Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What AA settings do you fancy dudes with 2k monitors use for gaming with current-gen releases, is just post-process FXAA generally good enough with a decent card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I'm also shopping for a new monitor and it seems like the main knock against TN is for video playback. But if I don't really watch a lot of Netflix on my PC and just wanna game, is there a more practical difference?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Okay welp, looks I'll just stick to IPS.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Any final thoughts on the Acer XB270HU vs. XB271HU? I don't intend to overclock so I would favor the first one, although some user complaints about dead pixels and RMA have me worried for such an expensive monitor. Just wanted to see if other people were rocking these for 2k gaming with gsync. I could have sworn I saw an ASUS model in the same range a few days ago but now it seems to have vanished.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

The XB271HU panel is a newer version. What that means practically, I don't know. Maybe response times are lower.

Also, apparently AUO is an Acer subsidiary. You'd think that the chances for bad panels are lower with Acer than Asus.

I ended up getting the XB271HU. So excited to pair this with my similarly expensive-rear end 980ti all for the privilege of not having stuttering frames. Conspicuous consumption at its finest!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Well that Acer XB271HU sure was really awesome until I turned my computer off, now the monitor won't display again. Reseated all the cables, turned power switch on and off, tried other monitors in the same wall socket that all work. I can't even get the little splash to display, the blue light comes on and I get a blank screen.

RMAing to Newegg, so frustrating. :negative:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Etrips posted:

Did you try a different DP cable?

I tried another power cable from my wife's machine and still got a blank screen. Even without a DVI plugged in I should have still gotten the monitor splash and settings screen. Instead I just get the backlight and a totally blank screen when I turn the thing on.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My defective XB271HU has me rethinking my priorities, in that maybe I would be happier with a G-Sync monitor that could blow every game away @ 144hz at 1080p than paying extra for 1440p on top of the G-Sync tax. Tomb Raider looked hella sweet for the couple hours I actually got to play though. :/

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

drat, I wonder why that is. To be honest my eyes seem way more sensitive to frame hitching and screen tearing than they are to 1080 vs. 1440 resolutions.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

K8.0 posted:

Don't RMA without calling tech support. I had a Dell monitor "die" on me once. Turned out it just needed to go through some extra-special double factory reset to make the board work right again.

I looked it up and it seems like this is a fairly common problem with the model, with all other user experiences being "called Acer and they just told me to replace it." So it's already on the way.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't know if it helps but I also run a pass of CCleaner right after using DDU just to catch anything left behind.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Still waiting on my XB271hu return to go through so I can get another one. Drive to play video games is going down the tubes now that I know how good they can look on my system. :negative:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Finally got my refund for the XB271hu and I noticed there are a few open box listings on Newegg. What are your experiences with open box purchases for monitors? I'm kind of leery now after I had to return my first one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Newegg, but as far as I could tell it wasn't their fault. Monitor just died overnight and never came back on.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm kind of annoyed that there is not a single monitor on the market that is IPS and 144hz and 1080p and G-Sync. There are TN monitors at that resolution, and really pricey 1440p ones that are IPS, but having experienced either extreme for myself I'd really rather have 1080p with a mega high refresh rate than the reverse.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If it's the XB241h then that's a TN panel, although it's so much fairer priced than some of the premium options that it seems pretty attractive. Seems to be out of stock everywhere though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

That's freesync. I don't know if these are comprehensive lists but they're handy for narrowing down your options based on the specs you're looking for. No 24" 1080p 144Hz IPS *sync monitors sadly. You'd think that would be a prime spot in the market but apparently not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_G-Sync#List_of_G-Sync-enabled_monitors
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_FreeSync#List_of_FreeSync_monitors

It seems like most manufacturers are betting on 1080p probably getting phased out in the next couple years, but to my eyes at least, pushing super high refresh rates on a card that's maybe a little overqualified for 1080p eclipses the better resolution.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Only 10 years before we can all look like dumb idiots in the name of fully immersive entertainment.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Anybody with an ASUS PG279Q want to offer their experience? After my first XB271HU was defective I'm curious if these have any better QC before I try another one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Amazon's got it for about $50 cheaper than their XB271hu offer right now and I have some gift money on my account still, so I thought I might roll the dice on it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

GokieKS posted:

Got an ASUS PG279Q. Minor weirdness with HDMI connection to a Mac aside (it gets detected as a TV and won't run at anything higher than 1080p), it's wonderful.

Ended up ordering one that just came in today. I love it so far, also way easier to set up and far less bulky than the Acer XB271hu.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

How do you mean bulky? I'm currently deciding between them two but the PG is about 200 dollars more expensive around my parts.

The Asus is a good 2 lbs lighter and didn't require any assembly right out of the box. Packaging was much slicker and the stand is a bit more compact. I don't think it's necessarily a $200 deal breaker though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

What are your thoughts on a single stuck pixel? I just got my ASUS PG279Q and it's absolutely perfect, minimal backlight bleed... but it's got one stuck magenta pixel in the bottom left quadrant of the screen. It's pretty much unnoticeable while gaming and only really shows up against a white (forums) background. Have tried lightly tapping it, pressure method, left JSS screen fix for a couple hours and all that, but it hasn't come unstuck yet. I believe only one stuck pixel falls outside of ASUS' replacement warranty and it shouldn't bother me except for what I paid on this monitor and the fact that I already refunded one other. Should I just learn to deal, find a more aggressive pixel unsticking method?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dear SHSC,

1. Why are all G-Sync monitors still so insanely expensive, and
2. Are they ever going to release a new line of IPS panels for the models currently out there?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Is there a recommended visual breakdown of "this is what an IPS panel looks like versus a TN" to see if the TN display would be enough of a dealbreaker for me? I've always used IPS panels on my own systems but I could work with TN maybe if the price is right.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

I bought a 144hz GSYNC Acer Predator and I can't really see the difference in games, even when they're running at 120fps. Is there anything I could be doing wrong? Maybe things seem a little smoother but it could just as easily be placebo the effect is so subtle. My resolution is definitely set at native/144hz in the Nvidia control panel. Am I supposed to be seeing some huge difference?

Edit: Using the DP cable from the box

In case this wasn't obvious, you have to disable VSync in the games that you play to take advantage of GSync.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Are they ever going to make new + updated panels for G-Sync monitors, or is that too much of a niche market?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah I wasn't even thinking about the 4k screens since they're so expensive lol, I was just hoping the selection at the 144h+ 1440p level would be more robust by now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

E: wrong thread!

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Nov 15, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

E: wrong thread!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Wow, and a quote is not edit! Not batting a thousand today. :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DrDork posted:

This. The higher resolution will make every minute you use the monitor a better experience; high-Hz will only matter when you're gaming, and only if you have the GPU to push it. For reference, 1080p@144 works out to about the same GPU requirement as 1440p@80.

If you got a 1440p high-Hz monitor but didn't quite have the GPU to hit >100Hz, you can always use the control panels to force smaller resolutions while gaming, like 1080p, effectively giving you the best of both worlds.

I agree 100% and think 1440p offers the current sweet spot between high resolution and high framerates (and totally not just because I'm trying to justify all the money I spent on a G-Sync monitor). Personally I don't notice ultra-high refresh rates, anything above 60fps all starts to feel the same to me, but the sharper textures and environmental details that come from 1440p gaming are super conspicuous. I also have a PS4 Pro and the fuzziness in games that are locked at 1080p even with supersampling makes that resolution begin to feel really outdated. And more PC games are increasingly begin to offer dynamic scaling options that temporarily downgrade resolution to maintain a consistent framerate, so if your system can shoot above 60fps in 2k most but not all of the time it can be a good option for you.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

UchihaHirou posted:

Since Black Friday is coming up, looking to get a replacement monitor (old one is on the verge of crapping out). I've never looked at monitors seriously, so could use some advice.

I have a GeForce GTX 980 Ti. I'm hoping to hold out for another 2 years before upgrading the whole system. What kind of monitor specs can this support? This would be for gaming.

The 980ti is a very nice card for 1440p gaming. Before replacing it I could reliably hit 60fps on most current gen games at or very near ultra, so Rise of the Tomb Raider, Soul Calibur 6, Overwatch, The Witcher 3, Far Cry 5, etc. with occassional dips in the places you'd expect. Only on this latest round of games (Shadow of the Tomb Raider, AC Odyssey) did it really begin to show its age, and even then a solid ~45fps with an adaptive sync monitor is nothing to be ashamed of.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

So recently I've been seeing the DigitalFoundry dudes and a couple other places start to hype up ultra-high refresh CRT monitors for the ultimate gaming experience. They argue that because games have reached a point where you can attain these high-fidelity images at super high framerates, CRTs are better equipped to handle moving images than 4k OLED displays even at lower resolutions with superior image quality. Is this just a pointless fad or should I really think about buying a 17-year old Sony Trinitron to play Control?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Now I'm reminded of why I switched over to LED monitors 10 years ago. My old CRT emitted a high-pitched screech that my wife could hear but I couldn't, and she bought me a new monitor so I'd get rid of it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I haven't been keeping up with monitors lately -- what's the latest panel that best matches my old ASUS ROG PG279Q (VRR/G-Sync compatible, 27", IPS, 1440p)? Hopefully at a much saner price point with better longterm reliability so that I don't have to fight against stuck pixels and burn-in. I'd settle for a simple VRR instead of G-Sync if that means it won't break the bank.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It’s got some dead/stuck pixels in some unfortunately conspicuous areas of the screen and has developed some greyish burn-in at the top left, now a year past warranty. Overall I’m unsatisfied with paying as much money as I did and want a safer option now that gsync is far more widespread.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's apparently a known issue with this particular monitor, horizontal streaks that appear after the monitor comes back from being powered off and gradually fade over time. Except mine seems to stay there for hours.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Is this the new monitor hotness that everyone is recommending? For some reason it's $150 cheaper to me than anywhere else I look (besides having to wait until October to get it shipped).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That's the one, go for it if you can. I'd see if you can find it from elsewhere for a similar price though, that seems like an awful long time to wait.

I can wait. My current monitor isn't broken, just very disappointing and I am a spoiled child.