Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

So I got a U2410 to be my second monitor in my setup, and I have it connected via DisplayPort. I've noticed that when I turn off just the monitor (leave my computer up and running) that my computer will change everything to just one of my monitors and makes the Windows noise like a USB device has been disconnected. Is this expected behavior?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I'm not sure where to put this but I don't want to make a new thread. I know a while ago, back when CRTs were the craze, there were those lamps that you could put on top of your CRT that would reflect some light downwards and avoid glare and stuff. Is there anything like that for modern day LCDs?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I've been perfectly happy with my Dell 2408, but I have a feeling it might be on it's last legs. Sometimes it fails to power up on the first or second try. Are the Dell Ultrasharps still the top dog in terms of 24" monitors? Has monitor technology advanced far enough where my almost 8 year old monitor is now outdone by cheaper models?

I'm assuming that if I ran out and got whatever new ultrasharp model in 24" is out now that I'll still be happy, but if there's a consensus as to a better / cheaper model I'm all ears.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

That's probably bad capacitors on the supply board. A couple of dollars in caps and a bit of soldering later, I'd bet that would be fully resolved. Definitely don't toss it for that problem alone.

If you have the itch for a new screen anyway, someone else can do that cheap repair.

Oh nice, that would be cool to keep the monitor kicking around for a little longer. I am worried about how drat hot it seems to be getting too, is that a side effect of the bad caps?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

kimcicle posted:

I've been perfectly happy with my Dell 2408, but I have a feeling it might be on it's last legs. Sometimes it fails to power up on the first or second try. Are the Dell Ultrasharps still the top dog in terms of 24" monitors? Has monitor technology advanced far enough where my almost 8 year old monitor is now outdone by cheaper models?

I'm assuming that if I ran out and got whatever new ultrasharp model in 24" is out now that I'll still be happy, but if there's a consensus as to a better / cheaper model I'm all ears.

So now my 2408 doesn't turn on anymore. I made the mistake of playing on an 144hz monitor and now I think I'm willing to forgo the IPS panel for the buttery smoothness.

Poking around, it seems that Amazon has the Dell 27" monitor for a decent discount, making it around $540 or so after taxes. Is there any reason to bump up to the ASUS 27" gaming monitor?

http://amzn.com/B0149QBOF0

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The Dell one has a TN panel while the Asus has an IPS panel, TN panels have worse color, contrast and very narrow viewing angles. So basically the Asus one will look much nicer. Acer makes a similar one to the Asus called the XB271HU which is cheaper and a better choice overall.

:doh: Welp I guess that isn't the discount of the century then. Thanks for the heads up.

Does anybody make a 24" IPS 144hz monitor? Or is the market skewing towards 27" screens now?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Anybody have any input on the curved 32" Dell gaming monitor (S3220DGF)? I've been using a Dell S2417DG for almost two years now and haven't had a single complaint (the jump down from IPS to TN wasn't as harsh as I thought it would be), but would like something bigger.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

It looks quite nice. Colors, contrast. Blacks are good. Curve makes blacks better in borders. No dead pixels. At 165hz pixel transitions are acceptable. On high contrast sharp edges you can see trails. That is not usually noticeable in games.

Freesync does not work with my rtx 2060. Backlight starts to flicker from darker to brighter in games. So I play without gsync/freesync. They do not advertise it as gsync compatible, clearly because variable refresh rate doesn't work in this display.

The display is better than what I had. I will upgrade to a gsync curved monitor maybe some day, if a good one comes around.

Rtings review of the display is accurate.

Ugh, I was with you until you mentioned that gsync doesn't work. I'll have to mull about some more before pulling the trigger then. Thanks for your input.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

https://www.samsung.com/ca/monitors/ultra-wide/ultra-wqhd-monitor-with-21-9-wide-screen-34-inch-ls34j552wqnxza/

I was at my local costco and I saw this monitor for sale. I'm tempted to replace the monitor my work gave me for WFH (Asus VS248) because when I have it next to my personal monitor it looks like absolute trash. Getting 1440p out of a 34" ultrawide means the pixel density won't be absolute garbage, right? I'm using it for my work laptop so I don't need high refresh rates, and I would like a higher resolution to make sure I can have multiple documents open side by side. Is there some catch that I'm missing with this monitor?

My main monitor at home is a Dell S2417DG, so I would like it to look at least on par with it in terms of pixel density and color quality.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

K8.0 posted:

Or you could pay less money and get a 27" 4k IPS monitor or a 32" 4k VA monitor. Or about the same for a 32" 4k IPS with the same screen real estate and twice the pixels. Also it would be a slight step up in PPI from your other monitor rather than a slight step down.

Friends don't let friends buy ultrawides, unless you have some incredibly specific needs and money is irrelevant they make no goddamn sense.

The S2417DG is a TN monitor. It's good as far as TN goes, but just about any IPS or even VA monitor will outperform it in terms of color quality. A VA monitor may show some worse off-axis contrast shifting compared to TN, IPS is just a straight upgrade.

Do you have any recommendations for either 27" or 32"? I know that my 2417 is a TN, I'm just trying to illustrate the low bar that this new monitor needs to clear.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

K8.0 posted:

27" 4k IPS panels can be found easily by searching 4k IPS on Amazon, there are loads of options and they're extremely commoditized so you should just pick whatever has the features you're looking for with good reviews. Do keep in mind that 27" 4k is a significant step up in PPI even from your relatively high PPI reference monitor, so depending on your eyesight/viewing distance you may have trouble fully utilizing the display without scaling. Still, they're cheap and have fantastic image quality, so I'd consider it.

32" 4k VA monitors are fairly common and can be found by searching 4k 32" on Amazon. Again I'd just buy anything with good reviews that has the features you need. I'd stay away from tight radius curves, anything down to 1700R you should probably adapt quickly but the tighter ones are obnoxious. Flat would probably be my preference, though.

There aren't a whole lot of 32" 4k IPS monitors that aren't $1k pro artist displays. I'd probably buy this one if I were in your position.

So you don't have any recommendations other than some vague hand waving of "get whatever has good reviews". Also that monitor is almost double the price of the one I listed. Thanks for zero help!

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

What do you mean double? The LG he specifically recommended is $560.99 on Amazon.ca and the one you linked is $499.99 Canadian dollars.

Maybe you should have specified your budget instead of vaguely stating "Costco has a sale." Because if you can snag that ultrawide for $250 then that's probably a great deal and you should do it.

I don't know what panel is in that ultrawide screen, but I am perfectly happy with the Samsung panel in my Monoprice 34" 1440p ultrawide.

The ultrawide is currently $299 USD, and the one that was linked is showing $550 USD. Of course I check it again right now and it's $499, so not quite double.

I guess my budget was implied when I linked a $300 monitor that I'd like to spend around $300.

kimcicle fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

Well, I mean, in all fairness the price of a Samsung ultrawide on Samsung.com would probably not reflect the price of a Samsung ultrawide at a Costco warehouse. :v:

Unless I've grossly misunderstood what you've said which is possible.

I realize my post wasn't clear. :shobon: The samsung ultrawide is $300 at costco. The monitor that K8.0 linked (LG 32UN650-W) is $500, which is a bit over what I'd like to spend on a work monitor out of my own pocket.