Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BLOWTAKKKS
Feb 14, 2008

I'm looking at the U2311H but the resolution might be too high for me. The Dell 2209WA looks more like something I would be able to use, but it seems to be discontinued. Is there an IPS panel with 1680x1050 resolution anyone would recommend? That resolution seems to be the sweet spot for me with a screen around 20-23 inches, anything higher is too hard to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BLOWTAKKKS
Feb 14, 2008

Yeah, I'm using windows 7 on a 1080p TV right now and I increased the DPI. The OS looks okay, but some of the system tray and desktop icons look blocky. I've tried using Chrome and Firefox zoomed at 120% and it's big enough to read, but since everything is zoomed, images don't look quite as good as at 100% zoom. It's not the TV's fault either, I realize a TV does not make an optimal monitor but it's pretty good. It just bothers me that I have to zoom in to be able to read a 32 inch display. On a 23 inch display I would have to zoom in even more. I wish there was a way to get everything to be larger without the drawbacks of having everything look slightly shittier.

Then again, everyone seems to be happy with 1080p monitors. I don't use glasses and I have 20/20 vision. What the hell?

BLOWTAKKKS fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 13, 2011

BLOWTAKKKS
Feb 14, 2008

brainwrinkle posted:

How far away are you sitting from the TV? Remember that for normal desktop use you'll only be 2-3 feet away. I've never had any problems reading text on my 24" 1920x1080 monitor at default DPI, and I've got awful eyesight.

My face is about 2 1/2 - 3 feet away from the screen. I guess I could get a foot closer when I get a monitor.

On3moresoul posted:

Blowtakkks, I am in the exact same position that you are (though a bigger screen size).

I feel like a lot of websites just are not designed with 1080 in mind, most of the time everything needs to be increased in size about 20%-40%. I just deal with zooming in and out often (ctrl + mouse wheel has never been so useful), but wish we could get on a standard.

Yeah, having to mess around so much just to get things to be a reasonable size bugs me. I guess I just hate change since before I never had this problem. At least, other than icons, Windows 7's implementation of DPI changing seems to be better than XP's. Too bad using zoom in a browser screws up the images. And then if you just increase text size, the site will not look the way it was intended to.

BLOWTAKKKS
Feb 14, 2008

kuddles posted:

Are you sure it's not your television? You say it's not but televisions usually aren't built with the expectation of being monitors. Even some of the most high quality HDTVs on the market can lack a good DVI connection or not be very good at displaying crisp text because they're more focused on upscaling SD content or whatever. I have a 37" television but when I run my computer through it the text is certainly not as easily readable as it is on my monitor.

Also, remember that even with you increasing the DPI, the fact remains that every pixel on the screen needs to be bigger to fill 32", so by it's very nature the exact same 1080p image will look sharper on a 23" monitor.

I realize this. I never said anything about the text not being completely crisp, it's not. It's just way too small without increasing the DPI. I'll probably go for the 23 inch dell and play around with it, it just blows having to gently caress around to get readable text.

BLOWTAKKKS
Feb 14, 2008

I recently bought two Catleaps and while they're very nice displays, I have two issues with them. First of all, the colors don't match. One seems to be "warmer" than the other. Should I just use the Nvidia control panel to adjust them, or is there a better application I can use? I tried to get them to match but I can't quite get it right.

Secondly, each monitor has a small blotch on it. They aren't dead pixels as they are larger and they seem to be behind the display somehow. I dont really know how to explain it but they seem to be at a different depth than the pixels on the screen. What are they? Can I get rid of them?

I even tested these displays before I bought them but I was in a rush and they weren't noticeable on a dark backdrop.