Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I'm thinking of getting a new monitor this summer but it's been such a hassle to choose.

It's mostly a panel and input issue. I hook up my PS3 to my monitor, so HDMI is pretty necessary. I don't have enough space on my current desk for a second monitor so I can't just reuse my current one, so the new one pretty much needs to have the right inputs.

Currently, for TN, it's the BenQ XL2420TX vs the ASUS VG278H. I might just opt for the cheaper XL2420T since the 3D is mostly an extra for me rather than something I must have. I just don't really have much of an option for other panels at the moment. The U2410 is pretty much my only choice at the moment, but I've no idea how much an issue input lag will be. I'm also worried about stretching since it is 16:10. At least with the two TN monitors, I can go down to the local NCIX (Canadian here) and see if they have any on display.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

evilalien posted:

U2412 stretches to fill the screen while the U2410 can do 1:1.

Cool, thanks.

Priam posted:

If the only reason you're looking at the U2410 is pixel scaling/a hdmi input, buy the zr2440w instead, it's a much much better display for general use and has nearly twice the contrast as the u2410.

I'll take a look at it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Just got my HP ZR2440w. My first IPS and my first monitor with an awesome stand.

Haven't played any games on it yet though.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Is there an IPS monitor with component connections other than Dell's Ultrasharp U2410?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Welp, looks like my old secondary monitor is ready to conk out. I could just buy a cheap IPS replacement but I'd like to see if there's any good options for an upgrade and move my current primary to the side.

Any recommendations for a monitor suited for gaming that's 2560x1440 and IPS? Preferably with a height adjustable stand and HDMI and audio out. I've got a really dumb setup right now where I use my primary monitor for both PC and PS4, with audio-out connected to my speaker's line-in so I can watch/listen to the youtubes on my secondary monitor and have my PS4 audio at the same time.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Dogen posted:

Dell U2715h?

That looks good, though it's not coming down in price any time soon. May opt for U2717D instead, direct from Dell it's cheaper than third-party U2715H and Dell doesn't sell those anymore, at least not in Canada.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Dogen posted:

I've heard the 2717d is a bit of a letdown, also

Have you heard any specific details on that? What I read say that it's not worth upgrading from a U2715H but if you're opting for a new monitor, there's not a lot of difference between the two. There's a sale going on till the 21st so I might just opt for it.

Argas fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 17, 2016

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's a Samsung PLS instead of a LG AH-IPS but AFAIK there's basically no difference between those if you're just grabbing it for normal use. The response time's a little worse but I don't think it'll matter much for gaming.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

blah_blah posted:

I got my U2715H from Amazon for $450 last week, which isn't considerably different than what the U2717D is currently going for.

Off Amazon.ca? None of the listings I can see are remotely that cheap, and Dell's warranty would give me some peace of mind that sellers on Amazon wouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

How's the Dell U2913WM? Been keeping an eye on Dell's Canada shop and it's a good $250 cheaper than the U2717D. It's a bit older but larger screen and ultra-wide format is awfully tempting. Both have slightly less input lag than my current primary monitor (a HP ZR2440w) so I can deal with that. Hard to say whether I'd prefer more width over width and height though.

Currently leaning towards the U2717D since I feel like the higher resolution will end up mattering more to me in the long run.

Argas fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 19, 2016