Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I'm looking for a new monitor to replace my ageing Dell 1280x1024 panel that I don't even know the model of.

It'll mostly be used for playing games and watching films/TV (from the other side of the room/bed), but also some coding/studying and the occasional bit of buggering about with photos. The current Dell panel will replace my current crappy second screen. I guess I'd probably fall into the Power User/Goon category in the OP. Colour being off really bugs me when watching TV etc, but I think maybe I only really notice it when I compare my 2 monitors side by side and notice they're different.

I'm ideally looking for something in a 24-inch at either 1920 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200 and I don't really want to go over £200, but I might go a bit over for a really good deal.

Currently, it's looking like I'm not going to get a 16:10 in that price range, it seems like the 1920 x 1200's come in a fair bit more expensive that the 1920 x 1080s, is this a fair observation? And to be honest, I'm not sure if I would even need/want/notice those extra few pixels.

These two have both caught my eye:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-24-inch-VH242H-Gaming-Monitor/dp/tech-data/B001TH8OYW/ref=de_a_smtd
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-S24A350H-inch-Widescreen-monitor/dp/B004R9JEV6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1330437338&sr=8-4

Does anyone have any opinion/experience with these models?

I've also noticed that if I dropped an inch I could get a U2312M in my price range: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Ultrasharp-U2312HM-inch-Monitor/dp/B005MHMFJA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330441391&sr=8-1

Would the increased picture quality be worth sacrificing an inch for?

I absolutely hate making decisions like this, so would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

chippy fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

chippy posted:

I'm looking for a new monitor to replace my ageing Dell 1280x1024 panel that I don't even know the model of.

It'll mostly be used for playing games and watching films/TV (from the other side of the room/bed), but also some coding/studying and the occasional bit of buggering about with photos. The current Dell panel will replace my current crappy second screen. I guess I'd probably fall into the Power User/Goon category in the OP. Colour being off really bugs me when watching TV etc, but I think maybe I only really notice it when I compare my 2 monitors side by side and notice they're different.

I'm ideally looking for something in a 24-inch at either 1920 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200 and I don't really want to go over £200, but I might go a bit over for a really good deal.

Currently, it's looking like I'm not going to get a 16:10 in that price range, it seems like the 1920 x 1200's come in a fair bit more expensive that the 1920 x 1080s, is this a fair observation? And to be honest, I'm not sure if I would even need/want/notice those extra few pixels.

These two have both caught my eye:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-24-inch-VH242H-Gaming-Monitor/dp/tech-data/B001TH8OYW/ref=de_a_smtd
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-S24A350H-inch-Widescreen-monitor/dp/B004R9JEV6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1330437338&sr=8-4

Does anyone have any opinion/experience with these models?

I've also noticed that if I dropped an inch I could get a U2312M in my price range: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Ultrasharp-U2312HM-inch-Monitor/dp/B005MHMFJA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330441391&sr=8-1

Would the increased picture quality be worth sacrificing an inch for?

I absolutely hate making decisions like this, so would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Having said all this, I've just found a Dell 2412M for £210. I'm very tempted to just pull the trigger on this now. Anyone have a good reason I shouldn't?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Oh poo poo, I just bought it and then noticed it's the U2412M, what's the difference between the U and the non U? Is there a difference? Bugger.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yeah, I think I'm just panicking over nothing. Here's the link though:http://dealforu.co.uk/epages/eshop330172.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop330172/Products/860-10161

I was a little dubious of the site but it seems to have generally good reviews.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Shmoogy posted:

They don't have any ratings on resellerratings, and they have very mixed reviews from various places. I wouldn't have ordered from them, but hopefully you'll be okay.

e: They have good ratings through amazon marketplace, but just hope you don't need to get a hold of their customer service.

Yeah, I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope basically. I couldn't resist the price.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Shmoogy posted:

They don't have any ratings on resellerratings, and they have very mixed reviews from various places. I wouldn't have ordered from them, but hopefully you'll be okay.

e: They have good ratings through amazon marketplace, but just hope you don't need to get a hold of their customer service.

So just in case anyone was wondering, my experience with Deal 4 U wasn't exactly stellar, but it wasn't terrible either. I used PayPal to pay instead of just using my debit card so that I could open a dispute there if it did go tits up. I ordered last Wednesday (so 9 days ago, not 2). The order was accepted and confirmed within a few minutes but then sat on processing for a couple of days. They didn't answer my emails and I was starting to get a little concerned, so I gave them a ring Friday morning. The dude answered the phone straight away, he did sound a little uncertain but checked my order number and told me the monitor would be dispatched "around the middle of next week". By the end of yesterday (Thursday) I was definitely more concerned and was preparing to ring this morning and start to properly pressure them, and give them a deadline to get it to me before I'd be wanting my money back. I didn't have to do that though as I got a dispatch note yesterday evening around 5.30. I was expecting to have to wait another week as I'd chosen 7 day economy shipping, but I just got a message from my girlfriend saying that there's a big Dell box waiting for me at her office. So I'm guessing "7 day economy shipping" actually means "next day shipping we're lazy bastards so it might take 7 days for us to actually send it".

So, assuming that when I get the box open it's going to be legit and in full working order and not just a box of bricks, I have managed to pick up a U2412M for £205 which is a cracking deal.

I look forward to watching my ageing 8800 GTX poo poo the bed this evening when I actually try and run any games at that res, and then having to wait a month to get paid from my new job before I can buy a new one.

chippy fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 9, 2012

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

chippy posted:

So just in case anyone was wondering, my experience with Deal 4 U wasn't exactly stellar, but it wasn't terrible either. I used PayPal to pay instead of just using my debit card so that I could open a dispute there if it did go tits up. I ordered last Wednesday (so 9 days ago, not 2). The order was accepted and confirmed within a few minutes but then sat on processing for a couple of days. They didn't answer my emails and I was starting to get a little concerned, so I gave them a ring Friday morning. The dude answered the phone straight away, he did sound a little uncertain but checked my order number and told me the monitor would be dispatched "around the middle of next week". By the end of yesterday (Thursday) I was definitely more concerned and was preparing to ring this morning and start to properly pressure them, and give them a deadline to get it to me before I'd be wanting my money back. I didn't have to do that though as I got a dispatch note yesterday evening around 5.30. I was expecting to have to wait another week as I'd chosen 7 day economy shipping, but I just got a message from my girlfriend saying that there's a big Dell box waiting for me at her office. So I'm guessing "7 day economy shipping" actually means "next day shipping we're lazy bastards so it might take 7 days for us to actually send it".

So, assuming that when I get the box open it's going to be legit and in full working order and not just a box of bricks, I have managed to pick up a U2412M for £205 which is a cracking deal.

I look forward to watching my ageing 8800 GTX poo poo the bed this evening when I actually try and run any games at that res, and then having to wait a month to get paid from my new job before I can buy a new one.

This is a beautiful monitor.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I've got a couple of questions about the U2412M (which I'm extremely pleased with, so thanks for the recommendations):

1. Are there any obvious tweaks I should make to the out of the box settings? I'm mostly just flipping between the presets at the moment because really I know poo poo all about colours and monitors etc. I'm probably not going to splash out on one of the full on calibration kits with a colorimeter, and I'm not sure whether I should go with the ones that involve you eyeballing stuff and changing settings, as they seem to rely on personal perception, and I don't think I'm a very good judge of that sort of thing. I found colour profiles on the disc that came with it, but I'm not sure what I'm meant to do with them.

2. On the subject of the presets: are these good are they just a bit of a gimmick? I've been using the Text setting for studying and I like that it dims things a bit, and pretty much the Standard setting for everything else. I tried the Game one but it basically just seems super-bright, although it does look nice. Why is the Movie one so blue looking, is this how films are meant to look? And what's the "Multimedia" one meant to be used for?

Either way, it looks great so none of these things is really an issue, just curiosity mainly.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
You can also get one off Amazon for that price most days http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Ultrasharp-U2412M-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B005LNDPPS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334667712&sr=8-1

(not having a pop at you Steakandchips, just thought if that's an unusual price for it, people might like to know)

chippy fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 17, 2012

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Does anyone know of a monitor arm that can clamp on to a vertical bit of your desk? I don't have desk space for secondary monitor since getting my U2412M but I'd like to have one. All the arms I've looked at seem to clamp onto the horizontal top of the desk, but my desk has a panel on the back which would prevent this.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Okies, will do later when I can take one.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
So all DisplayPort cables are the same right? Gold connectors etc are meaningless because it's digital?

What about this? http://www.necdisplay.com/documents/Miscellaneous/DisplayPort_Notice.pdf

The tl;dr of that link is that some "3rd party" DisplayPort cables have 1 pin connected up in a non-standard way that can stop your PC from booting - some guy on an Amazon review was bitching about it. Is this a real thing?

I know that PDF file says it's to do with DisplayPort to Mini displayport cables, but the guy was bitching about it in a review on a standard DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Thanks guys. I just picked a cable at random and ordered one in the end (avoiding the one with the bad review for that issue), since I had absolutely know way of telling which were standard-compliant and which weren't. Hopefully it'll work.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Not sure if this is 100% the right thread for this, but I figure someone will know. I've been thinking of plugging my 360 into my U2412M. It only has DVI and DisplayPort, but you can get cheap HDMI -> DVI/DisplayPort adaptors, can't you? And the 360 has options to select a 16:10 output so that shouldn't be an issue, I presume it just adds bars. The question is, what do I do about sound? Won't the Xbox still be sending the sound over HDMI? Do I need to get some sort of breakout box to plug the HDMI cable into that splits the audio/video signal or something?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

DrDork posted:

Assuming your XBox is one of the newer ones with a dedicated HDMI port, it's easy. You just need to pick up something like this to allow you to output audio as an optical or RCA signal. That way you can do HDMI out for the video, use a cheap HDMI->DVI adapter to the monitor's DVI in port, while routing the audio separately to whatever speakers you plan on using. If you have an older XBox without a dedicated HDMI port, you're going to need a substantially more expensive conversion box, like this one, in which case it's almost cheaper to just sell your old XBox, buy a newer one, and skip the adapter.

Ahhh ok, so you just use the HDMI out AND the standard X-Box AV out, I see. For some reason, I just assumed that plugging something in one would disable the other, like when you plug headphones in a laptop and it disables the main speakers.

In that case I might not need to buy anything. I'm pretty sure the X-Box has an HDMI out and I'm pretty sure that our regular XBox AV cable goes to red, white and yellows, so I should just be able to use the red and whites for the audio. Thanks.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Well that sucks, I just ordered a DisplayPort cable for my U2412M.

Could this be anything to do with it?

http://www.necdisplay.com/documents/Miscellaneous/DisplayPort_Notice.pdf

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I feel faintly ridiculous asking this question, but can someone recommend me a DisplayPort cable that definitely fits in a U2412M (that I can order in the UK)? I got one but there's a really chunky plastic housing round the connector that butts up against the plastic surround on the ports on the back of the monitor, and stop it going in far enough to work.

I would just look myself but I seem to be cursed - the first one I ordered, the idiots sent me a HDMI cable instead, and the second one is this non-fitting monstrosity.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

chippy posted:

I feel faintly ridiculous asking this question, but can someone recommend me a DisplayPort cable that definitely fits in a U2412M (that I can order in the UK)? I got one but there's a really chunky plastic housing round the connector that butts up against the plastic surround on the ports on the back of the monitor, and stop it going in far enough to work.

I would just look myself but I seem to be cursed - the first one I ordered, the idiots sent me a HDMI cable instead, and the second one is this non-fitting monstrosity.

coffeetable posted:

Assuming you're never gonna see it, grab some sandpaper and go nuts.

To be honest, even if it's where I can't see it, I don't really fancy sanding/filing/dremeling my lovely few-week-old monitor. :) Can anyone else assist?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Eh, I guess I could give it a go. It does need to be considerably less smaller in order to fit though and I don't know how thick the plastic housing is until I start to hit wire, or circuit, or whatever's in there.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yeah, I'll give it a bash. It is frustrating though, and although the cable I'm trying is abnormally large I think, it looks like it would be a problem with quite a lot of cables, due to the positioning of the port on the monitor. I'd be interested to know if anyone else with a U2412M has had any problems like this?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Josh Lyman posted:

However, it seems that getting a Korean will be fantastic for HD video and gaming.

Surely 1920 x 1080 is best for HD Video, as then there's no scaling?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Is calling monitors "1440p" and "1200p" etc. a thing now? I always thought 720p and and 1080p were marketing terms to sell HDTVs. Doesn't the p mean progressive? If that's the case, surely all computer monitors are "p"?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

HalloKitty posted:

HDMI to DVI cables can be had for a pittance.. but that won't fix the problem. The 360 will output 1920x1080, tops, and the Korean specials lack scalers from what I've heard, so at best you'll get a little picture in the middle of the screen.

I'm pretty sure you can set the 360 to output in 16:10 and it will just add bars itself where necessary.

edit: Just googling, you may have to use the VGA cable for this though.

chippy fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 7, 2012

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Ah, of course. I forgot the Korean monitor's were larger res than that.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Do we have a thread for projectors anywhere?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Verizian posted:

£332 for overnight delivery pretty much seals the deal.

You're looking at the price excluding VAT, it's £399 with it.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I want to hook up a PC with only DVI ports up to a TV with a HDMI port to use as a media centre. Will this work with one of the cheap passive pin adaptors or not?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Pretty sure, yeah. It's an old card, an 8800GTX. I'm pretty sure it just has the 2 x DVI ports on it. Lack of sound is no issue, I can just hook up some speakers to the sound card, I think the TV might actually have line-ins on it. I prefer separate speakers to using the weedy built in ones you normally get on TVs anyway.

I thought it was possible but I read this on http://compreviews.about.com/od/video/a/HDMI.htm:

quote:

In addition, while a monitor with a DVI connector can connect to a HDMI graphics port on the computer, a HDMI monitor cannot connect to a DVI graphics port on the computer.

So I thought I'd check with you guys, I don't have the TV yet (but I don't have a choice over which I'm getting, it's second hand, I'm just waiting for it to turn up), so I thought if I was going to need to buy a newer card for it with HDMI out I could do it in advance.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yeah, I thought it sounded suspect. Thanks for clearing it up.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I just resurrected an old machine as a media centre to plug into a cheap, crap LCD TV in my living room. The TV manual says the native res is 1366 x 768, but Windows is recommending 1280 x 720. Any thoughts on why the disparity, and which I should use? Picture seems to look clearer at the res Windows is recommending, although it's a little fuzzy on either. Also at the native res I seem to be losing a little off the sides of the screen, and I can't find an overscan settings in the TV menus.

I think I'm answering my own question here.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

PirateDentist posted:

I had the same issue with a crap no name TV, use what looks best and don't worry too much about it. When I got a brand new Sony it worked perfectly. Cheap sets really don't care about the VGA input it seems.

Cheers for that, that's what I'm gonna go with.

Incidentally, while I'm here - the card's an 8800 GTX and I'm using a DVI to HDMI cable to plug it into the HDMI input on the telly. I'm getting a huge amount of horrible white noise out of the telly - the same sort of noise you get if you plug speakers into a crappy badly shielded onboard soundcard and turn them up really loud, but MUCH louder. I've ended up having to just mute the TV and plug speakers into the computer separately. Anyone know why this might be? How on earth does a digital audio signal end up with this sort of interference? I'm not even sure an 8800 GTX can send sound over DVI, and the computer is certainly not sent to use it as a sound device, so I have no idea where it's coming from.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Any stand-out Prime Day deals on Amazon UK for a 27" 1440p display? I've only just started looking into it so I'm not that familiar with models etc at this point to spot them. 144hz+, don't think I want curved, not sure about IPS vs VA. Primary uses are gaming and coding.

e: G-Sync, or at least compatible.

e: Are there any tradeoffs associated with getting a G-Sync compatible FreeSync monitor as opposed to one marketed as G-Sync or is it all the same now?

chippy fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 12, 2022

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

SuperTeeJay posted:

The PG279QM is £680 rather than £800!

I'll get right on that :imunfunny:

Thanks for the G-Sync info folks

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I would really like some advice picking a monitor. I've read the the OP but still have a few things I'd like people's thoughts on. I'm work from home full time as a developer and game a lot in the evenings so gaming and coding are the primary uses. Oh, and a bit of music production and (even less frequently) occasional video editing. My graphics card is an RTX 3080.

Budget-wise, probably 300-400 GBP but I'd go up to 500 if there was good reason.

Stuff I'm reasonably sure about :

Size - pretty sure I want 27". I want something bigger than the 24" I have currently, but I think anything beyond that is going to be impractical in terms of viewing distance and desk space.

Resolution - pretty sure I want 1440p. I've considered 4K but I'm not sure if you can really tell the difference at that size and, for gaming, I'm more interested in frame rates, smoothness and responsiveness than res. Thoughts? If you think I should get 4K I'd be interested in hearing why.

Refresh rate - Something high? 144Hz is probably enough I think.

Stuff I'm not so sure about :

G-Sync / Freesync - Not 100% sure what I'm looking for here. There seem to be very few fully native G-Sync monitors, and they are more expensive. But I gather than FreeSync monitor are compatible these days? Is that right? Are there are any tangible drawbacks to using a non-native G-Sync (but G-Sync compatible) monitor with an Nvidia card? Is it worth spending the money? Would appreciate advise on this.

Panel Type - I'm guessing for my budget, it's going to be some variant of IPS right?

HDR - Seems from reading this thread it's not worth it as this price point. Is that right?

Curvature - I don't think I want a curved one but a lot of them seem to be, so am wondering if I'm unnecessarily restricting my options. I can see why it's good for gaming, not to so sure about coding etc. Also, in a previous job I worked in an office where we have ultrawide curved monitors and they have this annoying effect where, when moving my head, I would see sort of vertical lines strobing. Not a great description but hopefully you know what I mean. I found it pretty irritating. Is that a common thing or a problem with certain panel types or something.

I think that's about it. Interested in everyone's thoughts. Especially if anyone just wants to give me a solid "buy this, you'll be happy" recommendation, because honestly researching all this sort of stuff drives me mad, I just go round in circles and never make a decision.

Bonus points: Something I can just order on Amazon UK and have it hear next day would be great.

chippy fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 25, 2023

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I have a couple more questions based on these:

- There seem to be very similar models/variants of the LG 27GP850: LG 27GP850-B, and LG 27GP850P-B. Are they all basically the same, slightly newer versions etc.?

- LG 27GP850 apparently has a VRR range of 60-180Hz for Geforce cards. GIGABYTE M27Q apparently goes down to 48Hz. What happens if your framerate drops below these ranges? You get tearing again? In that case, it seems better to go for the one with the wider range. The Gigabyte one will apparently do frame-doubling below this range. Although that is described as "AMD low framerate compension" so maybe it only works with AMD cards? Any idea if the LG one does something like this? Or do all VRR monitors do something like this when outside the range?

Thanks again!

edit: OK, according to https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg#:~:text=need%20with%20LG.-,Lineup,-LG%20offers%20three, looks like maybe the P just means 2021, and the -B just means it's in black. My VRR questions still stand though.

chippy fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 26, 2023

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

RTINGS reports a 20 - 180 fps range for g-sync on the 27GP850. I believe the monitor does frame doubling/tripling when it drops below 60. So the refresh rate will never drop below 60hz, but VRR still functions under it. The M27Q also supports VRR down to 20fps or even lower, reportedly, also through frame duplication. I don't believe there's any tangible difference between these monitors' VRR implementations, even if the M27Q can technically hit a lower refresh rate. That just means that frame duplication starts at 47fps instead of 59fps. This works on Nvidia cards as well as AMD cards.

The different models of the 27GP850 are just minor variations, as far as I know. Maybe some slight differences in chassis design, built-in RGB LEDs, USB ports, etc. It shouldn't be anything that affects the panel.

I just found Nvidia's own compatibility list, and that says bottom end of 60 for the 27GP850. Presumably that's more likely to be correct than RTINGS.

But if I'm understanding, you're saying that if the monitor is doing frame double/tripling below 60, the difference between that and the monitor doing actual VRR <60Hz is not actually perceivable? So effectively it is doing VRR down to 20, just via frame duplication as opposed to truly matching the refresh rate with the framerate?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Breetai posted:

is there any reason I would want to aim higher/could be satisfied with 60HZ?

I bought a new gaming PC with an RTX 3080 about a year ago, and up until this week was using it with an old Dell 60Hz 1920x1200 monitor. I finally got around to getting an new monitor this week, 1440p, 165Hz, G-Sync compatible. I ran everything with V-Sync on before because I hate tearing, and now I'm using G-Sync with a 165 FPS framerate cap. I'm not sure if it's down to the increased framerate, or the decreased latency, or both, but HOLY poo poo it feels like I upgraded my entire computer. Games, especially FPS, feel amazingly smooth and responsive now. The controls feels so tight and snappy. It seems obvious now, but I had no idea my old monitor was bottlenecking the performance (or at least perceived performance) like that.

p.s. Thanks for the recommendation Dr. Video Games 0031, you certainly earned your username.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

lih posted:

OLED should only be considered if you're only using the monitor for gaming (not work or web browsing or anything)

Why is this? Burn-in?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
If a monitor has a built-in overclock that you can activate through a menu option, are there any potential downsides to turning it on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Elman posted:

I bought a LG 27GP850-B and I'm really happy with it except right after you turn it on it has some subtle vertical scanlines for a minute or two. They quickly go away and it's perfectly fine after that. Is this normal?

I have one and I can't say I've noticed such a thing, although I never turn it fully off and just leave it on standby to come on when my computer does. Just turned it off and on again and didn't notice anything like that.