Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
This goes pretty far in depth as to what the different trims offer.
http://www.swiftworld.net/2012/04/14/budget-korean-27-ips-monitor-information-and-comparison-of-the-different-brands-and-models/#QH270-LITE

From what I'm reading, the $500 dollar ones, are just the $300 ones with more ports and some basic scaling. You're better off getting an adapter of some kind and getting the cheap one.

That being said, I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these bad boys
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CROSSOVER-2...#ht_7730wt_1163

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I mean in regards to displayport, there are plenty of adapters out there
http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=display+port

As far as scaling goes, that is best left to you video card if you have one capable. What are you trying to hook into the display that cannot output qhd?

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I upgraded from an asus 21" lcd to a samsung px2370 a year or so ago and it was a night and day difference. As far as I know, they were both tn panels. However the asus was a fluorescent backlit display.

If the dell 24" screens were as cheap then as they are now I would have probably gone that route.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Even the models with multiple ports, scaling etc do it terribly, and they cost twice as much. You're better off getting the hp at that point.

Honestly if you don't fit the criteria for the base model its really not worth getting.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I used a 1080 32" lg tv as a monitor for a short while. Luckily it had a pc mode that turned off all the visual junk. Otherwise. It wasn't too bad. Definitely prefer the density if my 24" screen though

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Great post.

120hz and 125fps in quake3 is probably the only thing I miss about my old CRT screens from long ago.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Carpet posted:

So I'm looking at one of the Korean 27" monitors, as they seem about the same price as the U2412M on Amazon, but I'm not sure if my 7850 HD would be able to cope with the latest games. Also, something else I haven't seen people talk about, is how well these monitors display older or other games in lower resolutions?

Actually it's mentioned quite frequently that they don't have built in scalers, and is part of the reason they're so cheap.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Aren't there special patterns you can use?

http://www.techmind.org/lcd/phasing.html
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/clock_phase.php

Been a while since I had a vga lcd..

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

bacon! posted:

NewEgg has the Dell 23" IPS that everyone likes for $200 over the weekend: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-24260055-L0A - requires a promotion code from their Super Saver email

I was down at microcenter yesterday, and although its not listed on the site, they have this for $179 in store still.

Almost pulled the trigger on it, but doesn't really seem like much of an upgrade from my samsung px2370

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Teaches of Peaches posted:

I have been looking around for a new screen and I can not seem to land on something that I really want. I want to get a larger ,higher resolution screen. My current one is 21', 1680x1050. I have been looking at some 27' screen but can't find anything that really sticks out to me. I have also read about people enjoying 120hz screens for gaming but that screens like the Ultrasharp have much better color but they don't support the higher refresh rate. If anyone has any good suggestions please let me know.

Oh yeah I guess price range would be 4-500 bucks.

This is kind of the same dilemma I'm in now as well. Guess with this there is no current monitor that let's us have our cake and eat it too.

Explains why so many people held on to their trinitrons for so long

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009222

Is this a good buy? I'm a heavy gamer and I was looking for a good 120hz 1920x1080 monitor.

Also, the monitor recommendations in the OP are seriously out of date, I checked a few and they were all discontinued :(

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313&Tpk=VG248QE&IsVirtualParent=1

If you want a 120hz monitor get either that, or the benq and enable nvidia lightboost as described here.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/motion_blur.htm

basically the fastest screen response time you can get with an lcd currently

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

d3rt posted:

Assuming I had the hardware to make the most of it, is there such a thing as a 120Hz 30" 2560 x 1600 monitor with low-to-zero input lag for gaming (I'm not MLG material but I do enjoy multiplayer FPS)? Or am I just an idiot wasting $$$?

Closest is a 1080 120hz 27" by A-Zeus

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Coredump posted:

Ignore the OP and start looking at TV's. I ran a 32" Samsung as my primary monitor for several years and it was awesome. Only reason I moved away from it was I need more on screen real estate. Having a remote, built in speakers, and all those inputs was awesome. Text looked fine, just had to turn my sharpness all the way down to 0. No screen door effect and couldn't see any individual pixels. The Samsung also had a spva panel instead of IPS and the colors, image quality, etc. compare favorably to the Dell U2713HM I now use.

Lot of tv's have a way to enable "PC" mode or something of the like as well, which pretty much turns them into monitors. My LG and sony both have this feature and it works pretty well

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

SteviaFan420 posted:

Can someone recommend me a 27" Glossy monitor that is good for gaming? The dell 27" is matte and I think the viewsonic VP2770 is also matte.

The monoprice screens are glossy I believe

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I've got the Asus 24" 144hz, and the refresh rate really is amazing. Every other computer I use now seems laggy. Even when not using lightboost there is a huge difference, and honestly the only games I bother enabling that in are twitch fps.

That being said, the viewing angles are fine as far as tn panels go. Personally I don't find myself bothered by how my monitor may be perceived in ways I'm not currently viewing it. The stand, which is great, helps with this.

The colors and contrast on the other hand were absolutely atrocious out of the box. It looks like they didn't even try. I used this guide when calibrating it, and it made a huge difference, but still pales in comparison to even your average tn panel.
http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/asus-vg248qe

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I really want to buy a 24 inch monitor this week, but can't decide on the best bang for my buck, and feel kind of clueless even after reading the OP. I use my PC pretty much for surfing the web and gaming.

First I was thinking about this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

But then I started thinking, "would I ever even need or notice the 1ms refresh time and 120refresh"? I have no problem paying a bit more for quality, but how much of it is gimmicky?

For 100 dollars less, there are something like a dozen nearly identical looking asus 24 inchers that are 2ms, like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236153 and This: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236102

How the hell am I supposed to tell the features on these apart? There are about 9 of these with slightly different model numbers all about the same price range.

Finally, a lot of gaming forums recommend the dell ultrasharps, but they all seem to have 8ms response times, and I thought anything over 5ms was generally frowned upon for gaming purposes. Did that change with IPS displays? I thought it was pretty much the consensus when I upgraded from my CRT to my current monitor.

Anyone able to give me some feedback? I just feel a bit overwhelmed and have no clue what to buy, and having dozens of really similar model numbers per manufacturer is a bit frustrating. I just want a good gaming monitor that's 24 inch and best cost efficiency, under $350. 200ish would be the sweet spot.

I literally just posted my trip report on that exact model not half a page ago. :cmon:

Also the 144hz motion doesnt lower input lag by anything noticeable, it lowers perceived motion blur which is something you're actually likely to notice vs 1 frame of lag.

BrettRobb posted:

I've got the Asus 24" 144hz, and the refresh rate really is amazing. Every other computer I use now seems laggy. Even when not using lightboost there is a huge difference, and honestly the only games I bother enabling that in are twitch fps.

That being said, the viewing angles are fine as far as tn panels go. Personally I don't find myself bothered by how my monitor may be perceived in ways I'm not currently viewing it. The stand, which is great, helps with this.

The colors and contrast on the other hand were absolutely atrocious out of the box. It looks like they didn't even try. I used this guide when calibrating it, and it made a huge difference, but still pales in comparison to even your average tn panel.
http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/asus-vg248qe

quaker69 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 12, 2013

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Where can you order from in Canada?

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Bob Log posted:

I'm a Semi-Hardcore competitive gamer, been eyeballing monitor tech for some time, seems like the ASUS VG248QE is pretty much as good as monitor tech is going to get for gamers for the foreseeable future (please point out if I'm wrong).

Amazon currently has it priced at 266+ Free S/H, seems like a good deal but does anyone have thoughts on the likelyhood of this having much of a sale associated with this or a better monitor before the end of the year?

Yes, its basically the same thing as the BenQ PROGAMER thing, but for about $100 or so less, and without a gaudy stand.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Copacabana posted:

Hey, I just got a VG248QE to go with my new desktop. When I powered it on for the first time, there was this off-center spot that was lighter than the rest of the screen. It looks like someone pressed their thumb into it. It's been a few days, and it's still there. I haven't done any monitor shopping in ages, so I don't know if I should expect this kind of thing with TN monitors, but it's been driving me

That's clearly a damaged monitor, not a tn thing. Personally I would send it back, especially if it bothers you.

Here's a pic I took of mine for example, with the brightnes set on 100.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
try ctrl + mousewheel, or see what the actual dpi settings are in windows

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

MrOnBicycle posted:

So my brother is returning his Dell U2312HM because it's not "smooth" enough in CSGO. He's been playing on a lovely CRT that is so blurry it made me nauseous when I visited. He's not looking for a 120hz monitor in the same range. Any suggestions? All I can find is stuff like the ASUS VE248H, which has no in depth reviews to be found.

Why wouldnt you want 120hz tn if a u2312 wasnt fast enough?

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Sir Unimaginative posted:

tn panels are bad, right guys?

I don't care why you hate tn dude, this has nothing to do with what he asked. I own a tn panel and ill be the first person to tell you not to buy one unless you're really into twitch gaming.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

dog nougat posted:

I'm going to be returning to school soon, pursuing certificates in animation and web programming. I'm looking at getting a better monitor. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-260-125

That monitor, or similar models go on sale regularly for about $550, or can be had refurbished for about $450. Or you can get a barebones korean version for about $300.

dog nougat posted:

This looks promising, if a bit pricey. It seems to be a high gamut monitor. My question is how necessary or helpful will a high resolution, high gamut monitor be for me when making digital media, art and websites?

It gives you a much larger work space, but so do multiple monitors.

quaker69 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 1, 2013

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Illuminati by Nature posted:

I'll look into that - cheers. Do you think 1920X1080 would be OK for gaming on a screen that size?

Low ppi and pc gaming don't really mix in my opinion. 1080p 27"screens are ok for consoles because they have a 10ft ui

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Isn't the 30fps just a limitation of the gpu or the hdmi? Just wait till its 60hz

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I thought you could daisy chain thunderbolt monitors? Why would you need to add additional thunderbolt ports? When I hookup my macbook air to a monitor I just use a thunderbolt to hdmi/dvi adapater

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5311&seq=1&format=2

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Jam2 posted:

You connect Air to Thunderbolt to Monoprice adapter to HDMI/DVI monitor?

AFAIK, you cannot use the Thunderbolt's passthrough to directly connect a DVI monitor. Reports indicate you must connect some other Thunderbolt peripheral and connect the DVI monitor to that.

It is for this reason that I have been looking at buying the cheapest possible Thunderbolt peripheral I can find. This appears to be a $150 hard drive dock. I'm holding out.

Oh that sucks. Yea I don't daisy chain mine, just run it to one screen

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

El Scotch posted:

QNIX report:

I've turned it back down to standard 60hz refresh rate, I tried it at 96 but my eyes were still noticing a darkening of the screen that didn't sit well with me.

I'm not bothered by not overclocking it, at the end of the day I managed to snag a lovely 1440p monitor for 300 bucks, so I'm quite satisfied with my drunken purchase. I might just buy more down the road.

Just got mine today, waiting on the second one.

Using the icc profile from this review and it looks pretty goddamn amazing. This thing has surpassed my highest expectations.
http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/monitor-reviews-discussion/13500-qnix-qx2710-review-2560x1440-matte-overclock-able-pls.html#post1016077

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Gnomedolf posted:

I've ordered a Qnix. I'm looking at video cards to use with it that won't break the bank too badly. How would a GTX 760 do for gaming at this resolution?

I'm running dual 460s which is a little slower than the 760. And it does ok, but I think the 760 would handle it better with the extra ram.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Second qnix arrived today, picture just as perfect as the first one. Desk mount still hasn't arrived, but the regular stands actually aren't that bad.

:pcgaming::pcgaming:

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Jack the Lad posted:

Yeah, 33 is kinda bad.

What's everyone who's overclocking their Qnixes playing that they can benefit from 90+hz?

Increasing to 96hz decreases motion blur quite a bit, and makes it a clean multiple of 24. The biggest "benefit" is that it looks better.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Nondescript Van posted:

I'm planning on getting a 27" monitor somewhat soon and I would like a suggestion or two. That Dell one I've seen recommened in the OP(s) is outside my price range. I'm looking for one close to the $400-$500 range. I was looking at this overlord computer one as well as these two Monoprice monitors. I'm not sure which is the best for me.

I don't really care about the 120Hz refresh touted on the overlord one. I'm not much of a hardcore gamer (although I do play games occasionally). Color reproduction is more important than gaming performance since I do photoshop and 3d texture stuff, but not at a level to where I can justify a $700+ monitor.

Any direction you could point me would be great, even if you just tell me I'm dumb and should save my money instead for a dell or something.

The Dell U2713HM goes on sale for $550 at lot if you want to spring for one of those.

Otherwise I'd say of the 3 you listed, the cheaper monoprice one is the way to go. Although I doubt they're any different than the many 27" Korean IPS and PLS panels. I'm personally using 2 Qnix QX2710s that I picked up for $270

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Gnomedolf posted:

My Qnix 27" is perfect except for what looks like a big fingerprint smear underneath the glossy glass. I can't see it on white or black backgrounds, but I can on everything else. The seller has agreed to pay for the return. Before I return it, I have ordered a ASUS PB278Q to see if it is any better of a screen and to see if it's worth the extra money.

What is the general consensus on the ASUS PB278Q?

I actually took the glass off mine since all it does is add glare. There's still regular matte ag coating behind the glass, which is probably what that fingerprint is on

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

veedubfreak posted:

I have a 30" hp and 24" NEC at work. Had this set up for at least 4 years. Eyestrain mainly comes from a monitor that has flicker or really lovely text.

Gonna ask again. Anyone happen to have experience with both of these monitors that can help me decide? Going to be picking up 3 for surround/eyefinity.

http://www.amazon.com/PB278Q-27-Inc...ds=1440+monitor
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-U2713HM-...words=dell+1440

Well the pls can do 96hz at least since it's the Samsung pls panel. Also they tend to have less aggressive ag coating than dell/lg

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Don't worry with the rate people send monitors back for minor backlight bleed in this thread the outlet should be pretty well stocked

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Don't expect monoprice quality control to be any better than the eBay vendors. Half the poo poo I order from there I end up sending back. Even until just recently they used the same bezel as half the ones on eBay.

In my opinion either spring for a dell/Asus or get whatever eBay/micocenter wqhd monitor is trending cheapest because the in between models aren't worth it.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

I'm using this one also for two 27" and it works great.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Jack the Lad posted:

Could it hold a 24" and a 27", or do they have to be matched?

Would work fine but the height cannot be adjusted independently

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Jack the Lad posted:

Rad. Which model did you get?

I'm running 2 qnix at 96hz. There are icc profiles to account for the darkening at 96hz. The input lag and response time is really nice, but doesn't compare to my 144hz tn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Yes. Playing cs or quake live with lightboost is amazing. Any shooter would benefit too I guess.

The only reason I run 96hz on my workstation is because I'm so spoiled by the Asus, otherwise I probably wouldn't bother