Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Hi,

I'm using a Dell U2515H at 1440p and some applications/windows stuff look like absolute dirge. Specifically blurry text.

EG:

Additionally, websites/fonts look a little centered/compact.

I'm not really sure what is the method to fix this. I have a horrible suspicion it's going to be quite a fragmented solution.

Can anyone offer some tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I dunno. It looks like it is detecting it ok.

Browser text looks sharp enough as do most of the OS fonts/text. It's just an issue around administrative tools and install/setup windows where it goes wonky.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You could try a displayport connection to rule out the HDTV possibility. I assume you already configured cleartype and such yes?

Affirmative!

wolrah posted:

That looks like Windows' DPI scaling being derpy. If an app doesn't declare itself as compatible Windows just literally blows up the contents. (Mac OS X did the same, but properly scaled most standard system widgets so only custom widgets and bitmap images ended up fuzzy).

You can set a compatibility option in the shortcut (or a few other ways that are harder) to disable scaling for specific programs or you can just set it to 100% system-wide in the display control panel.

I'll give this a go. Cheers.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Zorilla posted:

You have DPI scaling enabled, right? Guess what? Not even the Windows shell supports it completely. And it hasn't changed in Windows 10. For the Nth version in a row, Microsoft has barely done anything to the MMC and it will look terrible because it's stuck in 2001.

For more laughs, try this:

Two variations of the same interface. Only one one displays properly.

According to your description, web browsers are behaving as they should. They're applying 125% zoom, which may cause some responsive design CSS rules to kick in since it thinks your browser viewport is 80% of its actual size.

Cheers for this.

I guess what you're saying is: Deal with it?