Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
I'm building my first gaming rig and need a monitor to accompany it. I'm on the fence on whether or not I want 24" or 27", but I think I value the image clarity of an IPS monitor over the response of a TN panel. From what I've read online it seems like any response rate under 5ms is negligible. I play mostly single player games from all genres, so I don't value the response time as much as somebody who plays competitively.

The only thing I'm on the fence about is, having never experienced it, whether or not I value 120/144hz over 60hz enough to sacrifice IPS for TN. I currently have a 2015 Dell XPS 13 so I think I'm being spoiled by the screen. I know there's not really a question here, but does anybody have any insight on what I should do? The ASUS VG248QE seems like it offers a lot of value and has great reviews but I'm not sure I want to sacrifice the quality of the image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
I was thinking a max of $500 CAD. To complicate things, now I'm wondering if I should save a bit more and bump up to 1440p. I'm going to be getting a GTX 980 Ti and from what I read it should be sufficient to run most things at close to max settings/60 fps comfortably at 1440p. I'm putting away about 800/mo to save up and I'm already at $1750, so in a few more months I could get something better.