Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!
Anyone familar with this Samsung monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-24001463-L0C

And how it compares to the U2311Hs? The specs look identical but alot cheaper in price. What's the good word?

Monitor will be used mostly for gaming, FPS and RTS the majority, maybe an MMO.

Yinzer fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!
So my U2311H hasn't shipped in about a month since I placed the order, and they estimate delivery to be until 4/4/2011. Should I call Dell to compensate for delay in order?

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

DrDork posted:

Yes. Or at least ask wtf is going on.

25 bucks off! :rock:

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm not sure what happened with the recent U2311H sale but I'm having the same problem, estimated ship date is 4/4/2011 and it'll be going on over a month at that point. They used to be so much better at this stuff, I got my U2410 in 3 days.

Give Dell a call at 1-800-624-9897 option 2. Ask to be compensated for the delay and they should give you some money back.

I think that recent sale depleted their stock, because I ordered mine when it was at 290.00 I believe. It's a popular monitor so I'm not too surprised how fast it got sold out.

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Just got the Dell U2311h last night, it's the A01 version. Love, LOVE this monitor, I'd buy two more if I had the money. It's perfect for my needs and is amazingly crisp and sharp.

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Look at the OP, the ASUS VG236H...is there one exactly like that but without the 3D crap?

Also my second question something like the ASUS VG236H but has composite (Red, Yellow, White) connections?

Thanks.

EDIT: also is there a similar model to the VG236H with speakers and a headphone jack?

EDIT2: This monitor will be used for console gaming only. Maybe PC gaming in the future, but for right now just console gaming.

I don't care about the price tag, of course gaming at 1920x1080. Would like the best possible one out there. Maybe under 500 dollars.

Also what's this about not getting 120hz on an HDMI cable?

Yinzer fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 2, 2011

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

Are you sure you mean all composite connectors? Because the red and white leads are for stereo audio only. Only the yellow cable carries the (horrible quality) video.

Maybe you meant component?

If you did mean composite, that's fair enough. My old Dell 2007wfp has composite as well as s-video (and vga, dvi). My U2410 has s-video, component, hdmi, dvi, displayport. There aren't a lot of monitors out there that give you a ton of inputs other than certain high end Dells, from what I've seen. I'm pretty sure all Dells are compatible with the soundbar, too. I have an ancient soundbar which still fits onto my U2410 and gets powered by it.

To get from the red and white phono jacks, you'd need a 2x phono to 3.5mm adapter, then a 3.5mm female to female barrel adapter. Then you'd be able to plug speakers into it.
Yes I meant composite. Basically I'm getting rid of my huge SDTV, that I played old games on, and moving it over to just a monitor that can do the composite connections.

But it's really no big deal, I'm looking for the best gaming monitor under ~500 dollars.

I would like it to have built in speakers too.

Animal posted:

VG236HE
Thank you for this. How would I be able to connect the Xbox 360 to that monitor by HDMI cable and still get sound on it?

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

DrDork posted:

Sadly, there aren't any 24" or larger 120Hz displays under $500 that I know of which also have a composite connector. It's just such old tech, really. It's also not cheap to convert from it into DVI/HDMI/anything else. What systems were you using, anyhow?

Well for the older systems, NES, SNES, Dreamcast, Saturn, Genesis, N64.

Newer ones PS3 and 360.

But even using the 360 and PS3 won't output 120hz right?

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

DrDork posted:

Yeah, that's pretty hard to get all working. There aren't too many monitors to begin with that would have all the ports you'd want, and less still that are good for gaming and fit your budget. In fact, on NewEgg, the only thing I could find was the SAMSUNG T24A350. Anything more expensive than that, and you might as well go with a U2410 (which is $499 right now). In any event, you're pretty much going to have to decide between 120Hz and Composite input.

To answer your other question, no, the PS3/XBox/etc will not put out a 120Hz signal.

Funny you mention that Samsung T24A350, I actually just purchased a T22A350 at Sam's Club, and it has the connections for composite. It's a really nice monitor, which I think will have to suffice at the moment.

Thanks anyway for your help.

HalloKitty posted:

PS3 and 360 won't be 120hz, and to be honest they're almost always 720p scaled up.

Dreamcast can and should be used with the VGA adapter to achieve 640x480 progressive. Anything less is not good enough. It was one of the main advantages over the PlayStation2 - almost all games on the PS2 were rendered interlaced, whereas the Dreamcast did more work and rendered them in full 480p, so they still look crisp today (as long as you have a VGA box!)
Until the next generation of consoles outputs 120hz kind of pointless getting a 120hz monitor, I'll have to wait on it with my new PC build. Yeah I figured the 360 and PS3 don't output native 1080p.

I totally forgot about the VGA adapter for the Dreamcast, I will definietly set that up once I purcahse one. Thanks for the tip.

Wait, VGA box? So I couldn't use an VGA adapter and plug that into a monitor that has a VGA input?

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Oh ok, saw a few on ebay. I'll see if my local game store carries it.

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Can I just chime in for a sec regarding TN and IPS color differences? I owned a U2311H monitor in the past and currently am using an ASUS TN panel, both were/are 23". The color on my TN panel, even after calibration, is quite bad. I'm not sure how other TN panels are, but I'm ready to write them off for anyone who does work in Photoshop/Illustrator. Colors just seem so highly contrasted on a TN, it's difficult to get correct colors.

I would however use a TN strictly for gaming. But considering how low that input lag is on a U2311HM, it's harder for me to justify a TN purchase unless you are gaming at 120FPS (which I have decided to invest in a monitor instead of a second graphics card at the moment).

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

U2312HM going for 240 on ebay. gently caress yes!

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Just picked up a U2312HM monitor. I haven't plugged it in yet, had to RMA a graphics card, but my question is in regards to calibration.

Can I just use the calibrated settings reviewers do on this monitor like:

Picture preset: Custom Color
Brightness 63
Contrast 66
Sharpness: 50
Gamma PC
Aspect ratio: Wide 16:9
R 97
G 89
B 100
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1317112577

And just minorly adjust things to look right on my monitor? I know every monitor is going to be different when the same calibration tool is going to be used, but is this a poor way in calibrating my monitor?

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Movax thank you for your job on the OP and to everyone else who contributed it. I would have never gotten a U2311h or U2312HM for that matter without it. And the recommendation for the 120hz TN panel, that ASUS one, has beautiful black levels and is just a great monitor all around. I actually like glossy panels too.

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

robbob posted:

Please let us know how it turns out. I've definitely been considering it but I haven't convinced myself to take the plunge yet.

Probably the best monitor I've ever laid eyes on, once calibrated. Even out of the box it looked tremendously good.

There are only two caveats I have:

1) My U2311h looked better aesthetically; I'm a fan of all black and sharp corners. The U2312HM looks a bit cheaper in comparison.

2) I wish the black levels were better. I would be better immersed in a game, say Amnesia, if I had deeper blacks. It's not that awful, but there is room for improvement.

Overall though I think what it's price at is an awesome deal. Games look gorgeous on it and with virtually no input lag.

I just hope Dell keeps up the quality in future new monitors in their UltraSharp line.

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

For those that own a UltraSharp monitor (U2312HM, U2412, etc) what do you guys recommend on cleaning? Curious to see if someone has something different then what Dell advises. I just use water and a microfiber cleaning cloth.

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

So is the U2312HM a 6bit+FRC? If so is that just as good as the 8bit?

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

I know its relatively "new", but in a year or two will a 1080p GSYNC monitor go down in price? Over 600 for one of them right now is utterly absurd at that res. I'd pay maybe 300.

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm trying to decide between an ASUS VG248QE and a BenQ XL2411Z. Both are 24 inches with 144hz and 1 ms response time. I will be using it for gaming. It looks like the BenQ is about a year newer but besides that I can't see much of a difference between the two. Both have outstanding reviews.

Thoughts?

I actually am building a new rig around the VG248QE but since I got it today from Amazon, I hooked it up with my old rig. Just have to find the right color profile (out of the box is garbage) and "hack" for Nvidia Lightboost (http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/). I'm coming from a Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM and the difference is definitely noticeable. Sure color accuracy isn't as good as my Ultrasharp, but if you are exclusively gaming then I wouldn't worry about it. Well worth the money, hopefully you get lucky and get no dead pixels.

FWIW I spent way more time researching monitors than any computer parts because I am very picky when it comes to input lag. However I did read a lot of counter strike players love the BENQ model you linked, so if you are playing a lot of CS:GO might be the monitor to get. People are splitting hairs over color accuracy, and for a TN panel I really don't give a gently caress. If I cared about accurate color reproduction I'd look at maybe an IPS or something better. The other BENQ I looked at was a Gsync 1080p, but the price was too steep to justify it (I might just buy a DIY Gsync kit from Nvidia).

Once I get my new rig built, look forward to seeing BF4 at 144hz without lightboost

Yinzer fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I plan to play BF4 too but there is no way my PC can reach 144fps on max settings. It should be about 90fps. Does that mean 144hz is useless for me?

It is if you don't plan on upgrading that card to get more FPS. I wanted to get by with a GTX970 and play games on Ultra/max settings, but people on this board told me to opt instead for a 980ti because I wanted 144hz.