Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I've been thinking on a new monitor and on reading the OP have a general idea - looking for a fast response time IPS display - but am not settled on the specifics, such as resolution, refresh rate and screen size. I sit about 18" away from my current 21" inch 1600x900 monitor so I was thinking 24" 1080p 60hz makes sense? 27" seems too big, and I'm not sure I can afford a high resolution or refresh rate. So I have no idea what to do goons, help :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Was directed here a second time. PREFACE: I know nothing about monitors and the OP is still unhelpful/indecipherable for me. Hold my hand because I am a big dumb baby.

Looking for an acceptable monitor to game at from 1080p to 1440p, 23-27", and is under 350$, lower is preferable.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

GrizzlyCow posted:

You're looking at an Ultrasharp U2415 for 1080p. Otherwise, you can shoot for a Crossover 2795 QHD for 2560x1440, one of those cheap Korean panels. It's the new hotness for cheaper 27" 1440p since it overclocks like the older ones but does not use PWM backlight dimming in any of its models. QNIX QX2710 Evolution II and X-Star DP2710 are basically the same, overclockable panel, and they're the standard recommendation.

So, uh, get the Crossover 2795 QHD.

If the Crossover is not available but the other Korean monitors are, just make sure to avoid any ones with multiple inputs or using tempered glass. The Ultrasharp U2415 is just here if you're feeling nervous from buying from a third-party through Amazon or New-Egg or whatever.

I can't find a Crossover 2795 except on ebay, which I'm a bit leery of.

I was eyeing these two monitors.

My biggest hurdle seems to be that the new Fury cards seem to lack DVI at all, rather 3 displayport and 1 HDMI. Maybe that's just reference, but I don't want to get a monitor incompatible with my GPU.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Don Lapre posted:

The true10 is not overclockable. it defeats the entire purpose of buying one of the Korean (corean) monitors

That QNIX was linked to me, so :shrug:

For Ebay, this is the correct Crossover 2795?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Is this BenQ any good?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

tesilential posted:

Yes, that's the one I have been enjoying for 1.5 months. The image is excellent, it's semi glossy (much less than an iMac) but has no glare. HDMI and DP work perfectly at full res on OS X, the stand is incredible. Low blue light mode is super nice in the evenings and really does relieve eye strain.

The only flaw I've found is it lacks a USB hub which means I have to connect another cable to laptop.

I paid $385 on Amazon. This is the cheapest way to get a quality 27" WQHD working on a Mac to my knowledge and should probably be added to the OP. I know I searched forever to find a Korean 27" that was Mac compatible to no avail.

How is the response time? I game so if it's not horrible than screw it, I'll pay for a good company/warranty.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

GrizzlyCow posted:

Here's the CROSSOVER on Amazon from a third party seller.

This one seems be the same yet cheaper?

EDIT: This single DVI-D input is worrying me about future proofing, and am finding I'm willing to splurge on an ASUS PB Series PB278Q, since apparently it's a really good monitor.

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 18, 2015

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

GrizzlyCow posted:

The 27QHD is different. It can't be overclocked. That Asus is good though. It can't overclock run faster than 60Hz, but if that's not a deal breaker, then there's not any reason not to buy if you're limited to $500.

I've seen claims it can be overclocked to 85hz though?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

DrDork posted:

That's a misunderstanding of how they actually work. You can force it to accept a signal up to ~85Hz or so, but it will not display all 85 frames. It will still display 60, with the remaining 25 simply discarded and not displayed.

Ah, so the guy doing it placebo'ing? "Yea, so much smoother *drops 25 frames*"

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I'm likely getting annoying flopping back and forth between monitors, but there is this fairly cheap TN panel Asus. From purely a gaming standpoint, is this a good monitor? I don't do much on my computer besides gaming, videos and forums so the added expense of an IPS is gnawing at me.

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 18, 2015

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Fixed the link.

Zorilla posted:

Your link is broken, so I don't know which monitor you're talking about, but no.

Asus VG248QE, 24" 144hz 1080p TN panel.

KingEup posted:

The added expense of an IPS is worth it.

But is 144hz worth it over 60hz? I keep hearing people talk about how a higher refresh rate is really needed, but high refresh rate IPS is either out of my reach or stuck on DVI-D exclusively.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Alright, going to go with the Asus 27" IPS for 430$. It's overall cheaper than getting a QNIX or Crossover and suddenly needing an active adapter, plus warranty. I don't get motion sick or have any issues with my current 60hz monitor, so :shrug:

Looking a bit deeper there seems to be a 2012 and a 2014 model, with the 2014 model being superior. I can't seem to find the 2014 model, so I'm wondering if it's just that the photos for it on amazon/newegg have never been updated, and I'll get the 2014 model. If not, can I get Asus to replace a 2012 for a 2014 model?

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 18, 2015

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

DrDork posted:

Soooooo, has anyone tried the ASUS MG279Q yet? 27" 144Hz IPS with DP and a USB 3 hub is pretty enticing for $600.

Yeah, I've been tempted upward even further because playing monitor lottery without assurances on that I can get the much better Asus PB278Q 2014 model. (apparently the 2012 model is awful).

There is also used BenQ2710PT monitors for 360$, which are apparently really good monitors.

God I'm loving bad at this, part of me just wants to accept a really good monitor is a huge loving investment, and get the damned, rather amazing, MG279Q.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Done, got the MG279Q. I don't think I'll need another monitor for what, 5 years?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Truga posted:

I've had my 30" for over 6 years now, and I don't see it not using for another 5 unless it dies.

I'm thinking that the ports simply get old, and unused, not that the panel will go bad.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Humans can effectively notice up to 500fps in the peripheral and ~200fps in a focus area. Human eyes are not analogous to a shutter or frame buffer, it's based more on response time and illumination and is really good at noticing even miniscule changes in light. 100 or higher hertz or fps is good enough but not lifelike, and going 200 or above will look funny and might even hit uncanny valley due to the subconsciously perceived differences because the periphery is expecting "500fps".

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

So I didn't say anything over 30fps is wasted and I personally can't see any difference at all with a 120Hz or '240hz' screen nor can most people. I do fine with 60Hz and I can see a difference between 60Hz and 85Hz but not 72Hz and 85Hz FWIW. 72Hz is ~3x what many movies are displayed at and the monitor refresh rate won't sync up with fluorescent lights either to cause flicker so its hardly an unreasonable number or something that has just been made up.

Fighter pilots tend to be the guys who can actually see and perceive detail at ~200fps but most people just can't do that. I think the average most can see is some where around 45fps but elderly people are included in that average which probably won't apply to most people here or gamers in general. I don't know what it is for younger people 30 and under but I think its safe to say you almost certainly won't need anything near 200Hz or for that matter 120Hz to get smooth game play.

Nah, what your thinking about for fighter pilots is visual acuity, which is more the ability to resolve detail from the rods inside the eye. Human ability to detect light changes, which is what constitutes a different "frame", is much more basic than that, not to say variance isn't possible but it's much more even across the spectrum. But that doesn't mean you won't start having smooth image quality at 60hz and greater, what I mean is that the differences are detectable by the human eye up until 500fps, and are a sliding scale of "real". 120hz is smooth, but the eye doesn't see it as "real" because the light in reality is updated at a different speed than the light for the generated image on the screen. It's not an argument for 200hz monitors though, but I could see it being one for "full immersion VR!".

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

BurritoJustice posted:

Supposedly the limitation is due to it being the only monitor that allows Freesync and overdrive at the same time, and the complications from this lead to there being a crappy range.

Freesync really is a rainforest compared to the nice walled garden of GSync, there is no consistency in the experience between monitors which is a real hallmark of GSync.

I'm getting mine tomorrow, will see if I can disable overdrive and get a better Freesync range in return. What the hell does Overdrive do for me anyway?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

BurritoJustice posted:

Keep overdrive on, you'll have godawful motion blurring otherwise. Even the fastest of TN screens look like arse without some form of overdrive.

The Asus MG279Q is an IPS screen?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

BurritoJustice posted:

Yes, which is why it is even worse to not have overdrive. IPS screens need overdrive even more than TN screens.

Ah, okay misunderstood you. I take it then that most other Freesync monitors have either ghosting issues or are TN panels?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Guess I'll be RMAing my Asus, half the screen has vertical lines and they appear independent of input used. Jesus loving christ, can I never get anything nice in my life?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

So I finally got my ASUS MG279Q back today. Or, rather ASUS didn't repair my old one but sent me an entirely new one. Wondering if warranty still holds.

Well, I have duplicate cables and stand so yay? Is this stand likely to be compatible with other monitors?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Salt Fish posted:

Cool, thats good to know. Thanks again; do you have any other suggestions for freesync IPS 1440p high refresh rate monitors?

ASUS MG279Q?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

DrDork posted:

I'd love a trip report: right now it looks like hands-down the monitor to get if you're on a AMD card, and pretty tempting even if you're on the green team.

4.5ms response time which is basically as good as it gets for displays, really good colors, easy to use menu, bright but not overwhelming, DP on it doesn't misbehave, excellent and easy to use stand (although a bit heavy), doesn't hurt eyes, almost no ghosting, very good Freesync range. I moved from a 20" TN panel so maybe not the most objective review, but I honestly don't think I'll be getting a new monitor unless there is some drastic change in display tech because wow, 27" is fantastic and 1440p IPS is great.

I really can't fault it beyond that the first panel I received had screen issues, but ASUS was polite enough to send me an entirely new MG279Q with all accessories and paid for the shipping so can't honestly complain about customer service either :v:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I would say that ASUS is the better company, and that if you need Gsync I might wait until ASUS releases such a monitor. The Acer monitor quality level is an aberration TBH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Freesync is monitor firmware and based on the Adaptive Sync VESA spec so it's basically free but performance is largely dependent on firmware/processor inside monitor to actually perform well so i'm not surprised current implementations are kind of lovely, and GSync is (traditionally) an ASIC or FPGA, which costs 40-50$ depending on production runs not counting the cost to integrate it into the monitor.

I would spring for GSync easily if it cost $100 more vs a monitor that didn't have it, not so much $200, but it's a niche feature right now so Nvidia could easily charge a large premium for it. VESA in general probably isn't really putting their foot down to rush implementing Adaptive Sync until Intel comes out with their own implementation, and that's not going to happen until Iris Pro becomes relevant.

Intel would have to start sticking Iris Pro in i3s for that to happen.