Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Occasionally my Dell U2312HM will start doing this weird distorted ripple effect out of nowhere for a few seconds (which makes my eyes bleed trying to focus on text) and then the screen will briefly go completely black before coming back and looking normal again. Any idea what might be causing that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

dhamster posted:

Any tips when it comes to adding a second monitor?

Right now I'm using a 21.5" ASUS VH222H-PR and it works great with my aging Radeon HD 5750, but I'm starting to think that it would be useful for me to have a second monitor for multi-tasking or managing live-streaming software while playing a game. At the same time I'm not sure if I really need a second full size monitor for this purpose (I don't plan to be doing the "play Battlefield on two screens" stuff). Is it a good idea to use two monitors of different size to save space? Would it make a difference if I mounted one vertically?

I've heard a lot about the benefits of adding a second screen, but I don't know much about the details on how to make it work well, or which screens would work well as a secondary monitor.

If you're gonna take the plunge on multi-monitor, I'd go with two identical screens. It will make for a nicer experience in the long run.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Over the weekend I picked up a BenQ XL2420G for gaming, it's pretty sweet so far. I hadn't seen a high refresh rate monitor in person before and the difference from my old 60Hz monitor is pretty staggering. Not sure if the G-Sync crap is worth it or not, but everything I've played on the monitor so far looks fuckin awesome. I haven't seen this particular model mentioned much on the forums, anybody else using one?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

BurritoJustice posted:

Jesus imagine curved 34" IPS 1440p 21:9 144hz G-Sync. That's pretty much every buzzword spec of the past couple years in one. Acer is on fire right now.

What are we guessing the price is gonna be for that bad boy?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
My buddy is looking for a 27" monitor to use for professional photography without being absurdly expensive...can it be done with a $1000 budget? What should I be looking at?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Stan S. Stanman posted:

I'm planning on getting a 24" gaming monitor preferably with 144hz and g sync. That seems to leave me with limited choices. Anyone have any experience with the xb240h? I may look at the 27" version also. Any other suggestions? I'm trying to get the cost at $500 or less for the monitor but I don't want to buy a gaming monitor that's sub par. I currently have an older benq monitor that's been fine for the last few years but I plan to make that the second monitor.

Not sure how it stacks up against the xb240h but I got the XL2420G and gaming on it is AMAZING. I was coming from a 60Hz panel before though so it was quite a step up when I got this new monitor.

My buddy has a 120Hz non g-sync and saw mine recently, he said while it did look better it wasn't enough of a difference to make him want to go out and buy one.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Odette posted:

I just switched over to an IPS screen, and I can never go back. My TN monitor has been relegated to a documentation/music player screen now.

I have 2x Asus PA248Q at work and a BenQ XL2420G at home and I honestly don't notice a huge difference in the colors. Maybe if I saw them side by side it would be more noticeable. The XL2420G is sooooo buttery smooth in games though.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ghetto wormhole posted:

Is G-Sync worth it if it's gonna be a TN panel? I have a 23" IPS now but I was hoping to upgrade to 27-28" and I don't wanna pay like $750.

I don't understand the immediate hate of *all* TN panels. Is it really that obvious if it's side by side with an IPS?

To reiterate my previous statement...

quote:

I have 2x Asus PA248Q at work and a BenQ XL2420G at home and I honestly don't notice a huge difference in the colors. Maybe if I saw them side by side it would be more noticeable. The XL2420G is sooooo buttery smooth in games though.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

jokes posted:

What do y'all do with your old monitors when you buy a new one? I'm sitting here with a Dell S2415 that I have no idea what to do with.

If I can't find a friend that wants it I leave it next to the dumpster in my apartment complex with a note that says "FREE - STILL WORKS" and it's gone within the hour.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I had a BenQ XL2420G (144Hz 1080p TN G-Sync). Been playing a lot of PUBG lately and wishing I had a little bit higher resolution so I got an Asus PG279Q yesterday (165Hz 1440p IPS G-Sync). I am really really liking this monitor so far, it looks amazing. Gave my old BenQ to a buddy that was using some ancient Samsung TV @ 1366x768.

Initially the PG279Q was having a really nasty black flickering every few minutes. Replaced my old DP cable with the new one that came with the monitor and the issue went away.

I guess the only things I don't like about the PG279Q are the way the cables plug into the back at an angle, and the fact that there's no handle on it. I liked having the handle on my BenQ for carrying it over to a friend's house for some hot LAN party action.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

B-Mac posted:

How's your backlight bleed on the Asus?

Pretty much non-existent!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Why do they bother with built in speakers on a monitor like the Asus PG279Q?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Thermopyle posted:

The problem is when I'm gaming I want the gaming monitor in front of me and when I'm working I want the 4k in front of me.

Maybe mount them on arms so you can move them around as needed?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Incessant Excess posted:

Wait, there is a benefit to 60+ hz refresh rates even when you're not much of a gamer? How noticeable is a higher refresh rate when you're just doing web browsing/media stuff?

It is very noticeable. After you've used 120Hz or more, going back to 60Hz is painful. Everything is just nice and smooth.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Kaedric posted:

I was just digging around for a monitor upgrade and I saw that there were supposed to be 4k 144hz IPS HDR Gsync panels this year but it got pushed to Q1 2018. I'm dumb but they sound amazing, is anyone else waiting on these? Is it foolish to wait?

It certainly sounds amazing but it's not like there's gonna be graphics cards capable of pushing 144 FPS @ 4K for any graphics intensive games

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

willroc7 posted:

Well that sucks.

Is it a price thing? I had a 24" 1080p 144Hz and went to 27" 1440p 165Hz and it is glorious

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Somebody mentioned to me that running games in Windowed Borderless mode will be subjected to V-Sync in Windows 10 automatically, and thus have input lag. Is that true? Does it also apply if I have G-Sync enabled?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I have the PG279Q it is super awesome for gaming, you will enjoy it!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Start menu on all three, I'm triggered

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I had a TN panel in my XL2420G and it was absolutely fine. Sure the colors weren't as good as my PG279Q but I still absolutely loved the XL2420G.

If intended use is mostly for gaming and I had to chose between IPS or G-Sync due to budget, I would pick G-Sync.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Seamonster posted:

Klipsch promedia, eh? They're pretty good but I prefer my Logitech z2300.

Jesus christ, almost $800 for those? I've had my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 set for 15+ years now, they sound awesome. What makes the Z-2300 so special?

edit: oh it's because they are discontinued or something? Normal/original price looks closer to the Klipsch.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I want to get my sister a new monitor for her birthday. She's got an M1 Mac she would be using with it and works as a professional photographer. I'm thinking something around 30-32" would suit her needs. Any recommendations?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Volguus posted:

Seriously now, I personally believe that the best course of action would be to ask your sister, she would know what kind of monitor she needs. No, it won't be a surprise, but you're (seems like) both adults and it doesn't have to be. For a professional photographer I wouldn't go with M32U or whatever people itt like nowadays. The Apple one is holy-hell expensive and probably there are alternatives, but the best person to tell you what she needs is your sister.

Yeah, but then she won't let me splurge on a nice one! $7k might be a little extreme though :lol:

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Ask in the Dorkroom if an actual digital photog doesn't weigh in here

Thanks for the suggestion! I posted a thread over there and started a google sheet with some research.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Tiny Timbs posted:

I YOLO’d the Alienware OLED monitor after having some reservations about the text quality but it’s seriously amazing, and easy to overlook the flaws.

What’s the recommended brand for dual monitor arms that can support a 34” ultra wide and a 27” regular monitor side-by-side?

This one works great with my Alienware 34" OLED: Loctek Monitor Arm Fits for 10-27... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SSMHB4U?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

It's very well built. I snipped off the audio and USB cables. I agree with the above poster to just get two different mounts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Like most computer hardware, future proofing by buying an expensive product with the expectation of holding onto it for a long time is a bad idea. You end up not saving much money and you have to deal with heavily outdated tech in the second half of the product's planned service life.

I feel this is generally true, but there are some exceptions. For example, if you bought a best in socket CPU, I've seen them hold their resale value absurdly well, as people are willing to pay a premium to upgrade their machine without having to buy a whole new motherboard and RAM.