Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Factory Factory posted:

A Dell U2312HM is cheaper, and you're a bad person.

Trigger: pulled.
Thanks guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LorneReams posted:

Same, came in yesterday. I'm really surprised how light the thing is. What a stunning monitor...I thought I would be bothered going from a 16:10, but I don't even really notice it. I'm sure the increase in res helped with that.

Got mines yesterday as well. It's so fricken bright compared to my last monitor. I know I can reduce it but I'm still in my DAZZLED period. For now I just set the preset to "text" as to not burn my eyes out.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking to buy a monitor for FPS gaming primarily and I've narrowed it down to these two in the under $400 category: Dell S2417DG vs BenQ XL2430

Does anyone have an opinion on these? Is there a different option that may be better?

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The Dell is far superior with the higher resolution and Gsync support.

Thanks!

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I have a 1070 with the xb271whatevertheIPSgsyncversionis. It's perfect since "simple" games like that usually run well over 100hz and looks amazing, and the gsync keeps things looking great when it's being stressed.

For a FPS gaming rig would you pick the Acer Predator over the Dell S2417DG? At 24" they're both $400.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It's a very good deal at that price, and as far as TN panels go it's got one of the better ones.

I wonder if Amazon will price match this -- I have a few GCs there to drop this a few more dollars.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Geology posted:

If I have two GPUs in non-SLI, and each one has a monitor plugged into it, can I have a game running on one monitor in actual full-screen mode (not borderless windowed) and the desktop on the other one?

I do this now with 1 GPU so I don't see why not.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

B-Mac posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a 1080p IPS monitor they will rotate to portrait mode? Someone I know wants two of them for around $300 total if possible. Tried some googling and failed hard other than some more expensive dell versions. Thanks!

I did a quick google of 1080p IPS and saw this listed for $158 each: https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Dell-P2214H-LED-monitor-22in-with-3-Years-Advanced-Exchange-Service-an/3851769.aspx

When you go to the product page it shows the monitor in landscape and portrait.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Acer Predator (144hz IPS) refurb in stock if anyone was looking: https://acerrecertified.com/acer-predator-lcd-widescreen-monitor-27-display-wqhd-screen-ips-anti-glare/

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hi thread. I purchased an Acer refurb of the XB271HU (Predator) that flickers when Gsync is enabled and sometimes has a line down the middle until I power cycle the monitor. Google says I need to ship it to Acer for repairs. I'm thinking it's a good time to buy a replacement/upgrade from Amazon and just re-purpose or sell this one when it gets back.

What do you recommend that does 144hz+, 27", IPS? My gfx card is a 2070 Super if it matters. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

K8.0 posted:

Are you running at 165hz? That might be the source of the flickering. The line that requires a power cycle is very common behavior for a gsync monitor. Most of them will do it at some frequency. It's a consequence of the gsync module being a piece of poo poo. You can either deal with it or spend more money to get something that will have a different set of tradeoffs.

There are a ton of recommendations over the past few pages of the thread, it really comes down to how much money you want to spend and what you want to get. The Nixeus EDG-27s v2 is the most common recommendation, it's cheap, has the same panel as the XB271HU, also has very good overdrive, but only does 144hz and the OSD and stand are both poo poo.

Thanks for replying! I don't think I'm running it at 165hz but I'll check after work. I'm thinking through it now and I think I just need something gaming-worthy to hold me over until I get this repair back from Acer, then shift the Predator into the role of secondary monitor and retire the old 60hz one that's filling that purpose now. Some friends recommend buying a monitor from Amazon just to return it but it feels (just a little) sleazy to do that. I was pointed to the LG-27GL850-B which is $450 here but I'm guessing it's not a significant upgrade to the Predator? I'll start reading the last few pages of this thread.

e: I think I'll get that Nixeus and just make it monitor #2 when the Predator gets back from the shop. Thanks K8.0!

rock2much fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 29, 2020