Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

DammitJanet posted:

I threw $229 into one of the "off-grade" Qnix 2710's on Amazon. Based on the reviews, I'm prepared to live with some dead pixels, but I'll report back regardless. :shepspends:

Please do, I was looking at that today and the fact they'll ship free is INCREDIBLY enticing. I know its very much a YMMV situation, but I'd love to hear a review from a goon source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
So the Amazon reseller posted up the Glossy QX2710 for $260, is it worth pulling the trigger on that over the off-grade Matte one at $230? The room I'm in never gets particularly bright, and my current Samsung 27 is glossy.

Besides the off grade aspect, which given the retailer I can't be guaranteed the 260 won't have possible defects like the 230 can/will.

EDIT: gently caress it, bought the $230, those SE monitors seem to be the ones that don't pass Qnix's own QA, hence why they are always cheaper. Might as well cut $30-50 off the price if I'm rolling the dice anyway.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 21, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Anarchist posted:

I recently built a new PC and figure it's time to upgrade my monitor ( currently using this ) after reading a bit of this thread I'm pretty set on a 27 inch 1440p non-TN panel that ideally has a refresh rate over 60hz. My price range is about $350 +/- and I was torn between picking up a 60hz one now, or waiting until something with a better refresh rate became available. I had no idea you could overclock a monitor, does it shorten the lifespan of the panel at all? What's the risk of failure in overclocking an off-grade, off-brand monitor? The price is certainly tempting, but I'm a bit torn because I know almost nothing about monitors other than what I've read in this thread.

I've only been looking for the last week or so, but as far as I can tell it works out like this:

The overclocking is almost singularly a trait of the Korean specials, mainly the Qnix or X-STAR ones mentioned a lot here. It's seems to be a trait of being a very simplistic design using a good Samsung panel. It's barely advertised except in some of the more recent postings.

Basically, you get a 2nd rate panel from a ~$700 Samsung for ~300, or even as low as 230 for monitors that might have defects like dead pixels or visible panel marks (in a lot of cases, these defects seem to be barely noticeable except under perfect conditions, given the pixel count of 1440p). You're not getting a super nice stand and take a couple risks you wouldn't with the legit $600 products.

The fact is though it's by far the best screen you'll get for anything south of $350 unless you find an incredible deal. As for panel damage, that's kinda hard to estimate (YMMV) but people have been doing this for several years now and there's no real evidence to suggest that, especially if you stay at like 96hz instead of pushing past 110.

As said though, my experience is limited compared to a lot of people who regular this thread, so they might have more to add/correct. I'd also recommend skimming that overclocker thread about the Q2710 and even doing some general googling so you get a better idea of what you're looking at.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 22, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Anarchist posted:

I think I'm going to grab the $230 one and the $20 stand from monoprice, the $100 price drop is worth it for some relatively minor flaws that may not even be noticeable . I had no idea the price gap was that significant between these and their Samsung equivalents, thanks.

Yeah, from looking the only Samsung 27" PLS 2560x1440 monitors you'll find are the 850 series, which start at ~$550.

To be fair, you can find some comparable Acer or BenQ for closer to 350-400 (there was an Acer for $300 on Newegg this week that looked to be a good deal), but you'll be stuck at 60hz (with a guaranteed panel though).

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 22, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
My Qnix 2710 arrived today. I bought it on Saturday and the shipping was free. I live in Chicago. What.

TRIP REPORT:

:dance:

The panel is nearly flawless. The defects are 3 faint yellow marks when the screen is pitch black, but they are comparable to a smudge smaller the size of that dance smiley, and you really have to be looking for them to notice and/or care. Not much black light bleed at all, and for my purposes the stand isn't even bad since I just need it to hold the thing up on the desk. It's honestly better then the one on my Samsung 27" TN, which didn't even have downward tilt.

I opened up NvCP and set a custom resolution for 96hz, works beautifully. Tried 120 but there were artifacts (which I expected).

It's kind of insane how poor my Samsung 27" TN is in comparison too, since they were roughly the same price and I bought it not too long ago. Thankfully I have someone willing to give me 80% of what I paid for it. I'd keep it for my second monitor but I don't have the desk space haha.

Only downside I can see is they dropped the price by $5 on Amazon but I'm just justifying that in my head by assuming the panel quality is lower :smug:

Mazz fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 25, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Mazz posted:

My Qnix 2710 arrived today. I bought it on Saturday and the shipping was free. I live in Chicago. What.

TRIP REPORT:

:dance:

One update, after it got a bit darker outside I was able to get a better idea of any black light bleed, and I do have a little on the lower right side. Not enough to really be worth popping it open though. Still absolutely worth the price.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Anarchist posted:

I got my QNIX today today too, small smudge of discoloration on darker colors and very minimal light bleed, absolutely worth the price and the condition is exactly what I expected. I've never seen that kind of discoloration in a monitor before, anybody have any idea what causes it? The only complaint i have is with the power cable and the really crappy adapter that included with it. I just switched that section out for a normal monitor cable and haven't run into any problems yet. I wish I ordered the vesa mount stand same time as the monitor, they would have most likely arrived together. The stand it came with is worse than I expected, it actually wobbles as I type and while this was a low priced screen I'd rather not have to replace it because the stand caught a breeze and tipped over.

I was able to OC it to 96hz no problem, at 110hz the picture quality dropped and there was substantial ghosting, anything above that just glitched out all over the place. If potentially hitting 120hz there might be a bit more leeway in the $320 version but that is just speculation. I'm 100% satisfied with this monitor for the price and would suggest it to anybody in the market to upgrade that is comfortable with the potential for a few blemishes and a bare bones product.

What do you mean by discoloration? Is it a little yellow smudge looking thing or actual discoloration of the images? The yellow smudges on mine seem like damage to one of the layers, the back light bleeds through faintly in those places when the screen is black. Seems like the pixels still function on the upper layer though because R/G/B tests are perfect.

And I guess I got lucky, my stand seems no less solid then the rest of the monitors I had/have. i don't really use the pan/tilt stuff though so that probably helps. Did yours have that little screw with the latch thing for the bottom?

Mazz fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 25, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

eggyolk posted:

Got my QNIX 27" monitor like everyone else did. It's got some tiny yellow smudges and two pixels stuck on grey, but I don't notice it at all during use. Coming from a 1080p 24" monitor the QNIX actually doesn't feel that impressive to me. I wish I'd saved up and waited for a 32"+ 4k screen to really get that wow factor.

That's said, I'm happy with the QNIX because of the price. If I'd bought even a perfect pixel one it would've felt like too much money for too small a leap from 1080p 24", but at $230 the upgrade isn't bad.

Games play slower for sure. My GTX460 runs hotter too, but things are still playable. I overclocked it to 96hz after scouring sketchy forums and downloading sketchy programs, but can't really tell if it's working or not. The whole overclocking process is way more spergy than I thought it would be.

I upgraded from a GTX 480 to a 970 right before my purchase, so I'm sure that helps my experience. You really can't blame the monitor for slowdowns there, that video card is definitely going to show its age trying to push 2560x1440 at 96hz. I also didn't see much change in desktop responsiveness, but I have noticed some in BF4/War Thunder.

Also, what sketchy programs did you need? I was under the impression most GTXs could do it right out of the NVIDIA control panel (after adding the QNIX drivers in device manager so games recognize the input and accept the refresh rate).

Anarchist posted:

It's a yellowish smudge that is only noticeable on very dark backgrounds. It would bother me more if it was closer to the center of the screen but thankfully it's not and there are no dead pixels to boot. Sounds like you did get lucky with the stand, a few other people said the stand wasn't that bad which is why I didn't order a separate one along with the monitor. I would still suggest anyone else thinking of picking up the Qnix order a vesa mount stand with it. Worse case scenario is that the stand it comes with is good enough for you and you'd have to return the separate one. I'd also ditch the cable + adapter they send with it and use a regular power cable, the adapter a got falls out of wall mounts and with pets it could get knocked lose very easily.

Yeah we have a similar defect then, if you look really closely it seems like its something in between the pixel layer and the back lighting, because it's not a pixel coloration problem (it's impossible to see with lighter colors) so much as it is the black light shows through slightly more then normal in that little area. I'd compare it to letting a little drop of acetone sit on wood finish, something like that.

Thankfulyl I really can't even see it unless the color underneath is sub-50 rgb dark, and even then it's difficult to notice without looking for it.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 27, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Gwaihir posted:

:eyepop:

I think that's actually a really great resolution at that size!

I'm not sure I'd recommend anyone to go to 2560x1440 at 24" without seeing it first, the text scaling in a lot of areas is really small even on my 27". I had to blow up the font sizes in Windows and ctrl+mousewheel every browser page I visit regularly or my eyes really hurt by the end of the day, and that's not an option in many programs like games.

I'd really suggest you try to find an example in person to see the scale before buying, so you know what you're getting, unless you don't do much reading on that monitor.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 27, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Gwaihir posted:

I use a 27" 4k screen with no scaling :shepface:

Yeah it was probably more a combination of smaller text + brighter display along with my terrible eyes. I found myself leaning in more and such. I'm sure people can handle it, but after a couple days I was definitely having some discomfort, which has mostly gone away since I boosted page scaling by 4-5 levels in Firefox.

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Overclocking the display can cause slight changes in colors (e.g. my screen becomes a lot more halogen-y in color temperature). Try switching between 60Hz and 96Hz via the Nvidia Control Panel and you'll see. Some people use Color Sustainer to select different ICC profiles to readjust the colors back to normal.

Ah okay, wasn't thinking about that, there's definitely a bit more darkness to my colors at 96hz, but I don't really notice straight away since my other monitor felt washed out in comparison to 60 or 96hz.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 28, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
On the Amazon page it says this:

quote:

GTX580 or HD6970. The GPU shoud have 2 dual linked DVI port.
- Please use DVI-D port only. may not used with DVI-I or DVI-S. Also may not be used by port converter. (D-sub, HDMI, DP)

So you probably want to skim that overlockers thread or ask there to be completely sure before you buy 2.

Also, on a side note, the off-grade one is unavailable now on Amazon :ohdear:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

I read about that monitor itt but I've read elsewhere that the GTX 970 starts losing some of its oomph at 1440. If true, I don't know if it'd be right for me. My main goal in upgrading is to be able to run new games that come out for a couple years at as close to ultra settings as possible at a smooth 60 or above FPS. I think I'd rather sacrifice the extra resolution to achieve that. Then, maybe in a few years when 4K gets cheaper, make the jump to that with another new monitor and GPU.

Yeah it's really going to depend on the game. I have MSI 970 paired with a QX2710 and I can run BF4 and War Thunder on basically as high as they'll go and produce 60+ frames. Alternatively, Total War: Attila averages like 25 in its benchmark, but I think that has more to do with that game's engine being pretty poo poo.

YMMW, but IMO the 970 seems to push 1440p just fine.

Also, on the QX2710, the off-grade panel is gone from Amazon, but it's still around on Newegg. For $219 now.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 9, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Dapper Dan posted:

Yeah, they're both IPS (Well, the ASUS is PLS) but the ASUS is more expensive. It is tough to chose, though I don't want to wait so long both of them go off sale.

FWIW, a bunch of posters here, myself included, picked up a Qnix QX2710 from Amazon/EBay/NewEgg. It's a Korean monitor that uses a Samsung PLS panel. Stand is kind of poo poo, but you can get one for as low as $210 if you buy the off-grade one. It sounds risky, but I don't think anyone in the thread had enough problems to not be satisfied with the purchase or consider trying to return it. Picture is absolutely outstanding for the price, I had a $200 Samsung TN sitting next to it and it's not even comparable.

If you go back ~10 pages you should find a lot of that discussion.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 21, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
What's messed up about that is that is far worse then most of the Qnix examples I saw when buying the 2710, and that's a brand name, $800 monitor. gently caress.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

HERAK posted:

I'm in need of a new monitor and as much as i would like the Acer predator I can't really justify the £700 it would cost. So that leave me with the Korean ips displays on ebay, i would really prefer a matte screen so is this one the one to go for? Or would one of the off-grade ones be fine or the perfect pixel ones be worth paying extra for?

Am i right in thinking that if it only has a dvi-d port there is a chance it will overclock?

As long as you get a QX2710 with the single DVI-D it should overclock, yes. Don't get the TRUE10 version because they don't. Also from what I saw the standard/pixel perfect ones were almost the exact same, you just had a warranty that included major panel defects. Problem with that is you have to ship it back to Korea ...good luck with that.

I'd recommend you just get the off grade if it's 219-229, that's what most goons here ended up getting (including me from Amazon). 99% of the defects I heard about are only visible on pure black screens and even then are hard to notice. Dead pixels on 1440p are pretty tiny. When I got mine it had a couple marks on a black background, but it was absolutely worth it.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
It's a bit of a toss up because for a week or so this thread had 10-15 people buying Qnix or that other Korean special, myself included, and I don't think anyone was interested in actually returning the things because the defects were more or less invisible. I can only see mine under pure black and even then they aren't something that interfere with the actual picture because they are two .5mm diameter circles that are just slightly lighter then the background. Some people did hate their mounts though.

If price is at all an issue (I could never afford a 270BU atm), the Qnix is really, really good at $220. If it's not, then yeah you have other great options. The Acer defect thing is pretty ridiculous though when it's a $800 monitor.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 12:17 on May 15, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

th3t00t posted:

I'm looking for a 27"+ 1440P or better. Is the consensus still to just gamble on a qnix qx2710? And which one should I buy? There's like 2 pages of qx2710's on newegg ranging from $229-$389.

It's not really a consensus, just a great option if you want don't want to spend the extra $150-250 for the usual entry fee into the market, especially true if you want a higher refresh rate then the standard IPS 60. In that sense, just get the $219-229 off-grade one. Its got pretty much the same odds of the panel being defective, you just don't get the warranty to return the thing, which you really couldn't act on in the first place unless you want to figure out where and how to mail the thing back to a distributor in Korea. Do not get the TRUE10 models, or anything that comes with more then the single DVI-D port if you are interested in OCing to 96hz.

90% of the Qnix crew here bought that cheap one, including myself. Zero complaints here for $219 and 100% stable at 96hz.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 20, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

th3t00t posted:

Anyone have a good link for overclocking a qnix 2710? I tried google and followed the steps on the overclock.net forums and i'm either dumb or it didn't work.

Do you have an NV or AMD GPU? I can probably help sort out an nvidia install, it was really easy.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Right now I only see the off-grade units for $210. Were you seeing those or the normal grade? How bad an off-grade are we talking, a little work to fix some broken pixels or major grief?

How fast a refresh can you guys usually hit on them? Any ballpark on what percentage of units will hit 90, 100, 110, and 120hz?

Nowadays most high-end GPUs are headed towards HDMI and DP for outputs. Are you equally successful with HDMI->DVI-D cables/adapters? I presume DP won't work, right? I've fed a TV with a passive DP->HDMI adapter before but I just can't see that working at 1440p/100+hz.

It's like 20 pages back now but there was a good discussion on that monitor in this thread, and some link to a megathread at some overclocking forum that covered mostly everything.

The off-grade, so far as any of us have seen, have really minor panel defects (seriously, less problems then most of the 270BUs reported in this thread), most only being visible under specific conditions like a black background. There's no guarantee they're all this usable but the vast majority I read about the defects are/were minor enough that most people don't even notice them without looking for them under the right conditions. The big difference between the regular panels and the off-grade one AFAIK is they don't offer a warranty for the panel on the off-grade. Then again, you're dealing with third party distributors in Korea, so following through on any type of warranty is going to be a fun experience.

The stands most people got were dog poo poo but it does have alternatives + VESA mounting options. BLB was also a problem on some because of poor construction, but you could open up the bezel (which you have to do to change the stand) and fix a lot of those as well. Instructions in that OC megathread seemed easy enough, and there were goons who did both without much complaint.

The OC'able models were the specific ones that only had the single DVI-D ports, there were others in the family (under the TRUE10 model) with more ports but couldn't be overclocked (I think they used a seperate panel from AUO instead of the Samsung PLS). The amount of OC varied per monitor, nearly everyone could take it up to 96hz after installing the drivers, some could go as high as 110/120 but it often artifacts at that level. If I had to put percentages I'd say 85-95% will do 96hz, and <50% will push over 100 reliably.

I didn't use any adapters for the input as my 970 has the DVI out, so no comment there.

All in all, for the price of the off-grade it's probably the best 1440p deal we'll find anywhere at this point, by a pretty significant margin if you want something higher then 60hz. I had an almost brand new, $220 Samsung 27" TN next to it on my desk the first few weeks and the difference was substantial. The higher priced "normal" versions of Q2710 don't really offer any additional reliability for the additional $80-150 they seem to cost. If price isn't a concern though, the other options available are probably a safer bet since you'll be dealing with established companies and have warranty options. Then again, you're also paying nearly 4x as much.

If you're running a Titan or something, I'd say just wait like 6 months for the G-Sync options to improve. If you're price conscious, this is a great monitor to do some reading on.

It's certainly a roll of the dice and there's no guarantee on anything, but we had like 15-20 goons take this option, myself included, and I don't think anyone was actually unhappy with it.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 4, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Schiavona posted:

Trip report for the off-grade Qnix 2710.

It's baller as heck. There's one dead pixel, and a dark stripe of red (I have no idea what this is caused by, but I assume it's what makes it off-grade?) in an L shape that's invisible unless the screen is black in a room with no light, which I rarely, if ever do. I'm absolutely happy with the monitor, especially for $195.

I bought the HP monitor Don Lapre recommended, and while taking a brand-new monitor apart is terrifying, it was easy to take the old stand off and get this new one on.

I'll probably be loving with the colors/color profiles in the next few days (I have no idea what's going to change, so hooray experimenting) and trying to OC it, but I can definitely join the chorus of folks saying that for the casual user, these are great.

Also it somehow got from Korea to Buffalo, NY in 2 days. I have no idea how they ship something of this weight halfway around the world and get it to me in 72 hours, tops, and still make a profit at $195.

Nice, you may be able to do something about the dead pixel btw, something about rubbing it with a soft cloth or using one of those pixel mapping programs. Should be more info below, along with the OC stuff you'll need. And yeah, mine got to Chicago in 2 days as well, with a nice little broken English note in the box. Incredible.

https://www.overclock.net/t/1384767/official-the-qnix-x-star-1440p-monitor-club

Mazz fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jun 12, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Don Lapre posted:

Some people paid $600 for glossy ones when they dried up

That seems like a huge mistake given the matte ones are already semi-glossy.

Also, tbh I'd always just suggest the off grade ones because of all the ones reported the defects are really minor (not visible in most situations) and you slash the price by like another 25%.

2 of them for $450 is an incredible loving deal.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Looselybased posted:

I'm a pretty big gamer but I don't have the budget (or the patience) to wait for the upwards of $600 dollar GSYNC monitors to come out. How are those Qnix monitors for gaming?

Depends on what you play. If you're twitch gaming the input lag can start to get noticeable (like most IPS with 6+ ms response). I'll play BF4, War Thunder and a bunch of slower games like Skyrim and assorted RTS just fine.

The refresh OC is one perk most others don't have though (for under $700), if you can take advantage of it.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 15, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

BurritoJustice posted:

AFAIK no DL-DVI active adaptors support greater than 60Hz 1440p, as the refresh rates that people are pushing with QNIX's are way out of pixel clock spec for DVI. I wouldn't expect this to change.

Would this be the part of the reason why the OC can vary so much, including by cable?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Yeah 4k at 27" is pretty rough in 2 ways: text gets small as hell for most apps, and your video card now has to render a poo poo load more data per frame. I'd try to find somewhere you can see it in person before jumping from 1440p to 4k.

I'm not saying don't do it, just that I'm using a 1440p 27 and I don't think I'd want 4k at this size.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 10, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Truga posted:

We can't afford QA for our $1000 monitors, sorry :(

But yeah, I really wonder what is going on there. These all look like really good monitors, but are plagued by the dumbest poo poo ever.

Even on low end monitors I could understand it, but you're selling monitors at almost the literal top of the consumer market. You have to assume these things will be coming back immediately for poo poo like that. It's just throwing away money.

I guess there is the case that it was totally the panels from AUO though and Acer had orders to fill, especially while they were still the special, high demand 144hz snowflake. Still real dumb though.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 14, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

ImmovableSquid posted:

I'm not really the most up to date with my PC gaming. The best example I can think of is about 10% frame drop while playing Skyrim when turning too quickly (more than 45 degrees in less than a second) but that sounds a lot more like a bottle neck in texture loading to me (a shot in the dark on my part) as well as the constant complaint of screen tearing and that thing where it's like a combined dropped frame and a screen tear where for some fraction of a second you see a weird frame that is held too long but is a composite of two different frames (whatever that is).

Sorry, I really can't think of any concrete examples of the issues off the top of my head. I guess my main complaints are fame drop and screen tears and I'm looking for a way to address them. Could those be caused by a garbage HDTV to desktop computer via monoprice hdmi? Some kind of synching issue or inability to handle variable refresh rates (if that's a thing)? Or is that not really possible with a digital signal?

Also, if you're running any type of ENB/texture packs with Skyrim, it will blast through your available VRAM pretty quickly. I can play the base game will no issues whatsoever with my 970, but when I tack on my huge list of mods + ENB and I get pretty bad tearing when turning fast and such, like you said. With a lower amount of VRAM, like 2GB on a 7870, I could see that issue arise even without the mods.

If the issue is isolated to Skyrim or SoM at high graphics, it's probably just your card showing it's age over anything else specifically, especially in the VRAM department. I can't be sure though, as like above, that resolution shouldn't be too taxing.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 22, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

SwissCM posted:

The Korean budget monitors are generally a good buy, but you have to be careful about what you get since the different models can be confusing. QNIX used to be good, the newer ones have a crappy backlight though. I think the Crossover branded ones are still good from what I read?

This one seems to be okay: http://www.amazon.com/CROSSOVER-2795-QHD-AHIPS-LED/dp/B00TERTMI6

Caveats are is that the stands are kinda poo poo on these monitors (not really a problem if you have a sturdy desk) and quality control can occasionally be iffy... apparently? Honestly everyone I know has had fantastic luck with them. You might get a dead pixel but they're so small that you can't really notice them. You can overclock them for higher refresh rates if you're feeling adventurous too.

Did the Qnix get so much worse as to discard the fact the off grade is still $200? It's so good for the price, or at least was.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Captain Yossarian posted:

You can get cheap or you can get good. TN is cheap but not good.

If you are willing, the off grade Qnix was both cheap and good for a lot of us.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I really feel like we need an new OP that covers the Korean IPSs in detail because I see so many posts come through here where people should at least know about those before jumping right to the Dells and $800 Acers of the world. That, and the number of posters that start their search with the OP and its 3 year old choices.

It's worse then even the GPU thread.

I'd make one, but I don't have nearly as much reference knowledge as some of you on the other options, but I'd be willing to do an effort post on the Qnix if requested.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 30, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

DrDork posted:

The automatic and reduced modes actually look like they spit out the same values. I went back and fiddled with some of the timings and got it up to 96Hz fine, which is enough for me. Just found it curious that I had to do so while simple automatic mode on the 290X worked right up to where the monitor itself would crap out.

Not yet. Does that actually help anything?

I think if you don't have the driver some programs don't actually support the higher resolution, aka you only see it on the desktop. That's how it was explained to me at least.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1384767/official-the-qnix-x-star-1440p-monitor-club

EDIT:
From the readme in the driver folder:

quote:

Before installing that driver, your monitor shows up as a generic PnP device. That driver tells programs that your monitor isn't a generic 60Hz monitor, but that it's capable of more Hz.

As an example, without that driver, some games may run at 60Hz even if you have 96Hz set in your NVCP. But with that driver the games will be able to tell that your monitor is capable of 96Hz, 120Hz etc.

It has nothing to do with OCing, but getting programs to recognize that you OCed.

You don't need it with AMD cards because with AMD cards I believe that the method of OCing is using CRU. CRU allows you to set "native" resolutions, which games will recognize.

Also, I just realized I have to reinstall the driver myself, as I just moved and had everything disconnected. Might want to check your monitor status if you disconnected or swapped input ports with other monitors recently. If it's showing generic PnP, not all applications are seeing the hertz change.

VVV Corrected my post for that, thanks.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 5, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Seems even dumber to me when you can still get the Korean IPS that do 96hz for like 210-270. Sure they may be off-grade but apparently so are the $800 brand name panels :v:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Ambaire posted:

Not to hijack the thread, but in the new PoE expansion they added loot filters so you can set good items to be highlighted in a very obvious way so it's impossible to miss them.

Also, if I've decided that I don't want to go through the hassle of RMA circus with the XB270HU and 144hz isn't all that important but I do want IPS, is the PB278Q a good monitor?

If cost is a concern the Qnix 2710 is a 2560x1440 IPS using a $600 retail Samsung panel for $200-300, which can also be overclocked all the way to 100hz because it's so basic internally(120hz if you gently caress with timing). It's a Korean panel with a lovely stand but for $220 it's loving unbeatable considering you can buy 2 or even 3 for the cost of anything comparable.

EDIT: Its $199 on Newegg right now from the common distributor.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 11, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Krailor posted:

FYI - The $199 version is the off-grade monitor which means that you're playing screen roulette. You can look at the comments on Newegg for good examples of what to expect.

I know, I own one. It's amazing. The screen defects are literally not visible under 99% of viewing conditions, as they are two small discoloration only visible on a full black screen and even then they mostly transparent.

For $200 it was a steal and me and several other goons all had good luck. The thing is you could fully buy 2 for the cost of that Acer and have 2 screens or pick the better one and sell the other for like $150 on Ebay.

I cannot say there is no risk, of course there is. But at $200 I will definitely say I'm pretty tempted to buy a second one after my experience with the first.

It comes down to warranty vs cost. If you really want a solid warranty and all that then it's probably not what you want. If you like saving potentially $200 over similar products AND getting a superior product in regards to refresh rate then it should be very intriguing.

EDIT: VVVV AFAIK The other panels don't have any real guarantees on better panel quality, you just get the warranty attached for screen stuff. You still have to try and process it with a company fully in Korea with no US presence. For 240 it's worth a shot, normally they are like 280 which defeats the purpose of the savings IMO.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 11, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Yeah from the experiences in the thread, including my own, the off grades are generally still fine as most of the defects are the kinds you have to specifically look for, not like hairs in the panel layers or anything.

I honestly always recommend the off grade to people because you save like an extra $80 that way, which is like half the point of going the Korean route, the other being the OC capability.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

EoRaptor posted:

Monitor arrived.

So far, there are no stuck or dead pixels that I can find, and the monitor overclocks to 115hz, but begins to have noticeable banding problems at about 105, so I left it at 100 for now. Once it is dark I'll test for backlight bleed, but I'm not noticing any during normal conditions.

The stand is wobbly garbage.

You might be able to increase the OC if you go to that overclock thread, some guy had custom timing that did work for me, although I was more comfortable just leaving it on auto at 96hz.

Also yeah, the Korean stands are basically guaranteed to be poo poo. Mine was okay for a bit but it's starting to actually loving droop on one side. I'll have to grab something soon too probably.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Google Butt posted:

This is what I want right? Cheapest one I can find with the single bypass board + matte display.

If you want that panel warranty thing discussed earlier, then yeah its $279-299. The off grade is $199 at Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4JH2CA3490

I got mine from Amazon, but using the same distributor (MNW Global). It arrived in Chicago from Korea in two days.

EDIT:

Subjunctive posted:

It'll wobble when you type, and yes it'll fit VESA 75 mounts.

Yeah mine isn't that bad at all, hell my Samsung monitor is more wobbly should I try to shake the entire desk. Mine just seems to slowly drooping to the left :v:

Mazz fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Sep 24, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Hambilderberglar posted:

Thanks for the explanations. The only reason I asked is because Eizo has some stuff that looks decent but without the g-sync. Is SLI mandatory for any dual monitor setup even if I'm planning on using only one of the two screens to game on? The other would ideally be displaying text/browser windows/things that let me pretend I am doing my job.

I have a single MSI 970 running a Korean 27" 1440p at 96hz and a Samsung 27" 1080P at 60hz and the card doesn't even move from idle clock when both are on and doing things other than gaming. It's more than enough power for that type of use case.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Exasperated posted:

I keep hearing about Korean imports, what brands is everyone talking about?

This is the one I and a few other goons own, and I highly recommend:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4JH2CA3490

The off grade aspect basically takes away the warranty for the panel and slashes the price by like another 33%. Absolutely worth the risk from what I've seen, but YMMV. Note that this is specifically the single input (DVI-D) version, as this is the only one that can be correctly overclocked to 96/100+ hertz.

There is a similar monitor from Crossover and one that starts with an X? That I've also seen recommended.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 1, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
The crossover, X-Star, and Qnix single input all have lots of goons who've bought them, still no serious complaints I know of. Find the cheapest one you can and link it here, and we'll let you know.

I always recommended off-grade Q2710, but any of those seem to be good choices for the money, especially the $200 ones when they show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

BurritoJustice posted:

Newer QX2710's have changed to a different and far inferior panel. There was a furor over it on overclock.net that led to the 2795QHD being the suggested replacement.

I heard this mentioned earlier but saw nothing definitive, good to know though. Also pretty depressing, but what can you do.