Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Haha, the Dell U3415W has another promo code for 10% off till the 20th.

Just got mine in and it's pretty sweet. My LG 34UM95 is literally perfect for backlight bleed (the Dell has some if I specifically look for it on an all black screen), it's a bit more matte for better or worse, but everything else is in the Dell's favor. The curve is nice unless you're making out with it (don't judge, you would too), the OSD is much more responsive, I swear the contrast is higher, and the stand alone is worth the $50 difference I paid. The LG has nicer inputs for mac users but the Dell has much better for PC. Both are fantastic mixed-use screens, though, and 3440x1440 is a fantastic res for usability.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I plan to play BF4 too but there is no way my PC can reach 144fps on max settings. It should be about 90fps. Does that mean 144hz is useless for me?

Should have very low input lag, and a monitor will last a good bit longer than the computer not doing 144 Hz will. Buy monitors based on the next five years or so of use, not just what you have now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

DeceasedHorse posted:

So I'm thinking of replacing my Korean Special (non-oveclockable 1440 IPS). Is G-sync+ a higher refresh rate on the the Asus/Acer 144z gsync models worth it relative to, say, the Dell or LG ultrawides, primarily for gaming?

If it's pure gaming, I'd say go for it. If it's mixed use I'd consider an ultrawide.

If you're really sensitive to frame rate or play twitch games I'd still say *sync.

Also, is this replacing or will you still have the other screen? I'd say an ultrawide is the smallest no compromise setup possible for desktop use (although I have a 2560x1440 off the side of my 3440x1440 at home and do like having both, that's partly because a few things I do have a huge working set of programs). Two windows is pretty key and some programs or adding a messaging app or something on the side gets real narrow on a 2560x1440. If you're keeping the other screen, that'll be fine for stuff you check rarely.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

signalnoise posted:

I did the side by side thing for a few years and it hurt my neck because I was never facing forward.

Yeah, in normal use I use the 34" in the center and a really skinny skype window on the 27" right of it. Only when I'm using a huge working set do I put much on the 27".

Twin 27" is uncomfortable to use both of over long stretches of time, 34" ultrawide is considerably nicer for three programs.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Etrips posted:

What is the promo code / how much did you pay?

$810 @ newegg with the code DELLSPONSOR

It's a real nice screen.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Very nice. I could've sworn the Dell had a better input lag than that from other reviews, but that Acer is dead on for a non 100+Hz panel.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, for my use *Sync, 75 Hz and good input lag are all pretty big positives.

Thing is, being made by Acer instead of Dell or LG is a huge downside.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

That's odd, the anecdata I've seen around here and elsewhere is that bad pixels or dust was far more common than backlight bleeding on the XB270hu.

Backlight bleeding seems pretty common especially on newer screens. Apparently the 34UM95 and U3415W both had some nasty bleed issues in their first versions but mine are great. The more gaming oriented screens seem like they are a bit more prone than the prosumer ones. All from anecdata of course, so mileage may vary.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

I think it's an especially bad issue for the 34" Ultrawides vs monitors in general. (Also my U3014 had waaaay worse bleed than the Acer, but that's also anecdata and I think it was a pretty bad example regardless).

My 34UM95 has so little that I need a dark room to see it with a camera, and my U3415W has more but it takes a dark room to see a bit on the edges, so ultrawides can definitely get very nice. I've seen early adopters get some nasty ones, but I've also seen some guys get multiple 2560x1440 gaming screens in a row with bad bleed, not just brightness practically on the bezel.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

StonedogJones posted:

i think i am going to jump on the 34" dell deal at newegg for $800. as someone who has never worried about monitor specs (i am using a 8 year old dell 24" 1920x1200, 12ms response time) can someone tell me that the U3415W will be a huge improvement and will be fine for games such as Elite Dangerous and the new Doom game when it comes out?

I'm playing Alien Isolation on mine right now and it's totally sweet. I doubt those games will be the sort of millisecond twitch game where slightly higher input lag would be a deal breaker (and honestly good luck getting that to matter compared to my reflexes).

Regarding resolution:

The black is 1920x1200. It's a huge jump.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I'm doing perfectly okay on a 970, but 60 fps and maxed settings needs more.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Ryuga Death posted:

I'm doing dual monitors but one of my monitors died the other day. Is it really that bad to ask for a 27 inch with 1080p?

Matching is a good reason, but it is constraining a buy where better options are available based on older gear, which may or may not suit you.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

PWM free screens are becoming increasingly more common.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

thiazi posted:

VESA mounting question - I have a stand on an old monitor that is VESA 100, but my new monitor is VESA 75. I want to repurpose the old stand. I have seen adapters on amazon and newegg that state they convert a VESA 75 stand to a VESA 100 monitor, which is the exact opposite of my situation, but I should still be able to make that work, right? It might not be totally flush with the back of the monitor, but I don't think I really care about that. Someone tell me if I am crazy and not thinking through this correctly.

If the threads are provided by separate nuts rather than integrated into the 75 holes and at least one set of screws is low profile, then possibly.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Cinara posted:

Has anyone heard of a Korean or any cheaper offbrand 34" 1440p ultrawide yet? Really want to pick one of these up for work but the pricetag is still a bit painful. The non-curved LG one is down a hair under $800 which is better, though I am still not sold on if the curve is good or not.

The curve is good and the dell curved has been down to 810 on newegg with sales. It may still be.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Premium products would help too.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I think he's saying that the PAs were inconsistent, and the PBs being less so should mean they're up to the standards of the good PAs, which were good.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

How do goons feel about Ultrawides/21:9? I'm really tempted to get one as the aspect ratio is sexy and I'm running an old nVidia 760, but they're pretty damned expensive.

I have two. For pure all out gaming I'd probably go with some big 4k. For everything else, the width of the ultrawide is amazing, and the height of a 40" 4k is pretty superfluous. Smaller than that and the 4k starts making scaling necessary, which means that you're giving up real estate as well as messing with inconsistent windows scaling. I think it's the best non-gaming res and a real good gaming res.

Edit: A 3440x1440 is a wider 2560x1440, a 2560x1080 is a shorter one. Little reason to go for the latter, it has neither the extra width nor the really good pixel density, as well as being short enough to be awkward at times.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 5, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Also, I'd say a curve is probably worth up to 20% more than a flat. It's very nice, although a good stand is nice to have with it because it is more sensitive to positioning. You can also mix with flat panels without much problem, I have a curved 34" with a flat 27" next to it and it's not a big deal. That may change if you want to stack two ultrawides or something goofy.

I have a 34um95 and it's very nice but the stand and curve on my u3415w is fantastic.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 5, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

The Deadly Hume posted:

(because I gotta got a GTX 980Ti to do that on this size screen).

You really don't for a lot of games, my 970 is doing fine as long as I don't get drunk and buy the witcher.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Massasoit posted:

With a 1440 uw how often do games not work well? Thinking of getting a uw to replace a two monitor setup

edit: I only use one for gaming, the other is for chats, web etc

It's rare for anything serious, although movies letterboxing is pretty common. World of Tanks has problems with 21:9 aspect ratios, but that can be solved by running windowed. Kotor 2 has streched 2D UI icons, but it's ancient.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Massasoit posted:

I think I've seen that some of these can be treated as dual monitors - would it be possible to run a game 'fullscreen' and have some on reserve on the side?

Pretty sure that will give an even split, but there might be one that does other splits.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

MasterBuilder posted:

That's the thing I 1000 in the frivolous purchases pile so if I spend 600 on the monitor I have 400 for the graphics card and of course I want something that can drive the screen and make use of the full use of the gpu. Resolution prefer 1440 but I could settle for 1080 and size doesn't matter. Nothing else besides the computer plugged into it.

The monitor will way outlive the graphics card, so skimping a bit on the latter for the former's sake is a lot more palatable than vice versa in the long run, I find.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

I know what you mean, but like most amateur photographers (I'm a concert photographer, I don't do weddings, portraits, etc.) that part isn't a paying job yet (I'm an attorney, so money comes from there, thankfully) ... So while I will happily put money on lenses, a very pricey monitor right now is beyond what I need.
I absolutely see your point though.

On the other hand, unless you'll want the cheaper monitor later or the value of having access to the difference in price between the two screens in the intervening time, you're losing the price of the cheaper screen. Calibrated screens seem to be hold value pretty well and for that to be the main driver of cost for them.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Check that your photo editing software plays nice with windows scaling or that you'd be comfortable with a UI for ants, but if scaling or a tiny UI works for you that looks just right.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

Adobe Lightroom CC.

Also, and I think this will make it ABUNDANTLY CLEAR that I'm only beginning in this: You mean that due to the high pixel count the UI will look super tiny? My gf's laptop does that I think

EDIT: Disregard... I googled the problem and apparently it is indeed a "text for ants" kind of situation. It's back to the drawing board then! THank you so much for the heads up! :)

Oh, the text size doesn't scale up with windows' settings? Pity, it's otherwise a great match. 27" 2560x1440 is likely a good bet then.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The problem is that Windows' scaling is pretty inconsistent and so is scaling in various applications you might want to use, so it's better to just stick to 100% scaling until the industry gets its act together.

Yeah, it's why I have ultrawides, it's just super sad that programs for the best reason to buy a high res screen make one unusable.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Looks like there is a deal for the Dell U3415W on newegg for only $800 shipped at the moment if you put in a discount code.

http://slickdeals.net/f/8046953-led...more-newegg-com

Anyone gotten this monitor? Is it a good ultra wide for 800 bucks?

I've got it at home. It's probably my pick for the best monitor around for non-gaming tasks unless you're considering a 40"+ 4K screen or working with images/video, and the 4K TV thing requires some care to get a really good one.

It's a curved ultrawide (the curve is really a big deal) with Dell's top end stand, OSD and support. LG's got a better window management program if that's a real big deal for you but handling stuff manually isn't that bad.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 16, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

ijyt posted:

Is ASUS support really that bad? I really would prefer the GSync for gaming but I might go Dell if their support is awful.

Though there might be a difference between the US and EU divisions?

US ASUS is the one that got them that reputation, no idea if others are bad, but US are the ones that bend the board on a broken card and send it back broken.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

So that's what they meant by "it's so bad it's not even funny"

No, I think what they mean by that is the next time they'd tried to bend it back, and apparently had spilled something on it.

That's the worst horror story I heard.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

What about for gaming? It would pretty much be used for work, which dual monitors would be super helpful, and gaming.

For gaming it's quite solid. Good color, contrast and so on, can be pretty demanding at 34% more pixels than a non ultrawide 1440, but still doable for a 970 or equivalent. If you don't need high frame rate or *sync, it's pretty great.

Also, for work, I'd count it as one and a half monitors at least, it's usually quite doable to have three windows open at once, and although looking at a second screen is still awkward, it's not much more so than with two non-ultrawide 27" screens. By that size, the second screen is more for reference materials than active work windows or your neck will hate you.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Paper Tiger posted:

Amazon has the Dell U3415W on sale for $700 for Prime members. I bought one, although I don't look forward to the impulse purchase hangover that will inevitably follow. :v:

God dammit, I really expected the 810 I picked it up for a month ago to be the best price for a while. That was an expensive month of awesome monitor having.

That's an implausibly good deal.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

skylined! posted:

I had buyer's remorse the day it was supposed to arrive.

I do not have buyer's remorse after using it for two weeks.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Good monitors for 1080 content and so on can be had cheap, and for console use, a monitor can do everything a TV can, so there's no reason to double up on screens.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

FraudulentEconomics posted:

My payment for my LG 34UM95 got processed, I am beyond hyped right now. I'm going to make my laptop cry for a few months with it, but it'll be worth it for the space. I'm basically tripling my screen real estate with this thing and the monitor is almost the width of my desk. This gon' be gud.

That's how I got into my current situation. It's totally amazing.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

So many god damned monitors gently caress up displayport somehow, it's really aggravating.

Only problem with a 3440x1440 and a 2560x1440 on the side is that the drat things mess my windows up if I turn the narrower one on first. No idea why DP has to act like it does, that doesn't happen with HDMI or DVI.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

My LG 34UM95 has shipped! I've been checking into resources for ultrawide gaming and it looks promising. I'm also heavily considering running in windowed with a side window for games that don't play nice with 21:9.

Nice. Honestly I haven't bothered, and if you don't consider sideways letterboxing on movies a problem it's no big deal.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You should look at the Dell U3415W over the LG 34UM95, it's the better of the two monitors due to the curved screen and better stand.

I own both and consider the U3415W easily worth 20% more than the 34UM95. Both of those reasons are major upgrades. I also prefer the Dell's controls, the LG one is slow.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Etrips posted:

Can the U3415W be mounted to an arm? What makes it more appealing compared to the LG model?

Both screens can be mounted to an arm with a VESA mount, and the 34UM95 needs it. The stand it comes with succeeds at holding it upright and that's about it, while the U3415W stand can turn left/right, pivot up/down, and raise or lower the screen from right on the desk to probably a foot above it. The Dell stand is actively good, and from what I remember the VESA mount is much nicer than the LG one's four holes and a plastic sticker to keep the back from getting messed up if you care about that.

Second the curve is really worth it on an ultrawide. I sit close enough that the edges of the screen are at a roughly 30 degree angle to me, enough to cause a perceived brightness difference even though my 34UM95 is literally perfect with no bleed. Also, the difference in distance and angle makes stuff at the edges just enough harder to read and focus on to be annoying.

Lastly if I want to open settings the 34UM95 takes about five seconds to get to the actual menu, and two to shut down. The controls just aren't as good as Dell's. The LG screens do have a nifty program that makes running multiple windows a bit easier bundled with them that the Dell equivalent just isn't up to par with, but it's minor overall.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 26, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Reading this makes me sorta happy I don't gently caress with settings on monitors, as I purchased and am awaiting a LG 34UM95. I actually have read in a few spots that it's a crapshoot as to whether or not someone likes the curve or hates it. When I work with dual monitors I prefer to have them as straight as possible, so I feel like I won't miss the curve. I'll 100% post my thoughts about the monitor as I use it over the weeks for certain.

If you like having multiple monitors arranged parallel then you'd probably like the flat more. I always angled my side monitor towards me, and currently have a flat 27" to the right of my U3415W and mixing them is no big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Make sure it's 4:4:4 chroma, chroma subsampling is real ugly for monitor use.