Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

So I bought a Westinghouse 37" monitor back around '07 when hardforum (really?) was raving about it and it had dropped to around $700 at the time. It's served me well since then with 15-20,000 hours of use but started to splotch a month or two ago so I got rid of it.

I am now using a 23" monitor for general use and gaming but I miss having the large screen. I know HDTVs are not good at this, and it seems most monitors now only go up to 30". Is there a brand that does 37-42" monitors, hopefully LED, for under 1k that goons would recommend?

kloa fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Coredump posted:

Seiki 4k 39" :getin:

:catstare:

I didn't realize 4k was gonna be that cheap so soon. I was looking at a Samsung H40B 40" 1080p but I may end up getting that instead with the 5 year warranty instead.

Also there's a "large format display" section on newegg that has what I'm looking for but hardly any reviews in any of them.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I think they're meant for offices to run 24/7 to display ads and such. I don't mind the lack of a tuner because it's only for gaming and desktop use. I'll probably order the Seiki you linked tonight and we'll see how it looks!

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Zorilla posted:

I'm considering getting a Seiki SE39UY04 39" 4k TV for use at the office strictly for web work (HTML, CSS, PHP, etc.) and light Photoshop use (converting web page PSD mockups and handling image assets--no critical photo work). A lot of the reviews for this TV were from when it cost around $700, but it appears to be down to $500 on Amazon. I don't foresee it going much lower than that anytime soon.

I've been using a couple Dell 2005FPWs which have served me well, but I have been considering upgrading since their backlight can barely keep up with the tons of natural light my office gets. Also, my home monitor's 1440p resolution has spoiled me.

At $500, I have no problem dealing with 30Hz or the lack of DPMS (standby) support. My question is: what is the least I can expect to spend on a video card that will do 3840x2160@30Hz over HDMI? Will anything with an HDMI 1.4/1.4a port do, or will I have to upgrade to something new-ish that likely costs $150 or more? I have a GTX 550 Ti with HDMI 1.4a output on my home PC that I could test it out with, but I figure the more information about hardware support I have, the better.

I just bought mine last week and got it in Friday and have been enjoying it since. You should be fine for coding even with an integrated chip like the HD 4000. It's definitely not an IPS monitor because when I sit close enough and move my head around you can see color/lighting shifts across the screen - maybe I'm just sitting too close and wouldn't perceive it >3ft away. If you need any other info let me know.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Zorilla posted:

For anybody else nutty enough to try out the Seiki SE39UY04 39" 4K TV as a monitor like I have, be advised that it appears to use an alternate subpixel layout, most likely BGR instead of RGB. This means Windows users will need to run the "Adjust ClearType text" wizard to get fonts to render properly.

All I did was turn sharpness to 0 and didn't have to adjust cleartype.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

4K is fine and dandy but let's be real. Until ISPs remove data caps, 4K isn't going to get any love soon.

My family back home (2 parents, 3 kids - 2 of them gamers) easily hit their 250gb cap between PS3, Netflix, Steam game downloads, and HD YouTube videos. I mentioned that Redbox instant was available to them since they use it so often, but then they're already hitting their cap and paying overages constantly that it's not really viable for them right now.

e: For content, I've been waiting for the WASD CODE keyboards to come back, but it's looking bleak. I thought about doing their customized keyboards but they don't have backlit keys. Is there an alternative company that does custom keyboards with backlits?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

FWIW I love my 39" Seiki for general computing/gaming @ 1080p.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I only have a 560 Ti, which doesn't go above 2560x1600, so I've just left it at 1080p until I upgrade. A friend bought the same monitor but he runs 2560x1600 @ 60fps and enjoys it (I can't seem to set it to this to test it).

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Your 560 Ti will be fine. It goes up to 2560x1600.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Are there any VESA mounts that I can attach to my desk that will hold the Seiki 39" (31 lbs.)?

Amazon has some Monoptice ones but they only go up to 30".

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

eggyolk posted:

This TV came in and works adequately. The 30hz refresh rate is the biggest nuisance followed by the higher than usual brightness, but for modeling in Solidworks and presenting concepts it does the job. The size and resolution make it feel identical to four seamless 24" 1080p monitors. I would never attempt to game on it though as it would cause major motion sickness.

I game on mine :shrug:

at 1080p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

iluvpr0n posted:

At work, I'm switching to working from home full-time. As such, I'm rewarding myself with a new monitor (to replace a 12+ year old Dell 20"er now). I'd thought dual screens would be nice, but after seeing the ultra-wide 34" Dell and LG, I'm thinking that would be mighty nice.

But... I'm currently using a "mid-2011" mac mini:

Is it feasible to use a huge 34" monitor with this thing? I found an old article and it seemed to say that the max resolution for Intel HD Graphics 3000 is 2560 x 1600 - is that true? How would that affect a monitor like this? I'd be using it for regular office work, photo/video editing, browsing, etc - not really for games.

(I've also got a 2015 Macbook Air, with an Intel HD Graphics 6000 as an alternative, but I'll be away sometimes and my wife would then be without a computer.)

Any advice?

Size doesn't affect frame-rate or anything, just resolution, so you'll be fine with it.