Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
It looks like Monoprice is going to start carrying a version of their 27" with a scaler and more input options just like they do with the 30".

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=10489&seq=1&format=2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Apparently the guy in this dell thread had the same issue with his monitor: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/p/19332206/19696295.aspx

I know it shouldn't matter but based on the feedback from the Dell rep have you tried making sure that that the monitor is plugged into the DL DVI-D port on the 690? According to the specs for the 690 there are two DL DVI-I ports and one DL DVI-D port on back.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Tab8715 posted:

Is it capable of 60hz? Do any games support this resolution?

The press release doesn't specify the hz but it should be able to run at 60hz if you're connecting via DisplayPort. If it manages to ship with HDMI 2.0 then you'll be able to get 60hz via that as well but I don't know if it will be complete in time to ship with this monitor, if it only has HDMI 1.4 then you'll be stuck at 30hz over that connection.

All modern games should support any resolution since they just ask your video card what resolutions it supports. Your performance will probably be abysmal but it should run. If you want to get a rough idea of what kind of performance you can expect with today's hardware Anandtech includes 5760x1200 resolution in a lot of their recent GPU reviews. If you take those results and multiply by 0.83 it should at least put you in the ballpark for FPS on a 4k display.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

dog nougat posted:

My research indicates that it may end up being more difficult to use a high gamut display to make art for digital mass media (I really have no clue at this point, which it's why I'm going back to school). Would a regular 27" UltraSharp be better suited to my needs?

High gamut monitors are geared more toward the print/textile/phsical media industries. If you're going to be focusing on digital media then high gamut won't really do you much good since your target audience isn't going to have fancy high gamut monitors to view your work on.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Tender Bender posted:

My mom just got netflix streaming and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get it set up with her tv. She has a Wii, which of course can only do 480p with component cables. I was going to pick up a roku, but her tv doesn't have an hdmi port, and looking at the specs anything the roku puts out over 480p seems to be via hdmi. So should I just use the Wii or is there something I'm missing?

If her TV is old enough to not have a HDMI port then 480p is probably good enough for her.

If component is her only option you're going to have a hard time finding something that will stream 720p due to HDCP.

Krailor fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 7, 2013

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Captain Postal posted:

I'm looking to upgrade to a new dell 30" U3014 since they're 30% off this week, keep one 20" in portrait orientation next to the 30", and the other 20" on my laptop. Is it worth waiting for the new 4k monitor? I would not spend $3500+ for the monitor, but if there is something new at the top end of the market, will Dell lower their price on the now 2nd tier U3014? Or since the 4k 32" will be double the price of the 30", are these going to be pitched at different market segments so there would be no reason to discount?

The only way Dell would significantly lower the price of the U3014 would be if there was a 4k display from a major manufacurer that was priced competively to the U3014. I don't see this happening anytime soon.

30" Monitors currently fall into the following price tiers:

4k High End (Asus): $3500

2k High End (U3014): $1000 - $1200

2k Discount (Korean Specials): ~$600

Then you also have the outliers like the 4k 39" Seiki for $700 that's limited to 30Hz.

In the near future you probably won't see much movement on the price of the high end 4k monitors which means that there isn't much reason to move the price of the 2k monitors. If monitor yields start getting better then we might see a slight decrease in the price of the 2k displays but propbably nothing significant. We also might start seeing some 4k Korean knock-offs but they would probably still be priced at $1500 - $2000 and most likely be limited to 30Hz.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Filthee Fingas posted:

Trying to decide what's the best method of switching between my Computer monitor and TV with the PS4/Computer without the need to constantly be plugging and unplugging the hdmi cables.

I'm guessing I'll need to HDMI switches? Ultimatly I'd want to be able to switch between the TV and Monitor with either the PS4 (when I get it) and Computer.

You want something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=6415&seq=1&format=2

You can have up to 4 inputs and output to 2 devices.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Momonari kun posted:

More Koean monitor fun! I got a Qnix monitor that I thought did not have a scaler and assumed that stuff like bios screens would be in a box with black borders, but I got a full scaled version even though I hadn't installed drivers or anything on my video card. Might they have started adding scalers? Is there any way to check?

The easiest way to check is to plug something in that is known to not have a built-in scaler. Something like a 360, PS3, or cable box.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

The report on AMD possibly making Adaptive Sync exclusive to 290s and 260s is bad dirty poo-poo talk. I'd rather not have to regret getting my GTX 780 and basically whoever makes this technology change work for fast IPS monitors first is who I'm shooting for.

AMD only just started supporting this feature on their newest, Rx 200 (Volcanic Islands) based, cards. The 290 and 260 lines of cards are the only ones they currently make using this new architecture, all of their other cards are just re-bagged/up-clocked versions of older cards that don't support this new tech.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

uaciaut posted:

Was wondering if my question was phrased poorly or if there simply isn't any monitor that goons think is worth buying that's within that low price-range. I really would be stretched to cough up more dough :<

That has a TN screen which isn't really suggested. You should be able to get a 1080p IPS monitor on sale for around $130.

Actually it looks like Best Buy has one on sale right now.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Rakthar posted:

I don't agree with this at all :)

So, instead of "Don't buy a 27" 1080p you'll regret this and don't know what you're doing" does anyone know of any 26-30" 1080p monitors that look nice? Don't need more than 60 hz, mainly looking for colors / picture quality / light bleed. I'd potentially buy a second or third if the price is right ($350 or less) but that's a secondary concern.

Generally speaking Dell makes good monitors, you might want to look at either the P2714H or S2740L. Or if you're looking for multiple monitors at this size/res think about getting a 21:9 1080p ultra-wide like the Asus MX299Q or AOC Q2963PM.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

NihilCredo posted:

Does anybody play games at 1080p on a 2560x1440 or 3840x2160 screen? Does it look remotely blurry or otherwise unpleasant?

The situation: I've been spoiled by the monitors at work and I want to get a bigger screen for general use, especially coding, but I don't care about gaming enough to splurge on a high-end card to game at those actual resolutions; especially since I only recently purchased a 750 Ti that handles 1080p perfectly well without breaking a sweat. So I'd just need to not suffer literal headaches from blurry pixels when I want to shoot some virtual soldiers (and when it comes to non-action games like XCOM or Wasteland 2, I imagine I could run at native anyway).

1080p on a 1440p screen will be a little blurry since there isn't a straight upsample path. However 1080p on a 2160p screen should be perfectly fine since it's just doubling the pixels.

If you go with a 1440p screen and your video card can't keep up you could move down to 720p which should give you a similar straight doubling of pixels as 1080p on 2160p.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I picked up an LG 34UM65 at Best Buy yesterday for $570 (price-matched Amazon). I'm seriously impressed by how this thing displays blu rays and I think it may even beat out my Sharp Q+ 70" for a cinematic experience! I was just wondering if there were any other ultra-wide monitors I should be checking out for ~$1000 or less that could beat this thing while it is in the returns period. I don't plan to be moving to 4K in the next few years so I am really just looking for the best picture possible. Any ideas?

There's the 1440p version of your monitor, 34UM95, which runs around 8-900. The next step up from there would be either 4k or a curved 1440p ultra wide but those are closer to 1200.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender
They probably just did a new model number so they don't have to worry about price matching it.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

I'd always go for IPS over TN but is there any reason why you are looking specifically at that 4k monitor? The Dell P2715Q and HP Z27s are 4k IPS monitors which are in the same price range as those.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Internet Explorer posted:

So apparently Newegg has a promo code on the LG 34UM94-P. Down to 751 from 899. Amazon has for 865. I really want to pick this monitor up, but I was going to wait until July to check out that Acer Predator and give myself time to build a new PC at the same time. Tell me I should not buy this monitor to pair with my GeForce 760. Convince me to wait, goons!

I hope you don't plan on playing any games, there's no way a 760 is pushing that many pixels at a reasonable frame rate in any recent game.

(this just means you should also buy a 970)

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Smashing Link posted:

Does anyone have experience with pico/nano/mino LED projectors for light-duty home entertainment purposes? In other words, I am not going to complain if the resolution is not equal to a 4k monitor or even 1080p (720p would be nice though). We are moving to a new house and want to have a screen-free downstairs for aesthetic reasons, but being able to hide a little projector on a shelf somewhere and put out reasonable looking video off of an Apple TV would be nice.

The AAXA P450 mode looks nice, for starters.

The biggest issue with pico projectors is the low amount of light they put out. For reference the one you're looking at is 450 lumens while a standard home theater projector is in the 3000-3500 range.

Depending on how far away the projector is from the wall you want to display it on a pico projector might be totally washed out unless the room was very dark.

Just to be clear you don't want a screen in the room but you're still going to have a blank wall for the projector to use?

The real answer is to get one of these. :homebrew:

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

canyoneer posted:

There will be something as nice/nicer next year for half as much, right? Right? :shepspends:

Of course there will, but by that logic you would never buy anything.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Nitrousoxide posted:

Any great displays on sale for prime day?

no

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

ImmovableSquid posted:

I'm trying to figure out a problem that the OP doesn't cover. YouTube video of a video game, watching a bluray video or using my PS4 (all hooked up to a Samsung HDTV I've been using) all look fine; but playing PC games looks like (comparative) crap. I don't think it's the PC hardware, the rendering options on some of the games I'm playing are maxed out, but I'm still experiencing stuff like occasional screen tearing. Obviously my HDTV can display what I'm looking for (evidenced by the YouTube videos of the same games I play) but for those games I'm generally running at close to max settings. What's missing here? Do I need to invest in a better video card to render above the HDTV's pixel resolution (720p) and downsample (if that's even a thing?) or do some other kind of graphics card trickery? Or is the problem that my HDTV is kind of crappy with its max resolution of 720p, and I need something that can handle the output of my video card when it renders a game?

720p isn't much in the way of pixels these days. What processor/video card does your computer have?

Also try turning on vsync, that's one of the tricks the consoles use to provide consistent performance (along with internally rendering at a lower res).

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Cinara posted:

Has anyone heard of a Korean or any cheaper offbrand 34" 1440p ultrawide yet? Really want to pick one of these up for work but the pricetag is still a bit painful. The non-curved LG one is down a hair under $800 which is better, though I am still not sold on if the curve is good or not.

Crossover makes a 1080p 21:9 monitor but I haven't seen any of the Korean brands with a 1440p model. My guess is that the production runs of these panels isn't big enough to provide enough b-stock to support a 3rd party market in them.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Cinara posted:

That's what I was worried about, really don't want to go down to 1080p. Being able to have someone else's 1080p monitor in only a part of my monitor in a remote session is really nice.

With the general support and popularity of 4k you'll probably be able to get a pretty good Korean 4k monitor long before a 21:9 1440p.

I want to know where the b-stock monitors are using the 5k iMac screens that didn't make the cut at Apple.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

DrDork posted:

The ASUS MG279Q is close. It gets you 144Hz and good latency along with good viewing angles and it supports VESA mounting. Also has 2xHDMI, USB3, etc. Does not have speakers or a soundbar/passthrough, though--you're gonna be real hard pressed to find a gaming-grade monitor that does.

FYI - the MG279Q does have internal speakers, I'm not sure how good they are but they're listed as 2W x 2 Stereo RMS.

Also it states on the product page that it only supports 2560 x 1440 at 144Hz over Display Port, if you're using HDMI your limited to 1920 x 1080 at 120Hz.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Defenestration posted:

It's 2016 equipment req time! Help me choose a sweet monitor for work.

Background
- My job involves lots of looking at high res professional photography of art.
- And some light retouching in lightroom/photoshop (would like a larger screen for this purpose. would have a dual monitor with one of my current generic ones)
- I have access to a colormunki colorimeter that the photo dept will let me borrow
- My work computer is a PC, this will not change

What do you think, everyone?

If you can get someone else to pay for it there's really no beating the Dell 5k.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Mazz posted:

If cost is a concern the Qnix 2710 is a 2560x1440 IPS using a $600 retail Samsung panel for $200-300, which can also be overclocked all the way to 100hz because it's so basic internally(120hz if you gently caress with timing). It's a Korean panel with a lovely stand but for $220 it's loving unbeatable considering you can buy 2 or even 3 for the cost of anything comparable.

EDIT: Its $199 on Newegg right now from the common distributor.

FYI - The $199 version is the off-grade monitor which means that you're playing screen roulette. You can look at the comments on Newegg for good examples of what to expect.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

smackfu posted:

Looking to upgrade a 6-year-old 24" 16:10 TN monitor, connected up to a KVM switch via DVI. Used only for boring work stuff, and photos on the Mac. Zero gaming.

The landscape has gotten pretty complex since I last looked. It seems like my options are:

A 24" 16:9, but I would actually lose screen space so that's not really an option.
A 24" 16:9 4k, which would look pretty (on the Mac side at least) but probably need me to upgrade my computers and KVM switch.
A 24" 16:10 IPS monitor with tiny bezels for $300, like the Dell U2415. I'm leaning toward this.
A 25" 16:10, but that would just make the pixels a little bigger.
A 25" 21:9 ultrawide, probably has smaller pixels and is shorter, and full-screen mode gets awkward. Nice for movies?
A 27" 1440p, but I'm not sure how much space I would really gain, nice panels are quite expensive, and I would probably need to change my cabling from DVI.

Am I missing any contenders here?

1440p Korean is the way to go.

Krailor fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 12, 2015

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

ElehemEare posted:

I have an ancient Samsung SyncMaster 940BW from 11 years ago, being fed by a 970. This seems wasteful.

I spend all day at work with dual 23" Dell P2311Hs, plus a 17" laptop screen, and it's super productive for SSMS/VS/email/Excel/ &c.

I will primarily use a new screen for gaming and as a third monitor (with the SyncMaster + laptop) when I work from home. What's the go-to solution? I've spent a week looking and picking monitors is hard; checking PCPartPicker for IPS, 1080p or 1440p, sorted by Rating descending returns several monitors that seem decent but get poo poo on in actual reviews. I'd like to spend at most C$500 while getting something that will last a long time. Help me monitor goons, you're my only hope.

It kind of depends on what resolution you want to go with. If you're happy to stick with 1080p that you have at work then really any IPS monitor from Dell/HP/LG/Asus/any other manufacturer you've heard of will be pretty much identical and should come in way under your budget. If you go this route you'll probably want to stick with something in the 21-23" range, they make 1080p monitors larger than that but at the distances most people sit at the lower DPI of larger 1080p monitors means you start noticing the pixels more lowering the perceived visual acuity. Pairing one of these with a 970 for gaming will let you turn everything up to 11 and still run smooth (60ish FPS).

If you want to step it up a notch and move to a 27" 1440p the best option is really getting one of the Korean imports from ebay. This would be either a QNIX QX2710 or a Crossover 2795QHD. The price fluctuates around 250-325 US with the QNIX on the lower end and the Crossover on the higher end. There are two differences between the monitors that justify the higher price for the Crossover:
1. Newer QNIX monitors can't actually overclock, they report running at a higher refresh but are actually dropping frames.
2. The QNIX uses PWM dimming while the Crossover does not. PWM dimming means that when you turn down the brightness instead of actually lowering the brightness of the backlight the monitor strobes the backlight to achieve the same effect. This can cause headaches and increased eye strain in some people, while it doesn't bother others. It looks like the current monitors you use at work use PWM dimming so if they don't bother you this probably won't either.

If you don't care about overclocking your monitor and you don't notice any eye strain from your current work monitors then there's no reason not go with the QNIX. If you're willing to roll the dice a little bit you could go for an Off-grade QNIX, these are usually around 200 US but might have a couple of dead pixels or very minor discoloration somewhere on the screen. This is a good option if you want to save some money, it might sound bad but realistically you probably won't notice either of these issues unless you looking for them on a totally white screen.

At 1440p on a 970 you might have to turn a few settings down from max in newer games to keep high framerates.

The next step up from there would either be a GSync/Freesync 1440p, 21:9 1440p, or 4k; none of which will fit in your budget or be worth it with a 970.

Krailor fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 18, 2015

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Daviclond posted:

Just ordered a Qnix 2710 from a Korean ebayer but I may have hosed up. The listing was marked as "off-grade" and was pretty cheap - I figured it didn't matter because all those Qnix monitor are based on off-grade panels. Nope. This is specifically an even more off-grade panel that must have failed even more QC tests than usual :v: Here's hoping I get lucky and there's nothing too horrific wrong with it or that discount will seem pretty foolish.

It usually means that there's some sort of minor discoloration on the screen somewhere or some dead pixels.

You can take a look at the reviews for it on Newegg for a pretty good idea of what to expect. Some of the issues might sound bad but really most of them you probably wouldn't even notice if you weren't looking for it.

My theory is that the off-grade ones are just monitors that were originally sold as 'perfect pixel' that ended up getting returned due to some minor issue.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender
I just got a Crossover 2795 and it's got a weird issue that I haven't seen before.

When I first start it up the colors are off, example.

After 5 or so min it corrects itself and the screen goes back to normal.

The monitor isn't overclocked. I've tried with both a 970 and 750ti, neither of which are overclocked. I've tried changing the refresh rate and resolution but that doesn't change anything.

I've already started the return process but I was wondering if anyone else had seen this before or have any other ideas.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Exasperated posted:

So, I'm currently in process of building this: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/KKsTkL and I'm in the market for a new monitor. I'm mostly playing MMOs, and a few FPS but just single-player. I would like to stick under $800 for one. I've taken the quiz at TFT Selector and the Dell U2715H popped up and Dell has it at about $630 CAN. Is this a good deal, or should I be looking at something else?

If you're not looking for GSync/Freesync at 1440p you should consider a Korean import. They're around half the price of the Dell.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Monday_ posted:

Can a GTX 970 handle two Dell P2715Qs daisy chained on Windows 10?

You can technically do this but it will drop the refresh rate of the monitors to 30Hz.

This doesn't have anything to do with the video card; it's because DisplayPort 1.2 doesn't have enough bandwidth to push dual 4k@60Hz (effectively 4k@120Hz).

DisplayPort 1.3 will allow this but nothing has that yet.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender
If you don't care about overclocking the monitor then you can usually find the QNIX 2710 cheaper than Crossovers.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Kin posted:

Is there a recommended 27" or 30" Dell model to go for these days? A colleague at work is asking for my advice with a new monitor and i love my U2711 but it's been discontinued and the ones in the op are out of date it seems.

The U2715H is a good option for a 27" 1440p monitor.

Or if you want to get fancy they just released their 34" ultrawide U3415W

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Would people recommend that Korean 2795 over the BenQ GW2765HT if prices are equal?

That really comes down to how much you care about higher refresh rates. If you want >60Hz get the Crossover, if you don't care and are happy with 60Hz get the BenQ.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

pandaK posted:

Does the 2795 not have the swiveling that the 27hd has?

Nope, the 2795 has a super cheap stand that is molded to the bottom of the monitor casing. The VESA mount holes are open but if you want to get rid of the plastic stand you have to take the bezel off.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

xorex posted:

Does the stand on the Crossover 2795 allow for height adjustment? I can do without rotate and swivel, but generally like to put the height pretty low.

Nope, there isn't any height adjustment on the stand and there's barely any tilt adjustment. If you don't like the default positioning of the monitor then you really need to get some sort of VESA mount/stand.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

pandaK posted:

Okay just wondering for everyone who has the crossover 2795qhd this is going to sound like a weird question, but because I was a little paranoid when I first got the monitor I just want to confirm,

Is this the box for the 2795 that everyone else has been talking about? I ask because the monitor that came in it doesn't have the "Crossfire" logo that the promotional images show, this is what I see:

and the control buttons are on the right side instead of the left. All the labels do say that it's a Crossfire 2795QHD, but it's weird how the monitor itself has a different bezel.

Yup, that's what it looks like. They started using a little winky face logo on the bezel.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender
All of the 27" Crossover monitors come in that same generic box. What's printed on the box doesn't necessarily line up with the actual specs of the monitor inside, for that you'll need to refer to what the seller actually lists for the monitor you're buying. You really want to make sure you're buying the 2795 QHD; this is NOT the same thing as the 27 QHD or 27 QW or 2730 MD or 27 QWDP or 2763 AMG.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

DevCore posted:

I was wanting to upgrade to an "ultrawide" monitor soon.

The LG UM67 29UM67 29" caught my eye but I haven't been able to find one in person to see in person.
I've heard the 29" version is essentially the same height as a 17" monitor as they use the diagonal length to measure monitor size.

So two questions:
- Would it be worth the extra ~$120 to get the 34" 34UM67 model?

- How do the 29UM67 and the 34UM67 compare to the 34UM95?

I wouldn't go with either of the *67 models; those are 1080p ultrawides. For less money you could get a full 1440p monitor which will give you the same horizontal resolution and more vertical resolution.

The 34UM95 is a 1440p ultrawide and is what you should get if you want an ultrawide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

xorex posted:

Where's the best place to pick up the Crossover 2795 QHD?

I see one seller on Amazon and a bunch on ebay which are about $30-40 cheaper. I know its unlikely there will be any Cyber Monday deals on these, right?

EBay is the way to go. The two big sellers there are green-sum and dream-seller; just go with whoever's cheaper.