Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Likely just scaling the image down. The funny thing about image processing is that a lot of times scaling down a big image to a small size looks a ton better than something that was always in the small size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Oy... I just had a bit of a headache. I picked the Adobe RGB gamut on my shiny new U2410 because it seemed the best-calibrated when using a tweaked monitor profile from the Dell forums. In my web browser, Chrome, everything looked normal. In Photoshop, everything looked washed out, even though my color settings were set up correctly. And I mean everything, including color picker colors.

In a nutshell, here's what happened: If you don't have a color profile set up in your operating system, color-managed applications assume you are using an sRGB gamut. If you aren't using the sRGB gamut on your monitor, color-managed applications assuming you are will display inappropriate colors. So a .gif would look fine in non-managed applications like Chrome or Picasa image viewer, but it would look like rear end in Photoshop or Windows Image Viewer.

Naturally, this doesn't matter if you keep the settings on sRGB or use Standard along with software calibration. This is only if you pick a non-sRGB gamut on the physical screen.

Changing the settings on the applications is only half the battle. You have to add the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 color space profile to your operating system's color management options. Then color-managed applications know how to display colors so they have the right look, not just the right RGB values. Here's a quick walkthrough for Windows 7:

1) Go to the Color Management applet (type Color Management in the Start Menu or right click on your desktop-->Screen Resolution-->Advanced Settings-->Color Management)

2) On the main screen, select your monitor under Device and make sure "Use my settings for this device" is checked. Then click Add... under the profile list.

3) Select sRGB IEC61966-2.1 from the list and hit OK.

This will give Windows all the information it needs to properly map colors from cameras, scanners, the web and etc. to your fancy, non-sRGB-gamut monitor.

Also, when you are setting drop shadows on layers in Photoshop (such as on fake mouse cursors 'cause printscreen doesn't capture them), you can click-drag the drop shadow around to fine tune its position and Photoshop will update the angle and distance automatically :aaaaa:

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 12, 2010

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Pr0phecy posted:

What would you say about this monitor? They give it great reviews but you seem to be extremely knowledgeable about this.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236052

I'd use it mostly for gaming/movies, maybe hooking up my PS3 to it.

I was about to buy that monitor until I decided to go for a Dell U2410 for better color accuracy. It has my official "Except for the fact that I do content creation, I'd own it" seal of approval.

Junkenstein posted:

What's the difference between the Samsung BX2231 and BX2250, and how are they generally?

BX2331 is a 23" monitor, BX2250 is 21.5". 2331 is glossy black finish, 2250 is charcoal grey. 2331 uses more electricity. I haven't seen them personally.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How does it compare to http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001421&Tpk=BX2450 ? The Samsung is 200 at the moment, so the price is basically the same. Planning on using it mostly for casual computer use, and a bit of gaming.

I honestly couldn't tell you from personal experience. However, Dell's monitors, which have always treated me well in the past and tend to get good reviews, have been based off of panels manufactured by Samsung and LG (as well as others - U2410 is ???, U2707WFP is Samsung, for example), so I would say by induction that Samsung and LG panels would do okay by me. My decision on the Asus panel was based on its overwhelmingly large number of positive reviews and my own very good experience with two Asus laptops.

My heuristic is not foolproof, but that's why I started hanging out here when it came time to decide on a new monitor.

The other thing to do, which may be difficult, is to look at the monitors in person and see if there's anything you like or dislike. I've been TV shopping recently, and I've noticed that some TVs have some very annoying filtering going on, an extremely aggressive sharpness filter that increases contrast at image boundaries and can even re-alias otherwise non-aliased lines. It drives me batty. That's the kind of thing you can only reliably see in person.

So... hmm, try reading the negative reviews on the screens. Ones that aren't "OMG DIDN'T WORK" may list the little things that piss people off, and that might clue you in to what to avoid.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

fleshweasel posted:

Everyone should try setting the aspect ratio of their browser window to roughly that of a sheet of paper. It makes things so much easier to read. Maximizing on today's desktop monitors is scrub behavior.

My U2410 rotates to portrait, I can do both :smug:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Unless he's willing to futz with a TV tuner and having his computer on all the time, it's probably easier to buy an actual TV. The AV Arena pointed me towards the Panasonic Viera TC-L32U22, a 32" IPS LCD. It's not wide-gamut or anything, and I haven't yet hooked mine up to a PC, but it looks pretty good to my eye with HD content, and you can see them in person at Best Buy to get a personal take on 'em.

Amazon link

An Apple Cinema Display would be pretty difficult to use as a TV using anything but a PC tuner, as it only takes a single digital connection. It does have speakers built-in, however. A Dell display could hypothetically take an HDMI or Component connection from a set-top box, with the computer plugged in via DisplayPort or DVI and speakers plugged into its HDMI audio passthrough (stereo only).

Re: LED-LCDs, they're nice, but standard CCFL LCDs aren't terrible.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

TheStampede posted:

My bad, Radeon HD 6850.

HD has been part of the brand name for years. You have provided no new information.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I get the same thing on my U2410. Maybe it's just some conspiracy about good IPS monitors.

That's when I went a-Googlin' and found Turn Off LCD.exe. It just makes a call to the ACPI "monitor power saving" routine, so instant, on-demand monitor off without using the off button..

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

movax posted:

I don't think so, because that switch is probably wired to act as a physical shutdown switch; cut all power to display, hubs, peripherals and only leave a few mA to power a standby LED and handle powering back up.

I do like that 'Turn off LCD' program, that'll be super handy for me. The way my monitors are orientated, I'll sometimes get a bit of glare on my main display from the side displays when I'm gaming or something. Thanks Factory Factory!

I'm not sure it'll do what you're thinking. All it does is initiate a "Screen turns off" event exactly as if the power management timer had done so. All it takes to turn the screen(s) back on is moving the mouse.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I used the DP cable that came with the monitor, and while I didn't have that specific problem, the display would sometimes drop all EDID (i.e. "what resolutions I support and what my name is" data) after sleep. I tracked it down with AMD for a while, since it was their video card, and they eventually blamed Dell after I got all the way to an Engineer, but you know what? I plugged it in via DVI/HDMI and it stopped being buggy. I don't do EyeFinity, so who cares?

Just do DVI or HDMI. Because seriously: who cares? Probably not you.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Probably the only feasible 4:3/widescreen matching would be a 1600x1200 monitor paired with a 1920x1200 monitor. A 21" 4:3 would have almost exactly the same height as a 24" 16:10. A 24" 4:3 would have almost exactly the same height as a 27" 16:10.

However, at 27" you're probably gonna see a 2560-width widescreen, giving you a height of 1440 for 16:9, 1600 for 16:10, or 1920 for 4:3. There aren't any 4:3 or even 5:4 standard resolutions to match those heights. The closest is 2048x1536 (4:3), or maybe 2560x2048 (5:4). But good luck finding a panel that does that.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Are you using a laptop that uses nVidia Optimus tech? I just sent back a laptop because it wouldn't hold calibration and I'm wondering if it's a bug with the tech rather than my specific machine (though it had other problems, too).

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

DrDork posted:

Constantly. The amount of the discount varies, of course, but many of their products end up on sale at least one or two weeks a month. Buying straight from Dell is recommended simply because no one has yet to really tack down what Dell's thoughts are on warranty support if bought through a third party.

I have. I bought a U2410 from Newegg, and its DisplayPort was wonky. I called up Dell, got an hour of runaround, and finally they said they would honor the warranty, but first they had to generate a Dell order number for me. Then they said I should call back in a week to finish generating that order number, and only then actually tell them my issue.

I plugged it in via DVI.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Buy a high-resolution display and enable GPU scaling to its native resolution?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
The downside of most HDTVs is that they do a bit of post-processing fuckery called "sharpening" which increases contrast at the boundaries between dark and light. That means that black text is constantly surrounded by a halo glow. For me, at least, it's incredibly distracting.

While the U2311H is super swell, if you want big on a budget, look at a TN. Try to look at them in person to see if you can deal with the difference in brightness, color saturation and viewing angle.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
No clue. While I have the aforementioned TC-L32U22, and it has much less sharpening than most TVs I've seen, it still has some. Drives me crazy unless I expand text size at least 25%, and it's not really comfortable until 44%. You might ask the HDTV megathread in The A/V Arena (subforum of Inspect Your Gadgets).

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Good lord, 6-bit, 8-bit, 10-bit, why the gently caress did this happen when 98% of people use 8-bit color and the rest are either blind, old ladies, or pros using 10-bit?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Anything with a Wacom pen digitizer, too, though that's not a guarantee of color fidelity. Some Thinkpads have a 95 percent gamut option, too, but I don't know the viewing angles or panel tech.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

adocious posted:

Thanks to this thread, I recently bought a U2410 with the 25% off coupon code. I would like to connect it to my video card via DisplayPort, but my video card has only mini DisplayPort outputs.

Can anyone tell me of a mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort adapter that will pass audio (or if all of them do)? I have found mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapters that supposedly pass audio but I haven't seen any mention of audio on the mini DisplayPort to DislpayPort adapters I've found.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024606&p_id=6007&seq=1&format=2

It's all display port, just a different sized connector. Whatever is sent from the video card makes it all the way through. It's like USB A vs. USB B - same pins, same data, different physical configuration.

Whether your video card actually does audio through DisplayPort is another thing, but if it does, voila.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
TN panels are pretty much commodity. Pick your poison. Even a non-IPS Dell monitor is in the same price range.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Dell's having a Small Business sale this weekend (I think already going). U2410 for $479, U2711 for $999.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I'll weigh in:

If you do nothing color-managed, the U2410 is a beauty.

If you need the wide gamut and great color management, like for photo editing, the U2410 is great.

If you do only some things color-managed, especially if web graphics are the main thing you do that's color-managed, the U2410 becomes a major headache.

The key issue is the wide gamut - basically, Windows doesn't color manage every single thing, so when it sends the color #FF0000 to the monitor, it's creating a beautiful, rich red that literally does not exist on non-wide-gamut monitors. As soon as you get into a color managed application like Photoshop, colors are stepped to what looks like this pale, unsaturated imitation of the colors they should be.

Here's the kicker, though: that's what those colors really are supposed to be. I temporarily reset my netbook to its uncalibrated state and held it up to the monitor, and that sickly, slightly orange red is what your average non-wide-gamut screen really shows as "pure red" by default.

It messes with your head, man. You have to turn off color management in order for things to "look right," but doing so makes it wrong.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Vectorwulf posted:

I recently purchased a 32" LG 1080p tv to replace my barely functioning older monitor. While I'm hugely satisfied with it, I have had one minor question. Is there any streaming website, or any other video format (online or otherwise), that actually utilizes 1080p @ 60hz? The closest I've found so far is a free 1080p movie called "Big Buck Bunny", but it seems to be a 24hz file. Just looking for something to show what the set is fully capable of (outside of gaming).

Maybe a high-end sportscast. Most content is either 30 frames progressive, 24 frames progressive, or 60 frames interlaced (i.e. 60 half-frames, even and odd lines updated each 60th of a second). Since interlaced stuff looks like rear end on a progressive display, it's usually deinterlaced at some point in the pipeline unless it's something where motion fidelity is extremely important, like sports. I mean, most video formats support 60 FPS display (either interlaced or progressive), but it's another thing entirely to find someone who actually shot that on a camera.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

SpaceDrake posted:

Alright, goonmind, got another somewhat esoteric peripheral question for you lot. Well, a pair, really, that are sort of related.

Firstly: does anyone know if the U2410 can receive audio information from its DVI-D ports?

Nope, but it can via DisplayPort.

quote:

Secondly, and especially if the answer to the above is negative: does anyone have a recommendation for a good HDMI switch?

I haven't used any, but MonoPrice does really well selling generic cables and hardware, so you might check their offerings out. For example, this 4-to-1 HDMI 1.3b BluRay 3D compliant bad boy for $30

quote:

(also who the christ would even use composite on a loving Ultrasharp I mean goddam)

I take it you've never wanted to play your NES picture-in-picture along with the LP playing off your PC :colbert:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

SpaceDrake posted:

So that'd be an HDMI-to-Displayport coverter plug like this here thing, and I'd be in business, sound and all?

Wait, it can do multi-displays like that? Like an overlay? Holy poo poo :aaa: I sure didn't see THAT function on the menu bar! I may need to look into that!

(My complaint about the loving RCA-compatible audio in-jacks stands though, Delllllll :argh: )

I just connected my ThinkPad to my TV via a cable that's DisplayPort on one end and HDMI on the other. It transfers audio just like it does when I hook up the U2410 with a DP-DP cable. Take that as you will.

As for the picture-in-picture, word of note: you can only have a single TMDS-signalled display as one of those PIP options. That means you can only use one of the following at once: DVI1, DVI2, or HDMI.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Pretty much your only option is a Dell U2711 with a great coupon/sale. Maybe an Apple Cinema Display, but that's $1000 firm unless you go refurbished.

You won't find a thing worth your time at Best Buy.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
It's going to be tough finding a 1680x1050 screen of that size these days; they're usually 1920x1080 now. Your machine can definitely handle the resolution, though.

For some reason, Dell's Portugal site isn't listing prices for me, so that kinda puts a damper on me recommending the Ultrasharp U2311h or U2211h. But they are very nice IPS-panel monitors with wide viewing angles and good color reproduction, and in USD from the US, at least, hit your price target.

The Samsung monitor you listed is a 120Hz model, which is mostly a thing for super-high frame rates. It also seems to be out of stock from most US sellers and retired by the manufacturer. If you like it, it should be a fine screen, though. But if you can live with 60 frames per second, then you can save a little dough by stepping down to a non-120Hz screen.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Nope. An IPS panel will give you beautiful color and viewing angles, and a 120Hz TN panel will give you blisteringly low input lag and open up extreme frame rates. Can't get both at the same time.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Wait...So IPS panels are bad for gaming?

I didn't say that. It's just that they don't have quite as low input lag as a 120Hz TN panel. I think somebody did measurements a few pages back showing a U2410 having an average of 31 ms of input lag in normal mode and 17 ms in Gaming mode, where a gaming TN would average below 10 ms. Some people are just that twitchy. Personally, I can notice the difference between non-gaming and gaming on my U2410, but I wouldn't have thought it had anything to do with the monitor before I discovered the "gaming" setting, since I hadn't been playing FPS for for a while. Before I switched the setting, I was, well, kinda uncharacteristically bad at L4D2 and noticing that my shots didn't precisely line up with where the hitboxes should be. Make the switch to Gaming mode and immediately my accuracy doubles because I can react to what I see more effectively.

A non-120Hz/"gaming" TN panel could have the same issues, depending on the image processing. IPS panels aren't physically fast enough to work at 120Hz.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 24, 2011

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Quanta posted:

Yep. I had a pixel stuck on green for a couple of days. I tried to ignore it but it was too close to the centre of the screen.

I massaged the area around the stuck pixel for a couple of minutes and hoped for the best. The next time I switched the monitor on, the green pixel was working again.

:aaaaa:

I looked up this Wikihow article after reading your post, ran one of the pixel stimulator programs for an hour, and then gave three light taps with a pen cap, and that fixed my laptop's stuck pixel.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Quanta posted:

Their newer monitors are an absolute bargain, though. For any Europeans interested in a glossy 27" display, the Hazro HZ27WC is identical to the Apple Cinema Display panel and performance wise, but costs £500 less!

72% gamut? That's not not equal performance to the ACD's ~85%.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

DrDork posted:

72%? Their spec sheet says 110% of NTSC CIE1976.

TFT Central (UK) says otherwise. There are multiple revisions of the screen, using different panels. Plus the electronics are different - the C version, with just a DVI input, is an 8-bit color processor, and only the A version has 10-bit wide gamut hardware, but it's fake-wide-gamut. Reading on, the A and C versions don't use a full 10-bit panel like the one found in the B model and the Dell Ultrasharps. This panel's LG spec sheet lists 99.9% sRGB and 77% NTSC, and the manufacturer's spec says 72%.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

sleepness posted:

I'm using the "Game" preset, which I figured would alleviate the problem.

That's a bug from the Dynamic Contrast setting. You can fix it by doing one of two things: turn off Dynamic Contrast (which is a pain because the change is not saved to the preset and will reset to on next time you switch to Game mode), or just look at a more brightly lit area in-game to pull things back up.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

sleepness posted:

Is there anyway for me to get it the same "look" as it does with the dynamic contrast as without? It just looks brighter and more vibrant with it on.

Turn up your brightness and contrast settings? All DC does is crank up the backlight and contrast in bright scenes and turn it back down in dark ones. Hell, on my U2410 I can watch it step the backlight up if I turn on DC against a webpage or something. Friggin' burns my eyeballs.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Get a non-wide-gamut IPS, like the HP ZR24W. Wide gamut can look beautiful but also can introduce a number of headaches that you'd probably rather avoid unless you are ABSOLUTELY SURE you will never do any full calibration or color-sensitive design/photo editing. The ZR24W doesn't have all the fancy inputs, though, so you'd probably need a multi-HDMI-to-single-DVI switch.

You might also just consider an HDTV for entertainment and use a less expensive but serviceable PC screen for work. Even though I have a U2410, I also have an LG TC-L32U22 (recommended to me from the A/V Arena HDTV thread) which is great when I want to get out of my office chair and kick back to watch or play.

But if you do go for a U2410, I doubt you'd be disappointed.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
My calibrator put me at 25 brightness and 71 contrast. But I'm in a decently bright room.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Some people really do see the difference, and some people can see it if they try but otherwise aren't bothered by it. If you don't see it or don't care, buy what you want that looks good to you.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Kilometers Davis posted:

After blindly throwing money at a U2410 and being horribly disappointed, i'll be in the hunt for a new monitor soon. I need it to fit these guidelines:

$500 or under.

24"+, but not taller than 24" from the base to the top. I'm considering getting a 27" and get into the 2560x1440 thing, but i'm worried about how well I can push that resolution in games. How likely is it that the resolution will be more common and "accepted" by hardware in the future? I don't want to upgrade my entire computer just to play games like that.

Glossy

Vibrant colors, I'll be doing a bit of photography and art work, but IPS isn't really necessary or wanted. I just want everything to really pop off of the screen and look great.

High response time for gaming without having to using a gaming premade setting.

Relatively sleek with a small bezel.

Better than a FHD2400, which is what i'm back with now.

I'd really appreciate any input.

You're dreaming the impossible dream. Ask again when OLED screens no longer cost $16,000.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
If you're doing content creation, then you just accept that many standard apps aren't color managed, and so will display colors at the full dynamic range of your monitor rather than their actual colors. When applications are color-managed, just accept that things will suddenly look weird and washed out. If you can't accept this, get a non-wide-gamut monitor.

If you're not doing content creation, then don't color calibrate the monitor within Windows and you'll never see these problems. Calibrate it on the monitor itself or not at all.

Custom Color preset is your friend. Gaming preset is nice for gaming but looks very green, at least on mine. I find I only need it for twitchy FPS games, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

JammyB posted:

Hi all, I've got a Dell 2408WFP that's a few years old now and I'm looking to buy another 24" to sit alongside it. I bought this one as I do a lot of web development so I wanted something that had decent colour reproduction, and I'm really pleased with it. On a second monitor, all I'm going to be using it for is coding so I'm hoping to find something a lot cheaper, but that will fit nicely alongside the Dell.

The Dell is 1920x1200, and all of the cheaper new monitors I'm seeing are 1920x1080. So my questions are as follows:
1) Is it going to be annoying to have a mismatch in resolutions between monitors?
2) Are there any cheap 1920x1200 monitors available in the UK? I'm looking at spending £180-230. The only ones I've seen in this price range are brands I've not heard of and have no reviews. I've seen 1920x1080 ones for around £180 that look like they'd do nicely.
3) It looks like the 2408WFP is a bit of a rare sought after monitor among enthusiasts. Is this true, and if so is it worth selling it and buying two new identical monitors?

Thanks a lot for any advice.

1) Not super a lot, as long as the DPI is similar. 24" 16:10 (a real 24") and a "24-inch-class" 23.5" 16:9 monitor will be almost identically wide and so have an almost identical dot pitch, so all that will be noticeable, size-wise, is the height difference.

2) No. In terms of big manufacturers, 16:10 is relegated to high-end monitors and even those are being phased out pretty quickly. The Dell U2410, HP ZR24w, and Asus PA246Q, plus a handful of other, similarly-priced IPS monitors, are the last of the old guard, and the Dell U2411 will be 16:9. A 16:9 TN LCD will be much cheaper but also not 16:10. The color/image quality difference might be jarring, though.

3) If color is no longer important, sure, go for it. Otherwise, selling it wouldn't get you enough for a single new U2410, let alone two, but it could get you one and a half 16:9 U2311H screens, if you got an exceptional price for it. But it's really not that rare and sought after - the U2410 is better and widely available. It's just "rare" and mostly found among enthusiasts because it's uncommon you find someone who cares ~$500 worth for color accuracy.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 21, 2011