Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention
I'd like to get a portrait flanking monitor for my 30" Dell 3007WFP-HC. Do they even make 20" 4:3 displays anymore (preferably IPS)?

Strong Female fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

kstatix posted:

I'm debating between going with a 27" monitor or a 23-24".

I found this monitor which has gotten a lot of feedback at 4/5 stars.

Anything I should know before I pull the trigger? Otherwise I'll probably just buy the 23" monitor listed in the OP of the stickied parts picking thread and save myself the $170. I'm just salivating at the thought of staring at a 27" monitor, but is it really worth it?

edit: This is going to be used for 95% gaming.

I think 27" monitors that have 1920x1200/1080 resolutions look like poo poo up close.

If you can deal with the super low PPI, then...v:v:v

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I have a ~3 year old Dell 3007WFP-HC and it makes very loud and very scary popping sounds once or twice a day.

Does this mean it's on its way out? :ohdear:

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

HalloKitty posted:

So, they have 3 year warranties. You should call as soon as possible.

poo poo, I just checked and I actually bought it 4 years ago :sigh:

I'll start looking around for monitor repair shops in LA.

In the meantime, how is the Dell U3011 for gaming? I hear it has a scaler unlike the 3007WFP-HC and that the scaler introduces a bit of input lag.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

HalloKitty posted:

Ah, unlucky. Still, from my experience, the thing that usually fails in screens.. or almost any electronics device to be honest, is the power supply. It could possibly be a backlight inverter too, not sure how much that would set you back.

It's probably worth getting it fixed, since a 30" IPS screen isn't exactly cheap.

Thanks for the help anyhow. I'm sure I'll find something nearby.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

Miso Beno posted:

I just got my Dell U2312HM at work and I really don't know how I managed to get anything done on my old display. I've pushed my old Dell 1908FP over to use as a secondary monitor and the difference between the two in terms of color depth, brightness, contrast, angle of view, and well just about everything else is simply incredible.

Now is there anything special about color calibrating an IPS display?

I was actually just about to ask this question; I have a 3007WFP-HC and a 2007FP (got it for $75 on Craigslist!) and there's a pretty big difference in color/brightness/contrast.

Otherwise, :iia:. I've been wanting to do this for quite a few years now.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

movax posted:

re-writing OP, everyone should just go use iPad 3 as their screen

e: so this isn't a complete shitpost, shadowhand I will definitely put together a little blurb about that monitor with your links in the monitors section of the post!

I'm totally using an iPad 3 for a third monitor. That resolution is ridiculous.

I would love to see a 30" with the same PPI :swoon:

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

Speaking of 30" screens and advances with them, I remember seeing a comment from one of the guys doing monitor reviews for Anand that development on new 30" panels had essentially stopped, and that all future larger displays were going to be 27" 16:9 based panels instead. I can't find it now, but that's a loving depressing comment if true.

It's depressing, but you have to remember that we make up like 1% of 1% of computer users out there and these panels are incredibly tricky and expensive to make.

As far as I can tell, this monitor is the most recent advance in this size category (and it's from last June) and god drat, I want it so badly:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/21/eizo-industrial-monitor-does-4k-resolution-at-36-inches-start-s/

36.4 inches, 4096 x 2160, $36000 :smith:

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

Vidaeus posted:

Just wanted to see if anyone had any feedback for me from the last page as I seem to have gotten missed?
i.e. Is 30" too big for gaming/web/office stuff on a normal desk and are the Dell ultrasharps still the go to model for 27" or 30"?

I use a Dell 30" on a "normal desk" (I'm not sure what this means) and can't think of any other monitor I'd want to use. If you check the previous page, you can see a picture I took of my desk (you can use the mouse or Xbox 360 controller as a way to figure out scale I guess!).

And going to a 27" isn't going to make it much smaller in any case.

However, I've used both regularly and those extra 3" diagonal inches (and 409600 pixels) really are worth it in my opinion.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

It takes a little bit of getting used to (Sometimes it can be hard to break the habit of always maximizing a browser window), but once you start using a 30" screen you'll never want to go back to anything else.

That's a good point; I haven't used a maximized browser window in so long.

WinSplit Revolution is really amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

peepsalot posted:

I'm a little confused on the difference in Gross and Net weight for a monitor

Does net weight mean just the monitor without power brick and cables?

I'm looking for a very light 23-24" with VESA mount

Maybe it's the weight of the packaging?