Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007
What's the verdict on the Dell U2211H? I'm kinda interested in replacing my trusty LG L227WTG 22" gaming monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

LakesGuzzler posted:

For this reason I don't see why anyone would run with vsync *off*. The tearing is awful in many games. As the refresh rate is 60Hz anyway there's no benefit of having a higher framerate other than e-peen measuring ("I get 132 FPS :smug:") or am I missing something?

I can feel a tiny bit of input lag with Vsync / triple buffering on but would rather live with that than the pain inducing screen tearing.

I don't think the average user don't even know what vsync is; these are the same people that complain about CRT flickering when they can just simply increase the refresh rate by a few mouse clicks. And when LCDs hit, they run them at resolutions other than native and tell me it looks good. /facepalm.

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

Quanta posted:

Yeah, I realise that but I wasn't suggesting the sub-$1000 notebooks should all be kitted with IPS, but the higher end laptops like the Macbook Pros, Thinkpads, Vaios, etc. should be. We have a £400 iPad with an IPS display, and Samsung's IPS rival technology (PLS) is apparently even cheaper to manufacture.

I think with IPS monitors becoming cheaper and more popular, and most tablets using IPS or PLS, it won't be that far away until notebook manufacturers are urged to ditch TN displays in their higher end machines.

I won't even mind TNs for laptops if they were at least as good as those in Macbooks, but your average TN on a consumer laptop is truly bottom of the barrel garbage with no redeeming values.