Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Quornes posted:

Whats a good monitor I can for under $200? Not looking for some massive thing, but definitely want something over 20". I'm currently considering this one, just want to check that its a good buy.

ASUS VX VX228H 21.5-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-293M3-IPS-LED-23-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B009H0XQRS

If 23" isn't too big for you, this one seems to be a good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

uaciaut posted:

Was wondering if my question was phrased poorly or if there simply isn't any monitor that goons think is worth buying that's within that low price-range. I really would be stretched to cough up more dough :<

How about either of these:

http://www.amazon.com/AOC-i2267fw-22-Inch-Frameless-Monitor/dp/B00CLZ047Q/

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-CFGKT-IPS-LED-21-5-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B009H0XQPU/

Both IPS, ~22in, and Amazon has them on sale for equal or less than the one you linked. The Samsung is a TN.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Cerepol posted:

Is there any decent IPS 120HZ 1440 monitor out there?

I've been searching and they are all drat expensive am I SOL for wanting one for under $500?

Such things exist only in the Platonic Heavens. The closest we mortals can come to them are the Korean monitors that can usually be overclocked to 96hz, though you might get lucky and push one to 120.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I'm not sure they actually have, considering some goons reported there was hair in their monitors or whatever.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Is there any news on when Asus will release a gsync 1440p IPS monitor?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

How is the frame rate limit actually implemented in code? Does the driver simply block a present call until the "right" amount of time has passed? That seems like it would still introduce some latency even if the monitor supports *sync.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Found this where durante describes the gedosato implementation of frame capping: http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=715

That's interesting, and confirms what I was thinking. Frame rate capping seems to have the same input lag problem as vsync when you're rendering too fast, except the interval you wait for is configured by the user. Definitely seems like uncapped frame rate with fast sync is the way to go.

That predictive waiting system is pretty cool. Also makes me wonder if phones and laptops can save some power by putting the GPU in a lower-power state during the waiting period.

e: Good god it's impossible to read the slides on the fast sync video. People should be banned from making slides with anything other than black-white contrast for text.

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 18, 2016

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The IPS, the difference between 4ms and 1ms is mostly unnoticeable, the difference between both contrast and color on an IPS screen vs a TN one is very noticeable, the IPS one gets much better viewing angles to boot.

Also worth pointing out that those numbers are the panel's response time, but what you really care about is the display lag, which includes all the delay from the monitor's internal processing. It's conceivable that some IPS monitor could have less display lag than some TN monitor even if it has a higher response time.

I don't think response time numbers are comparable between manufacturers either? They're all gray to gray but they never say which gray to gray.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Isn't there some software that can take care of more complicated snapping configurations for Windows? I think the original LG ultrawide came with something like that

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The XB271HU is the better of the two, the PG279Q has problems with backlight bleed that the XB271HU avoids, also the XB271HU has a newer panel with less QC issues.

Is that still true? It sounds like they may have fixed it last year:

http://edgeup.asus.com/2016/03/17/on-backlight-bleed-with-the-rog-swift-pg279q-gaming-monitor/

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It does not sound like they fixed the underlying issues causing the problem but better QC should help since a very small number of the monitors avoided the backlight bleed in the first place.

Vintersorg posted:

I'll see if my MemoryExpress has the ASUS available on hand to see side by side. Right now it's "call for availability" and the ACER is in stock.

One of my coworkers has one too so I'll ask him about it. I really hope they don't have the problem anymore because otherwise it looks better than the Acer

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Kibbles n Shits posted:

yup. wasn't expecting perfection but certainly wasn't expecting a damaged panel, either.

Edit: At least they are letting me return it without too much fuss.

Edit2: It's been really amazing having 1440p @144hz for the afternoon

I had the same experience. Monitor came with huge cracks on the panel and couldn't be recognized by the PC at all. "Refurbished" :rolleyes:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I'm convinced Acer doesn't actually do anything at all to the returned monitors before selling as refurbished. If you buy one now you might get the completely broken one I sent back a couple weeks ago

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

my pg279q arrived and now it is all set up and it is the best thing ever and i love it. im just making circles with the mouse cursor and scrolling the forums up and down to enjoy the 165hz. cant wait to try gsync in a game

now that i have two different monitors, i'd like to try calibrating them. the op says to get a huey pro but that appears to be out of production, is there a new cheap calibrator i should look at? i'm using the recommended osd settings for both monitors from tftcentral but there's still a noticeable difference in their color

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Paul MaudDib posted:

Way back when the Dorkroom had a travelling colorimeter. Would people maybe be interested in a cheap colorimeter where the rule is you pay it forward on request?

YES

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I have deliberately avoided looking for stuck pixels or backlight bleed. Ignorance is bliss

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Wulfolme posted:

I have a question: Which feels more different, 4k or G-Sync? My monitor just seems to bore me at this point, and considering how much time I'm in front of the thing I could really go for something that makes it feel more refreshing, if a new monitor can do that much. I've already got a 1060, and I'd like to keep that upgrade path open, so it's a choice of G-Sync or 4k. Any IPS monitor with both only goes up to 60Hz, which seems to defeat the purpose. Anything coming out soon with everything and a cherry on top is well over a thousand dollars, and that's more than I can do.

I don't pull out the new games too often, so that's not a real priority. I'm in Photoshop and Maya a fair bit, as well as watching lots and lots of videos. More space would always be nice, but from what I've read about high framerate monitors, they just feel better to use and I would love that. This may just be grasping at straws altogether, but once I've done it I can move on to being bothered by something else. I feel like the choice could be between this Acer Predator and a Dell P model.

Which of those do you think would feel different, feel more alive, compared to an old Dell U2412M? (IPS, 1920x1200)

I personally would go with the predator. I use the Dell monitor at work and while it's nice it doesn't feel very special or anything. I have to use dpi scaling to read anything anyway so the extra resolution feels kind of wasted. At home I have a 1440p Asus which is pretty much the same monitor as that Acer and it's great. When I first got it I spent five minutes moving the mouse cursor around because 165hz is smooth

If you don't care about games much then you've got zero reason to be interested in g-sync. But if you want the higher refresh rate, there's a middle option between the two monitors you're considering: 3440x1440 ultrawide 100hz monitors. More space than the acer, higher refresh rate than the dell. I think they're generally pricier though

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

What's a good, inexpensive 27 inch 1440p IPS monitor? The mismatch between my pg279q and the 24inch 1080p Dell I have really annoys me now. I just want decent color accuracy (so hopefully it won't look too different from my primary after applying whatever tftcentral's recommended settings are) and thin bezels

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Can anyone recommend a good stand for three 27inch monitors? Ideally the kind that clamps to the desk at the edge so it's not using up space in the main part of the desk itself.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Paul MaudDib posted:

Anything Ergotech is usually a solid bet, and I know they make a Triple Stand that sits on top of the desk (not sure about clamp).

Looks like they do have a clamp variety but now I'm not sure if I want it, since it means the monitors have to be positioned all the way back at the edge of the desk. Maybe stand is better for a corner desk...

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Erwin posted:

I can tell you not to get this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006JG7G2E/

I don't hate it, but I'm bummed that I can't move the monitors at all. The Ergotech version looks like you can at least swing the outsides around a little. Both the one I linked and the Ergotech one bring the side monitors farther forward than the middle if that's what you're saying?

There's two things to consider, I guess. One is being able to angle the flank monitors in towards my head, like you're saying. The ergotech stand I found will let me do that.

The other is figuring out how far the center monitor will be from my face. It seems like with the clamp stand, I would be stuck with my monitor at the edge of the desk. It would always be as far from me as my desk is deep.

Once you put monitors on the stand, how rigid is the whole assembly? If it's safe to move I think I might get the non-clamp kind and move it around my desk until I find a comfortable spot.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

If you still haven't made a decision, I bought this from a company called Duronic last year and its been rock solid. Its pricey, but I haven't had any issues and it was pretty painless to setup and teardown for a desk move. The description on amazon is a bit off in that each arm can fit a monitor of up to 17 lbs, rather than the whole thing.

This looks pretty good. Are you using 27inch monitors? Does it sag at all?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The Dennis System posted:

My computer is hooked up to my TV and I occasionally read the internet on my TV. When I recently got a new TV, I was stunned to find that all the text on my computer and all the text on the internet look completely different on the new TV. All text on the old TV was thin and long, and all text on the new TV is short and squat, and also small. Resolution and scaling from the computer is the same as it was before. Weird that TV's would "render"(I don't know if render is the correct word) text differently. Well, that's my story.

This sounds like the effect of chroma subsampling, maybe. Did either of the two TVs have text that looks like your monitor?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The Asus pg279q is exactly the same except for bezels, stand, and OSD, and I'm very happy with mine. 1440p/165hz/27inch is almost the perfect balance of screen space, physical size, and refresh rate. If you can stomach the price difference, the OSD on the Asus is really easy to use, whereas I've heard that the Acer OSD kinda sucks. (Acer users confirm/deny that please)

HDR would be cool but I'm ok with not having it on a monitor for another 5-7 years, since you can get big TVs with decent HDR for like $600

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Magic Underwear posted:

My 5 year-old korean noname 27" monitor died today and it seemed like a good opportunity to spend a lot of money on an upgrade from 60hz. Since there are apparently only like 4 monitors that are 27", 1440p, IPS, and 144hz, I looked at them all and summarily ordered an "AOC AG271QG" because it costs $100 less than the others. I'm not going to regret this right? It looks like they all share the same main weakness which is panel lottery for backlight bleed and dead pixels, so might as well get the cheaper one. TN panels are even cheaper but...TN is for poors, right? Backlight bleed is a lot less noticeable to me than shifting colors and color banding or whatever.

If you play video games you should look into monitors with variable refresh rate. Of the monitors meeting your criteria, some will have gsync, some will have freesync, and some will have neither. If the one you bought doesn't match your GPU vendor, or doesn't have any kind of variable refresh at all, I would return it and get one that does.

Also, I don't think the panel lottery is a big deal anymore, at least for the Acer and Asus gsync monitors. They seem to have tightened up their quality control.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Pellisworth posted:

I'm thinking of getting a fast-refresh 27" 1440p monitor with G-Sync

Acer XB271HU is less expensive but TN, is it worth it to shell out another $150+ for IPS? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824011082

or maybe

AGON AG271QG which is IPS but it seems like I'd want to make sure there's a good return policy in case of manufacturing defects https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160298

There's an alternate version of the xb271hu called the "bmiprz" (notice the one you linked has an A in that word). That other version is IPS, and is the one you want to look for. Acer gave two totally different monitors the same model number.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Magic Underwear posted:

Buying a 1440p 144hz monitor has been a disaster for me because now I want to replace my expensive graphics card with a really, really expensive graphics card.

Same, and now I've got a 1080ti on the way to replace my 970. My pixels are gonna be lit

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Today I learned that my Asus PG279Q has speakers, and that displayport cables carry audio. I always just used headphones so I had literally no idea until I didn't have headphones attached and someone sent me a message in discord.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Deviant posted:

They aren't great, though.

No, they're really not. And the headphone jack appears to be mono, or maybe mine just has a faulty right channel?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Statutory Ape posted:

If im running a 4k panel at 125% whats my effective resolution

Im bad at math

Also most other things

3072 by 1728

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

PerrineClostermann posted:

Each eye sees 15, which the brain combines into a smooth, cinematic 30.

It's actually 12 each, for 24, which is then 3:2 pulldowned into 30

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I think people are throwing around "no input lag" a little too loosely here. There is always input lag, from a few different sources:
1. The time it takes the computer to register that an input event has happened (mouse movement, click, button press)
2. The time it takes the game to decide what to do with it (user moved the mouse -> change the values in the camera matrix)
3. The time it takes the game to render a frame based on the new state
4. Anywhere from 0 to nearly 2 frametimes worth of extra lag if vsync is enabled, depending on how the time the frame finishes lines up with the monitor's refresh interval
5. The time it takes for the monitor to get the frame and apply any scaling or other image processing
6. The time it takes the pixels to shift to display the frame

G-sync removes the extra input lag at stage 4, only if the game's framerate naturally falls into the monitor's g-sync range. If you do what Paul said and artificially cap your framerate to below the monitor's actual refresh rate, you are actually adding back in extra input lag.

I'll demonstrate with numbers, assuming a 60 Hz monitor that can do G-sync. 60 Hz means one frame is displayed by the monitor every 16.7 ms. If we take Paul's suggestion of capping the framerate to 2 FPS less than maximum, that means we're telling the game to do 58 FPS, or one frame every 17.2 ms. To keep things simple, lets assume the previous frame was perfectly timed with the monitor's last refresh, and now we have just finished rendering a frame in 12 ms. We're running faster than the monitor; our instantaneous framerate is 83.3 FPS.

g-sync off, vsync off: the game immediately declares the frame finished, tells the GPU to push it to the monitor, and the monitor starts reading the frame. no extra input lag, but screen tearing
g-sync off, vsync on: the game waits until the next refresh before letting the monitor see it. 4.7ms of extra lag, but no screen tearing
g-sync on with no frame cap: the same as either of the two options, depending on if the user told the Nvidia driver to turn on vsync when framerate is higher than the monitor's refresh rate.
g-sync on with 58 FPS frame cap: the game sees that it has finished a frame too early, so it stalls itself before declaring the frame finished: 5.2 ms of extra lag, but no screen tearing.

If you want to avoid screen tearing but minimize input lag, you should have gsync-on and tell the driver to enable vsync when the game is going faster than the monitor. If you do gsync with a framerate cap, it's equivalent to turning on vsync with a slower monitor, so it's strictly inferior.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Sininu posted:

Nvm actually

I saw your question earlier but I was browsing on my phone. I don't have any particular source, I derived that claim from how these technologies interact with each other. A framerate cap makes the game wait, and g-sync slows down the monitor refresh rate to the cap, so you put those two together and you have something that works the same as if the game was waiting on a slow monitor.

e: I also just remembered that I didn't account for Nvidia's fast sync. I don't know much about how it behaves in practice but in theory it should have less input lag than just turning on v-sync when you're above the monitor's max refresh rate. I suspect that it'll only be really good if you're rendering so fast that you're actually getting 2 or 3 frames done in the time that the monitor could present one.

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 26, 2018

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So I got tired of looking for a decent 3440x1440 picture of the B-1B for my desktop and just found four super-huge images and pared/cropped them down myself:

(not perfect 3440x1440, but close enough)

I am also a big fan of The Bone :greencube:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Zarin posted:

I mean, 16:9 has been an industry standard for movie theaters for approximately forever.

What aspect ratio would you have preferred to see as the dominant one?

16:9 was never a movie theater standard. Movies have always been even wider than that

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Personally I want the gaming monitor market to go towards ever higher refresh rates at 1440p but I guess 4k is happening instead

4k TVs on the other hand look pretty fire

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

TheFluff posted:

You can get zero input lag (which is absolutely not the same as a panel response time) with a G-sync monitor, but G-Sync only works over DisplayPort. I would also attempt to tackle the problem of getting game output to both a monitor and a capture device in some other place than the monitor, but I don't know if there's something specific here that I don't get.

As far as response time goes, if you have no signal processing delay on the monitor side (like in the case with G-sync), then the monitor refresh rate is the statistic you want to improve, not the panel response time. Provided you're looking for shortest possible delay between controller input and visible change on the monitor, that is. Again, there might be something I'm missing here.

How does gsync get you zero input lag? It still yeah takes time for the monitor to update its pixels to show the next frame once it receives it. Potentially a very long time, if the monitor sucks or has to do some upscaling or whatever

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

It's UHD and WQHD obviously

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I have the Asus 144/165Hz 1440p 27" gsync monitor and it's fantastic. 27" 1440p really is the sweet spot of being pretty sharp but not needing any scaling on most programs. I usually turn up the zoom in my web browser on text heavy sites just for comfort but I don't need to anywhere else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Is there any actual downside to CRTs besides the size and weight? Maybe a monitor company should sell a 144 Hz 4k HDR adaptive sync CRT.