Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I'm looking at upgrading. I have been using cheapo TN 24" or 22" non LED monitors for the past 5 years or so (both going at the same time now actually). Now I have a good job and I get paid well, so I am looking at upgrading to a 27" IPS panel. I think 30" would be too big, as it is only sitting on a desk in front of me, and not a particularly deep desk at that. Anyone with a 30" panel disagree that it is too big for a reasonable sized desk?

Would be using it mainly for gaming, web usage, office stuff for work/uni and the occasional movie. I can appreciate good black levels and good colour reproduction, but I won't be working with photos or video editing too much - maybe the odd thing, but nothing serious. Inputs are not important. As long as it has DVI/HDMI I am fine. Don't need USB hubs or S-video or speakers or any of that crap. Just a nice screen.

Is the Dell U2711 still recommended for this size? The Apple 27" display also looks nice, but it is also a fair bit more expensive - $1199 vs $899 from their respective Austrailan web stores. Yes, I can afford it, but if there's not that much difference I won't bother.

Also, I am in no rush. Do Dell often do sales on their web stores? At the moment I can see the U3011 is $340(!) off from $1699 to $1359 and the U2312HM is down $25 from $269 to $244. I could wait for a sale for the U2711 if they do this kind of thing often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Vidaeus posted:

I'm looking at upgrading. I have been using cheapo TN 24" or 22" non LED monitors for the past 5 years or so (both going at the same time now actually). Now I have a good job and I get paid well, so I am looking at upgrading to a 27" IPS panel. I think 30" would be too big, as it is only sitting on a desk in front of me, and not a particularly deep desk at that. Anyone with a 30" panel disagree that it is too big for a reasonable sized desk?

Would be using it mainly for gaming, web usage, office stuff for work/uni and the occasional movie. I can appreciate good black levels and good colour reproduction, but I won't be working with photos or video editing too much - maybe the odd thing, but nothing serious. Inputs are not important. As long as it has DVI/HDMI I am fine. Don't need USB hubs or S-video or speakers or any of that crap. Just a nice screen.

Is the Dell U2711 still recommended for this size? The Apple 27" display also looks nice, but it is also a fair bit more expensive - $1199 vs $899 from their respective Austrailan web stores. Yes, I can afford it, but if there's not that much difference I won't bother.

Also, I am in no rush. Do Dell often do sales on their web stores? At the moment I can see the U3011 is $340(!) off from $1699 to $1359 and the U2312HM is down $25 from $269 to $244. I could wait for a sale for the U2711 if they do this kind of thing often.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any feedback for me from the last page as I seem to have gotten missed?
i.e. Is 30" too big for gaming/web/office stuff on a normal desk and are the Dell ultrasharps still the go to model for 27" or 30"?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

rapeface posted:

Okay, I just got a U3011 but I'm having some issues with the clarity. Specifically, I'm getting some "graininess". For example, a normal explorer window isn't a flat expanse of white, but multiple points of brightness. This is in comparison with my Dell 24wpfl

I'm using Dual Link DVI (based on the cord and OP) and a quick google didn't reveal anything. I ran the self-diagnostics and didn't notice anything. Am I just crazy and just not used to it? Is it an issue with not using Displayport instead? Everything else is fine, except for flat, light colour backgrounds. Is it possible my video card is too poo poo? (using a 4850 or 4870, waiting on the 7850s).

I just got a U3011 yesterday and I think everyone else here has it right about the anti-glare. However, it is a beautiful display and is HUGE - in a good way. Takes a while to get used to the hugeness. Going from cheapo 19" - 22" TNs for the past 7 years or so to this thing is like being able to see again. I should know as I got my eyes lasered a couple years ago from terrible vision (-4.00 sphere in both eyes for anyone that knows what that means) to better than 20/20.

Also, "7850s" as in plural? How much are they worth for two? I bought a 7970 to power the Dell, haven't really had much chance to put it through its paces yet, but I tried Mass Effect 3 on 2560x1600 with everything on and it was buttery smooth with everything on max.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Factory Factory posted:

ME3 is silly undemanding. If you had turned off VSync and the internal frame limiter, it was probably running at over 200 FPS even at full resolution with driver-forced 4x MSAA.

What can I try for a good workout? I had to turn a bunch of stuff off for Witcher 2 on my old 5870 at 1920x1200. Also Skyrim I suppose, had to turn a bunch of stuff down on that for it to run 30fps+ all the time. Didn't have much time to muck around with it yesterday. Modern Warfare 3 ran pretty nice previously so it can't be too demanding.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Sorry if this is covered in the thread, but couldn't see it in the OP or in the last page.

Are there any OLED monitors that are in the 24-32" range, preferably geared towards gaming? The only ones I could see are the gigantic ones like the Alienware 55" monstrosity or small ones like the ASUS 22" Proart

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I work from home permanently and I'm looking for a new Ultrawide 49" monitor for work and games. My ideal criteria are:
  • 5120 x 1440
  • 120Hz refresh or higher
  • HDR of some sort (don't know the difference between the different specs? HDR1000, HDR10+??)
  • DVI & Displayport inputs
  • a couple USB ports

There's not too many monitors that fit this critera, from what I can see. Prices are in Australian $
1. SYSC49RG90 Samsung 49" CRG90 Curved QLED DQHD Gaming Monitor $1797
2. LC49G95TSSEXXY Samsung49" G9 QLED Gaming Monitor with 1000R Curved Screen $2499 Currently 15% discount when bundled with external SSD via Samsung store
3. LC49RG90SSEXXY Samsung 49in DualQHD VA 120Hz Curved HDR 1000 FreeSync2 Gaming Monitor $1799 I notice the model number is different to the above and it's a fair bit cheaper, and 120Hz not 240Hz, but not sure of any other differences?
4. AOC AGON AG493UCX DQHD 120Hz FreeSync HDR Curved 49in Monitor $1599

I'm leaning towards 3 - any consensus or any other recommendations?

EDIT: I think I've just realised 1 & 3 are the same from different suppliers.

Vidaeus fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 22, 2021

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Ah, that's great advice about the VA panel - thank you both. Also, yeah I'm fine with Display port & HDMI. I'm currently using a Dell 30" Ultrasharp U3011 which is IPS, didn't realise the VA's were so inferior.

In that case I'd be happy to drop down to 60Hz and look at the two IPS Options
U4919DW Dell Ultrasharp 49 $1965
49WL95C-W LG 49” DQHD UltraWide IPS Monitor with HDR10 $2199

Leaning towards the Dell just because I already have one, and it's $200 cheaper

My two main inputs will be:
  • Work laptop - using USB-C / Thunderbolt to DisplayPort cable
  • Gaming PC - Geforce GTX 1080 (currently using DVI-D to drive the Dell U3011, but looks like it has HDMI 2.0b)
So I should be able to drive either the Dell or the LG with the above?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Paul MaudDib posted:

tbh I wish I could justify the 38GN950 though, the 4K cine aspect of it is VERY desirable imo and I don't really care about 160 hz vs 180 Hz, if the step was a bit more reasonable (like, at least under $1500) I'd probably have gotten the 38" instead. I'm fine with it being slightly less extremely superfluous in high-framerate gaming, but having a cool fringe benefit in a lot of cine content. Solve poor contrast the goon way by watching alone in your darkened basement.

Oh man, I'm leaning towards the 38GN950 now as I think the 49" will be too big/too curved for my desk.

$2399?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Are you SURE your 1080 doesn't do displayport? Graphics cards by that point usually had displayport outputs. Pictured here is a 1080, the leftmost and right two ports are displayport:

edit: Also yes, I want to make clear that even though I said that the neo g9 is the only one that does "true hdr" (it gets very deep blacks with very little light haloing), the G9 is capable of producing better-than-SDR visuals. I would expect properly mastered HDR content to look nice on it still.

Oh, I knew my 1080 also has DisplayPort and HDMI, it's just that I already have a USB-C/Thunderbolt to DisplayPort cable so was thinking of using that for my laptop input, as the monitors only have 1 DisplayPort input.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Paul MaudDib posted:

if the price for the 38GN950 ever comes down significantly I'm going to be sorely tempted. I'm a prime candidate for a 42" OLED too (nice big table for a desk, and I can wall-mount) and I suspect that's going to happen first, and probably cheaper than the 38GN950 to boot. Or a living room TV upgrade ($900 monitor, $150 chinesium 4K30 TV with backlight zones like checkerboards :pcgaming:).

But having the ultrawide format is cool, I've gotten used to having more horizontal space and it's nice now. I know I'll probably care less about letterboxing with pure-black OLED but it also does give you a comparative size advantage on ultrawide content - a 38" playing ultrawide cine content is gonna be a bigger screen than a 42" OLED letterboxing 21:9 to 16:9.

The one caveat though is IPS (really everything except OLED and maybe TN) is rear end on bleed + black uniformity. If you love watching star trek or some other mostly dark show make sure you're comfy with that. The OSD backlight setting is usually way too high from the factory and brightness exaggerates bleed/uniformity problems, but it's all rear end, and it's not a "bad sample", every single sample just all have defects to some degree or another. VA has tons of bleed/uniformity issues too - even the Odyssey G9 Neo gets a "poor backlight uniformity" review from RTings - on a $3k monitor lol. But that's the achilles' heel of LCDs generally and IPS specifically, glow and uniformity. Especially on my OG X34, content had a glorious brown edge tint in black loading screens/etc (noticed it all the time in witcher 3). Never noticed it once you got playing but lmao LCD monitors are such trash, and the "premium monitor" market is such a loving racket.

Bet in a year or so you can buy a 42” OLED for less than the 38GN950. Yeah the 48” started a little more expensive than the 55” but it’s down to $1300 already, bet the 42” won’t launch over $1500 tops, maybe $1300 or so (match 48”?) and they always go on sale at Black Friday. And the 38GN950 will probably still be over $1500 USD lol. So there’s a pretty solid chance imo that I just go straight from 34” to OLED, for less money. Suuuuuch a loving racket lmao.

I’ve just noticed the Dell Alienware AW3821DW is $750 off on the Aussie store from $2499 to $1750.

https://www.dell.com/en-au/shop/alienware-38-curved-gaming-monitor-aw3821dw/apd/210-axni/monitors-monitor-accessories

How’s that in comparison to the 38GN950? rtings review seems pretty good

I’m ok with IPS as I’ve had my Dell U3011 for like 10 years now.

I know how much better OLEDS are as I have 2 OLED LG TVs but they’re just too big for office and PC use

Vidaeus fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 22, 2021

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Paul MaudDib posted:

rtings:

so it looks like they're both LG panels inside, the LG one might be a slightly newer/better model.

bear in mind that the LG also may be able to overclock in HDR mode - if you enable HDR10 that eats extra bandwidth meaning you go from 144 hz native to 120 hz native, and the 160 hz the LG gets with 8-bit mode is technically an overclock. I'm not sure if, by implication, whether the LG can overclock in HDR10 mode (maybe to 144 Hz?) but the Dell doesn't seem to have an overclock mode.

but broadly speaking they are generally the same "design" for the monitor and just have slightly different capabilities around the edges. If it's $600 extra to get the LG... yeah probably not worth it then.

I ended up pulling the trigger on the Alienware AW3821DW and got an even steeper discount from Ebay (listed by the official Dell store). They had it listed for around $1800 AUD and then ebay had an additional 20% off ebay voucher which brought the price to $1500 AUD. So ended up being $1000 AUD cheaper than the LG 38GN950!

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I posted about my purchase of the Dell Alienware AW3821DW a few pages back, and now it's arrived and I've set it up. I'm currently exploring different options to hook up both my personal gaming PC and work laptop to be able to drive the display well. The display has 1x display port and 2x HDMI. My current setup is:
  • Display Port - gaming PC to drive at native res 3840 x 1600 @144 Hz
  • HDMI - work laptop (only outputs HDMI 1.4) and can only drive native res 3840 x 1600 @ 30Hz

I can swap it around so that the laptop drives via display Port (via USB-C (Thunderbolt) to Displayport cable). However, then I'm limited to 85Hz on my gaming PC (GPU is a Geforce 1080).:
  • Display Port - work laptop at native res @85Hz
  • HDMI - gaming PC at native res @85Hz

Any suggestions on how I could keep my gaming PC still driving at 144Hz and at least get the laptop to 60Hz? Are there any viable options such as:
  • USB-C / Thunderbolt to HDMI 2.0
  • DisplayPort switch
  • Some sort of USB dock that supports HDMI2.0

Should add the laptop only has HDMI 1.4 and USB-C(Thunderbolt) as potential options, no Display Port

Vidaeus fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Vidaeus posted:

I posted about my purchase of the Dell Alienware AW3821DW a few pages back, and now it's arrived and I've set it up. I'm currently exploring different options to hook up both my personal gaming PC and work laptop to be able to drive the display well. The display has 1x display port and 2x HDMI. My current setup is:
  • Display Port - gaming PC to drive at native res 3840 x 1600 @144 Hz
  • HDMI - work laptop (only outputs HDMI 1.4) and can only drive native res 3840 x 1600 @ 30Hz

I can swap it around so that the laptop drives via display Port (via USB-C (Thunderbolt) to Displayport cable). However, then I'm limited to 85Hz on my gaming PC (GPU is a Geforce 1080).:
  • Display Port - work laptop at native res @85Hz
  • HDMI - gaming PC at native res @85Hz

Any suggestions on how I could keep my gaming PC still driving at 144Hz and at least get the laptop to 60Hz? Are there any viable options such as:
  • USB-C / Thunderbolt to HDMI 2.0
  • DisplayPort switch
  • Some sort of USB dock that supports HDMI2.0

Should add the laptop only has HDMI 1.4 and USB-C(Thunderbolt) as potential options, no Display Port

If it helps anyone else, I ended up buying a USB-C (Thunderbolt) to HDMI 2.0 cable for like $13. It just arrived and works perfectly on my laptop to drive 3840 x 1600 @ 85Hz. Gaming PC stays on displayport to drive 3840 x 1600 @ 144Hz