Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

I have a fairly old system that was running a Samsung SyncMaster 204BW off of a Radeon 5700 graphics card at 1680 x 1050..

The monitor is dying, only showing red. I'm pretty sure it's shot. I had some warning of course but I thought I'd have more time before it gave out for real today.

I'm planning on building an entirely new mid-price gaming rig sometime this year, but I'm not quite ready to do that yet. I have a lot of research and budgeting left to do. Is there a reasonable monitor I could buy that would both work with my old system, but not require immediate replacement when I have my new one together?

Other possibilities:

A) Buy a cheap monitor and just keep it with the old system

B) Use the old system with a tiny CRT until I build my new rig.

Haven't bought a monitor since 2007, so I'm a little bewildered by all the new stuff that's out.

Honestly, I didn't even know about the IPS/TN difference before i dove into this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU