Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

OneZeroSix posted:

Ok I know the OP said that DVI and HDMI are basically the same, but are there any advantages with HDMI over DVI? My monitor has a HDMI port, and my graphics card has two DVI ports. I was wondering if I got a DVI-HDMI cable and hooked that up would it make a noticeable difference over my current DVI-DVI cable? I watch HD movies on this monitor so being able to enhance the quality of video even a little bit would be nice.

If your video card is outputting DVI than converting that to DVI wouldn't do anything extra for you that I can think of, unless they've set it up to break the DVI spec or something funky like that. Either way it shouldn't make a difference in video quality.

Edit: My wife went a little out of bounds on our $50 limit this year and got me the U2211H for Christmas. :3:

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

A few years ago there were a few cheap ~40" 4K TV's being sold that people were using as monitors (essentially equivelent to 2x2 20" 1080P screens). There were some issue with them, but I assumed we'd be seeing fairly inexpensive 40" monitors from mainstream brands were just around the corner. It seems like the idea pretty much died though and now most of what I'm seeing is just 1440P with a few smaller 4K monitors. Was there a reason larger 4K monitors never really pushed through?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Since it looks like I'm working from home until [heat death of the universe] my employer has offered to buy me a monitor for home. I'll likely be replacing 2x 24" 1080P displays with 2x 27" displays. I'm thinking that since my employer is willing to pay $400 for a monitor I might as well go 4K. I do some photography and occasionally CAD work so I'd imagine the extra pixels will come in handy. I'll probably get a less expensive 27" 2560x1440 monitor as the second monitor next time I see a decent deal.

My only concern with 4K is that I do a fairly limited amount of gaming and don't have the GPU to push 4k at any sort of reasonable FPS. I don't mind dropping the resolution down to 2560x1440 or 1080P, but I'm wondering how bad scaling would look? In theory I would think 1080P scaling would look fairly good since it could just quadruple every pixel, but I'd be curious for feedback.

Looking through the sub-$400 monitors on Amazon, nothing stands out too strongly, but the LG 27UL500-W seemed like the best choice since it actually touts is color spectrum. Anything else I should be looking at?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I recently bought an LG 27UL550-W as a main monitor and an AOC Q27V3 as a cheap secondary monitor to go alongside it. The AOC is giving me some headaches because it doesn't seem to present 2560x1440 as a resolution over HDMI. I entered the resolution manually using the nVidia Control Panel software and I do get an image, but it appears scaled as text isn't sharp. Any ideas how to get 2560x1440 resolution over HDMI to this display? I am using Displayport currently, but I have an HDMI switcher as part of my KVM setup that I'd prefer to use.

Edit: Also, is there a way to change how monitors get numbered in WIN10? I have four monitors total on my desktop and often use hotkeys to move windows around. Previously I had them set as 1 2 3 4, so the windows moved in a somewhat logical order. Now they're 1 3 4 2 so windows end up all over the place. I know I can switch cables, but I'd prefer not to do that.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 10, 2020

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

repiv posted:

In my experience 1440p monitors usually max out at 1080p on the HDMI input, theres probably nothing you can do about it.

The HDMI input is intended for things like consoles that output either 1080p or 4K - they expect you to use the DisplayPort input for 1440p.

Weird. I had a monitor at work that did this, but I figured it was just a crappy monitor. Spec's for the AOC say nothing about any resolution limits on the HDMI input.

TheDK posted:

what is the refresh rate set to? If something other than 60, try lowering it.

60hz. It comes through just fine, but there's obviously some sort of scaling going on because the text just isn't clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

pixaal posted:

Is it a long HDMI cable? You sure that cable is rated for 1440p?

Valid question, but I would think if it was a cable issue I would see the option for 1440P, but signal would either not pass or drop out. I simply don't get the option.