowhand00 posted:

I'm going to order one of these monitors soon and, while I do like the look of tempered glass, everyone in the overclocked thread who got one of these seems to have dust behind the glass. It doesn't seem as though anyone has found a way to easily remove it for cleaning either.

As for the crappy stands, are there any decent VESA compatible "Dell style" stands out there that fit 27" monitors?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

The_Franz posted:

I'm going to order one of these monitors soon and, while I do like the look of tempered glass, everyone in the overclocked thread who got one of these seems to have dust behind the glass. It doesn't seem as though anyone has found a way to easily remove it for cleaning either.

As for the crappy stands, are there any decent VESA compatible "Dell style" stands out there that fit 27" monitors?

Someone speculated that the tempered glass versions of these monitors are the same ones found in all of the PC-bangs, whereas the regular non-tempered glass ones are for home-use.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082808&p_id=5402&seq=1&format=2 is supposed to be a nice monitor stand. I'm thinking about getting one of these eventually.

Filthee Fingas posted:

Tried googling this crossfire model (sorry if it's in the dropbox pdf - at work and won't open) and can't find any info. I'm assuming it's the same panel just better casing?

Yeah, the Crossfire has a nicer casing and what looks like a rotatable stand. Might be worth it if he provides it for sale - you won't have to buy a new stand for the monitor.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

fookolt posted:

As far as I can tell, this monitor is the most recent advance in this size category (and it's from last June) and god drat, I want it so badly:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/21/eizo-industrial-monitor-does-4k-resolution-at-36-inches-start-s/

36.4 inches, 4096 x 2160, $36000 :smith:

It's not the most recent advance, really (and there have been monitors that big for a long time). Monitors like that just aren't targeted for consumers at all so you never really hear about them.

Priam
Jun 27, 2004

Argas posted:

Any ideas?

If the only reason you're looking at the U2410 is pixel scaling/a hdmi input, buy the zr2440w instead, it's a much much better display for general use and has nearly twice the contrast as the u2410.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

evilalien posted:

U2412 stretches to fill the screen while the U2410 can do 1:1.

Cool, thanks.

Priam posted:

If the only reason you're looking at the U2410 is pixel scaling/a hdmi input, buy the zr2440w instead, it's a much much better display for general use and has nearly twice the contrast as the u2410.

I'll take a look at it.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

chippy posted:

So just in case anyone was wondering, my experience with Deal 4 U wasn't exactly stellar, but it wasn't terrible either. I used PayPal to pay instead of just using my debit card so that I could open a dispute there if it did go tits up. I ordered last Wednesday (so 9 days ago, not 2). The order was accepted and confirmed within a few minutes but then sat on processing for a couple of days. They didn't answer my emails and I was starting to get a little concerned, so I gave them a ring Friday morning. The dude answered the phone straight away, he did sound a little uncertain but checked my order number and told me the monitor would be dispatched "around the middle of next week". By the end of yesterday (Thursday) I was definitely more concerned and was preparing to ring this morning and start to properly pressure them, and give them a deadline to get it to me before I'd be wanting my money back. I didn't have to do that though as I got a dispatch note yesterday evening around 5.30. I was expecting to have to wait another week as I'd chosen 7 day economy shipping, but I just got a message from my girlfriend saying that there's a big Dell box waiting for me at her office. So I'm guessing "7 day economy shipping" actually means "next day shipping we're lazy bastards so it might take 7 days for us to actually send it".

So, assuming that when I get the box open it's going to be legit and in full working order and not just a box of bricks, I have managed to pick up a U2412M for £205 which is a cracking deal.

I look forward to watching my ageing 8800 GTX poo poo the bed this evening when I actually try and run any games at that res, and then having to wait a month to get paid from my new job before I can buy a new one.

This is a beautiful monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Can anyone recommend a decent, low price ~23-24" LED backlit(lightweight) monitor that has a VESA mount. TN is fine.