Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

They're also DVI, and converting DVI to or from HDMI is trivial (but will only get you video either way).

This isn't 100% true, some video cards can output sound through their DVI ports if you're doing DVI->HDMI. Newer video cards that only have DVI and display port but no native HDMI ports should be able to.

I had no idea this was the case until I was connecting my TV to my computer with a DVI->HDMI cable and before I even connected an audio cable the TV appeared in the sound devices on my computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Im sure it has been asked a zillion times, but a 28 inch 4k monitor, is it hard to read text on one of those?

With no display scaling at default sizes? Yea, a lot of text is going to be really small.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Coredump posted:

Its two 20" 5:4 monitors side by side. Should be fine.

Another way of looking at it is that it is a 1080p 27" monitor with some cut off the sides., which really doesn't look great if you have used a 1440p 27".

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I have two Monoprice monitors. One had the power brick fail after ~2 years, easy enough to replace though cost $70. When I was looking into it, found quite a few other people having similar issues with them, though the Korean offbrands are using the same power bricks usually so you won't escape it there either. Monitors have been working great though.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Has anyone heard of a Korean or any cheaper offbrand 34" 1440p ultrawide yet? Really want to pick one of these up for work but the pricetag is still a bit painful. The non-curved LG one is down a hair under $800 which is better, though I am still not sold on if the curve is good or not.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Krailor posted:

Crossover makes a 1080p 21:9 monitor but I haven't seen any of the Korean brands with a 1440p model. My guess is that the production runs of these panels isn't big enough to provide enough b-stock to support a 3rd party market in them.

That's what I was worried about, really don't want to go down to 1080p. Being able to have someone else's 1080p monitor in only a part of my monitor in a remote session is really nice.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Just buy one of those Korean single-input panels then at that price.

A good tool

2560x1440 is 16:9 not 16:10 though, a 34" 1440p Ultrawide is literally just a 27" 1440p monitor that is 32% wider but the same height.

http://www.displaywars.com/34-inch-21x9-vs-27-inch-16x9

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
http://www.pcper.com/news/Displays/CES-2016-Monoprice-Announces-219-and-4K-Displays

$500 34" 1440p 75hz curved monitor from Monoprice, I am pretty excited about this. I am using two of their 27" 1440p ones right now, not the most amazing monitors but for the price they are really nice, and I expect this new one to be the same.

Also this could really help start the prices dropping for other brands.

EDIT: No mention of the panel though which is worrying.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 8, 2016

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Man, the refurb Acer 34" G-Sync monitors are back in stock on their eBay site, but now they want $1k for them. A brand new one is $1,242 on Amazon right now so the savings don't seem quite as worth it as when they were $750/800. Guess it depends how good with returns they are on refurb screens, all the backlight bleed issues make that important.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

ItBurns posted:

The Acer Predator XB271HU seems to be sold out in a few places and I swear Amazon raised the price $100 recently. I wonder if it's a coincidence or if that many people are upgrading because of the new nvidia cards.

I know that was the case for me. I managed to snag one at $700 on Amazon but they jumped to $730 and then $800 almost instantly after my order.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Make sure you bump it up to 165hz in the settings!

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The Predator x34 ultrawide is a beautiful monitor, but if you want ultrawide or not is a personal preference. Keep in mind some games will not work correctly with it, and the refresh rate is 100hz instead of 165hz like the non-ultrawide. I play a lot of Overwatch which has essentially no ultrawide support, so I went with the Acer Predator XB271HU and have zero regrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

I still can't believe that these ridic high refresh rate monitors make you palpably better at games unless you're like a 17yo amphetamine-chewing south korean as gently caress pro gamer. it seems like putting the cart before the horse somewhat, like investing in russian olympic blood-doping when you're trying to lose a few pounds for your wedding pictures as opposed to some earphones or running shoes

Playing PUBG after a video driver update last weekend it felt stuttery and hard to aim, game just would not run well at all even though my monitor said it was 165hz. I knew something was off though so after a single game I checked and Windows had reset my monitor to 60hz, so I was being locked at 60 fps in game. 60fps feels smooth right up until you are used to playing at 144+, and then you'll never want to go back. The game running smoother makes it easier to react quickly and act precisely, that's always been true.

And I am "old" at 33, no amphetamines chewing pro gamer here. Just a dude that likes his shooters. A better monitor won't magically make you a pro, but it will help a little, just like getting a better mouse, video card or whatever piece of your system.