Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Is there a recommended 27" 16:10 screen? Really not seeing a lot of options out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
My Monoprice IPS-Glass Panel Pro 27-incher arrived today. All the pixels are a-OK, the only flaw I can notice now is the colors are a bit different on the outer edges (particularly the left) than in the middle, but it's only noticeable when the entire screen in that color. (Also noticeable backlight bleed in the corners) For $340? It was a heck of a deal.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 3, 2014

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
The power button on my Monoprice IPS-Glass Panel Pro 27" decided to stop working altogether this morning after a period of it being finicky. Had it for just under one year - pretty disappointing, I won't be buying from them again.

I guess this means I'm in the market for a cheapo monitor to last until those supercool monitors come out in a month or two - not seeing any great deals at the moment...

Mozi fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 28, 2015

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
The power button on my Monoprice IPS-Glass Panel Pro failed with a couple weeks left in the warranty and I was able to have it replaced with a new one of these, 'Pro AH-VA CrystalPro LED Monitor.' There is hardly anything out there about this model so I though I'd toss in my completely amateurish review.

- It has a much better stand than the IPS-Glass, it's very sturdy, turns, tilts, and adjusts height. It's actually quite nice and I might hold onto it for future monitors.
- Rather than the backlight bleeding in the corners, it seems to get a little dimmer in the bottom left and right. Not very noticable, and much better than bright splotches.
- There are a few dead pixels, which is a bummer but not something by which to judge an entire model
- This is probably the 'AH-VA' thing, but there is a kind of filter you can see in the outer layer of the monitor that has a few imperfections, pixels that look slightly different. You can tell it's in front of the actual pixels by moving your head. Not noticeable during normal use though
- It came very well calibrated out of the box, which I found surprising
- Once you figure out the unlabeled buttons, the OSD is pretty navigable and usable (more than the IPS-Glass)
- The ports are easier to use, there's more room to jam them in. I remember removing a DP in particular was a pain for the IPS-Glass
- I don't know enough about monitors to say more. It looks good?

I don't know if it's the best deal at full price but I'm happy with it (and happy with the Monoprice warranty process.)

Mozi fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 7, 2015

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I believe that DisplayFusion allows you to do something like that (I think they call it monitor splitting.)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
It looks like the XB270HU is back in stock at a few places, such as Newegg, Amazon fulfilled through 'IP Camera Store', and this Provantage place for cheaper. Which one of those is best from a possible RMA perspective? If I order from Newegg am I just going to get somebody else's return?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Same here - want to enter into some sort of suicide pact?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Gwaihir posted:

Awww yeaaaa.:hf:

To follow up, I am still alive as the XB270HU finally arrived today and has one dead pixel, no dust or hair (crazy that needs to be mentioned...), and pretty minimal backlight bleed. Ducked out to set it up over lunch so just a cursory view but I'm feeling pretty lucky. Didn't really notice the 144hz just moving the mouse around on the desktop but looking forward to playing some games, needless to say.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Don Lapre posted:

Do you have the windows desktop set to 144hz? I can tell a HUGe difference in windows just going from 60 to 100hz

Holy poo poo, there it is. No question about it. This is awesome.

On closer inspection there's another two dead pixels and a little dust in a couple of the corners but overall it's a good one. I'll just not stare at a test screen long enough to change my initial impressions.

GSync is great, 3Dmark looked smooth at under 30fps. 144hz is great, it's like somebody buttered up the whole monitor experience. Love it.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 11, 2015

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
A couple of mine start working after massaging the area with a cleaning cloth so I'm down to one dead pixel, definitely worth a shot trying that.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Seems to me that no OP at all is better than a misleading / out of date one at this point.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Coming from a Monoprice monitor that practically required the use of f.lux at night to avoid painful eyeball searing, it's a pleasure to crank that brightness down.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Possibly somewhat relevant, but the ULMB feature on the XB270HU works really really well. So it's not just a good monitor for playing new games at max settings and feeling like your 40-odd FPS is higher than it is by using GSYNC, but you can pop open some 2d game or older game like TF2, switch over to 100Hz/ULMB, and really see the benefits there. ULMB didn't really factor into my decision to buy the monitor but it's a really nice feature.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

pr0zac posted:

If you get lucky like me and get one without bleed issues or dead pixels you will be super super happy with the thing I promise.

The only complaints I have are it only having a single input so plugging in my laptop to work from home is a 60 second process instead of a 15 second one and this thread and the GPU thread have me convinced that SLIed 970s aren't enough power to run the thing.

Yeah I got lucky as well with mine and (much like a lottery winner) do not regret buying my ticket, as it were.

I have SLI 970s as well and the nice thing about GSync is you just crank it all up and who gives a darn if the framerate is low sometimes. I did spend years on a laptop content with sometimes hitting 30fps if I was lucky so I may be undemanding in that area. I wouldn't do SLI again, though, just because of the random SLI-specific headaches.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Mine had the power button fail with just under two weeks left in the warranty. The replacement process was pretty painless but it didn't make me want to buy Monoprice next time.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Yeah I spin the mouse around on my 2nd monitor occasionally just to be 'wow, look at all those extra frames on the Acer' every now and again.

Turning on ULMB for the desktop is pretty good as well, you can slowly scroll a webpage and the text stays crystal clear - it's hard to explain if you haven't seen it but it's a huge difference (not one that enables you to do anything in particular but it is a bonus.)

Edit: I also am now annoyed by movies being at such a low framerate. I wasn't bothered by the Hobbit so maybe it's just me, but now I can pick out the individual frames when watching a movie and it's just not good. People say it's cinematic or whatever but really it's just what people are used to, and once you're used to something better you can perceive how lousy the old way is. But I appreciate it's a matter of individual taste.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 1, 2015

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
The OP is not up to date with any information.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I'm happy keeping my HU in ULMB mode by default. Partially because I'm playing fewer demanding 3d games but it's also just so amazingly smooth. Playing Pillars or something I'll still just stare at smoke from a fire and go 'woah... smooth.' (yes I smoke pot, why do you ask?)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I ordered the Samsung C27HG70 because I usually use it in low light rooms and I like having good blacks... reasonable choice?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Hm, thanks. I'm definitely going to be using FreeSync and at time the FPS would probably be 60-80 so even though I don't play fast-paced shooters or anything it sounds like ghosting could still be an issue.

Is there a different monitor you could recommend? My constraints are 27", 1440p, 144hz, Freesync or Gsync, and good in dim rooms with good contrast and deep blacks.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

K8.0 posted:

What happened to your XB270HU? That's still fairly close to the best you're going to do. You might get less backlight bleed and overall QC is much better on a newer 27" 1440/144/IPS monitor, but the panels are fundamentally not that different.

I think I got confused and thought the XB270HU was only 60hz... not sure how that happened. Well, OK! Honestly I kind of won the panel lottery on this one (only one dead pixel) so happy to keep it.

Maybe I was running into that thing with multiple monitors of varying refresh rates affecting the max. Or I was just... confused.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 21, 2019

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Try going to testufo.com in a browser on your high refresh rate monitor, and have something that is moving in the low refresh rate monitor (a Youtube video, a game of some sort, or just waggle the mouse around.) In my experience, the FPS on the high refresh rate will drop to the lower value.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Yeah I actually tried that again on my newly built computer and it's not doing that to me anymore - no idea if it was a driver update or what. It was definitely limiting me previously.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I'm considering getting an LG C1 as my living room TV/monitor; I'm a big Steam Link user so it'll be spending a lot of time on static images, web browser windows in certain places and so on, definitely very conducive to possible burn-in; as a percentage of time under use it's going to be static browser windows much more than games or movies. I've seen conflicting info on how big a problem this can be is for the C1. Any thoughts on that? I've also seen that purchasing from Best Buy might be a good idea because of more generous warranty replacement terms for this issue, is that still the case?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Yeah, that's my concern. Usually have a Youtube/video window snapped on the left and other stuff on the right and it sits like that from morning until evening when I relocate to the bedroom. But maybe I can go with a Samsung QLED display given the better bright room performance (I have a lot of windows/reflections going on) which would eliminate the burnin concerns as well as let me get the 'honkin chonkus' 85" model for not much more than the LG 77"... Man I miss my old plasma TV.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I use ClassicShell and hide/popup the taskbar from the left ~_~ but there's a lot of static elements on the screen, left side Youtube/video window area is up basically 18 hours a day every day unmoving (aside from the content itself OFC. But the screen as a whole is also just 'on desktop' much of the day, very long static use. Basically worst case for burn-in..)

Mozi fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 13, 2022