Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Is there any roadmap for display manufacturers? I'm interested in 2500x1600~ IPS displays @ 23/24 inches rather than 27/30. I prefer working on 2/3 monitors, and don't want to mix and match different monitors any more.

e: Potentially 120hz too, but I think it's going to be another 5 years before my dream monitors exists at a decent price.

ee: Or even cheaper 2500x1600 IPS displays or something. I want higher resolution :(

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Why the hell can't they put out a monitor with a tiny bezel all the way around. Even if that monitor was as good as a comparable dell IPS and cheaper, I don't think I'd bite if it had a gigantic bezel.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

MaxDuo posted:

I've been thinking of upgrading from my old old old CRT monitor finally when I move into a new place soon. I've been looking at reviews for a day or so and can't seem to figure out something I want.

I'm trying to get something 22-24 inches that I can use for gaming (I'm not a HARDCOREZ COD FPS gamer though, so I don't need it to be the lowest input lag possible), movies, general use, and occasional art stuff. I also want one that I can mount (or has a really awesome stand, rather than the near unadjustable crap most seem to always have).

Is there any way it'd be possible to find a good IPS monitor under, say $225, other than getting lucky on finding a used one somewhere?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005234

This too, but it's ugly as sin:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236122

(Open box)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236122R

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

sleepness posted:

and I would rather have the 200 dollars (I am not in extreme poverty). Bad move.

You downgraded from IPS to TN to save 200? Did you buy a 60 inch TN or something, what the poo poo.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Wedesdo posted:

Just bought my first 30 incher. Refurb Samsung 305T for $500. Yes, it's not IPS. But for $500, PVA is good enough. :)

Specs look good enough, and a fantastic price, but lots of complaints about the monitor breaking and bad customer support. Best of luck to you with it, I'm pretty jealous.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

gregday posted:

Anyone think $800 (buying second hand, 3 months old, no shipping/tax) is good for a 27" LED Apple Cinema Display? It's not one of the swanky new Thunderbolt ones, but my MacBook Pro doesn't have that anyway and I'm unlikely to upgrade to the new kind for awhile.

Refurbs are $850+tax from Apple, so it's a "decent" deal in that you're probably saving $100-130 after taxes on it.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Snazzy, does 600 moon money translate into $600? I've only seen euros get screwed when its $x= £x.

e: vv I know conversion rates, I've just never really seen products that get priced out in £ before USD. I do know that usually a product that sells for $100 USD sells for £100 screwing them, so I was hoping it'd work to our(my) advantage this time. Probably not 800-1000~ sounds about right.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 8, 2011

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

movax posted:

New HP IPS panels are coming, including a 27" model!

mmm $725 for 27 inch IPS goodness.. Does Hp deal ever have 20%~ coupons like Dell?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

londerwost posted:

I'm open to 22-26" monitors that are good quality and my price range is $200-$400 but would like to stay on the lower end of that range.

Is there any other monitors out there that have a low center of gravity and fit in this criteria?

http://slickdeals.net/f/3898780-Dell-Business-has-UltraSharp-U2312HM-23-1920x1080-IPS-for-229-Tax

$229 shipped IPS low center of gravity.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

movax posted:

It's an excellent display, there are many goons in this thread who have one, you should buy it.

That group buy looks interesting, I'm tempted to jump in one, play with it for awhile and then give to parents to show them why their Samsung 1080p TN 27" is so terrible.

I might jump in that group buy, I've been waiting for an IPS 1440p at a cheaper price point. How/why are they so cheap though (they say $230 usd, but $400~ if you import it)? Are there really almost $200 in import fees + shipping for a monitor?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

spanko posted:

Do those Achieva Korean monitors have language settings in the OSD menus? Is it all in korean or can you set it to english? I'm trying to figure out how feasible buying one of these things is and I'm not as worried about warranties and returns as I am about being able to change brightness/contrast.

Not worried about dead pixels?-- That's the main reason I haven't bought one yet. It'd probably be easy enough to find someone (maybe even on SA) who would tell you what the menu options said (or even just figuring it out through trial and error).

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

chippy posted:

Yeah, I think I'm just panicking over nothing. Here's the link though:http://dealforu.co.uk/epages/eshop330172.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop330172/Products/860-10161

I was a little dubious of the site but it seems to have generally good reviews.

They don't have any ratings on resellerratings, and they have very mixed reviews from various places. I wouldn't have ordered from them, but hopefully you'll be okay.

e: They have good ratings through amazon marketplace, but just hope you don't need to get a hold of their customer service.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

movax posted:

I'll try to update the OP this weekend with some updated impressions from goons, and add a section on our 27" Korean friend, thanks for the jumping on that Shadowhand00.

I also purchased a Catleap 27 inch ips, but it wont be here until mid next week. A $7.50 coupon off of an eBay purchase was enough to push me over the edge, who knew. :colbert:

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Shadowhand00 posted:

Also, this is a link to a PDF with Bulk Prices for these monitors. Just to show you how you're not being ripped off: (since shipping is about ~100 to and from Korea at the moment):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61830124/Spec.%20sheet%20for%20Shimian%20series.pdf

That's pretty interesting, I don't know what paypal fees are for powersellers (other than knowing they're lower) but I paid $363 for mine, so $250 + 100 shipping /fees... How on earth is this viable for them to do?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Trickyrive posted:

Great, thank you! Finally, did you need a transformer to make it compatible with US outlets?

You just swap the power cord with a standard US one (used for monitors, computers, PS3, tons of other things)-- the brick can handle the power conversion, but south korea uses a different outlet connector.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
My Korean 27 inch 1440P IPS monitor arrived today: 0 dead pixels/stuck pixels, no light bleeding, $371 shipped to the US.

Only "downside" is that I didn't get one of the ones that can unofficially support 97hz refresh rate.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Animal posted:

Where did you order?

eBay seller redcap or red-cap. I forget his exact name. My monitor arrived a few hours before my adapter I ordered from mono price.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Animal posted:

Ordered the Catleap for $370 shipped to Puerto Rico. A similar HP or Dell would have been around $100 for the shipping alone, so for me its a specially sweet deal. Hopefully it will be in good condition..

I'm not sure how thorough the customers for PR is, but some euros had to pay duties on it (most sellers mark it as $50-100 though so it's not too bad)

Best of luck in getting one with 0 dead pixels and no light bleed.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Tedronai66 posted:

It will but it might not do it at the same graphics quality your current monitor runs at.

loving hell, I wasn't planning on getting a new monitor, but a 27" IPS at this price is sexy as hell (would go from a 24" pva @1900x1200 and 21" ips @1680x1050 to one of these). Are these prices pretty consistent throughout the year? Going to have to wait and see what my Ivy Bridge/Kepler (Or southern islands) build costs me.

It looks like the monitors cost only $250 in South Korea and these are what they use in the gaming cafes there.. so I'd imagine not too much of a variance in pricing-- maybe it'll go up a little bit as they got a ton of orders due to overclockers/slickdeals/reddit/other forums.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Animal posted:

Doesn't bother me much to be honest, I expected some kind of imperfection, these displays must be, after all, rejects from what otherwise would sell for more than twice the price.

From what I have read about them, they are rated as A- quality meaning that upwards of 5 dead pixels (or 10?) are acceptable- as is some light bleed/color shift. They are still very excellent specimens, but they may be imperfect. Congrats on an almost perfect one!

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
It has a dual link DVI so it should work.

You can use any standard 3 prong AC adapter thing-- I just used the one that used to be connected to my old monitor. They come with computers, monitors, PS3, lots of printers, etc. Just buy whichever is cheapest shipped from amazon/monoprice if you dont have any extras.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

el_brio posted:

Do you mean just a standard power supply wire like on the PS3 etc? .

Exactly. It's got a power brick like a laptop and the cable that connects the brick to the wall is a Korean one, swap with the ps3 power cable and it's fine.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

el_brio posted:

Ordered a Catleap last night from dcsamsungmall. Woke up today and the monitor is in transit and has a delivery date of 3/26. Not bad considering that it is coming all the way from Korea. I live in Chicago and get stuff early sometimes since we are close to an air hub. It sure would be nice to get it in before the weekend.

I live in Chicago, and my monitor was in customs for way longer than it took to get from Korea->Alaska->(I forgot where was next)-> Chicago (Like 30 hours in customs).

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

spanko posted:

Well Animal and I both got the Catleap and its definitely not glossy. I would assume the Achieva Shimian is exactly the same with a different bezel and stand. The Crossover is definitely glossy, as you can see in the picture I posted from hardforums.

I think mine is closer to what you guys have. If it's off (or solid black) I can see some reflection, but otherwise, I don't see any reflecting going on.

Yamakasi Catleap.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Fatal posted:

It's kinda funny but I'm finding with my ZR30w it's actually too big for some games. Mainly CS and SC2, I don't want a massive 30" window to play a game (not to mention 16:10 in SC2 is a smaller viewport than 16:9) so I actually run in windowed 1920:1080 for those games. For the D3 Beta I've been running full resolution though and it's awesome.

I actually kind of like 1920x1080 with a browser on the side. It's like having two monitors but no bezel between the two.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Shadowhand00 posted:

You have to host pictures offline (imgur) in order to post pictures.

The Catleaps use the exact same panel as the HPs, Dells, and Apple Cinema displays. They don't have OSDs, they don't have a variety of connection (unless you pay $100 or so more), and they're used in PC Cafes in Korea. They're exclusively for the Korean market so the only way you could get one is through eBay or through a friend who's willing to ship it to you. Eitherway, it'd cost you price of the monitor (at least 200) +$100 shipping

They cost $225 for the cheapest versions unless you buy in bulk, and shipping is $100+ unless you drop ship which is like $75 /ea unless you're shipping a gently caress ton. They only make like $30-50 profit on each one, but then pay ebay and paypal fees, you're not going to get them cheaper elsewhere.

You get effectively no warranty, as shipping it back to korea isn't worth the cost, and unlike Dell, they wont swap it if you get backlight/dead pixels unless its really bad. The plus side is that the risks appear to be relatively low for something that's 50% off of the closest competitor.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

There is like.. zero chance of getting a U2711 for $300 right from dell. That monitor normally retails for $999, and you might see a dell sale that drops it to $800 something. Usually they run one set of sales for two weeks to a month and then switch it up again. Most people usually report being able to get a slightly better price during sales by talking to a salesman on the phone. If you really want a 27" IPS screen for 300$, your options are the korean model that the thread has spent the last 3 pages talking about.

He was asking to get it $300 off the regular price.

I just did a search on some deal sites and it looks like every 2-3 months it's possible to purchase it for $800~ (sometimes a little lower- lowest I see is $764 with a 10% coupon stacked)

The last sale that lowered the price of the 27 looks to have been in December, so it might be coming shortly.

(Last time the 25% worked on 27 inch looks to be late June, October, December)

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

thegasman2000 posted:

I love the look of these Korean Crossovers but can my Macbook Pro 13" (late 2011) power such a beast?

My 2011 macbook air has no problem driving it, but I had to purchase an active displayport-->dual link DVI adapter from monoprice (extra $67~). It plays games kind of at a slideshow framerate though, but movies/browsing/other actions are fine. You can also still run a game at 720p or 1080p and have room on the side for a browser or whatever else you'd like.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

yergacheffe posted:

I knew most of these cheap Korean monitors had no OSD, but when you say no buttons do you mean there's not even basic controls for contrast/brightness?

I have 5 buttons: Volume Up, Volume Down, Brightness Up, Brightness Down, On/Off

There are no speakers in the version I purchased, but the port and buttons are still there- they do nothing
The brightness controls do control the brightness, but there is no bar on the screen when it is pushed, only the brightness changes.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

yergacheffe posted:

Fake edit: One last question, is the backlight setting retained between power cycles of the monitor?

It is on the Catleap- and since they're all pretty similar to eachother, I'd say it's safe to assume that it is carried over.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Aquila posted:

I just ordered the Achieva Shimian 27". Just to be sure does it come with a dual link dvi cable? (the seller page seems to indicate it does).

e: Shimian not Catleap.

They do come with the cable.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
For a regular old TN monitor, just check out the deal sites every day and wait until you see one within your price range.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
http://slickdeals.net/f/4218760-Refurbished-UltraSharp-U2311H-23-inch-monitor-133-60-w-FS?token=AAYBBQAAAAAFO0BfiA

Sale over at Dell outlet

quote:

20% off any Refurbished UltraSharp U2311H 23-inch monitor! Enter 4J$098G$PXNVFV @ checkout:

$133 for a 23 inch IPS.

e: gone

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I'd buy an iPad 1 and an otter box. Stick the otter box to the wall however you please and run it that way. You can find them from $200 through websites (http://www.cowboom.com/product/812850)

I'd imagine even cheaper through craigslist or whatever.

You can use Plex, or Air Video, Netflix, Hulu+, pretty much whatever. If you want to future proof it a bit more, getting a used ipad 2 would ensure at least 2 years of updates/airplay mirroring or whatever other things you can think of.

e: Some photographers use this setup, but it's kind of expensive and I didn't think it was what you wanted:

http://www.amazon.com/Delkin-DDMOUN...&tag=acleint-20

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-244...&tag=acleint-20

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Fatal posted:

I'm down to throw in a few bucks to "rent" one.

Me too. Was next on my list of purchases but I'd be glad to save a little money.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

evilweasel posted:

Why are these Korean monitors only available on ebay? Why are there no normal distribution channels?

I think Microcenter sells one of the variants but it's close to $500.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

298298 posted:

Screw it I've talked myself into going 30", read all I can find in the thread about them except prices. What's considered a good price for a u3011 new and in warranty? Newegg is around $1,200, Dell itself is $1,499, why would anyone buy Dell at that price? Does Newegg's not have the same warranty? Or ebay'ing it for $600 from a reputable looking seller, does the warranty not transfer?

Create an account on Slickdeals.net if you haven't and set up a deal alert for the keywords: "Dell" "Dell U3011" and wait for a deal. They fall as low as $1000. It looks as if the last time was June, so I would expect something in August to show up if you can wait to save a few hundred.

e: And maybe combine it with this to save a bit more:
http://slickdeals.net/f/4924662-Dell-Gift-card-Buy-300-eGift-Card-Get-50-Dell-eGift-card-for-FREE

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 25, 2012

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
And display port.. Interesting- I might pick one up as a second monitor.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

EvilMuppet posted:

What the hell Green Sum? I got a notification saying my item was posted )with a tracking number) last week but another notification today saying they are waiting for stock from the supplier.

They're a drop shipper, as are all of the Korean monitor sales guys on eBay. They probably got a number of orders in, sent their payment, and were later told that there were not enough monitors to ship for a few days.

It happens, it sucks, but it's part of the reason they're able to offer such cheap prices. They don't actually have any monitors at hand/in storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Marzzle posted:

Any idea if a korean 27" will work with a macbook pro with a Intel HD Graphics 3000 chipset? Reading around seems to give mixed opinions on it only working with display port -> display port or possibly working with a dual link DVI adapter...

My macbook air has the same HD3000 and runs it just fine-- but I needed to buy an active dual link DVI adapter ($60 from mono price). Occasionally when turning on the monitor I need to unplug and replug the adapter back in as the image is static-- but I've seen reports of that with the Apple adapter as well.