Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

BLOWTAKKKS posted:

Yeah, I'm using windows 7 on a 1080p TV right now and I increased the DPI. The OS looks okay, but some of the system tray and desktop icons look blocky. I've tried using Chrome and Firefox zoomed at 120% and it's big enough to read, but since everything is zoomed, images don't look quite as good as at 100% zoom. It's not the TV's fault either, I realize a TV does not make an optimal monitor but it's pretty good. It just bothers me that I have to zoom in to be able to read a 32 inch display. On a 23 inch display I would have to zoom in even more. I wish there was a way to get everything to be larger without the drawbacks of having everything look slightly shittier.

Then again, everyone seems to be happy with 1080p monitors. I don't use glasses and I have 20/20 vision. What the hell?

How far away are you sitting from the TV? Remember that for normal desktop use you'll only be 2-3 feet away. I've never had any problems reading text on my 24" 1920x1080 monitor at default DPI, and I've got awful eyesight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Niwrad posted:

Thanks. I'm looking at a 27 inch widescreen so the 4:3 would need to be upgraded to a larger size. A 22 inch 4:3 would be perfect, but my problem is that I can't seem to find anyone selling those things anymore. It seems like my only options are widescreens which I don't want two of.

So maybe my question is more where can I buy these things? And perhaps if anyone has recommendations from their own dual monitor setup as to what should be used alongside a larger widescreen.

I use a 24" Dell 1920x1080 as my main monitor with my older 19" 5:4 1280x1024 monitor next to it. The heights almost match up. It's close enough to not bother me, but I'm not very picky about it either. I don't think you'll find anything that would match up with a 27" well. If you've got the budget for a 27" you could also run dual 24" instead.

brainwrinkle fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 17, 2011

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Clockwork Beast! posted:

I'd heard a rumor that 120Hz will tax a gpu more than 60, is that true?

If your GPU can't render a game at 120 FPS then you will only get as many effective Hz as FPS the card can produce, negating the advantage of a 120Hz panel. Most older games should hit 120 FPS on ultra detail settings without much issue on a high-midrange card like the 460 or 6850. In more modern games you would probably need to start turning settings down to high-medium or investing in more powerful cards.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I wouldn't consider the 6970 unlock a overclock, but eh.

Meanwhile, reason for 2GB: playing a game while streaming a movie on a TV, for example.

Nope, measuring my graphics memory usage with EVGA Precision shows it going up about 20 megabytes after opening a Youtube window or 30 megabytes for Hulu. There's no real need for 2 GB video memory at 1920x1080.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Josh Lyman posted:

Refurb HP 27" 2560x1440 monitor for $350: http://sellout.woot.com/offers/hp-27-wqhd-led-ips-monitor

So tempted to replace my 1080p 27" monitor with this to match to my 27" 1440p Korean, but I don't really need to spend $350 right now, even if I can get $100 for my 27" :negative:.

I bought one of these and received it tonight. I *think* there might be a little bit of backlight bleed in the lower right, but for the price and overall quality I'm really happy with it. Everything else about it is great.